Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
::: VA :::

Imported CDMA Handsets - Is It Worth The Efforts?

I will start listing from a simple user point of view.

1. Go during operative hours to get your no. transfer to handset

2. Get nv dump file for data settings when its not flashed and learn to flash it

3. You can't get evdo active on your own, request your seller and wait.

4. Pay more than gsm 3g rates and get speed max 3.1 in comparison to gsm

5. If you sell your phone follow all these steps for new phone plus removing stuff from old one. Not to forget get your old rsn released.

6. Cc or web world guys never understand your requests.

7. No warranty on imported phones.

8. No ussd or instant data usage & balance

9. Updating ota or custom rom often takes away network n data settings

None of these tensions on gsm, instant get your no. & data active. Similar call rates but faster n cheaper data. Warranty if indian handset. Cc would understand if you still get stuck.

I have bought eleven handsets till date for my friends family and relatives. They were from 4 different sellers. Most from a single one. Til now only success in evdo on 2 handsets.

So I thought is it worth waiting trying efforts for such basics when you can have them instantly on gsm.

The only advantage I see is that your handsets are cheaper than their gsm counterpart but the difference is not huge if you buy grey market stuff without warranty in gsm too.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

No one can deny these points except perhaps one about handset prices. Some of CDMA handsets are very cheap.

Prices are pricey now a days for CDMA premium handset and difference between GSM and CDMA counter part is not so much. But one fact is CDMA handsets has better specs than that of GSM. Also may be because of easy MEID registration processes and growth in China CDMA market, US prices have gone up.

One advantage I see with CDMA is in data roaming. I am not sure how GSM charge for data while roaming. but in Reliance its not additionally charged.

Better get OMH RUIM+ GSM SIM supported phones - HTC Droid Incredible 2 or Motorola Droid 3.

No hassle in number change or data access.

Better get OMH RUIM+ GSM SIM supported phones - HTC Droid Incredible 2 or Motorola Droid 3.

moved my dad's eris to dinc2 and got an omh.

still trying to figure out how to get evdo on it for him.

even though i put apn details but no data at all.

his eris had evdo after lot of efforts and help by rimgurus.

All said is true, but I think the advantage is call clarity and coverage and calling charges, CDMA has edge over GSM in this

One advantage I see with CDMA is in data roaming. I am not sure how GSM charge for data while roaming. but in Reliance its not additionally charged.

I have 100 MB of free data on Idea. It works perfectly fine on Moto XT800 with no additional charge on roaming.

Add Motorola XT800 in this series. I am extremely satisfied since last 6 months.

moved my dad's eris to dinc2 and got an omh.

still trying to figure out how to get evdo on it for him.

even though i put apn details but no data at all.

his eris had evdo after lot of efforts and help by rimgurus.

I am able to use EVDO on Motorola XT800 without any hassles. First I went to Web World and got an OMH in 15 min. flat. In the late evening requested CC to activate EVDO and it got activated by morning.

on GSM front, BSNL and MTNL don't charge extra for national roaming.

First link doesn't point to any specific information. But, I understand your doubt. However, I m getting idea bills for last 5 months and they never charged me for using data in roaming. I use it in maharashtra and gujarat.

Sent from my XT800 using Tapatalk 2

I am using my GSM number as standby only and frankly reliance network performance is far better than airtel, idea and docomo GSM (in preferred priority). I have switched my GSM number from airtel - docomo - vodafone - idea and found vodafone most congested but best network signal strength :ranting: , Airtel highly fluctuating probably because of 1800 mHz here, docomo uses videocon and aircel for 2G so pathatic, 3G where available excellent - poor indoor coverage though. Idea is average and stable amongst all in Ahmedabad

Anyways, my logic to discuss this was to let other members make informed decision about data charges on GSM. It take away all joy of simplicity of GSM when slapped with huge data bill :bash:

I use R-CDMA for local and STD voice and SMS services and MTNL for 3G data and ISD services. I have been using this model for last 2 years and this gives me the lowest monthly cost.

MTNL 3G provides several data recharge options. I am using Rs.250 for 2 GB per month with 1 KB pulse and free data roaming all over India on BSNL network. MTNL also used to offer Re.1/min ISD to US, Canada & UK. Last month they have increased to Rs2/min but still not a bad option. In addition to normal ISD, I also use Viber App for VOIP through handset

Guys I use 3g prepaid packs on roaming and have never read or felt that my pack got consumed faster. Normally I take 500 or 300 mb per month.

So didn't know if it made difference.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I use Reliance on HTC EVO and MTS on Samsung Corby. Due to the nature of my daily activity I cannot use EVO as my regular phone. (Now I use it only on Sundays and when I go outstation.) That leaves me with Corby. Unfortunately MTS data could not be activated on this and I decided to go for a GSM number. Got a number of my choice from BSNL from their website offer and activated it. Searched for a good and cheap non android phone. Bought this from ebay (It was cheaper than the present rate).

