Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
phonegeek

Don't reduce Broadband Speed Below 256 Kbps in any Tariff Plan after FUP: TRAI

In order to further improve transparency in Broadband services, India’s telecom watchdog Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has today issued a Direction to all Telecom / Broadband service providers (Wireless and Wireline) on for delivering Broadband services in a transparent manner by providing adequate information to broadband consumers specially on Fair Usage Policy (FUP) with Unlimited Plans.

TRAI-Sets-2G-Spectrum-Reserve-Price-Higher-Than-3G.jpg

TRAI also clarified that Broadband speed should not be reduced or slashed below 256 kbps in any tariff Plan with FUP offered as “Broadband” (Mobile/Wire-line) by service providers.

TRAI said that all Broadband service providers must provide adequate information on Fair Usage Policy (FUP); to ensure that speed of broadband connection is not reduced below the minimum speed specified and to provide alert to consumers when their data usage reaches 80% and 100% of the data usage limit bundled with the plan.

TRAI said that many consumer complaints that under Unlimited broadband plans with Fair Usage Policy (FUP), being offered by the Service providers, the consumers are offered higher speed upto a certain data download limit (e.g. 5 GB or 10 GB) and once this limit is reached, the broadband speed gets reduced to a lower level and in some cases it falls below 256 Kbps.

TRAI’s Directive to Telecom/Broadband Service Providers :
  • Broadband Service Provider on their website and also in all advertisements published through any media, the following information in respect of all broadband tariff plans offered under Fair Usage Policy: – (i) data usage limit with higher speed; (ii) speed of connection upto data usage limit; and (iii) speed of connection beyond data usage limit.

• All aove information must be specified in printed form to the new subscribers on their enrolment and to existing subscribers through email on their registered email address and through SMS on their mobile numbers registered with the service providers.

• Ensure that speed of broadband connection is not reduced, in all broadband tariff plans, below the minimum speed of 256 Kbps as specified in
    Quality of Service of Broadband Service Regulations 2006.

• Provide alert to the customer at the time of login to the network of the service provider when his data usage reaches eighty percent of the data usage limit bundled with the plan and to ensure that such 4 alert shall be provided at each login after data usage crosses the said limit of eighty percent.

• Send alert to the customer either through SMS on his mobile number registered with the service provider or to his registered email, each time when the data usage by the customer reaches eighty percent and hundred percent of the data usage limit bundled with plan opted by the customer, or through Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) at each login by the customer after the data usage reaches eighty percent of the data usage limit bundled with his plan.

http://telecomtalk.info/trai-telcos-dont-reduce-broadband-speed-below-256-kbps-in-tariff-plan-after-fup/97560/

yeah dont advertise as broadband!!

problem solved

:D

BSNL Broadband is best for me :)

550 Combo :) upto 2 mbps speed :)

2 am to 8 am Unlimited ( Generally upto 3.5 Gb gets download in these 6 hrs )

175 calls free & 1.5 GB for a month.

BSNL Broadband is best for me :)

550 Combo :) upto 2 mbps speed :)

2 am to 8 am Unlimited ( Generally upto 3.5 Gb gets download in these 6 hrs )

175 calls free & 1.5 GB for a month.

Even I'm on a similar plan. Bb combo 600 after govt discount is 480. Monthly download easily reaches 140 gb. No one offers this plan in India.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

My Plan is BB Unlimited of rs 499!!!!

Does anybody have idea that when the minimum speed be increased to 512 KBPS and then to 1 MBPS

I think it would have been better if TRAI had suggested that reduced speed should not be below the 1/4th of highest plan speed. ie if you opted for 8Mbps then speed should not be less than 2Mbps, for 4Mbps and so on. currently irrespective of your plan, once you reached your data limit, speed drops to 256kbps which is not a broadband as per new definition.

• Sad 1

good move by TRAI

TRAI had recently said that it would redefine the broadband speed by upto 2 MBPs then how can it limit it to 256 kbps again

lets hope trai raises the min speed to 512 kbps from 256 soon