Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sgiitk

International Travel - SIM Cards, Data Charges, Etc

I am sure many of us travel abroad for short trips. Even if we have to get roaming on our mobiles (the changes are CRAZY we may still wish to have local mobiles:

In the US getting a SIM/CDMA connection takes ages, so kids take a SIM from India.

In the Gulf the shortest duration of a prepaid is One Year, so for a short trip taking a SIM from here makes sense. In the Gulf (at least Dubai) data charges can be crazy. Matrix advised me that GPRS may be as much as $10/MB! Also, most hotels charge AED40 per hour (120 per day) for wireless connectivity. Some malls, and airport do have free connectivity.

I took a Matrix SIM at Rs.500 (or rather 550 with taxes) with a 10 day validity and 500MB talk/sms time. The SIM was on du and worked instantly. Of course make sure you switch off all data services before landing else you inadvertently get fleeced.

I will like others to post about alternate channels, experiences.

• Like 1

:previous:

Yes... Matrix is the best choice and it has FREE Incoming IR in many countries and it even pays for INCOMING (like virgin here) while roaming in countries like Austria, etc...

But in CHINA, you can get SIMs easily.. They are selling SIMs in airport itself, but it is slightly costlier than the same is available in streets... If I remember correctly, my incoming calls are also charged (not much, but still) and I used China-Mobile-GSM... Man, their coverage is THE BEST, not even a single SIGNAL point (out of seven) got reduced when going on the road under the river on Shanghai and also in Second-stage of Great-Wall in Beijing...

In Germany, once I bought T-Mobile-D1 prepaid service (incoming FREE, *100# for balance) and FullTT on all recharges (at that time), but still it is better to go for MATRIX ones...

Here some service providers like AirHELL-MTV-prepaid also provides IR, but Rs150 for in/out calls and only saving thing is Incoming SMS is FREE.. My friend bought this when he was gone to Sweden, but as usual AirHELL played DIRTY GAME on his number (when he was in SWEDEN) by activating some FREE :Riendo: song-download VAS and asked him to call some bl00dy number (WON'T WORK IN IR) to deactivate it and they started deducting Rs80 per month (upto 3 times)... He has to reach India to stop that bl00dy VAS and so as usual "BEWARE OF AirHELL"...

Matrix is the best option if you want to have mobile connectivity in most of the countries.. For Data also they have Matrix business services for US and europe and the cost was $30 for a limited Data Plan for your mobile deivice. Now it must have come down..corporate users have highly discounted rates.

One more affordable option for outgoing calls from international locations is by using Skype Credit. gives you the flexibility of cheap local calls in the roaming countries and really affordable international calls from the roaming country. plus sms too at cheap rates. it doesnt give you the comfort of a real time response but still its an affordable option.

Few countries like Singapore and some APAC countries has very cheap India calling cards, and getting a SIM is also easy, average INR 300 for SIM card and for a SGD 8 recharge you get close to 2 hrs Talk time to liandlines and approx 1 hr talk time to mobiles..

Its always advisable to buy a local sim card if you r in Singapore, tariff on prepaid is 9 cents calling to India mobile or landline per min. i.e. Rs 3.5 per min,u can buy a prepaid sim card for 12-15 SGD with a talk time of atleast 10 dollars,calling cards are also cheaper option but for that u need a public phone to make a call.

Sim card tariff is a bit expensive in Thailand as compared to Singapore but buying a sim card is cheap say around 100 Bhat.

'Matrix' gives you a New number and not roaming for your existing Indian Mobile number.

Better to go for Local prepaid which is always more cost effective in all the countries than 'Matrix' or other similar service provider.

During my Feb'11-Mar'11 USA & Dubai 21 days trip, I used in USA, my daughter's extra SIM GSM postpaid and mailed the SIM back(Incoming/Outgoing both chargeble @ 10 cents, Sat & Sunday free). AT & T's 'GoPhone' for prepaid GSM SIM is suppose to be readily available to buy locally & economical too.

Dubai local service provider - Etisalat's Washal SIM is having best coverage but 1 year validity, get SIM thru a local friend & top-up as you use.

One other advantage of getting you mobile here is that you tell those who strictly need to know your 'foreign' number.

Any options other than Matrix?

I have found reliance Postpaid cheap on international roaming to US if someone is going for small business trips

Reliance Passport World Sim is also a good option where its pre paid and you can keep a watch over your balance.

A friend of mine has had a bad experience in Matrix where he got a huge bill for usage ....

Matrix take possession of your credit card for security purpose where as in Reliance Passport no such security & best part the card is yours for life time so every time u travel ur no. remains the same unlike in Matrix u get new no everytime.

I think reliance is better over Matrix...

There are other options like,

a) Clay Telecom (http://www.clay.co.in/)

(email ids, cs1.bangalore@clay.co.in and davender@clay.co.in)

Phone Number : +91 9980291742

B) Hopsim, Indmobile Ventures Limited (http://intouchsmartcards.com/Hop_SIM_Card.htm)

(email ids, sonal.sawant@hopsim.com and yashi.goel@hopsim.com)

Phone Number : +91 7208062224

I had contacted them at the last moment during my trip in December 2010, and they had replied to me after my trip got over. And hence I have their email ids and contact number. I havent really read reviews about these SIMs nor have used their service, so I am not aware. But I am sure someone must have used it and they can put up a review.

i also use matrix and cdma roaming rates have some down for the US from rs. 1/sec [rs 60 / min] to about rs 25/min outgoing and 20/min incoming [incoming sms are now free]

Matrix take possession of your credit card for security purpose where as in Reliance Passport no such security & best part the card is yours for life time so every time u travel ur no. remains the same unlike in Matrix u get new no everytime.

