Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
parin

Apple iPhone 5 & iOS6 discussion

Whatever we say, we all crave for it..

No, many people dont crave for it.

P.S. I have used iPhone. :)

Edited by phonegeek

The iPhone 5 is not the result of innovation, it's renovation.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

So many non-evaluative negative comments. Just don't hate a product for the sake of it. It has STILL got the best hardware, period.

And no, I don't use the iphone but I have used many apple products and they are the best in my collection and outlast any other brand I have owned.

• Like 6

^^ +1

Although there is no innovation in iphone 5, it is still a very solid phone and they just took the 4s and made it a lot better. The only thing is the Apple's UI needs a refresh

^^ +1

Although there is no innovation in iphone 5, it is still a very solid phone and they just took the 4s and made it a lot better. The only thing is the Apple's UI needs a refresh

Why mend something that's not broken? Apple's easy UX still remains one of it's biggest selling points.

Please excuse typos and brevity, sent while mobile.

Need help guys, have to justify that its because of smartness and intelligence of a person that makes him purchase iPhone 5 at 50k.

Please help.

If you have to justify then it's better of not to purchase, no offence. Smart phones costing 10k and 50k don't differ much except for the flaunt value, so unless you've money to burn and no one to answer to, don't spend 50k on any phone, let alone the iPhone.

• Like 1

I heard this line from an american " If u dont have an iPhone u dont have an eye " ...

stupid Americans and stupid Apple Ads....

• Like 2

Aircel, Airtel Won’t Sell iPhone 5 in India As Apple Takes Over Control

Source

Apple’s Indian carrier partners Aircel and Airtel won’t sell the iPhone 5 in India this year. Instead, Apple will take over the distribution process for the iPhone 5 as well as the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, multiple sources have confirmed to BGR India. Apple India has appointed Ingram Micro and Redington for distributing iPhones and has already ramped up its sales team to prepare for the iPhone 5 launch.

However, multiple carriers, including Aircel and Airtel, will be offering special tariff plans for the iPhone 5. BGR India earlier exclusively reported details of carriers placing orders for Nano SIMs that the iPhone 5 uses. Users who buy the iPhone 5 will be required to swap their existing SIM card to a Nano SIM from their carrier. The Nano SIM card package will also include adapters to convert it to a Micro SIM or a regular SIM to ensure the user is able to use it with other phones too.

Carriers don’t want to miss out on the iPhone 5 as it is used mostly by high value subscribers. Considering Aircel and Airtel are no longer the preferred partners, it will be a level playing field for multiple carriers.

If the benchmarks are to be believed, this is the best phone IMHO. As per cnet.com, A6 almost 2x faster than previous A5. THe benchmark is better than android phones like S3. They are able to benefit from in house chip design and OS development. So they know whats better for hardware and software.

From hardware perspective iDevices are always well ahead or at least on par with the competition, it is their closed nature of iOS (and trying to keep user confined within their ecosystem) that makes many of us shun it in favor of open source Android.

I can agree the decision of apple to stop AirHell from bringing iPhone5, as they will keep price ridiculously high and LOCK it also and hence very low sales (relatively to unlocked) figures... But Aircel has done good sales by keeping price low (though model is outdated), the only reason I can guess is "Aircel may have diluted brand value by selling for very cheap"...

------------------------------------------------------------

Reg Benchmarks, I don't care much about Antuntu, pontuntu, nenebench or any sh!tty benchmarks.. For me the real life benchmark for a high end phone for day to day life is:-

1) Playing 1080p videos without breaking sweat (Max load, I love to give my phone)

2) Multitasking without slowing phone

So my current RazrMAXX and GNexus are more than enough for me wrt performance and iPhone is NO-NO for me (I hate fake-mutitasking)... I don't care if the phone comes with OctoCore or 256Core CPU...

----------------------------------------------------------------

@Dipan ji,

I agree... Initially, I don't have any hard feelings for iPhone/iDevices.. Just that, iPhone is NOT for me due to its closed nature... But now I have started hating iDevices due to the unethical nature of the apple...

