Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
phonegeek

[Android] Using NFC for daily activities

Where do we get these tags from? damages to pocket?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Nothing much. Got 10 pieces for 600 bucks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Looking good and high tech. :)

One question though... Can't all this and much more also be accomplished through this brilliant app: Tasker

Instead of touching the NFC tag, one may just have to run the task and can be done on all androids without NFC also,

• Like 2

^ I am already using Tasker and even running few tasks from it through NFC. Using NFC makes it more simpler. In tasker, you have to run the app and see which profile you want to run. IN NFC, you just have to tap it!

And yes, its more high tech ;)

Quote from Cnet:

Of course, you could argue that apps such as Tasker -- which allows you to create tasks based on time, location and phone state -- offer a slicker and less costly way of automating your device. While this is true to a degree, NFC tags are instantaneous and offer a greater level of control. You know that as soon as you swipe your phone over a tag, the various tasks written to that tag will be carried out immediately. Tasker, on the other hand, is a little more rigid and takes some effort to override.
Edited by phonegeek

Source? If you are not using all 10, do you mind selling some to me ? ;)

Source? If you are not using all 10, do you mind selling some to me ? ;)

Ya no problem. I am keeping 5 for me. You can taker rest.

Ya no problem. I am keeping 5 for me. You can taker rest.

Sent you a PM so that we are not talking off-topic here. :)

does HTC incredible 2 support this feature ?

Saurabh Ji from where you bought the NFC tags...any best deal?... +1 for the topic... We can discuss the possible uses and share ideas here...

^ My friend picked up from Singapore. These are available from ebay too. Just search for them.

Sure, we can share some cool tasks!

does HTC incredible 2 support this feature ?

Nope but the nexus series does.

Please excuse typos and brevity, sent while mobile.

saurabh can u share the pics of the tags u r usiing

do these have any particular brand or specs

These are generic tags. Can be pasted at any place.

Also they can store data upto 700k. Which is enough to carry out lot of tasks.

5e7a9uqa.jpg

life gradually becoming star-trek movie

found out a indian website selling NFC tags

http://www.atuch.in/collections/atuch-portfolio/products/mifare-classic-1k-nfc-tag

its 1KB tag ..they also have volume discount schemes if > 50 ..these are 500 rs for set of 5

• Like 1

Good find buddy. If only the non nexus phones supported NFC...sigh...:(

Please excuse typos and brevity, sent while mobile.

Nice topic ..+1 for you

__

Sent from my mobile

many phones supports NFC.. Galaxy S3 supports NFC.and has S beam feature which transfers file via Wifi-direct!!

As Rajan mentioned, these can be done easily on tasker. Problem with NFC is very limited range, say 2 cms. This means you need to place your phone exactly same place, where u pasted tags. But these can be very easily and efficiently done by tasker using cell near context.

As of now, only one use for me is to launch an tasker profile which toggle Bluetooth, when I'm inside my car, so that my phone automatically connects to cars Bluetooth receiver.

Other than the above task I didn't find NFC is useful because of its passive nature. I bought some from Indian seller and now it's sitting idle. Since cars Bluetooth receiver had some issues recently and I also switched to iPhone temporally.

One more issue with NFC is it won't work when your device in screen off. Some custom roms for some phone models has enabled NFC even when screen is off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also transfer any media by running/opening the media file and tapping the two NFC phones together. You'll be asked to confirm and then it'll start runinng on the other phone.

Reduces the hassle of checking for BT devices and pairing & doing send via BT etc OR running a WiFi file share app and entering IP on the other phone

If nothing happens, check that NFC Beam is switched ON in settings>Data.

As Rajan mentioned, these can be done easily on tasker. Problem with NFC is very limited range, say 2 cms. This means you need to place your phone exactly same place, where u pasted tags. But these can be very easily and efficiently done by tasker using cell near context.

As of now, only one use for me is to launch an tasker profile which toggle Bluetooth, when I'm inside my car, so that my phone automatically connects to cars Bluetooth receiver.

Other than the above task I didn't find NFC is useful because of its passive nature. I bought some from Indian seller and now it's sitting idle. Since cars Bluetooth receiver had some issues recently and I also switched to iPhone temporally.

One more issue with NFC is it won't work when your device in screen off. Some custom roms for some phone models has enabled NFC even when screen is off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As earlier I told, Tasker is amazing application but with NFC, you know what is going to run and is more convenient. I know where I pasted the tags, so its a non issue that it has limited range.

In Tasker, you have to run the app, see which profile you have to run and then only the tasks gets executed. Further, profiles related to location is like hit/miss. If you enable GPS, it drains the battery and also it doesnt work inside building. And if you enable tower based locations, its not that accurate. Many times it shows the wrong location. This is more with CDMA handsets that the tower based locations are not accurate. I have also tried Llama which is again a great app based on locations but the problem remains the same.

I have enabled locations based profile and it fires multiple times, even in every 10 min!

I find NFC a very useful feature and now I am using it very extensively. Still have to explore many things since NFC app can also use the Tasker tasks!!!

• Like 2

Great Discussion.

Just wanted to give a little perspective on the uses of NFC Technology. Check out this youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/aTuchIndia of atuch.in. This gives a much better idea of various use cases.

For long it has been believed that NFC will make mobile payments easier and faster, but we believe NFC has much more uses beyond payment.

I am happy to answer any questions with regards to NFC or aTuch's Solutions.