Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
FEVIN-RAJ

Android application in-app purchase done accidently

My 7 year old kid was playing with the 'Talking tom Cat' application on my epic 4G. He clicked on the Reward coin purchase pop up and which resulted deducting Rs 1300 from my credit card account

My hard luck, he clicked 3 times more ...OOOhhh ... the total credit raised to 5200 Rs..!!!!

Surprisingly during the transaction process it never asked verification password. I hope, the transations would not been happened, if password were asked.

Now I have given a mail to CC department

Dudes, I Need your valuable advice & suggestions in this matter

Fevin

Can u raise an unauthorized transaction case with your card issuing bank? I guess that should help.

There is no refund/cancellation by google play store directly for in app purchases. Neither is 15 minute cancellation window for main app purchases applicable.

Immediately write an email to the app developer requesting refund giving reason as your daughter clicking purchases through error and not actually intended purchase.

If you're lucky, the dev will issue refund.

You can do it through your account in google checkout here >> https://checkout.google.com/

By "verification password" are you referring to the Credit Card's security password (SecureCode)? Many international online payment gateways do not require that and can process payments without SecureCode. It was made mandatory by RBI only for e-commerce merchants in India and Google Checkout is not based in India.

You can enable “Use PIN for purchases" option in Google Play Store app's Settings to prevent that in future.

• Like 7

Feel sorry for you Fevin. You lost so much money without anybodies mistake. Kids are kids, we cannot blame them :)

Same thing happened with me. My 4 year old kid purchased some addons in Angry birds. Fortunately, the two purchases were only of $2 & $3 each. Now I have also enabled "use pin for purchase".

Also as a safety precaution, now I disable data before handing over the phone to the kids.

• Like 2

Thanks guys

I have asked C card people to stop the payment. but since its already debited nothing can be done at this time

also i have send mails to the developer... but no hope ..

@ ankit

trying the suggested way

@ arun

U are right ... RBI rules are applicable to Indian companies only

@ rajan

I have checked checkout.google.com link. It shows all the 4 transactions

By "verification password" are you referring to the Credit Card's security password (SecureCode)? Many international online payment gateways do not require that and can process payments without SecureCode. It was made mandatory by RBI only for e-commerce merchants in India and Google Checkout is not based in India.

You can enable “Use PIN for purchases" option in Google Play Store app's Settings to prevent that in future.

Feel sorry for you Fevin. You lost so much money without anybodies mistake. Kids are kids, we cannot blame them :)

Same thing happened with me. My 4 year old kid purchased some addons in Angry birds. Fortunately, the two purchases were only of $2 & $3 each. Now I have also enabled "use pin for purchase".

Also as a safety precaution, now I disable data before handing over the phone to the kids.

Yes Anurag ...

We should always disable data before handing over the phone to the kids.

Its a lesson to all Androidians. The same thing can happen in case when ur phone is lost

Always remove the CC a/c info from your google wallet a/c after purchase.

You can ask for the refund from developer, actually I have got refund for an app after 4 days

sivashankkar

I have just enabled my pin after reading your above experience.

• Like 2

You can ask for the refund from developer, actually I have got refund for an app after 4 days

sivashankkar

thanks siva

can u pls explain the process u have adopted ?

I have a doubt whether the PIN is applicable for in-app purchases also or only for purchases on GPS? I am a very safe persona nd I had enabled the PIN as soon as I saw the option some 6 to 8 months back.

One more doubt - if CC transactions online require a Security Code and for telephonic transactions we require a OTP, then for these mobile GPS and in-app transactions also, there should be some such secondary code mandated. Maybe we all should collectively complain to the RBI, so that such accidental purchases are not made and the country's precious foreign exchange is not wasted.

My 2 cents...

Thanks Arun. Just now enabled it. Was not aware of it earlier.

I have a doubt whether the PIN is applicable for in-app purchases also or only for purchases on GPS? I am a very safe persona nd I had enabled the PIN as soon as I saw the option some 6 to 8 months back.

It is applicable for both: http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1626831

One more doubt - if CC transactions online require a Security Code and for telephonic transactions we require a OTP, then for these mobile GPS and in-app transactions also, there should be some such secondary code mandated. Maybe we all should collectively complain to the RBI, so that such accidental purchases are not made and the country's precious foreign exchange is not wasted.

My 2 cents...

Well that's why the PIN option is there and should prevent such purchases through Play Store. RBI cannot force restriction on a payment gateway/merchant that is not based in India. If they restrict Credit Card companies from password less transactions completely, then many international online transactions would not be possible.

My 7 year old kid was playing with the 'Talking tom Cat' application on my epic 4G. He clicked on the Reward coin purchase pop up and which resulted deducting Rs 1300 from my credit card account

My hard luck, he clicked 3 times more ...OOOhhh ... the total credit raised to 5200 Rs..!!!!

Surprisingly during the transaction process it never asked verification password. I hope, the transations would not been happened, if password were asked.

Now I have given a mail to CC department

Dudes, I Need your valuable advice & suggestions in this matter

Fevin

I guess you must have done it already, but if not, you have one more option.

1) On PC/laptop go to google play website. Login with your details.

2) In the bottom end of web page, click on "My Orders & Settings"

3) Check the list of applications you (or :) ) have downloaded from AM

4) In the last column, there is link to "Report". Click on that.

5) Now, select your issue "I'd like to request a refund"

6) It will mention further steps to be carried out on phone itself. Do that.

7) Also, fill up the text box with your genuine refund justification.

8) Wait.

Maybe, this should directly reach to google play concerned teams & before revenue share occurs (between developer, advertiser & google), they may be in a position to refund..Hope you get this.. PS : I have not tried this.

I have enabled pin in all my phones and tab when i saw that option many months back. Further, i don't keep internet on unnecessarily, especially when my baby is playing with my phone..

At the max, she had depleted all powerups bought by (me) in app purchase from angry birds. That's it..

We can't control our kids or keep an eye on them always, but we can control internet and online transactions at our will. That's the only best way for now. But more than 3k for a voice repeating cat game is too much and i hope the developer will understand and may give you a refund.

Sent from my Razr MAXX using Tapatalk2

thats why I only hand over my chinese tab to my kid. kid loves it as its bigger. I love it as it has no SIM, so no accidental data.

^^^ :good:

Update

No reply from Outfit7.com for my 5 mails :NOTriste: :NOTriste: :NOTriste::duel:

Bank confirmed that international transactions does not hav Verification PW :suicide:

BTW,

I didn't blaimed my son doing all this ... but he understands well what happened and not even touched my mobile after this incident.

I lov my Kid..

Edited by FEVIN-RAJ
  • Like 5

+1 for your kid as he controlled playing apps

God bless him

some happiness to come !!!!

^^^

Thanks buddy ...

But as common man said,in post 17

He is now settled :boxing: with my tab (Vee Dee D10 - amazingly performs great even after, 11months of purchase)

^^^ :good:

BTW,

I didn't blaimed my son doing all this ... but he understands well what happened and not even touched my mobile after this incident.

I lov my Kid..

Great

^^^

Thanks buddy ...

But as common man said,in post 17

He is now settled :boxing: with my tab (Vee Dee D10 - amazingly performs great even after, 11months of purchase)

incidentally mine is also vee dee D10.

Thanks Arun. Never new that this feature existed, enabled it now.