• Like 2

10 ways Android beats the iPhone 5

Apple may have mollified the masses by adding significantly better specs to its smartphone offering, but when it comes to innovation, the iPhone 5 just can’t compete with the latest Android handsets. Sure a larger screen, 4G LTE support and a faster CPU are welcome additions to the world’s number one phone, but Apple is a year late and $199 short, because Android has provided all these features and more for some time now.

In fact, even after Apple’s johnny-come-lately improvements, Android phones have a number of key advantages over the iPhone 5.

1B3848907-4inch1.streams_desktop_small.jpeg

Screens larger than 4 inches

Apple may be patting itself on the back over its move from a 3.5-inch to a 4-inch display, but in the smartphone size race, the iPhone 5 trails the field by a wide margin. In the Android world, the 4.3-inch Droid RAZR M is considered a "compact" phone, the 4.8-inch Galaxy S III is mainstream and the 5.5-inch Galaxy Note II is large.

Why would you want a phone with a larger screen? A larger display makes videos more exciting, text easier to read, and keys on the keyboard easier to target with your finger. And if for some reason that doesn't appeal to you, the Android ecosystem also has smaller phones.

NFC support

If you own an iPhone 5, you can just forget about using mobile payment systems that let you touch your device to a reader in order to conduct a transaction. Instead of MasterCard's Tap and Pay, you'll be using tap and pray as you rap your fingers on a table and hope that Apple provides NFC support on the iPhone 6 in 2013.

With NFC support, the latest Android phones can not only send out payments, but also share photos, contacts, videos and more, just by tapping their backs together. Since Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, the OS has built-in NFC sharing software called Android Beam that any third party application can use for seamless sharing. Task management appAny.Do even lets you beam assignments to friends and family. I'm sure Apple will add this functionality just in time for iOS 8.

1B3848908-widgets.streams_desktop_small.jpeg

Custom widgets on your home screen

Congratulations iPhone 5 users! You now get an extra row of icons that you didn't have with the iPhone 4 and 4S. That means you can see your TweetDeck icon and tap on it without scrolling over. The Times Square billboard writes itself: "iPhone 5: Now with More Icons!"

However, if you use any Android phone, you get more than just a static set of application icons on your 5 to 7 home screens. You have a working desktop you can fill with interactive widgets that show everything from the weather to your latest social media updates. I particularly dig thecircles widget that Motorola includes on its Android phones, which shows you battery life, time, text alerts and local weather.

A micro USB port rather than a proprietary connector

If you're like me, you have a drawer full of USB cables and, if you can't find one, you can always buy another on any street corner. When you upgrade from an old phone to a new one, you can still use the same old wires and charging plugs, because micro USB is a standard. In fact, the European Union requires phone manufacturers to use micro USB for charging, because it reduces waste as users hold on to their old cables rather than tossing them in a landfill.

Unfortunately, the iPhone 5 uses a proprietary connector it calls "Lightning" instead of standard micro USB, but gets around the EU regulation by offering an adapter.Why not just use micro USB like every other company? Then you couldn't make a mint selling proprietary wires and making every iPhone 4S owner that upgrades buy new accessories, because older iPhones had an even larger proprietary dock connector.

1B3848909-keyboard.streams_desktop_small.jpeg

Third-party software keyboards

With the iPhone 5, you can have any keyboard you want as long as its the stock iOS 6 keyboard. If you're using Android and you don't love Google's default layout, you're free to install a third-party keyboard that suits your needs.

Some of the best Android keyboards include Swype, which lets you create words by tracing between letters on the keyboard, and SwiftKey, which predicts the next word in your sentence to save you keystrokes. Heck, you can even buy an Android slider like the Motorola Droid 4, which has a real physical keyboard.

