Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Honest

Comedy King Jaspal Bhatti Dies In Road Accident In Punjab

Comedian Jaspal Bhatti dies in a road accident in Punjab

Jaspal_bhatti_jpg_1247444g.jpga05937cf0b689d0bb2ed304d48e7f1f8_full.jpg

Jalandhar: Famous satirist-actor Jaspal Bhatti died in a road accident near Punjab's Shahkotr town early on Thursday.

Bhatti's car veered off the road and hit a tree while he was on his way to Jalandhar from Moga for the promotion of his latest film "Power Cut".

b5039dd2-05ae-421b-905c-4ae136aa4522HiRes.JPG

In Pic : The ill-fated Honda accord car in which Jaspal Bhatti, his son Jasraj, PR manager Navneet Joshi and actress Surilie Gautam were travelling. They were coming back after promoting their latest film Power Cut which is scheduled to release this Friday. Gaurav Bajaj/HT

Bhatti was rushed to the hospital in Jalandhar following the accident where doctors declared him dead.

b461c24d-c172-42c7-a3c6-7cde02ebf8e1HiRes.JPG

In Pic : Friends and relatives of Jaspal Bhatti carrying his dead body in civil hospital Jalandhar on Thursday. Pardeep Pandit/HT

The 57-year-old's son Jasraj and two more in the Honda Accord car were also seriously injured in the accident, which took place at around 3 am.

It is being said that his son, who was driving the car, fell asleep, following which their car collided with a tree. Bhatti was sitting on the back seat of the car.

0477db5f-958e-4e80-a6d8-dbac5d87b60dHiRes.JPG

In Pic : Jaspal Bhatti's son Jasraj Bhatti being treated at DMC hospital in Ludhiana after the accident. Gaurav Bajaj/HT

The satirist-actor's son along with the film's heroine Surli Gautam and one more person injured in the accident have been admitted in Jalandhar's SMC hospital.

Bhatti's latest film "Power Cut", which he had produced and directed, was to be released Friday. The film was to launch his son, Jasraj.

Sources close to Bhatti said that he was on a 40-day tour for the promotion of his latest film. The tour was to end Thursday with a media conference in Jalandhar.

Bhatti, born on 3 March 1955 was famous for his satirical take on the problems of the common man. His well known television series include Flop Show and Ulta Pulta which ran on Doordarshan in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

He also worked as a cartoonist for the The Tribune newspaper in Chandigarh.

Bhatti was married to Savita Bhatti, who also worked with him in his famous TV series. He is now left with son Jasraj Bhatti and a daughter named Raabiya Bhatti.

45900901-39b4-4f25-a9a4-9285fe1965ddHiRes.JPGf31002f8-b945-43fb-999d-334a02803c07HiRes.JPG

Condolences and reactions below:

Gujarat CM NarendraModi tweeted: "Jaspal Bhatti's demise is unfortunate. He filled our lives with much needed humour. My condolences to his family. May his soul rest in peace."

Dibang, senior journalist tweeted: "After years, recently he called me after watching me on ABP News. Call again Jaspalji, tell me what I hear is a joke. Jaspal Bhatti RIP"

Raju Srivastav to ABP News: “His programmes were linked to the issues of society. They were all family entertainers unlike the ones which are aired now. He was a role model for all comedians. I used to watch and emulate him. He always used to guide me. I cannot believe he is no more with us.”

Akshay Kumar: "Saddened to know about the death of the great comedian, Jaspal Bhatti. I have fond memories of his super hit show, Flop Show, providing the much needed humour in our lives. May his soul rest in peace."

Anupam Kher: "I used to tell Jaspal Bhatti that he does fantastic comedy so seriously. He was also a great supporter of anti corruption campaign. RIP."

Actor-Comedian Suresh Menon: "Romance passed away earlier this week now laughter dies too ......surely the world is coming to an end. RIP jaspal Bhatti."

Arvind Kejriwal: “Jaspal Bhatti was an imp part of anti-corruption struggle. We will all miss him. Also a great loss to the movement. His commitment to anti-corruption movement was amazing. We were together in one tour. He stayed and lived wid us in quite hostile conditions.”

Actor Riteish Deshmukh: "RIP Jaspal Bhatti- Super Hit man from d FLOP SHOW- worked with him in my debut film Tujhe Meri Kasam-humble kind, happy, funny and helpful."

Vishal Dadlani, musician: "Goodbye, Jaspal Bhatti. So few can be satirical, topical, intelligent and yet roaringly popular. RIP."

VJ-turned-actor Ayushmann Khurrana reacted: "#RIP Jaspal Bhatti uncle. My dad's closest pal. May God give strength to Jasraj and Rabia and Savita aunty."

Madhur Bhandarkar: "To make people laugh is an art & Jaspal Bhatti mastered it. RIP Bhatti ji, may god give strength to your family."

Jiten Gajaria, a Twitter user: "Laughter dies.. RIP Jaspal Bhatti. The only satirist on the nation. Thanks for all the laughs."

Sanket tweets: "You've got to miss the subtle yet sharp satire and measured delivery of Jaspal Bhatti in an age of loud comedy and vitriolic outbursts. RIP."

