Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
parin

Apple iPhone 5 & iOS6 discussion

:previous: Well that is inherent in their ads.."if you don't have an iphone,you don't have an iphone!"It implies that its main price is for status symbol. :smiley-bounce022:

Now Nokia pokes fun at iPhone with this ad...

October 26th...

iPhone 5 launch date in India!

October 26th...

iPhone 5 launch date in India!

Source

This article says that Apple was aware of the problems in maps. The developers have well documented and also informed Apple about the problem. This was not accepted from apple.

Developers: We warned Apple about iOS maps quality

App developers say they gave Apple plenty of warning about issues with its iOS maps app revamp.

Source

To the casual observer it might appear that Apple was caught off guard by just how bad its in-house maps app was. But the company had plenty of warning.

Developers have been complaining about Apple's Maps since shortly after they were given the first pre-release version in early June, CNET has learned. They say they filed bug requests, sent e-mails to specific Apple employees, and vented on message boards only other developers and Apple could see.

"I posted at least one doomsayer rant after each (developer) beta, and I wasn't alone," a developer with three iOS apps in the App Store told CNET. "The mood amongst the developers seemed to be that the maps were so shockingly bad that reporting individual problems was futile. What was needed wasn't so much an interface for reporting a single point as incorrect, but for selecting an entire region and saying 'all of this -- it's wrong.'"

All of the half dozen developers with whom CNET spoke -- each of whom have applications that rely on Apple's maps technology -- requested that their names and the names of their applications be kept out of this story because of ongoing relationships with the company. But they say the issues were well-documented among developers, who used four pre-release versions of the software before it was given to the public last month.

Apple declined to comment.

Threads on Apple's developer forums described some of the problems that appeared well ahead of the final version of the software, and they still existed when Apple shipped it, these people said.

That includes mixed up locations, clouds in satellite imagery, and maps that were less detailed than the ones offered by rival Google, which provided the mapping technology untiliOS 6.

"During the beta period I filed bug reports with Apple's Radar system (notorious for being ignored), posted on the forums several times, and e-mailed multiple people within Apple's MapKit team to voice our concerns," another developer told CNET.

One Apple employee did, in fact, get back to that person who complained, saying that the issue was "well understood," but that there was no news to report on mapping updates. They added that the developer was following the correct procedures for filing their complaints. Nonetheless, the developer told CNET there had been no updates to the bug reports, or extra information on how to deal with issues that were cropping up in apps, leaving them without answers.

"This has been a frustrating experience for us and we don't care where the imagery comes from, we just would like our customers to be able to have the same experience within our app when they update from iOS 5 to iOS 6," the developer added. "Instead, the OS upgrade broke some of the features we built within our application despite being told that only the imagery would be swapped out."

goog-apple-exit-maps_620x506_270x220.jpg

Differences in highway exits between Google Maps and Apple's iOS 6 Maps.(Credit: James Martin/CNET )

New maps

Apple's change to its own mapping technology were first publicly detailed at the company's annual developers conference in June. It's since been reported that the move was due to a breakdown in negotiations between the two companies, where Google wanted more control and branding of the app, while Apple wanted Google to bring key features like spoken turn-by-turn directions.

Some of the developers CNET spoke to said they didn't fault Apple for wanting to build and control its own software, but lamented that it was seemingly rushed out the door before some of the issues were fixed.

"I think if Apple really wanted to go down this path, then they should have given themselves a year to get everything right," said a developer who makes an application that lets users bookmark locations. "In that time, they could have offered their own maps as the default, but allowed users and developers the option to use Google Maps as an alternative."

What happened instead was that Apple pushed its own software out, with the only alternative to get Google's maps through the browser, where certain features are missing. Google is now rumored to be scrambling to get a standalone maps app replacement ready to go by the end of the year, and is adding new features to its Web appin the meantime.

New work

In an apology two weeks ago, Apple CEO Tim Cook promised improvements while urging users towards alternatives, saying "the more our customers use our Maps the better it will get."

In the meantime, the changeover has been harder for developers to escape. The built-in maps are part of Apple's iOS software developer kit, requiring extra work, and sometimes expense to use alternatives and workarounds inside their applications.

Two developers CNET spoke with said they were at work on changes to their applications to make use of mapping information from Google and Microsoft to offer as an alternative to Apple's built-in solution. A large reason for that was customer response, one of the developers said, adding that more than a third of his support queries since the launch of iOS 6 have been about downgrading back to iOS 5.