What if you need to send your boss a PowerPoint presentation, a Word doc or some other type of file? You will need to have an app that opens that kind of file, go to that app and send the file from there. In other words, there's no way to simply attach the file(s) of your choice when composing email in iOS mail. There are workarounds and third-party apps that address this problem, but Apple's approach here could not be lamer.Attach any files you want to your email

Apple doesn't gamble on immature technologies so perhaps its understandable that the company has yet to include this new-fangled thing called "email attachments" on its iPhone 5. While previous versions of iOS Mail didn't even present you with any attachment options in its message composer, the new iOS 6 mail on the iPhone 5 gives you the option to attach images or video only.

Just like Windows or Mac OS, Android allows you to attach any files you want to any email message. Whether you're using the Gmail app, its stock email app or any of a dozen third party email clients, there's always a prominent attachment option on the composition screen and, when you hit it , you're able to browse your gallery, your file system or any other apps you've installed that organize files (Dropbox, Quickoffice, etc).

1B3848911-sharing.streams_desktop_small.jpeg

Share using any service you want

With Android, every relevant app from the browser to the photo gallery includes a share button. When you tap share, you're given an extensive and universal list of apps you can share with. And that list grows, depending on what software and services you have installed, from Facebook to your SMS messenger to Bluetooth transfers. So if, for example, you join Pinterest and install its app, you can share directly to that from any app with a search button.

Rather than providing you with one share list to rule them all, the iPhone 5 lets each app developer create his or her own share menu, which has a finite list of services that developer feels like supporting. The default Safari browser and iOS photo gallery apps can only share to Facebook, Twitter, email and messaging. Google, Flickr, Pinterest, Google Talk and any of 100 other services need not apply.

1B3848910-file.streams_desktop_small.jpegLaptop

Visible file system

Try plugging an Android phone into your PC and mounting it as a storage device. You'll have access to all the files and folders, just as you do when you browse through your WIndows computer's C drive. So, if you want to copy a raft of MP3s or PowerPoint presentations to your Android handset, you can just drag and drop them.

Say you record a memo with Droid Record and want to grab its output files. You can navigate down to its folder and move, copy or share them directly from there. If you run a file browser on the phone itself, you can also dive into the file system from there.

So what happens when you plug the iPhone 5 into your PC? You get access the digital camera (DCIM) folder only so all you can do is drag and drop pictures. Yes, you can iTunes to transfer media files back and forth, but you still can't go directly into file system because Apple just doesn't trust you enough to let you see the folders on the iPhone 5 that you bought from them. Whose phone is it anyway?

Haptic feedback

Most Android phones offer optional haptic feedback, which allows you to get a nice tactile vibration when you type, long press on the screen or tap the navigation buttons. While some people dislike haptics, the vibrations give you a strong acknowledgement that your touch has registered so you don't have to tap twice. Unfortunately, with the iPhone 5, you don't have a choice; just a flat screen that provides no feedback.

1B3848912-pen.streams_desktop_small.jpeg

Pen support

"If you see a stylus, they blew it," Steve jobs famously said of pen-enabled computing and, like its predecessors, the iPhone 5 does not support pen input. Yes, you can get third-party capacitive styluses that will work on the iPhone 5, but these little sticks do nothing more than give you a thinner finger.

Want to scribble down some notes like you do on paper? On Android, you can. Samsung's Galaxy Note and LG's Intuition both offer large screens, active styluses and deep pen integration into the operating system.

On the upcoming Galaxy Note II, you can hand write notes on your calendar, on the backs of JPGs and in half a dozen other places throughout the OS. You can even get previews of emails, photos and videos by hovering the Galaxy Note II's stylus slightly above the screen.

10 ways Android beats the iPhone 5 - GadgetBox on NBCNews.com

Another major thing the author missed is PRICE!!!

• Like 3

Lol. isheeps have started camping outside apple store.

Bunch of super smart people. Hats off.

6egasa9a.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Let's not turn this into Apple vs android and Apple bashing and name calling. We're too mature for that. Remember democracy? Everyone has their own choice. If someone pays more to get their wanted product, let them. Why should we bother? :) instead let us focus on discussing iPhone 5 and iOS 6 features etc.

