Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gyanesh

Are SIMs used for Data and Voice Different ?

Hi,

I am using Reliance 3G in an unlocked Alcatel dongle from last 3 months. I was continously facing problems of frequent disconnection and sometimes even not connecting. I logged several complains, but all in vain. I, then gave request to port out to Vodafone, but Voda executive told me I would not be able to make voice calls from their's SIM which would be used for data. I then visited "Idea", and they too informed I might use for voice calls, but it is not recommended by the company. Both the executives of Voda and Idea, said, SIM used for data are different from the SIM which are used for voice. I asked them then how Reliance was providing both services on the same SIM. The "Idea" executive was clueless, but the Voda executive told that could be the reason for my problem.

Experts, can you pls. throw some light on this issue. AFAIK, there should be no difference in between the SIMS.

The very purpose of 3G is to have voice and data on the same connection. I have two GSM 3G connections R-GSM and MTNL SIMs and both are used for voice data and video calling.

Then what could be the reason they are discouraging to use unlocked dongle ? To sell theirs locked dongles ?

I think so, I have an Airtel sim which they blocked incoming and outgoing voice calls. The executives from airtel informed me that if call comes, it will disconnect the internet. so, they disabled voice calling on that number. But i have another BSNL no. which is working fine with voice calls.and 3G without any issues.Probably your issues related with coverage.

Never heard of such thing. Have a friend who has used his Airtel, MTNL, Idea, Reliance and Aircel sims for both calling purpose and for using net on laptop too. Now he uses Airtel and Idea only cos others dont have good spped. He lives in Harsh Vihar. So there shouldn't be any problem as you were told.

If both the executives suggested you to buy their own dongles, then I am quite sure that they just want to make you fool and sell the dongle.

Also my father lives in Jaipur now and has two sims for net purpose. One is Reliance 2G and other is BSNL 3G. BSNL doesnt work where he lives now so he uses Reliance 2G there and when he gets out from there he uses BSNL 3G. And when he comes here to Rohini, he uses both.
BTW, whats your location?

Hi,

I am using Reliance 3G in an unlocked Alcatel dongle from last 3 months. I was continously facing problems of frequent disconnection and sometimes even not connecting. I logged several complains, but all in vain. I, then gave request to port out to Vodafone, but Voda executive told me I would not be able to make voice calls from their's SIM which would be used for data. I then visited "Idea", and they too informed I might use for voice calls, but it is not recommended by the company. Both the executives of Voda and Idea, said, SIM used for data are different from the SIM which are used for voice. I asked them then how Reliance was providing both services on the same SIM. The "Idea" executive was clueless, but the Voda executive told that could be the reason for my problem.

Experts, can you pls. throw some light on this issue. AFAIK, there should be no difference in between the SIMS.

It is a network connection error, not dongle or service provider's policy. Best is try to avoid buying data SIM for dongle, instead go for normal voice+data mobile SIM. Cellcos are not bothered if you use mobile SIMs on datacards. I used to use Tata Docomo mobile simcard on Vodafone's unlocked dongle for months on normal 2G/3G mobile packages.

The actual difference is the recharge denominations, when we try to recharge a data SIM, while entering the subscriber number it will be detected as datacard, while a normal mobile handset sim goes with mobile data packages. The whole list of recharge will differ. Nothing else.

post-45997-0-70038800-1362551314_thumb.j

post-45997-0-08781200-1362551332_thumb.j

• Like 1

The vodafone person would have offered you a data only simple. They have that product. You're free to take voice also on it.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD

That's profile management by operators, there's no difference b/w voice n data sim. But some mo restrict voice on data card sims.

Thanks to all for your prompt suggestions.

@ scott1391990, My location is Vasundhara, sect-2c, Ghaziabad.