"I don't have a great answer unless [customers] did certain technical procedures before upgrading to 6, of which most people don't do those or jailbreak their phone," the developer added. "I would prefer to spend my time on improving something instead of dealing with problems like this. An option would have been nice."

An option is just what another developer said he was working on inside his travel-focused application. While he's still using Apple's maps for showing users search results, he's building in a way to hop out to the Web-based version of Google maps when it comes to helping people drive to those locations.

Others have put together off-the-shelf tools for other developers to use, including a project called GoogleMapsOverlayiOS that replaces Apple's maps with map tiles from Google using a solution that originally tapped the Open Street Maps project.

"I heard a lot of people from countries like (the) U.K, that maps are not good enough in their cities, it's huge problem for people who already have some app in appStore [sic] that's based on Google maps and Google maps API," creator Mladjan Antic says on the project's landing page.

IMG_0008.JPG_270x462.jpg

New York's Statue of Liberty, a 3D landmark that was added to maps after iOS 6 was released.(Credit: CNET )

Improvements

For all the doom and gloom, developers say there has been some noticeable improvement with Apple's maps since the product became public. Chief among them: how far users can zoom in on a map, an important consideration for any app that makes use mapping imagery.

Developers say that when the first beta version of iOS 6 was released, the satellite images developers could use could only be zoomed to 17, whereas in iOS 5 it was 19. To put that in perspective, it's like seeing the one-third of theNotre-Dame cathedral in Paris, versus the whole thing while looking at it from above. This week Apple bumped it up to 18 for developers, and 19 within its own maps app. That ends up being a critical distance for apps that used imagery for measurement, or for precise location tracking, one developer said.

Last week consumers also noticed improvements to some locations, including added 3D views, more recent satellite imagery, and fixes to search results. Apple did not put out any official mention or benchmark on how many changes were made, although in its apology note it pledged to "keep working non-stop" on the product.

For developers, as for iPhone users, the improvements can't come fast enough.

• Like 1

iPhone 5 price in India likely to be Rs 46-48,000

Source

Apple iPhone 5 is expected to be rolled out in India on October 26 at an expected price ranging between Rs 46,000 to Rs 48,000 for the 16GB model.

The 32GB variant is likely to be priced between Rs 51,000 to 53,000. The 64GB top variant of the iPhone 5 will bear a likely tag in the Rs 58,000-61,000 price band.

These prices too are tentative and based upon the expectations of the two major telecom operators. Apple sources claimed that the actual price tags will depend upon the prevailing foreign exchange rates around the launch.

This time, Apple will use its reseller network in India to directly retail the iPhone 5, just like it does with the iPad, iPod, notebooks and computers. Therefore, it may even break away from its carrier partners in India, Airtel and Aircel, who sold the previous iPhone models in India with their own plans. In India, only unlocked handsets are sold.

If Apple launches the phone without any carrier partner in India, it will mean that users will have to select operators who provide nano-sim cards, which only the iPhone 5 uses at present. Sources at Vodafone India said the second biggest telecom operator in India already has a stock of nano-sims in place to meet the demand for the latest iPhone.

Apple didnt confirm it.

http://www.firstpost.com/tech/no-announcement-on-iphone-5-launch-in-india-yet-apple-487419.html

Apple has refused to comment on reports that the iPhone 5 will launch in India on 26 October.

Yesterday the Internet was abuzz after a report by BGR India had quoted multiple sources confirming the launch date as 26 October.

Apple has refused to comment on these reports. In an email response to Firstpost, Apple’s Press spokesperson said that we have no announcement to make at the moment on a launch or price of the iPhone 5 in India. (italics quotes). He added, There is speculation in media and we dont comment on speculation.

Apple is known to not respond to media speculations, and usually deny all reports that speculate on the release of any product.

The iPhone 5. Reuters

Earlier this month, there were reports that Apple had slashed the prices of the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 in India in anticipation of the iPhone 5 launch.

The price of the iPhone 4S 16GB model was slashed to Rs 41,400, a reduction of Rs 3,100 from its earlier price of Rs 44,500. The iPhone 4 8GB also saw its price drop to Rs 28,300 from the earlier price of Rs 37,900.

Hopefully we will know soon when Apple’s iPhone 5 will be launched in India. What we do know so far, is that India is on the ‘third wave’ of the official launch of the device. Speculation is that it is likely to go on sale ahead of the Diwali shopping season.

justcame across with apple Earpods...

