Interest check: G-Box II Android TV Box running JellyBean

Here is the homepage for the box http://androidtvbox.us/

I originally found this on XDA http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1835588

Specifications:

CPU : Powerful Rockchip Cortex Processor at 1.2GHz

GPU: Mali400 Quad Core 3D Graphics Accelerator

RAM: 1GB DDR3 Dual Buffered

STORAGE: 4GB Internal

(2.2GB for files, 512mb for apps, 1.3GB for Android OS)!

External Storage Supported: 32GB via SD, HDD via USB

OS: Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) - note the EBay description says 4.1

Connections: (4) Highspeed USB, HDMI, SD Card Reader, Optical Audio, Composite Video, Stereo Audio

A review

http://forum.xda-dev...49&postcount=17

To everyone...as as Android user for several years now, and a fan of anything user friendly enough to make nice with my network, while allowing me to tinker and expand, thus far...this thing works! And it works well. First let me tell you what I have...its the G Box I, and it looks like the only differences between the Gbox II are the case size, and additional ports: Here are the specs:

Mali400 Quad Core 3D GPU

Rockchip Cortex A8 CPU

1GB RAM

4GB* Storage

USB Storage Extendable (Flash Drives/HDD)

SD Storage Extendable (Up to 32GB!)

802.11g Wifi

HDMI Out

Audio/Video Out

Y/Pb/Pr Out (G-Box II)

2x USB 2.0 Ports (G-Box I)

4x USB 2.0 Ports (G-Box II)

First of all, It is 4.1... it is Jelly Bean! They did create a custom interface overlay, but you still have access to all the apps, settings, etc...and full google play store access. They include a media center app that can easily see my home network and plays every codec Ive thrown at it. I have a couple of Archos tablets, so Im used to great videoplayers since thats what Archos hangs their hat on. MX player does a good job but their picture quality suffers. I'm using this right now on a 50" LG Plasma...and Im getting full 1080p output. I also have a the MK802 mini PC with the Allwinner 10 chip. The MK802 works fine but it had initial problems with wireless network connectivity. No issues here...it found my network right away and so far has been rock solid. Also, so far, this thing is fast. I believe the Rockchip processor it uses is running at 1.2ghz...so far its smooth. Transitions seem smooth and video streaming is excellent. I loaded the IMDB app and payed several HD trailers... no issues...no stuttering...no frame rate drops....smooth. Like I mentioned before...it recognized my DLNA and Upnp devices like a champ. I use Twonky, and every display in my house is connected to the server... it recognized all of my shares, no issues. These mini pc devices (Gbox. MK802) are replacing all of my stand alone streamers. I have a Sony SMP N100 or one display and a Sony Bluray player that also supports DLNA on the other. I run XBMC on my server ( which is the best!)...but these devices can do everything they can do (except my server) and more. Basically youre running an android tablet on your TV, with all the access and flexibility that comes with it. Browsing works great...and it DOES play flash! Unlike my Motorola RAZR! When it updated to ICS, I lost flash...! Now I have to use the Puffin browser on it to get flash. Dolphin HD is my preferred browser, and Ill have it on the Gbox soon...

Now I am NOT getting paid to write all of this, nor am I connected with the company. I'm your average android user who wants a device to work well, talk to my windows base network, and allow for good connectivity flexibility.(not a closed proprietary ecosystem like Apple!) Im not new to the game. Before XBMC, I used my Popcorn hour for everything, and before that experimented with Window Media Player PC's, integrating my Xbox and PS3. Hell...I still have my original modded Xbox, with the original Xbox media player ( where it all started) Ive had this thing for less than a week, and my MK802 for a little over that...but Ill tell you this...its working well...very well so far!

A video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giFeuTs5Js0&feature=player_embedded

Pricing

Sells for $88 + $35 international shipping http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1920wt_1186, if more people are interested I can contact them for bulk rates.

But for that need 5 preferably 10 people at least. Note I am not associated with these guys in any way.

This can be our low cost chinese android tablet replacement! What do you think, guys and gurus? Interested people please confirm in this thread so that I can approach these people.

Edited by digitalnirvana

Count me in

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Count me in as well. Let's hope we get a good deal.

Regards

Actually i was just about to order amkette evo ( http://evotv.amkette.com/) but could not order as it has limited delivery locations n this post comes to life...

Is anyone using evo tv? I feel quality should be good since it is from a reputed brand. Also content wise it has some India specific modifications.

Still g box also seems nice since it is in jb n i can see lot of development would be done like rooting/ROMing etc which would not be there in amkette.

Lets hope gbox satisfies us...

I am interested to but depends on the final price.

Also does it have Bluetooth for keyboard etc.

Hitesh ji and caringlover you're in. Let's hope we get few more people. I'll wait till next Tue before speaking with these guys.

Looks very interesting... What is the approx price in INR? Expected time of delivery?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Price is $120 approx so you can calculate that to INR. From my experience USPS first class international shipping takes about a week or two. But I cannot confirm as our customs are notorious. Are you interested? Should I count you in?

Don't use USPS for shipping costlier items in bulk as it will be handled by India Post when it reaches India. Use DHL or FedEx or Aramex. Customs should be 29% of the invoice including shipping cost.

I've an idea... Us shipping is 13$. So 88+13=101$

Considering we get it through icc or sns, as per my calculations, it should cost approx 8k including shipping n customs (29%).

V can aggregate the order n import through icc to be on safer side.

Also, v may try getting it as mobile n save custom duty but that depends on luck...

Icc / sns won't get more then 4 pieces in one shipment.

looks good but i doubt it'll work on my 2mbps mtnl wifi

i feel it might need 5-10 mb/s at least for HD streaming without freezing / stutter

let us know what speed wifi any of you used it on

does netflix work in india?