They cannot take over your card. They just take authorisation for Rs.5000, but billed me only 550. Never asked for the card except to swipe for the authorisation.

If anyone is travelling to Hongkong,I have sim of PCCW its balance is zero but same can be recharged their,I used it only for receiving incoming calls and I do not know what was call charges from Hong Kong to India

It has validity of 180days.If anyone travelling their,I can courier the sim and you will have number in advance.

ANy updates / suggestion on SIM card for travel in US - one month duration only calls no data needed

mostly calls will be incoming

Nargis+Fakhri.+%25281%2529.jpg

Kindly suggest International SIM Card for Hong Kong, Macau and Shenzhen mostly for 3G data and local calling.

Edited by amit.shah

@Genius - I think Matrix will be best. I used them recently for Europe. No upfront charges. Gave them credit card copy. Got bill of fixed charge of about 500/- which includes about 200 minutes of incoming free in Europe/UK. Had to make some emergency calls to India. Total bill was about 1000/- They must have some similar scheme for US.

Also why don't you use your smartphone with wifi and skype. I did this also as in Europe especially France, wifi was free. So I just charged my skype credit with 10 Euro (700/-) and made calls via wifi to landlines and mobiles in India at very very economical rates. Even after speaking for about 2 hours (total) I still have 3.5 Euro left in my account.

• Like 3

For pay per calls, GTalk/GVoice is having better rate of 2c/min! May be skype is good for subscription based plans.

other option you can explore is CLAY telecom (http://goo.gl/3RTw8)

Have used their international sim card for Europe travel & it was far cheaper than Matrix, but then our company has some agreement with clay (so that could be the reason). However, you can call up them & ask for details in order to compare..

@Amit, The local operators are prohibitive in China, I used Matrix along with TRIBAIR for Android (Wi Fi Calling) It was the best since All hotels gave free WiFi except the Venetian, I ended up spending 12 USD overall in four days with many people in my group using my phone for calling home, Matrix cost me 700 Overall.

• Like 1

Thanks @Rohit for your kind suggestions.

Even I have booked Venetian. So there I won't get Free Wifi :(

ANy updates / suggestion on SIM card for travel in US - one month duration only calls no data needed

Can also try local US MVNO SIM Cards. They actually run on america's top networks like TMobile. Many come with different options like Unlimited Talk, Unlimited International SMS, 4G Data too. There are pay as you go options also.
Their International Call rates to india is $0.01
  • Like 3

travelling to new zealand for 15 days any advice on which network sim card to be chosen for india calling

Guess buying a local SIM there is the best option.

One can also get some GSM to Skype gateways like this and forward calls in Indian number to his US number or some Skype accounts - http://www.ebay.in/itm/271191107764?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I have used Uniconnect for 18 days while I was in Europe last year. The service was very good, the cost very low. I used it only for incoming calls and for outgoing I used Matrix and when I got the bill, my wallet burst - around 25k. Since Matrix had already taken my credit card authorisation, there was nothing else to be done. Uniconnect was a prepaid one with full incoming free across Europe and UK. Matrix had incoming free only in UK, whereas Europe incoming was chargeable.

This year again I used Uniconnect and Clay when I went to Malaysia and Singapore. The same story repeated - Uniconnect this time was postpaid with full incoming free across Malaysia and Singapore, the bill was a super measly Rs 20 only.... Yes, you read it right - only twenty rupees and that too for calling my Clay number once in Singapore. Clay was a super disaster like Matrix - they charged me rental plus access fees for free 30 minute per day calling to India (then how they call it free) and the total bills were for around Rs 10k. I contested the rentals and access fees and they waived the rentals for about 2k and I eventually paid up Rs 8k in all.

These are my experiences. For me, Uniconnect was very good with superb services. No call drops anywhere. Only thing they did not provide was GPRS/3G facility which they claimed will cost a bomb and hence they refrained from providing.

My sister used Matrix when she travelled to US for 20+ days, again pretty same disaster story - she was charged ard Rs 22k. She did not contest and she paid up, swearing never ever to touch Matrix again. She went this month to Thailand and she bought a local SIM there.

Travellers/readers here may just read the above for guidance and information. They are free to take any provider. What may be food for me may be poison for someone else. Matrix and Clay may have been very bad for me, but for others, it may have been very good. Similarly Uniconnect also.

BTW, the website address for Uniconnect is Uniconnect.in.

• Like 4

Friends thanks for your suggestions

i mailed to 4 providers,

Matrix: just got auto respond with link and address in airport

Clay - didn't bother to mail back

Reliance passport: got mail + call with their offerings - plus a call followup 2wice

Hire a Sim (http://hireasim.com/world-sim.php) - got 2 calls plus a email response immediately, call on next day to help me decide, also 2 calls later.

Reliance and HireaSIM had exactly same offerings - incoming free and outgoing to local US or India 0.9 c / min

I went with HireaSIM because they have tieup with AT&T and T-Mobile both where as Reliance has only with T-MObile

i dont need data or SMS so made no inquiry on that

I_never_wanted_5088.jpg

Need One more Suggestion:

i need a Quad band phone in a low budget - calls only - it will go with this card

my father is good in loosing a phone so dont want any fancy stuff. Thanks

• Like 1