Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
avishekghosh

Sistema (MTS) plans LTE for India in future

The latest name to join in Indian LTE league is SSTL(MTS). They recently secured its operations in 8 circles of India, which are accounted for 60% data market, 40% population in India and 75% of SSTL’s current revenue. In a global press release Sistema said: ‘The spectrum in 8 circles is technologically neutral and is valid for 20 years. This provides an opportunity to strengthen SSTL’s data driven strategy through a possible LTE roll out in the future.

:D:D:D:D:D

Source - http://telecomtalk.info/sistema-plans-lte-for-india-in-future/105233/

Thanks to TelecomTalk & inception (Rudradip Biswas)

Sent from my hTc Droid Incredible 2 on MTS :-)

• Like 2

Good news :w00t:

Only question is whether they would be able to match Mukesh D Ambani?<br />

Edited by commonman

I hope our imported handsets supports this frequency! :thumbup:

Hope so...

Experts pls post your comments regarding the compatibility of foreign handsets with the proposed LTE tech of MTS!

Samsung Galaxy S4 has 3G, 4G LTE and even TD-LTE band capability, so may I hope for this to be the flagship of LTE service providers in coming days in India?

@commonman, as far as competition is concerned, I can bet the subscriber will be a winner again. Reliance grossly ignored the rural India for its 3G/ EVDO service and even the 2G CDMA is almost nowhere in many circles. For example you will have to toil hard to find a Reliance CDMA subscriber in rest of WB circle, their mobile internet is dismal leave aside availability of EVDO. Similar is the case of many circles which are predominantly rural/semi-urban. Reliance Jio will find it hard, or rather we, the common subscribers will feel it hard to find Reliance Jio in our small towns/cities.

It's reality a paradox that in a country like India, telecom companies need to provide latest technology (for which they have to bear a considerable cost in importing and setting up capital goods and software) but the tariff cannot be higher/ comparable to global standard. 2G tariff vis-a-vis its cost to company sets breakeven points around end of this decade, while that arithmetic is making 3G proposition almost non-viable in India. 4G foray of AirTel nosedived.

MTS has succeeded where they have tried to invade small towns/cities and from where Tata & Reliance chose to stay away. For example, MTS's sucess story in ROWB circle is mainly based on its strategy to go for 35 cities with EVDO where Tata or Reliance didn't bother to explore. Even at my city which boasts a Central University and where a quite good number of foreigner students come regularly, only MTS has EVDO coverage in full area whereas AirTel & Vodafone have launched 3G on a single tower each.

Now MTS has got the advantage of having spectrum which is technology neutral. With limitation of bandwidth compared to that of Reliance, MTS can try to lower tariff and fight with a different strategy. To provide voice BWA operators operators will need to belch out more to Govt exchequer.

• Like 1

@ sougatadc

Good points mate...:D

you are absolutely right... ;)

I am really happy that the telecom space is up in action again after a long time and happy to see the commitment of MTS towards the Indian Telecom scenario.

MTS is welcome to offer LTE services with their existing spectrum. But not too sure about one thing. Jio Infocomm, Airtel, etc have got 4G spectrum in 2300Mhz band. MTS in 800 Mhz band. And the government plans to conduct auctions for the 700 Mhz band which is considered to be the most efficient spectrum and also used globally.

So will it mean that we may have to see network locked 4 g devices rather than open devices. For eg. can a 4g device work on 2300, 800 and 700 mhz band????

• Like 1

If Samsung Galaxy S4's specs are taken into consideration, its 4G will be ' market dependant'. And with Samsung's marketing strategy in view, it may be inferred optimistically that in coming years when there will be commercial 4G signal in India, compatible handset availablability will not be an issue.

I hope our imported handsets supports this frequency! :thumbup:

Hope so...

Experts pls post your comments regarding the compatibility of foreign handsets with the proposed LTE tech of MTS!

Current crop of imported LTE CDMA phones won't but when phones with RF360 chip will start coming, it will.

Finally, an LTE Chip That Will Work Anywhere in the World

• Like 1

@saugata when RIL started RIM under Mukesh Ambani they had the highest penetration next to BSNL. but by the time R COM started its EVDO venture it was with Anil Ambani. Different person, different objectives.

@ commonman, 'Kar Lo Duniya Mutthi Mein' and Reliance India Mobile was Dhirubhai's essay and not Mukesh's. I know the success story and role of Kokilaben Ambani in distribution of business between two brothers, Anil's strategy and present status of Reliance's mobile business.

However, if you hope, Mukesh will turn the penetration wheel again with new venture and altogether new technology, I'll share the same platform with you because after all we are the subscribers who on the first place want to get the benefit. Who cares if the best service comes from MTS or Mukesh Ambani's company? If cheap and fast internet reaches to small towns and cities everybody will get the benefit. Unlike the GSM 3G availability only at certain places we want more and more penetration of wireless broadband. That will help in our national growth.