I dont want to open a new thread for a simple silly question, my question is

wheather earpods can be used with any 3.5 mm jack mobile phone or does it support only apple ipods/iphones?

I am using with my Motorola RAZR maxx but without volume and stop buttons working,and technically they shld work as earphones with anything having a 3.5 mm jack.

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2

justcame across with apple Earpods...

I dont want to open a new thread for a simple silly question, my question is

wheather earpods can be used with any 3.5 mm jack mobile phone or does it support only apple ipods/iphones?

Yes it works

All Apple Earphones Works with Most of the phones

Yesterday I got a chance to play with iPhone 5, black for about 10-15 minutes. iOS 6 is really fast and crisp. Camera is amazing and also fast. the pictures are taken almost immediately. You wont feel much weight difference. Its slimmer and looks little big. I could not check 3 speed as my cousin had not enabled that service on his cell.

There were no scratch mark on the back or on side even though he is using since a week or so. No "light leaking" on his phone.

Edited by csmart

Yesterday I got a chance to play with iPhone 5, black for about 10-15 minutes. iOS 6 is really fast and crisp. Camera is amazing and also fast. the pictures are taken almost immediately. You wont feel much weight difference. Its slimmer and looks little big. I could not check 3 speed as my cousin had not enabled that service on his cell.

There were no scratch mark on the back or on side even though he is using since a week or so. No "light leaking" on his phone.

On few pcs I have noticed quality issues out of the box

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Apple used to be renowned for its quality out of the box and there never used to be issues AFAIK regarding its hardware (or for that matter its software too). It is indeed sad that Apple too is going the way of other phone manufacturers and letting their core values slip.

For the cost that people are willing to shell out just for "If you dont have an iPhone, you dont have an iPhone" part, Apple needs to ensure that it continues to maintain the same standard that it was always known for.

Else we soon would have a new slogan.....

"If you dont have an iPhone,

You dont have an iPhone ...

And will be glad for it too!"

Regards

Rahul

Hello Friends,

I am using iphone 4s verizon (factory locked) phone. I unlocked the phone using R-SIM 3. After updating to ios 6 , my phone got locked again because of change in baseband version and R-sim doesnt support new baseband.

I suggest All my friends using Iphone 4s unlocked through gevey or R-sim , not to update OS else your phone will become temporarily DEAD.

I am using iphone 4s of sprint on Ios 6 with gevey ultra S. without any issues, facetime and iMessage, sms also working. (Data I have not tried till this date as I have mobile wifi) (courtesey by Hetal).

If Gevey Ultra S CDMA is does not work, you have go for IMEI UNLOCK by paying premiam amount of 100$

I store have started taking preorders in Delhi but have to pay 1500/- extra as premium

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

The only difference I am experiencing with Iphone 5 is, whether phone is in my pocket or not !!!!. My personnel feeling is Except weight and display it is not greater than my iphone 4s. I dropped the idea of selling my iphone 4s.

whats the use of giving premium . everybody will get . I or some other mbo also in our area not taking any premium.

Quick Review: Google Search App on iOS is a Siri killer

Source

Google today released a revamped search app for iOS that brings an advanced voice search feature that also talks back, much like Siri. Google already had the feature on Android and it works flawlessly. Users can search for images, videos, weather, points of interest, flight status and much more. I have been using the app for the past couple of hours and I find it more useful than Siri. Read on for my first impressions.

On installing the app, it automatically set my voice input to Indian English, which does not support voice feedback. However, that was rectified by changing it to US English from the settings menu. However, the accuracy takes a slight hit as Google’s voice recognition is almost flawless for Indian accents when it is set to the Indian English.

The app is much faster than Siri. For the sake of comparison, I’d say the difference in speed is akin to a Formula 1 car and a Tata Nano – Google is light years ahead in this space. The accuracy, like I mentioned earlier, is also much higher on Google search than on Siri. I doubt it is a coincidence, but Google has launched the app on the same day Apple announced Scott Forstall, the senior executive responsible for Siri, would be leaving the company. This app is what Siri should have been on day one.

One of the features I really like is the ability to play YouTube videos within the app. So I could say the name of any video and it plays it right there even if the YouTube app is not downloaded on the device. I could also sign in to my Google account but I was not able to add new entries into my calendar or even view the calendar by using a voice command. I hope there is a way to do that and I will update this post in case I’m able to find it.

