Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
phonegeek

BBM Released For Android and iOS

BlackBerry has just announced that its hugely popular BBM messaging service is going multi-platform: it will be released for Android and iOS as a free app this summer. BBM will support iOS hardware running iOS 6 and above; the Android version will be compatible with version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and above. "It's time to bring BBM to a greater audience," CEO Thorsten Heins said in announcing the expansion, "no matter what mobile device they carry."
Though it's long been considered one of BlackBerry's strongest exclusive offerings, Heins said that his company aims to deliver a "fully featured" BBM experience on rival smartphone operating systems. "We're starting with messaging and groups, but we'll bring voice, screen share, and of course, channels later on," he said.
"Why are we doing this now? It's a statement of confidence," Heins went on. He said that BlackBerry 10's prospects are "so strong that we are confident that BBM can become an independent messaging solution." In a press release, BlackBerry notes that BBM's successful move to iOS and Android depends upon the approval of Apple and Google. Assuming things go according to plan, BBM will face no shortage of competition from WhatsApp and other messaging apps that already enjoy enormous success across mobile platforms.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/14/4330122/blackberry-bringing-bbm-to-android-ios-this-summer

• Like 2

Just wondering, if BBM would be made available on other platforms then what would be the USP of Blackberry Platform. I feel its too late now as Whatsapp is quite popular among other platforms and why would ppl wanna pay for BBM besides the security aspect. Had they taken this step earlier the could have pinned down Whatsapp and likes before becoming big.

+1 above, and further to it, Google is going to bring it unified messaging services in couple of days in IO. So its very late now.

Sorry BB :(

I don't think so....

They are very late to the party.

Also now bbm does not have any exclusive feature.

Sent from Samsung S3 using Tapatalk 2

WhatsApp is presently the most popular among third party messenger services. It is surprising to hear the CEO Thorsten Heins speak about licensing out BBM as he was initially dead against it and wanted to focus more on developing new phones and operating system.

This new Press Release denotes much about BlackBerry's perception of the future of its new handset releases and how the company is trying to stay relevant in a world ruled by Windows and Android.

People using whatsapp are very unlikely to shift.

"..it will be released for Android and iOS as a free app this summer..."

No need to pay extra though.

This will be really nice . Have to try it. Wonder what will happen to whatsapp

@garynsa,

Question to be asked is what will happen to BlackBerry, as after opening up BBM it will have hardly any USP. Also many BBM users are also on Whatsapp, so wondering if it adds any value to shift to BBM except for security.

@garynsa, Question to be asked is what will happen to BlackBerry, as after opening up BBM it will have hardly any USP. Also many BBM users are also on Whatsapp, so wondering if it adds any value to shift to BBM except for security.

In the review Blackberry sounded pretty confident of their phones. I haven't personally used the z10 yet so can't be for sure. If it can truly get android apps to work perfectly hardware and look bb doesn't look like a bad choiceAs for moving personally what I used in the past both what's app and bbm seemed pretty much the same but will allow to be better integrated with some friend who don't have what's app and use the basic bbm services planAlso corporates do still prefer bbm as the main office phone and will allow such users to be better connected with their non bbm friends

ready to pay for services if I can get my name as bbpin :D

@garynsa, Question to be asked is what will happen to BlackBerry, as after opening up BBM it will have hardly any USP. Also many BBM users are also on Whatsapp, so wondering if it adds any value to shift to BBM except for security.

In the review Blackberry sounded pretty confident of their phones. I haven't personally used the z10 yet so can't be for sure. If it can truly get android apps to work perfectly hardware and look bb doesn't look like a bad choice As for moving personally what I used in the past both what's app and bbm seemed pretty much the same but will allow to be better integrated with some friend who don't have what's app and use the basic bbm services plan Also corporates do still prefer bbm as the main office phone and will allow such users to be better connected with their non bbm friends

Most android apps work flawlessly on Z10. But quite a few just don't work. With the 10.2 update ALL are expected to work (as it runs the Android 4.2 player).

That said, I don't think BBM is much of a USP any more. At least not in India. The earlier cheap BIS plans may have been useful for some but now BB10 uses normal internet plans so..

The no-nonsense performance and very thoughtful UI of Z10 is much more persuasive along with the Hub, Z10 browser which outperforms both iphone5 and sgs4, few more such features. But all these will come to android anyway in a short time and to iphone in a long time.

What remains for BB is whether you want a phone to play & fiddle around all day Or you want a phone to increase your actual productivity without worrying about its settings/apps/roms.

it's launching in two days, on 20th sept

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I really dont know what Blackberry is upto .... i am sure they gonna file bankruptcy sooon ....

By now everyone is using whatsapp type of messengers.

And it is actually quite good and simple to use for normal people as it doesn't require creating a login/pass etc - just enter your phone number and its done in a minute.

I have found all types of people using whatsapp who can't even use email. They send attachments and photos of bills etc and actually no longer need email.

I don't think anyone is going to use BBM on a non blackberry phone. It's just going to dilute their brand exclusivity to the few customers they have left or to corporate guys using BBM groups for discussing projects and other confidential things.

• Like 1

Whatsapp is supposed to be only free for the first year. thereafter you need to pay or register with a new number

Whatsapp is supposed to be only free for the first year. thereafter you need to pay or register with a new number

They generally extend the free period at thr the end of 1st year.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

The privacy is stronger on bbm. If you are on what's app then anybody who has your number knows you are online and can send you msgs.

The biggest problem with WhatsApp is that whoever person who have your number can see your status and your profile picture.... Which can even be saved.... Even if you know him or not... After BBM arrives I would personally use it more then WhatsApp.... :)

Edited by kalpeshaparmar

I think it would only be for 4.0 and above versions

The best part of BBM launch on Android & IOS would be that Whatsapp may be compelled to carry on with free usage for fear of losing users to BBM :haha::haha::haha:

It was launched for android ics and above today at 4 30pm IST.

Anyone downloaded BBM on Android phone??

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

It was supposed to be launched at 4:30 PM IST but they are late. Not yet launched.