The phone serves me two purposes. A cheap HS with all the features. Activation was not a problem when compared to the struggle I had with my EVO. But still I thank this forum for the help I got.

The frustration of not getting data on Corby made me go for a GSM HS. There it was giffy. Now I got the idea of why many average people prefer GSM.

They say the reason for not getting data on Corby MTS is MNP. I stopped bothering with this.

Thats what I want to mention here. call or network quality isn't all that superior at least to be noticed by an average user. To make it worth the literal hardship for basic things like activation n data. I see alot of ppl today use data n messengers n facebook. But none that swear by cdma making it better experience.

It's like an apple user never considers android smart or intuitive enough, similarly we talk of cdma.

Had it been like usa where you have expert customer care or forums run by service provider who understand n act to what you need. Unlike in our country where cdma service providers are allergic to anything above basic. Which makes the experience tiring n tragic.

Even I was in same dilemma initially. I would say about 4 years ago when I first bought HTC Touch 6900. After that, I bought many handsets from the forum members and there was never any problem. All the queries were handled by the seller. I never had trouble of registering MEID, starting EVDO, porting number to new handset etc. The seller would handle it all.

I've purchased about 12 phones from 3 different sellers of the forum. Never ever had a problem.

Unfortunately, none of the CDMA operators are getting phones that we really like. So this forum provides a platform where we can enjoy the best phones out there. Just imagine, without this forum, using iPhone or Droids or Epics on Reliance or Tata. I agree at times you face problem but then according to me, that can be considered as "trade-off". I've also seen people buying from ebay and they dont know how to get MIED registered and face problem. I always purchase from reputed seller on the forum and hence assured that there will not be any problem.

I agree with VA that GSM is hassle free and for average users it does not make any difference be it GSM or CDMA. But I use RCDMA as it is the only cost effective currently. My entire family is on GSM and they are ripped off while roaming.

I also enjoy the "different", never seen handsets that are available on the forum.

I second all the opinions of vandan ji... I am also the victim of same. I am using reliance on imported handset since 2008. Started with blackberry 8830 and now on evo3d. None of the handset I was able to do anything without the help of our rimgurus. I am still waiting for number transfer on fascinate which I sold one month earlier. Its so frustating I can't explain.

i totally agree with the credentials of this forum and the gurus helping selflessly.

but i dont like to wait so much for simple stuff and mail / pm gurus over petty things on & off.

follow different threads to confirm or know development for os upgrade, omh support, data settings, etc

anything for that matter.

very honestly i think its the only factor that drives this forum that we users are able to get latest international fancy

smart-phones or simple phones for cheap. and then the follow ups regarding features & abilities. discussing possible plans

options and stuff.

but i often imagine how much time i can save & utilize if i simple buy a billed & warranty gsm handset. probably wouldnt have to

look into any forum even 10% of current times for mobile phone related things.

just a small example. i recently bought dinc2 for my dad. the first day itself it showed ota update and i was excited. i downloaded it

but it failed to install. just like that i asked the respected seller (now a friend as well) and he told me i would have bricked the phone if

i had successfully updated it. as in all the settings which make it universal would blow.

moral of the story - an android phone with oem ota update and you cant do it without first going through our forum to know the pros & cons.

just because its a cdma imported handset not meant actually to run here. yeah its a small price for some but as the title of this thread says -

Is it worth the efforts?

P.S. I dont intend to draw or reach any conclusions through this thread, its just to draw attention, discuss & seek/give opinion over something now

so many of us deal with.

I will start listing from a simple user point of view.

1. Go during operative hours to get your no. transfer to handset

2. Get nv dump file for data settings when its not flashed and learn to flash it

3. You can't get evdo active on your own, request your seller and wait.

4. Pay more than gsm 3g rates and get speed max 3.1 in comparison to gsm

5. If you sell your phone follow all these steps for new phone plus removing stuff from old one. Not to forget get your old rsn released.

6. Cc or web world guys never understand your requests.

7. No warranty on imported phones.

8. No ussd or instant data usage & balance

9. Updating ota or custom rom often takes away network n data settings

None of these tensions on gsm, instant get your no. & data active. Similar call rates but faster n cheaper data. Warranty if indian handset. Cc would understand if you still get stuck.

I have bought eleven handsets till date for my friends family and relatives. They were from 4 different sellers. Most from a single one. Til now only success in evdo on 2 handsets.

So I thought is it worth waiting trying efforts for such basics when you can have them instantly on gsm.

