Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ami1

Please Suggest a Good Micro Hi Fi / Bookshelf Music System...

Past few months I have been looking for a compact music system for use in bedroom. Though I have a few very basic requirements, as there's a larger system in drawing room, i have been completely unable to find a perfect model and ended up with 3 different system none of which really fulfill the required function.

So I urgently need some advise about this issue. My simple requirements are :-

• Minimum Number of wires (ie no 5.1 type of systems; preferably wireless subwoofer etc)
  • No too big and unwieldy
  • Should show USB Folder names on its display (most systems only show these when you have connected a TV - but i don;t like TV in bedroom at all)
  • Should have easy folder / file browsing
  • At least 40-50 Watt RMS

I am giving the background/history below so you can understand the problems.

First ordered Sony CMT EH25 Micro hifi system from flipkart (this is really cheap at just 5-6k)

post-3171-0-84996800-1357453248_thumb.jp

This was really nice & small and cheap and shows USB folder names and has dedicated folder change button etc. BUT it was only 10 Watt RMS so i went to showroom to try the next bigger model of Sony CMT DX400A (around 8-9K)

89897.jpeg

However, in this model there's no folder name display (it will display on TV if you connect) so I didn't buy it.

Instead i explored and then ordered this Philips MCD 388 which mentioned folder browsing etc. (~15K but i got for 12K)

philips-mcd388-275x275-imad7nhwctshzrvp.

Now this is a beautiful system with wireless sub-woofer, small size, really loud 100 Watt RMS and Great Bass, No wires etc even in the main unit, motorized Slot loading DVD, front USB & SD Card, small cute remote etc

But for the life of me I can NOT browse USB folders unless there's a TV connected. Philips says that's what they meant in ad. If you connect a TV the browsing is just like a PC with folders and up/down enter/back etc.

Tried many work arounds like have 5-6 different USB pendrives with different type of music on them and only 1-2 folders but its not practical.

AND i have long ago thrown away all my CD/DVDs/Tapes and have only flac/mp3 music now.

So then I again explored and got a Sony MHC GZR5D

28670.jpeg

This one has a huge 240 Watt RMS (2600 watt PMPO), 3 CD changer, CD/Tape/Radio to MP3 recording etc BUT the main unit is 18 inches deep (which is not evident from the front) speakers are only 6-7 inches deep but main unit juts out of my 12 inch deep shelf ready to topple.

Also, though it has a dedicated Folders browse +/- button, the display only shows numbers not names for folders (unless you connect TV)

I have seen a lot of ipod/iphone Dock type of systems also but they don't really serve the purpose though they are small.

Though a Denon N7 would fulfil all criteria plus play files streamed over wifi from my PC, but I don't want to spend 35-40K on a secondary system for the bedroom. N7 is only 11.7 inches deep (speakers are 11") and displays folder/file names and has a folder +/- button on remote.

M_Ceol_002.png

So, any one has any idea for a suitable Micro HiFi / Bookshelf system with reasonable size and good USB browsing ?

• Like 1

Instead of searching for a new music system all over again, can't you think of using a digital photo frame with AV Input OR portable dvd player with AV input to be used as a folder display unit for Philips MCD 388 which you like otherwise in all respects.

• Like 1

Not a bad idea but somehow I am unable to find any photo frames with video Input. Most of them have some AV Output.

I need either HDMI or S-Video.

Do photo frames come with any type of video input ?

Just to update, have finally bought Denon N5 after selling all the other systems. N5 is absolutely perfect for the stated requirements - small size, easy to clean, no jumble of wires, completely sealed speakers etc.

Has WiFi and does Apple Airplay, plus remote on iphone & android and internet radio and playing from windows media player library over the network, apart form very good USB browsing and really good volume, clarity & bass. (even though the system & speakers are extremely small)