Achyut Menon ‏@achyutmenon, a Twitter user: "I really hope it is indeed one of those pranks that Jaspal Bhatti has been playing on us."

(With IANS inputs)

News Courtesy : NewsBulletin.in

Pics Courtesy : hindustantimes.com and thehindubusinessline.com

Credits : Kshah for posting the news first here

• Like 2

May his soul rest in peace. :(

this has a big loss to the nation. no one can reach his heights in comedy and in film industry..

May his soul rest in peace.

I used to eagerly wait all the week for his show FLOP SHOW on DD.I remember show used to run on every monday.

Really a Great sattirist on social problems.Really a great man.No doubt will find peace ahead

Jaspal Bhatti: My Neil Armstrong, R.I.P. [Guest Column]

Sorabh Pant is one of India’s best and most traveled comedians, having done 300+ shows in 6 countries and opened for Rob Schneider and Wayne Brady. His material has been described as, "intelligent buffoonery," "just really, really loud" and, "arbitrary screaming with jokes in the middle." His comedy covers the sad tale behind the Taj Mahal, why Indian men are Gold medal winning lechers and his great, grand love for chai. Recently, he was voted the #1 Most Interesting Indian On Twitter, a fact he will not shut up about! He founded The East India Co.medy and you can follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

I had no idea, absolutely no clue how important Jaspal Bhatti was to me until today.

He was the first funny person I ever saw on TV. He was the first man I remember sending me into guffaws even when I was too young to even get the joke. He was the first and will always and forever remain the first 'Comedian' I ever came across. Eventually, others came on board the funny wagon: Pankaj Kapur on Zabaan Sambhalke, Shekhar Suman on Dekh Bhai Dekh and Cyrus Broacha just generally and my own father once he realised that I was a little more than an errant little pipsqueak - but, Mr. Bhatti was the first. And, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

jaspal-bhatti1_1351150030_540x540.jpg

When I first saw Flop Show, my immediate thought was to find me a sardar friend. That was it! I wanted someone like Jaspal Bhatti to hang around all the time. Just to follow around the world to see exactly what he would do in different situations, we would walk into bus stops, offices, schools, funeral homes, the RTO and I'd just laugh and laugh as he turned even the most abysmally boring situations into comedy gold. I wanted to be Vivek Shauq, basically. Sardars are genuinely awesome funny people and Mr. B was top of the line. Even now, I know a stand up show is going to go well, if there's just one sardar in the audience. They are hilarious. It's almost like Mr. Bhatti was the prototype and they're all living up to the comedic standards he set! That's one stereotype that I'm grateful for :).

About his shows: the best thing about Flop Show was the credits. Conventionally, in a sitcom back then - once you were done laughing at the antics of the cast - you were done. With Flop Show it went on even as the credits rolled, "Misdirected by", "Overacting", "Real Workers", etc. Probably not funny in the modern context, but, back then it was the funniest thing I had ever seen. Me and my dad would watch the show and each time the credits rolled, we would laugh a few hours more at just how ridiculous the whole thing was and also at how there was a man who had found humor even in a damn dull credit roll! When I saw a similar in Blackadder years later, I assumed it was copied from Flop Show, despite Blackadder coming out years before. With my love for Jaspal Bhatti, I still stand by that :). There's possibly some TV time machine involved...

To date I don't know what the lyrics of Flop Show's title track are - barring 'Cameraman, everyman' - but, I assume they are funny. I assume that like Mr. Bhatti, they carried some deep comedic significance but, I had no idea what because I was bloody 8 years old when it invaded my consciousness! How can a grown man make a show that made an 8 year old boy, a 35 year old man and a 65 year old grand mom laugh the same way? Even my mom, a comedy snob - she didn't like Govinda because he was 'too campy', which was the whole point! - loved Flop Show. That's like Rowan Atkinson getting Margaret Thatcher to guffaw! How important was Jaspal Bhatti? Insanely. Madly. Incredibly. I'm not going to go on a tangent about how he inspired me to become a comedian, even though I realised the truth of that only now!- but, he did. He was an inspiration and one can imagine he's up there with Yama making him roll on the floor about how there's a line to get into heaven. Possibly something about Yama being a CM who is late for a meeting. Or, some such :).Mr. Jaspal Bhatti and indeed the whole cast of Flop Show - you were the first men/women on the moon to me. And, when I look up there tonight, I'm sure even the moon will be beaming a giant smile.

• Like 1

RIP Jaspal Bhatti Ji...you had been pioneer in disclosure of the issues of society with your humour. May god give strength to the family to overcome this irreparable loss.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jaspal Bhatti On the first death anniversary of famous comedian Jaspal Bhatti, his widow wife Savita Bhatti took Chandigarh administration to the task for ignoring the artist, who brought Chandigarh on the international map on Friday. Savita also accuses Chandigarh and its people for not giving him the stature, which Bhatti deserved. Savita was inviting in a Chandigarh traffic police function.

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Jaspal-Bhatti/speednewsbytopic/keyid-34752.cms

May his soul rest in peace.

Not heard much about Jaspal Bhatti but my father always appreciated his efforts for trying to make India a corruptionless country. Also he tells about his super hit comedy shows.