It doesn't

looks good but i doubt it'll work on my 2mbps mtnl wifi

i feel it might need 5-10 mb/s at least for HD streaming without freezing / stutter

let us know what speed wifi any of you used it on

Whatever streams on ur laptop should steam on this. U can try to watch YouTube in 1080p n see if it runs flawlessly or not.

Market is installed on this so we can use bigflix and other India specific apps instead of Netflix.

. U can try to watch YouTube in 1080p n see if it runs flawlessly or not.

YouTube should not be used as a benchmark since YouTube uses CDN which will select the closest location having lowest latency and would deliver the content from there which would make it faster.

I have sent them an enquiry for bulk purchase price on Ebay, will update with their response here.

Will be traveling for few days with limited internet access so my posts could be delayed a bit.

Price is $120 approx so you can calculate that to INR. From my experience USPS first class international shipping takes about a week or two. But I cannot confirm as our customs are notorious. Are you interested? Should I count you in?

Yes, count me in bro

. U can try to watch YouTube in 1080p n see if it runs flawlessly or not.

YouTube should not be used as a benchmark since YouTube uses CDN which will select the closest location having lowest latency and would deliver the content from there which would make it faster.

Reminds me of this sher ... (noob alert)

Talkalluf ki tabiyat ka tabbassum aish-e-anjaana

Mujhe samajh mein nahin aaya, phir se samjhana

Wah Wah ..

(jus kidding bhai)

There is easier solution for buying it at a lesser rate with FREE shipping to US and then importing individually through SNS/others instead of doing effort in group buying/ negotiation/managing buyers/collecting payments/dispatching to each individually from one point in india et all..

My two cents...Hope it's of some value! :)

• There are two products GBox I and II. The only difference between the two is G Box II has 4 USB ports + component Y/Pb/Pr Output whereas GBox 1 has 2 USB+normal RCA video. Rest everything including hardware is same. Even the latest software/ROM update is same and works on both as mentioned here >> http://androidtvbox....tware-and-roms/
  • The same seller has two listing of GBox I as bidding item with FREE Shipping to US >> http://www.ebay.com/...tdistro/m.html? Try bidding and see what best price one can get.
  • There is another listing for GBox I in Buy it Now with FREE shipping to US with Make Best Offer option. Check and make an offer, one will get an idea how much less they can give it for! >> http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_4634wt_1265

Regarding the usage, none of the US only streaming services works in India. So it will be basically YouTube and other stored content on memory card/HDD's + Apps which can be used. But i see other possibility for making good use of such devices.

• What do most people do on Home PC's? Internet Browsing, Social Media, YouTube, Office software, Some light gaming / music / movies? And PC's are ON 24X7 using around 200-300 watt of electricity constantly. Now by attaching physical keyboard/mouse to this device one can do all that on large screen TV. This device should also require very low electricity consumption plus the added benefit of silent operation compared to noicy PC. Should also be possible to use as a downloader.
  • Not sure if Google Chrome OS can be installed on this but if yes, that's other possibility. Some versions of linux may also work.

• Like 3

I think RM is right... getting individually would be best. I have already asked icc to get me all inclusive quote n below is their reply...

Your iShop International Quote for Order No. xxxxxxx

Dear Hitesh Kakkad,

Thanks for your order request:

Your order request number is: 8001924384

Item Type: TV

Item Description: G-Box II - Google Android 4.1 - Internet TV Box - DLNA Mini PC - TV Web Player Qty 1

As described in the U.S. website below:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c2a85c272

Shipped directly from US retailer to you in India!

Total all-inclusive cost of item for delivery to India based on current exchange ­­­­rates will be: Rs. 7,864

Item price, local shipping, taxes: Rs. 5,535

International Shipping: Rs. 700

Duty, Taxes, & Fees: Rs. 1,729

- DISCOUNT - Rs. 100

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL Rs. 7,864

Buy it Now! Make Your Payment Online:

Please complete your purchase by credit card, debit card, or net banking using our secure online payment gateway:

http://shopabroadonl...ternational.asp

Any Questions? Contact Us!

Any Questions about payments or your order? Please contact us:

Tel: (+91) 022-40641050 (Mumbai)

Email: shop@ishopinternational.com

IMHO this should be the best price considering we are getting the product at our doorstep. No US ordering, no paypal, nothing...

I am placing order to buy one today... Will keep posted...

Anyone willing to place order, just visit http://shopabroadonl...ternational.asp & place the order.

Edit: Ordered G-Box I (not II) (This one). Paid in total 6568/-.. Keeping fingers crossed....

Edited by hiteshkkk1

Rajan bhai makes sense as usual. I am currently traveling and on mobile, will explore the shop abroad option given by Hitesh bhai once I have access to computer.

In the meantime if others still want to go ahead with bulk buy option, you can wait for their response on bulk rates. I have asked them yet to receive reply.

Signing off for now....3g is patchy...

Hey.. Does it have universal REMOTE like the the one with Amkette EVO TV.

I think universal remote is more useful as it will work with TV and DVD etc. and we will be needing only 1 remote.

Please clarify on this.

I think universal remote is more useful as it will work with TV and DVD etc. and we will be needing only 1 remote.

Please clarify on this.

Amkette comes with rf remote controller which is not universal.

• Like 1

Please clarify on this.

Amkette comes with rf remote controller which is not universal.

But the website of evo tv describes the remote as UNIVERSAL REMOTE:

Universal Remote functions for standard TV control

http://evotv.amkette.com/tech-specs.php