Ya... I can agree in paying premium for their favorite phone... But waiting in line ONE WEEK BEFORE release is post-59799-0-85460300-1347905307.jpg

Don't they have any useful work to do??? Or they have huge loads of sooo much money and too little brain??? Nothing wrong in calling them as what they are generally called (by name of domestic animal)...

NO, I am NOT calling all iPhone fans as it... But who waste their precious time for NOTHING worth...

• Like 1

From my view Iphone 5

Pros:

1. Light weight
  2. Optimum size
  3. Super Display
  4. Good Battery life

Cons

1. RIDICULOUSLY priced higher
  2. No real Multi tasking
  3. Apple's closed strategy
  4. Nano sim

It all finally decided by one's own personal feelings to go for it or not

iPHONE 5 ? dumb or so damn eager ;) chk urself

sorry if its been posted before

LOL

is it ok to upgrade cdma iphone 4 which we are using with reliance to ios6?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Apple flops with new maps

Apple faced growing criticism on Thursday from users around the world who complained that the tech giant's new mapping system is riddled with errors.

A day after the new system was released, users from countries including the United States, Britain, China, France and Japan protested that the new maps misplace some landmarks and leave others off altogether.

Many disappointed fans headed to online forums to vent their frustration, which could take the shine off the eagerly awaited release of the iPhone 5 on Friday.

"In the UK many town names are wrong, with some missing; roads are all the same colour; satellite image resolution is not as good as it was previously," user Shilts9 wrote on Apple's support forum.

"Awful in Australia, too," wrote Shane Keher. "Apple's version is bad on so many levels it's hard to imagine a workable version for at least a year or two."

Apple announced in June that its new operating system for mobile gadgets, iOS6, would replace the Google Maps app with its own custom-made mapping software.

iOS6 became available to existing users of the iPhone, iPad and iPad Touch on Wednesday, and anyone who installs it will have to use the new maps.

The system comes pre-installed on the iPhone 5, which debuts across nine countries on Friday.

But the glitches have put a dampener on the launch and the strong reviews for iOS6's other features.

Users have reported satellite images showing various locations, particularly in rainy Scotland, obscured by cloud -- while a search for Manchester United Football Club directs users to Sale United Football Club, for footballers aged five and above.

Sears Tower in Chicago has reportedly shrunk, Helsinki railway station was listed as a park, and a British furniture museum placed in a river.

In Ireland, justice minister Alan Shatter has written to Apple asking for an urgent correction to an error placing an airport at a farm named Airfield in his Dublin constituency.

A separate Google Maps app is not currently available for sale from Apple, although Google's system can still be used via the iPhone's web browser.

Apple was yet to comment on the complaints about the software.

Dutch sat-nav company TomTom, which worked with Apple on the program, told the BBC it provided only the data for the maps and was not responsible for how they worked.

Foxnews

BBC News

Economic Times

6 Ways Google Maps Beats Apple iOS 6 Maps

One of the most significant updates to iOS 6 is Apple's new Maps application, which replaces Google Maps as the default, pre-loaded app. It's widely believed Apple did this to scale back its reliance on a major competitor for a key part of its mobile operating system.

It's less likely, though still possible, that Google's licensing terms became too onerous, or that Apple wanted to activate voice navigation for free and Google refused, since the built-in, voice-enabled Google Maps Navigation app has been one of Android's traditional competitive advantages.

Whatever the reason, I was hoping Apple was going to come out of the gate strongly with its own Maps app. After all, Apple has a pretty good history of doing just that. It looks at the market, see what other competitors have done, and then comes in with its own product that often upends existing ideas and with an extra dose of polish.

Unfortunately, it appears that we didn't get this at all. Apple Maps looks gorgeous, and functions well enough on a basic level. But early impressions are that it's a 1.0 app in a 6.0 OS.

For example, reports are already pouring in saying that Maps is coming up with some strange ideas about how to get places. Google went through this sort of thing years ago. Waze is going through this now, as crowd-sourced directions are great for avoiding traffic, but not so good at optimizing routes when behind the wheel. It takes years of refinements to get this right. So far, it appears Apple's vague mix of TomTom, Waze, and other sources isn't panning out so well yet. It sure isn't TomTom's fault, incidentally; its devices have been great at routing for years.

