Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
::: VA :::

Windows 8 upgrade for less

Now that Windows 8 has been released and even one on the Windows 7 can easily upgrade . I recently figured out that if you choose to go to Windows 8 upgrade website you can just enter details of any laptop model. For e.g. I put Asus x53u.

I received an e-mail from Microsoft with the promotion code which gives me the Windows 8 upgrade at cheaper price.

Something like 699 rupees.

So go ahead if you want to buy full version then you don't have to pay a lot of sum.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

is it that simple of entering just model number? or do we need to give all the details regarding the purchase & may be the genuine product key of the current windows 7, they also advertised Windows 8 pro for just Rs.1999/- in upgrade offer.

• Like 1

exactly... Even i am getting the same page.

Which asks for the dealer name, date of purchase etc.

Hope you guys have taken permission from your wife before taking benefit of the upgrade offer mentioned in the topic title.. :suicide::Kill:

Widows 8 upgrade for less

• Like 5

mods pls update the title "windows 8 upgrade for less"

guys just put any random name of computer dealer you know.

dont think they verify it as the machine & details i put in were not actually eligible.

infact the model i mentioned doesnt even come with any os.

but i have received the coupon already.

Key Dates

You must purchase a qualifying Windows 7 PC between 2 June 2012 and 31 January 2013 to be eligible for this offer. The last day to register and order your Windows 8 upgrade is 28 February 2013.

http://goo.gl/y59K5

Not exactly clear, how they are going to validate our proof of purchase ?

I just tried and it said your keys are not eligible :(

I am using win 7 ultimate hp oem

I guess they are checking the keys and in the key there is some way to determine when the key was generated.

I also received the promo code by entering very little details about my laptop although purchased 9 months before but entered as only 3 months before purchased.

Got the code but the price is not 699 , it is 1999.

I got for 699 though my laptop was a few months older than required for eligibility; But when i try entering similar info for my pc i get 1999. I think its checking the current win7 serial (or maybe just the INSTALL DATE OF WIN7 as i have a recent re-install on laptop but not pc).

Try re-installing win7 & then trying again. will try on my pc tomorrow & update the result here.

• Like 1

If you have IEEE or ACM membership can get it for free.

MSDNAA aka Dreamspark Premium is available free of charge for all members of IEEE and ACM.

MSDNAA Page: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Computer Society - Computer Science - DreamSpark Premium | Academic Software Discounts

MSDNAA Page: Association for Computing Machinery - Advancing Computing - DreamSpark Premium | Academic Software Discounts

Source : techenclave - kuduku

I also brought for Windows 8 for 699, Created a ISO file also. will the drivers will be compatable?

Most of the drivers are compatible. Microsoft has loaded Win8 with hell lots of drivers.

PC Newer than 8 months may need drivers. But its able to download most of them with Windows Update.

Even at Rs 699, am still debating the utility value considering that I have licensed versions of Win 7 on both my laptop and home PC. I guess I will give it a pass even though I did put in the effort of generating the required code! The fun part of Win 8 would be once you have a touch screen (which I lack as of now) so I will just simply skip this one update!

By the way, thanks to the OP for the info

Regards

Rahul

If you have IEEE or ACM membership can get it for free.

MSDNAA aka Dreamspark Premium is available free of charge for all members of IEEE and ACM.

Microsoft should allow academic/student membership/discount to every windows user.

What with drastic interface change and a steep learning curve, it has turned every windows user into a student all over again! :Read::(

It's trying to replicate apple model of single OS for all devices but i think kahi aisa na ho ki...

kauwa chala hans ki chal, aakhir bhula apni chal. apni chal ko bhula logo, apni chal ko bhula.

• Like 2

Very correct Rajan Ji.

This might actually revive microsoft across all platforms specially against google in mobiles and apple in pc.

Having common os in mobile tablet and pc can lay a great impact on usability and experience for people wanting better integration of their gadgets.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I am not getting option to enter the promo code, is it after entering payment details or before that. I tried through windows Upgrade Assistant.

It's after entering card details and clicking next.

I fullly agree with VA, there is great disconnect between portable and fixed devices. I mean laptop / desktops and tablets / smart phones. I am very anxiously waiting for windows 8 as for me most interesting part is tablet with laptop / desktop OS and functionalists.

Similarly there will be (hopefully) MS will be offering better integration between PRO and RT OS.

Finally I have upgraded my desktop also to Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit. 001_smile.gif

It was running Windows XP for last few years.

So my laptop, as well the Desktop, is on Windows 8.

I wanted to retain XP on desktop but Intel does not provide USB 3.0 driver for its latest chipset (Gigabyte B75 motherboard) and my new motherboard does not have PCI Express slot to use my existing USB 3.0 card which has NEC chipset and compatible with windows XP. So, I had to upgrade and I chose windows 8 over Windows 7.

I came across not fair but interesting way to get upgrade for 699.

Heard students talking about it

Went to Croma, saw hp laptop, noted win serial and bought upgrade :rolleyes:

Interesting isn't it?

• Like 7

Microsoft is dolling out FREE Windows Media Center Pack upgrade Key to anyone by just putting your email here >> http://windows.micro...8/feature-packs :grin:

Then Google is your best friend to find out the rest. :P

• Like 1