The announcement for RIM came 6 mths after Dhirubhai's death and the actual services started after another 3 months (softlaunch) and the commercial services started from April 2003. I have been a subscriber since the days of softlaunch. But yes ultimately the benefit all goes to the customer. I still remember the comment of Sunil B Mittal when asked about possible reduction of rates after the announcement of RIM - bakre ko to halal hona hi hai, lekin kisto mein.

At my place there was Reliance Smart only and I started to use it with an outgoing rate of Rs. 5/min and that of incoming Rs. 4/ min.

But I saw how my place (with many other places) got ignored by the operators. Webworld was shut down within a year or two and was never reopened. Postpaid CDMA was launched only by Tata only to be stopped expansion. Myself being one of the very few postpaid Tata subscribers struggle to pay the bills ( e-payment is the only option as the only exclusive store of Tata has been closed. Tata and Reliance gradually went on closing their non-revenue earning towers one by one, in turn forcing the subscribers to leave. Reliance netconnect eventually became a user's nightmare.

On the other hand MTS gathered foothold where these two giants left a vacant field. Sans MTS, a smartphone subscriber has to use slow 1X at most of the places.

These are the reasons why I'm pinning hope on MTS.

But I also feel that if Reliance wants, it has strong potential to become the most attractive 4G operator in India.

• Like 1

Yes I still remember the days I usef to pay Rs.6 o/g for 30 sec and Rs.4 i/c for30 sec to Airtel. Landline charges extra. The entry of RIM changed that. Although it is still a riddle for me why Reliance kept RTL (smart) separate from Infocom (now RCOM) . But lets just hope that the customers gets the maximum benefit.

Read MTS future plans here

• Like 1

Hope all these get implemented. After reaching the projected breakeven point at Q4 of 2014/ Q1 of 2015 (our ROWB has crossed already in Q4 of 2012], data-centric projects, especially the LTE essay may become viable.

टपटक 2 के ज़रिए सैमसंग गैलेक्सी एस3 से यह पोस्ट लिखा गया

Edited by sougatadc

CDMA was all ill planned strategy It failed because of locked sets non availability of CDMA GSM dual sets initially

Reliance failed after takeover. It targeted balance of customer rather than quality of network. TATA surrenderd without

fight although it was in better position.The success of MTS should be eye opener to Reliance and TATA

Some reports are saying MTS will deploy LTE after TWO Years. Read it HERE >> http://www.themobileindian.com/news/11637_MTS-to-offer-9.8-Mbps-data-speed-LTE-after-two-years

However Spokesperson of MTS India told The Mobile Indian, "LTE is a long term plan and will happen only after about 2 years. In the short term we are looking at improving our existing CDMA network to offer better coverage and speeds in the nine circles that we are now present.”
On asking about the specific technology he said, "EVDO Rev B is a possibility since we have bagged three channels of spectrum (1.25 MHz each with total 3.75 MHz), and we will be looking at deploying the technology in near term.”

MTS becomes the first operator to receive the much awaited 3rd carrier in the 800 Mhz spectrum band from the Department of Telecom (DoT). A few days ago it became the first operator to receive unified licence which enabled it to provide technology neutral telecom services for a period of 20 years and hence can launch LTE without any problem. Now it can easily provide Rev B over this 3rd carrier.

Link

It is confirmed that MTS is not going to launch LTE, instead they are going to launch "EVDO RevB" in all the present circles. Heard that it is easy to upgrade to "RevB" from "EVDO RevA", only a few additional equipments and software upgrade is required. So they can save money and time. LTE BTS equipments are very costly and requires more time to install. More over MTS has work experience in "EVDO RevB" technology in Rajastan. Now they have 3 carrier in each circles, 1st carrier can be used for 1x, second carrier for RevA and 3rd carrier can be used for RevB. Web page response time will be decreased to 50% while using these 3 carriers.

MTS started the sale of Wi FI enabled "REV.B" dongles in Kerala, named as "MBlaze WI FI". Now only post paid users will get "REV.B" 9.8Mbps speed. (Pre paid schemes are there, but they will get only "REV.A" 3.1 Mbps speed with these data cards). My cousin bought one. Rs. 2000 as dongle cost and monthly rental Rs. 724 + tax for 12 GB "REV.B" then unlimited in 1x speed. He told me this price is an introductory offer, actual price is Rs 2299 and Rs. 799 + tax. His dongle is not activated and will take 5 days to activate.

Edited by KAPILKDEV
  • Like 1

website link http://www.mtsindia.in/wifi/

as per website presently available for buying in Delhi, Rajasthan, Karnataka & TN. Available pre-order basis at Kolkata/ROB, Gujarat, UP & Kerala

Rev.B plans appear to be practically the same as Rev.A plans