The only advantage I see is that your handsets are cheaper than their gsm counterpart but the difference is not huge if you buy grey market stuff without warranty in gsm too.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I think this is quite a relevant topic. I do admit that I am using an imported handset which I bought from Saddik here itself and I personally have not faced any problems, both in getting my number shifted to the handset or activating EVDO (not once but twice after I had to shift circles). However, the ease with which the same is available with GSM handsets is sadly lacking as far as "decent" CDMA sets are concerned. Either the sets require numbers to be programmed which noobs obviously cant undertake or else the OMH handsets are expensive or else very basic. So in most ways, it is a no-win situation. Even when we have to sell these handsets, it becomes quite a pain trying to make the Webworld guys understand the nuances of the problem.

Not withstanding all that, I will still try to correct a few errors in the opening post.

EVDO activation does not require seller intervention after the parameters are entered correctly. It is only a matter of making the customer care understand what exactly you want.

Post reduction of 3G rates by most GSM operators, it is cheaper using a GSM connection for net rather than 3.1 Mbps (theoretical) on CDMA. I guess this is a recent happening and earlier, EVDO rates were definitely much cheaper than comparable 3G rates.

Getting a customer care guy to try and understand that you want your phone to be declared as "lost or stolen" can be definitely a trying experience especially in small towns. So shifting of a number does become a pain. However, I definitely found it pretty simple in Mumbai.

Warranty does not exist since these phones are imported on a "as-is" basis. Most sellers however do try and address issues (especially if defects happen within initial periods where the buyer is not at fault). And then what happens if your high end GSM phone develops issues on the 366th day?

OTA updates and custom roms do not remove your number and data settings unless you have been playing around with stuff without really understanding issues. Again, you cant blame anyone other than yourself for fiddling around with settings unnecessarily. Here, even if you play around with GSM phones, the warranty becomes null and void.

Not withstanding all that, I will still try to correct a few errors in the opening post.

EVDO activation does not require seller intervention after the parameters are entered correctly. It is only a matter of making the customer care understand what exactly you want.

Which they never understands or say 99.9999999999999% doesn't understand. So u have to search those 0.0000000000001% fellows.

Getting a customer care guy to try and understand that you want your phone to be declared as "lost or stolen" can be definitely a trying experience especially in small towns. So shifting of a number does become a pain. However, I definitely found it pretty simple in Mumbai.

I am trying to release my RSN and transfer new number on Fascinate from last 1 month. Tried almost 7 webworlds numerous times in mumbai only. Panvel to CST. Still NO success.

Rahul Bhai no offence just my frustration in above reply.

Thanks to parin and other rimwebians who helps selflessly in these matters.

Also adding to these the most frustrating time is when u sell ur handset to someone else. Personally I don't like to disturb my original seller for all the stuff again but as I said from last 4 years I didn't get any success with reliance I have to disturb them. Which I feel very embarrassing.

Also adding to these the most frustrating time is when u sell ur handset to someone else. Personally I don't like to disturb my original seller for all the stuff again but as I said from last 4 years I didn't get any success with reliance I have to disturb them. Which I feel very embarrassing.

I agree with you there. Having to disturb the original seller again and again is quite am embarrassing situation and something which is unique only to imported programmable handsets. Well I guess most of the sellers here have got more or less resigned to the fact that they could be doing the same job more than once and almost like a "life time support" each time!

I have visited a WW near RBI and the person there sounded knowledgeable enough regarding ability to transfer an existing number out of my handset to a RUIM and vice versa. Why dont you try there? Plus, EVDO activation happened on the phone through 198.

Regards

Rahul

PS: No offence taken ! :duel:

OTA updates and custom roms do not remove your number and data settings unless you have been playing around with stuff without really understanding issues. Again, you cant blame anyone other than yourself for fiddling around with settings unnecessarily. Here, even if you play around with GSM phones, the warranty becomes null and void.

its not the same case with every phone. will illustrate with two examples. did a hard reset to htc eris & incredible. and they were back on sprint. even though they were registered phones. had to load prl, nam & nv dump file again to get them working. which is not an easy thing for everyone. unless u have mugged ur head here & learnt it. have all the drivers and most difficult (a windows xp machine).

i recently did a soak test ota for moto photon n same thing happened all network settings were gone. so its different case for different phones.

I do agree with you VA that it may not be the same with every phone nor do I judge your capabilities. As I said, it is a pain especially for newbies used to GSM handsets who feel thrilled on being introduced to ultra cool handsets. However, all said and done, the efforts of all the power sellers out here cannot be belittled and am sure many would be willing to help out in case any one of us do get stuck. However, yes, the fact that we are so "dependent" on someone else for even seemingly trivial issues can prove to a damper for most people.

Please ppl read this post

I had started this thread when got troubled with data then evdo.

As til date evo 4g & incredible are waiting for evdo while evo design didn't even get 1x.

I love this forum and keep making my friends n relatives move to cdma. Can't even get them high speed data easily :unsure: