Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
PKC19

External Hard Drive not detected by PC

I have a Thoshiba External hard disk which is not detected by my Laptop (tried on 2 other laptops as well)

This will mean the Hard Drive has gone bad, But the strange thing is it is getting detected perfectly by my LG TV and able to view movie and pics.

Any idea what that issue can be as is being detected by TV and not be any PC's

Try changing data cable in case u haven't till now. Who knows u might get lucky

Could be a problem with the formatting of the Hard Disk, so if you do not have any valuable data on it, you can try and go for formatting the drive. If the drive itself is not detected, then could be an issue with the cable as suggested by Ankit above.

Already done. :nerves: without any success

HDD alive? Did you check that or not.

Samsung Galaxyâ„¢ SIII Tapatalk

HDD alive it is getting deticated by my TV as a USB drive and works perfectly fine.

But not getting deticated by PC

As there is no problem with the cable, try the following

This type of problem is seen in lower configuration PCs with XP OS due to the driver (software) installation problem. If the laptops you used are with XP OS, try in W7 PCs.

If you are using a real time anti virus in your laptop, the external drive (hard disc or pen drive) will be shown only after scanning completed. As the capacity of the external HDD is high it will take some time to complete the scanning and HDD will be shown after a few minutes. So wait a few minutes after connecting HDD or temporarily turn off antivirus and connect the HDD.

Some hard disc drives require more than 500 milli Ampere of current. The USB ports in a PC will supply 500 milli Ampere of current only, So that type of HDDs requires to connect with 2 USB ports simultaneously. But in the case of TV the USB port current is not regulated like the SMPS and motherboard regulations of a PC and will yield more than 500 milli Ampere of current and the HDD will work in a single USB port. So check whether your HDD requires 2 USB ports.

• Like 3

After connecting the HDD to a laptop, go to Disk management and check if the Disk is visible or not? If yes then the mode should be online

If you are using Windows XP, try this.

Disconnect your "Thoshiba External hard disk". :)

Restart your computer in Safe Mode.

Go to device manager.

Uninstall all "Generic Volumes" under "Storage Volumes"

Uninstall all "Generic USB Hub" under "Universal Serial Bus Controller"

If you see your "Toshiba External hard disk" under "Disk Drives", uninstall that.

Restart your computer. Let it find any new hardware and connect your external hard disk.

You can also leave your hard disk connected to the computer and restart the computer. In doing this checkdisk will run and rectify any errors if any.

Edited by sliver1

many a time, drive does not assign a drive letter itself especially portable.. try to see if you can see it in disk management. if its there assign drive letter. my seagate expansion faced same problm,