We'll be testing iOS 6 Maps much more heavily over the next week, particularly as the iPhone 5 arrives. Existing iPhone 4S owners who upgrade to iOS 6 get the same feature set, while those with the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 get most, but not all, new iOS 6 Maps features - like voice navigation and flyovers. But even today, just with some basic testing, it's clear Google Maps retains a serious advantage in many key areas:

The maps themselves. The city maps we're seeing in iOS 6 Maps certainly look attractive, but they're also kind of bizarre. For example, zoom in and out, and Apple's app has a really curious way of deciding which neighborhood names and landmarks are important, and which aren't. In the above screenshot, I'd probably pick four or five neighborhoods before highlighting the tiny Koreatown and Meatpacking Districts: Chelsea, Gramercy Park, Murray Hill, Midtown…

Poor address location. Right here in Manhattan, the app is proving it has trouble finding points of interests as well as even basic street addresses. Even when it has my location nailed on East 28th Street, I typed the full street address of the building I was standing in front of, and the type-ahead search brought up five examples in Brian Head, Utah. I ran a search on a street address on East 15th Street in Manhattan, and it delivered a red pin on Marlborough Road in Brooklyn—not only was that incorrect, but it defaulted to Brooklyn, since Brooklyn has an East 15th Street, instead of Manhattan. I put in my father's old store, which has been open in Brooklyn since 1976, and Maps lists it as a Jewish Center in the middle of the block. He didn't own a Jewish Center. Around the Web, people are noticing it gets entire neighborhoods wrong, and someone found it gives the wrong city name for Berlin in Germany.

No street views. Google Street View started as a fun and curious experiment in San Francisco years ago, but has since blossomed into something truly extraordinary that works in many major metropolitan areas. Google added it to show destinations during voice navigation, too, although that's minor in comparison to its day-to-day importance on the ground. It's gone. Apple's flyovers are really cool, but they only work in a couple of cities; it's probably going to take Apple just as long as it did Google to build this into something truly useful.

Missing public transit information. This has already been widely reported, and it's a big one if you live in a major city. There's no bus, subway, or train information—schedules, stops, and transit times are all gone. It essentially means that if you're on foot, you can no longer rely on the Maps app to give you directions or even show you nearby stops to head to. Fortunately, you can still access Google Maps for this info via the browser, although that's decidedly less convenient, and it doesn't allow for simultaneous GPS location as you're walking.

Poor 3D driving interface. Aside from possible routing issues, Maps doesn't offer a useful 3D interface while driving. It features the next step prominently in a fake green road sign, and the distance to it; that's great. But the ETA and distance remaining is crammed into the top status bar with a very tiny font. There's no current road speed or speed limit display. You can't tap the display to repeat a voice command in case you didn't hear it. There's no traffic info on screen. Google Maps Navigation isn't perfect, but a lot of this stuff is present, and the interface works well on the road.

Poor traffic reporting. I've really come to rely on Google's shaded traffic reporting, which is based on three colors (green, yellow, red) and shows at a glance exactly what you're up against before you start driving. That's gone with Apple Maps; instead, you get some red dotted lines showing… something. I'm assuming congestion. This being Manhattan, that's not very helpful. There are a lot of people here. There's always congestion.

PCMag

Well, with the hurry to get Google Maps off from the iPhone, I wonder if Apple has bitten off more than it can chew? (Pun intended!)

jaldi :scarerun: ka kaam shaitaan :devil2: ka hota hai..

New iOs on My Phone

iOS 6.0 Some Features Snapshots For RIMwebian

post-81626-0-20828900-1348202082_thumb.p

post-81626-0-07852200-1348202074_thumb.p

post-81626-0-75406100-1348202058_thumb.p

post-81626-0-02679500-1348202051_thumb.p

post-81626-0-36995500-1348202027_thumb.p

post-81626-0-02180300-1348202020_thumb.p