Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
kshah

Motorola Razr Maxx - Actual Use Review

Lot has been written about battery life of Droid RAZR MAXX over the internet and every one agree to the fact that it gives best possible battery life in compact most possible package.

Last month I was on a day trip to Mumbai, I disconnected photon from charger at 530 AM and was to return by 530 evening, however flight got delayed and when landed at 700 PM in Ahmedabad, battery was showing 10%, phone remained in airplane mode for about 2 hours out of total usage of about 13.5 hours.

What I did during the day time was made calls of about 15-20 minutes, used tapatalk for aobut an hour and replied few emails. Total screen ON time was 1 hour 10 minutes + EVDO data thats all. This really put me off and decided to either quit android if I do not get good battery life. HetalDP suggested me to look into RAZR MAXX. Hence this phone.

I got my Droid RAZR MAXX few days back but could not post review because I had no LTE SIM require to enable data on it - after upgrading to ICS

Pros

1. Excellent battery life

2. Very slim for 3300 mAh batter.

3. AMOLED display (I like AMOLED display, though LCD are more natural in color and looks more real. For those who love to watch movies on screen AMOLED is too artificial)

Cons

1. Because I am coming from photon, I find it too slim to hold. :-)

2. Non user removable battery

3. Upgrade to ICS require LTE SIM From verizon else DATA do not work.

4. 5-6 hours charging time.

5. Not available for cheap.

Real batter life screen shots

USAGE PATTERN - 1

Week day usage, screen time about 2 hours 55 minutes hours, heavy data, moderate calling (40-50 minutes) - Battery after about 15 hours 50%, I recharged battery further.

post-842-0-62942500-1342863232_thumb.pngpost-842-0-09295200-1342863302_thumb.pngpost-842-0-10102000-1342863316_thumb.png

May last for max 24 hours

USAGE PATTERN - 2

Removed charger on 19th morning at 6 AM, data continuous ON, WIFi OFF, BT ON

Battery after 1 DAY 15 HOURS 10%

post-842-0-99875900-1342863693_thumb.pngpost-842-0-61545000-1342863721_thumb.png

USAGE OF BATTERY WHEN 10% left

post-842-0-83241500-1342863743_thumb.pngpost-842-0-71621300-1342863868_thumb.pngpost-842-0-69198800-1342863883_thumb.pngpost-842-0-47501100-1342863909_thumb.pngpost-842-0-50176600-1342863932_thumb.pngpost-842-0-50176600-1342863932_thumb.pngpost-842-0-58252000-1342863958_thumb.png

OVERALL experiance, pleasant because so far none of smart phone has given such good battery life.

• Like 6

Good nice review Sir,

i also got it for my friend and upgrades to ICS, he using GSM idea for 3g

i am not able to get data working in it after trying APN and disable LTE from ##program not even Edge

*#*#4636#*#* phone info shows no GPRS connection

Please guide me how to get data - Thanks

Change SIM setting to COMMERCIAL

dial ##program-> 14 LTE test -> sim type commercial reboot

steps you suggested are good for bionic EVDO data. GSM data works ONLY IF SIM TYPE IS commercial.

• Like 2

7aa81ea6-825f-8e0a.jpg

Thank you very much Sir - I got the data

Good review being a motorola fan i find razr series the best and with super amoled display it rocks.

And by the way the kevlar body of razr is what the batman suit is made of saw in the movie dark knight.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Cons

4. 5-6 hours charging time.

I am no electrical engineer but read this info somewhere on the net...

Stock motorola charger that comes with the phone is .750 amp whereas android system log through BATTD for the phone displays the following information:

Minimum voltage before poweroff: 3050mV

Maximum voltage before charger disconnect: 4350mV

Charging current: 1850mA

Conclusion is that the phone can safely make use of a 5.1V charger with a higher ~1.5 amp output thereby resulting in faster charging time.

Some user was able to charge the battery to 100% in under 3 hours by using even a 1.0 amp charger.

@ Doctor saab

Welcome

@rajan

3 V is critical voltage and safety circuit cutoff battery from any further discharge to prevent deep discharge and permanent damage to the battery cell. Therefore voltage is 3.050 V not 3.000 V

cell phone battery operate between 3.7 - 4.2 V

Higher the current higher would be temperature, hence cell phone manufacturer seldom exceed 1000 mA chargers due to safety issue.

Have a razr maxx and agree with kalpak bhai, i am getting couple of days without a charge, with data on 24 hours time , this is what every smartphone manufacturer need to achieve, no fear of being out of touch becuase you are away from a power source.

Just love the phone

Was happily using Maxx for the past 2 months with excellent battery life, used to give me 6-8 hrs of talk time with 3 hrs of screen time and continuous Evdo on (although data was a little erratic with some data on off toggle required multiple times in a day). Now foolishly upgraded to ICS and is screwed with no data, understand u need an LTE sim from verizon to get data working, but question is even if i get an LTE from verizon it will not be activated one and once i use it with my reliance number will it enable data on my cell??

Any other means of getting data without lte sim on ics, which i am stuck on as cant roll back to ginger bread now. :-(

You need a verizon lte sim for data in razr with ics non activated sim would also do.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Any one who can spare an LTE sim for me please. Been more than 2 weeks without data now :(

Pm me address I got sim yesterday only, my cost is 450 bucks

My RAZR MAXX is DEAD.

Yesterday while working on office table I mistakenly cut charger cable and micro USB pin got snapped. WHile reconnecting and checking both wire got short for a while and phone got shut down.

It came up again but stopped charging. It shows charging but do not charge at all.

Any suggestion or help?

I hv a photon with the same problem but surprisingly is charged using a USB cable on a laptop/PC. Try if it works on the maxx also.

Thanks, let me try that..

My RAZR MAXX is DEAD.

Sorry to hear the news ... any luck in rejuvenating it ?

Not yet. BTW I found ineresting thing while looking for solution, it could be helpful for many motrola users a FACTORY CABLE

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/146492-how-why-make-your-own-motorola-factory-cable.html

I made one it detected phone once but then some how processed stopped while flashing and now nothing is happening.

It seems battery has gone.

On moto site my phone is showing under warranty so planning to send back to them and see what happen.

• Like 1

On moto site my phone is showing under warranty so planning to send back to them and see what happen.

Good idea .. pls keep us posted on the result ..thanks

@ Kshah,

I am too planning to Send my Moto Photon as it is also under warranty and I am getting replacement. My Photon is suffering from Short Term Memory Loss (LoLz like in Ghajini).

Let me know how r u planning to send it and the cost to coz sending thru DHL is a rip-off

Thx

I tired to create RMA but some how it is not accepting phone number even though it is US number. I will try after day or two

I sent phone to US our has been received buy them before 2 days, let's see what happens

Which courier service did you use and how much did it cost please.

Please excuse typos and brevity, sent while mobile.

I have contract for international shipment with one courier guy who send shipment by best courier, this time he used DHL and charges should be less than 900

Will come to know once we raise Bill

Edited by kshah

I have contract for international shipment with one courier guy who send shipment by best courier, this time he used DHL and charges should be less than 900

Will come to know once we raise Bill

DHL is minimum 1300

& Delivers in 3days