Of course, it is nowhere close to the Google Now service on Android but it is still good enough to replace Siri for me. And the best thing is it works even on the iPhone 4, which did not get Siri even after the iOS 6 update. I have placed Google search app on the dock for easy access and I’m pretty confident even you will end up doing the same if you give it a spin.

Based on my couple of hours of use, I highly recommend this app. You can download it from here for your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

Also, do check out the official demo video below.

• Like 2

iPhone 5 to go on sale in India from today; prices start at Rs. 45,500

Agencies | Updated: November 02, 2012 09:36 IST

iphone5new.jpg

New Delhi: Apple's India partners have confirmed that the much awaited iPhone 5 will be reaching India today. Apple is likely to make an announcement shortly.

Lack of compatible networks notwithstanding, the starting price for an upgrade will be Rs. 45,500 for the 16 GB variant getting higher with a model with higher storage.

In the US, the iPhone 5 is of course priced $649 for the 16GB version, 32GB at $749 and 64GB at $849. This translates to around Rs. 34,830 for 16GB version, Rs. 40,195 for 32GB version and Rs. 45,560 for the 64GB version, at the current exchange rate. Of course that does not include the import duties, currency fluctuations and local taxes.

Apple partner Redington has confirmed the iPhone 5 will retail atR

s. 45,500 for 16GB variant, Rs. 52,500 for 32GB and Rs. 59,500 for 64GB, which is not too far from the iPhone 4S pricing, and, thus, unlikely to cause major outrage over pricing that typically accompanies iPhone launch in India.

One concern some have around the iPhone 5 is the presence of a nano-SIM in the device. While users have reported success cutting a regular SIM/ micro-SIM into a nano-SIM, not everyone my be adventurous enough to do a DIY operation. A Vodafone spokesperson confirmed to NDTV Gadgets that they have nano-SIMs ready in stock, whenever Apple decides to launch iPhone 5 in the country. Airtel did not get back with a comment in time for this story. However, Airtel has starting taking pre-orders for the iPhone 5, which indicates it should be ready with nano-SIMs on its part.

In other Apple news, the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad are now available for pre-orders in select countries. The company has also introduced local currency pricing in its App Store in India and seven other countries.

iPhone 5, iPod touch screens unresponsive under rapid diagonal swipes, may be due to in-cell tech

Source

Users have begun reporting that rapid diagonal swipes of the iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5th generation can cause the screen to stop responding to touch input. Despite the fact that this is a rare and unusual swiping motion, it does raise concerns for developers and gamers.

The behavior was noted by game developer CMA Megacorp in a post on Twitter and followed by a video from Recombu that displays the issue occurring on multiple devices including the iPhone 5, but not the iPhone 4S. Rene Ritchie at iMore tested several devices and found that the iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5th gen were the only ones that exhibited the problem, and that it was independent of whether they were running iOS 6.0.1 or other versions.

Apple iPhone 5 Scrolling Glitch Demo VIDEO

We’ve verified that the issue exists on our iPhone 5, which is running iOS 6.0.1. But, since the issue occurs on iOS 6.0 devices as well, it’s possible that this is due to Apple’s tweaks to make the iPad mini reject accidental thumb touches. But, since the input tweaks are likely in action on the iPhone 4 and 4S as well, it seems unlikely.

But another common thread between these two devices is their touch screen hardware.

Both of them use the brand new in-cell touch technology that combines the digitizer and touch panel and laminates them to the front glass. This is the first time years that the same exact screen has been in the newest iPod touch and newest iPhone at the same time, so it seems likely that whatever is causing the issues is due to the in-cell tech.

The question at this point is whether the issue is caused by the way that iOS is reading the touch inputs from the screen or whether it’s due to the hardware itself. Obviously, software would be the best outcome, as it could then be corrected by Apple in a future release of iOS.

The minor skipping or freezing issues on ultra-rapid swiping is not going to affect regular users much, if at all. For game developers, however, it definitely could be seen to be an issue. Some titles like Fruit Ninja, for instance, rely heavily on rapid diagonal swiping, and could end up frustrating users if the problem manifests itself badly enough.

Apple’s iOS 6.0.1 update fixed a graphics glitch that many had been seeing which produced lines across the software’s keyboard. If this is a software issue as well, a similar fix could be incoming.

• Like 2