Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tanveer

Problem with PC - Reboots when I try to enter OS

I have a dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu PC. Since last 2-3 days, it reboots on its own and I see the screen attached. If I press f2, I can boot into any of the systems but then the system reboots again. What can be the problem and possible solutions? I hope my hard disk is not failing. I am tired of corrupt hard disks

Specs of my desktop

intel Core 2 duo 2.4ghz processor

4 GB DDR 2 ram

Asus motherborad

post-976-0-40060000-1338216580_thumb.jpg

Edited by tanveer

There is nothing that we can tell by your screen shot ... It's normal

I think the problem lies in your PC CPU fan or SMPS fan - or your system is getting heated by other means.

Needs Chilling

lemonade-girl-drink-summer.jpg

Both fans are working. How do I diagnose the problem?

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Try changing RAM

Tanveer just check the cpu and motherboard Temperature while the machine is up and running, once i faced similar issue due to faulty Processor fan and the CPU temperature was going too High. And does that F1 F2 option comes every time you boot your machine..

I will suggest you clean the CPU unit and check if the problem still persist..

Tanveer just check the cpu and motherboard Temperature while the machine is up and running, once i faced similar issue due to faulty Processor fan and the CPU temperature was going too High. And does that F1 F2 option comes every time you boot your machine..

I will suggest you clean the CPU unit and check if the problem still persist..

As I said the fan is working. Will check the temperature. About that F1 F2 thing, I know it appears on every boot. But only for a split second. And then it automatically goes to boot menu.

reload the windows os if the problem is cropping up too much.....os gets corrupred sometimes...

I get the problem with both OS. So I think it is hardware related only

BIOS is not reporting any problem - its only saying it couldn't load saved settings.

This happens either on hardware change OR because BIOS CMOS battery is down so it can no longer keep BIOS settings saved and loads defaults every time. There's nothing wrong with any hardware or OS or windows/linux Bootloaders

Do the following:-

1. Press F1 to go into BIOS and then select option to "Save and Exit". Then reboot.

2. If you still get the same message try removing your USB mouse and rebooting and do F1 >> Save again once.

3. If you still get the message then replace your BIOS CMOS battery

There's no issue if you keep using the PC with F2 load defaults every time till you get time to replace cmos battery. Its not critical.

Edited by ami1

Thanks a lot ami1. Already tried 1. Shall try 2 and report back. How difficult and expensive is 3?

Thanks a lot ami1. Already tried 1. Shall try 2 and report back. How difficult and expensive is 3?

cmos battery costs 20-100 bucks at the max.

but did you try getting into safe mode of windows. does it still boot up. at least that will confirm whether ur windows is faulty.

cos if it still does its definitely hardware issue.

how is ur ram distributed. if you have empty slots then pls change ram from existing slots. sometimes there something that deposits

over time and makes it difficult for system to read ram and it goes into boot cycle.

cmos battery costs 20-100 bucks at the max.

but did you try getting into safe mode of windows. does it still boot up. at least that will confirm whether ur windows is faulty.

cos if it still does its definitely hardware issue.

how is ur ram distributed. if you have empty slots then pls change ram from existing slots. sometimes there something that deposits

over time and makes it difficult for system to read ram and it goes into boot cycle.

Not safe mode but I tried a different os (linux) I said. Still the same problem. I have 2x2gb.

Tanveer you still didn't told abt your CPU temp while usage.. try speedfan to check the temperature. And CMOS battery will never cause the OS to reboot and the change is only required if you are getting that F! & F2 page every time you boot the machine and it should never cost more than 25/- rupees

Tanveer Ji, its seems to be faulty RAM.

In your PC, if you have 2 dimms installed then try removing 1 and check whether your problem get solved or not.

Since it is a dual boot there should be a grub. It may be that there is some problem with the grub. I think you can go for a new grub.

Sorry, I didn't read the rebooting issue. I thought you are worried about the F1 F2 problem only. Please ignore earlier post.

Boot with a ubuntu livecd (or any other linux live cd or live usb) and see if LiveCD OS also reboots after running for some time.

If it doesn't, then it should be HDD problem. If it does, then its probably RAM or CPU. Or maybe a loose connection in your power supply or power switch etc.

You can also run 'memory check' option on boot menu of ubuntu livecd or any other livecd. This option should also be there in most BIOS.

If its not HDD or RAM then check cpu temp.

Usually if an OS stops due to critical hardware error (like hard disk etc) then windows will give a blue screen with error num and linux will give a kernel panic screen with details. If these don't come up then it could be power supply issue or sudden errors in CPU or RAM.

See if windows error logs last event gives you anything.

I tried to disconnect the mouse. Did not work. I checked the cpu temp. Attached SS

Please opine

post-976-0-57948700-1339003690_thumb.jpg

Run the memory check in BIOS. If its OK then Boot with a livecd and see if it still reboots. See if you have a disk check option in bios, if its there you can use that instead of livecd.

These 2 things should tell you about any memory / hard disk problems.

Mostly it seems to be a memory problem...it normally behaves like that incase of memory prob....may be remove memory, clean it properly and re-plug it.

Is the temperature ok??

No

Hi tanveer ji,

You can try once by changing your keyboard & mouse or SMPS. Just in case if any problem in it. :wacko:

Sent from my Fascinate using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5