Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums

I applied for the Wimax connection last week. Today BSNL guys came home and checked the Wimax signal strength. They gave me the Indoor CPE as its getting good signal. CINR value is 22dB. When they run a speedtest.net, downlink was 1.32mbps and uplink 0.54mbps. My Username and password will be given tomorrow,hopefully. Now waiting fingers crossed. Glad to be a member of Wimax family.

Lol, one funny thing happened today. Those guys came with their laptop for checking the signal in my area. And they don't know how to disable the "Work Offline" mode in IE. The guy who checked tried their best to get the modem config page (192.168.1.1). But its not working. He was in panic. I can see the "Working Offline" message on top of the browser. I said I will do it. But he didn't allow me. He then tried unplugging the CPE from power socket and plugging it again,moving the CPE near to window, adjusting the antenna, rebooting his laptop ( :rofl_200: ) and all. He wasted around 15-20 mins on this and gave up. He then called the BSNL technicians and mentioned the problem. When he was holding the call, I decided to put an end to the fun and disabled the offline mode without asking him, typed in the modem config page and finally it comes up. :Chulo: He was happy too. Before leaving home, he asked me what I did to solve the problem and I told him the same. ;)

:rofl_200: Yeah, some of them forget the basics!

I applied for the Wimax connection last week. Today BSNL guys came home and checked the Wimax signal strength. They gave me the Indoor CPE as its getting good signal. CINR value is 22dB. When they run a speedtest.net, downlink was 1.32mbps and uplink 0.54mbps. My Username and password will be given tomorrow,hopefully. Now waiting fingers crossed. Glad to be a member of Wimax family.

Lol, one funny thing happened today. Those guys came with their laptop for checking the signal in my area. And they don't know how to disable the "Work Offline" mode in IE. The guy who checked tried their best to get the modem config page (192.168.1.1). But its not working. He was in panic. I can see the "Working Offline" message on top of the browser. I said I will do it. But he didn't allow me. He then tried unplugging the CPE from power socket and plugging it again,moving the CPE near to window, adjusting the antenna, rebooting his laptop ( :rofl_200: ) and all. He wasted around 15-20 mins on this and gave up. He then called the BSNL technicians and mentioned the problem. When he was holding the call, I decided to put an end to the fun and disabled the offline mode without asking him, typed in the modem config page and finally it comes up. :Chulo: He was happy too. Before leaving home, he asked me what I did to solve the problem and I told him the same. ;)

Cool. So welcome to Wimax Family.. Hope u would hv received ur login credentials by now.

Is there a website or something to check our total data usage for a month? The modem page shows only data transfer for each session. I think softwares cannot be used to monitor the correct data usage as I have 2 more active internet connections. Please help..

Is there a website or something to check our total data usage for a month? The modem page shows only data transfer for each session. I think softwares cannot be used to monitor the correct data usage as I have 2 more active internet connections. Please help..

There's no website to check the total usage of Wimax. You can use some freeware like networx or some tool to to check the usage.

• Like 1

Its been a month since I took the Wimax connection. So far only good experience with them. I posted some speedtest reports earlier, but it was not published upon moderation..So here's some speed reports:

Speedtest.net Report

speedtest1.png

Speedtest Mini

amazingspeed.png

HTTP download (230-300KBps average)

download3.png

Torrent Speeds (245KBps average)

wimaxtor.png

Now when will I get my first bill? They said bill will be generated on 12th May. Is it correct? And one more doubt, Is it unlimited itself? my plan name on application was 750 plan. With over 2mbps speeds, unlimited with no FUP - I still can't believe it for 750rs..

Edited by riya

@riya thanks for the review ..... I heard BSNL WIMAX is awesome, now get proof!

But sad part is at my area BSNL does not offer WiMAX or EVDO! :NOTriste:

Will they introduce prepaid plans for people who buy modem? I would like to buy bsnl wimax connection if they introduce prepaid plans. If they introduce prepaid connection then we can activate bsnl wimax when we need huge bandwidth and use cheap services like gprs when we need only less bandwidth.

I have taken BSNL Wimax at Kakkanad, Cochin since yesterday. I got the HOWI 750 plan, 512 Kbps Unlimited = modem rental. Had to pay 3250 (2500 modem advance and one month rent advance). Got the connection in 2 days time. I had to use the outdoor CPE as my house is towards the lower portion of the valley. I have a CINR of 28db or more always. My download speed is always around 1.10 to 1.80 Mbps. I will post the speedtest.net result tonight.

I am currently using my Asus Eee PC netbook for the connection, would thid slow the internet in any way? I doubt this, but need to be sure.

:previous: That should cause a difference in the internet speed.

:previous: That should cause a difference in the internet speed.

Thanks Arun. I will try to use my other laptop and see if there is any significant difference.

I have taken BSNL Wimax at Kakkanad, Cochin since yesterday. I got the HOWI 750 plan, 512 Kbps Unlimited = modem rental. Had to pay 3250 (2500 modem advance and one month rent advance). Got the connection in 2 days time. I had to use the outdoor CPE as my house is towards the lower portion of the valley. I have a CINR of 28db or more always. My download speed is always around 1.10 to 1.80 Mbps. I will post the speedtest.net result tonight.

I am currently using my Asus Eee PC netbook for the connection, would thid slow the internet in any way? I doubt this, but need to be sure.

Welcome to BSNL WiMax Family...

Ppl waiting for low tariff pre-paid wimax will be waiting only :-)

@Narrow_Band_Minus

I am currently using bsnl mobile prepaid gprs. Unlike other service providers bsnl don't activate unwanted services. But still I don't like postpaid services as we can't check for tariff every day. We may end up paying huge bill. But for prepaid services we loss only the amount we had in our account. I don't need high bandwidth every month. So if they introduce cheap prepaid tariff I can subscribe to their wimax only when I need high bandwidth. Else can continue with my gprs. What is the problem in waiting as I can manage with my current bandwidth.

Hi,i'm planning to apply for bsnl wimax.I have visited their office yesterday, and the officer said there are some software problem(Signal BUG, as they said) with the particular area- Chelari(malappuram).

I need your suggestion about this problem,and i need to know whether there are anyone else facing the same problem, and is it worth to take 750 unlimited plan.

I badly need a broadband conn. as my current wired Broadband conn is broken, and will take up to 4 months to fix it.

Pls reply fast...

check out this thing: open bsnl.in and under services, WiMAX > CSCs with WIMAX/DSLAM

wimaxmaps.bsnl.in

i checked it yesterday, now it is now opening :(

the site offers wimax bts on maps. it is/was good for check out wimax coverage.

http://www.domain-b.com/companies/companies_b/Bharat_Sanchaar_Nigam/20111017_broadband_licence_oneView.html

Loss-making BSNL wants to surrender broadband licence in 17 circles news

17 October 2011

State-owned, loss-making telecom major, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) plans to surrender its broadband wireless access (BWA) spectrum in 17 circles, after realising that it has been saddled with outdated technology.

BSNL paid about Rs8,500 crore in 2010 for acquiring the licence for BWA in 22 circles, but was offered 2.4 gigahertz, a low-quality band, which does not even go well with its WiMax services. BSNL is the only Indian telecom operator that opted for WiMax, which was rolled out about 10 years ago globally, but has been overtaken by long term evolution (LTE), or 4G, technology.

The state-owned behemoth is paying a high price for having acquired licences for an outdated system. In fiscal 2010-11, its losses mounted to Rs6,000 crore (as against a loss of Rs1,823 crore in 2009-10).

Its profits have been declining sharply since they peaked at Rs10,000 crore in 2005-06.

While BSNL has sought a refund from the government by offering to surrender the BWA licences for 17 circles, analysts expect the government to turn down the proposal.

The state-owned telecom operator, which provides landline and mobile services across the country – except in the Mumbai and Delhi circles – is heavily over-staffed.

It has a workforce of 280,000 employees and is keen on retiring nearly 100,000 by offering them a voluntary retirement scheme. Employee wages eat up almost half its revenues.

Private telecom operators opted for the more efficient 2.3 gigahertz band for BWA spectrum when they bid for the licences last year. Most of these companies are now preparing to roll out 4G broadband services from next year.

Sam Pitroda, an adviser to the prime minister on telecom and related issues, had suggested that BSNL should slash its workforce by a third. The government is also studying the possibility of merging its telecom units – including BSNL, MTNL (which provides services in Delhi and Mumbai) and ITI Ltd – into one entity.

The landline subscription base in India is declining sharply in India, as most of the new subscribers prefer mobile telephony.

Both BSNL and MTNL have a stranglehold over landline phones, with an over 82-per cent share of the market.

BSNL, however is still keen on boosting its landline business and wants to invest nearly Rs1,000 crore in reviving it.

^^^^^^^

Even if BSNL was given 700MHz spectrum for BWA, it can't do anything useful to subscribers... BSNL is having 900MHz spectrum for GSM--2G services and has more number of towers than any other operator in India, but still it has in-building coverage problems.. My office is just 200m from BSNL tower, but has in-building coverage problems... Aircel which has its 3G tower 1KM away from my office has good coverage... Now what can we say???

Further EV-DO is available in my town for years, but even my home-terrace (third floor of my home) doesn't have EV-DO coverage... So if BSNL can't effectively make use of 850MHz, then its NOT fault of spectrum...

Bud!

I m from Trichy, Tamilnadu. I got Wimax from BSNL and got a knowledge to acquire a good internet coverage from Base Station. I have three questions

1. What is reliable readings of CPE i mean RSSI, CINR, TxPwr and etc., to get a fastest internet against my Tariff and without disconnect.

(If you have best internet please give me your Screen shot of CPE status page and SpeedTest as well)

2. i have got number problem

i. Frequently Disconnection ( Due to CINR, TXPwr, RSSI)

ii. Doesnt acquire the IP in Device Status though Operational Status in Wimax Status

3. I got a bill for last month. But i dont have any phone number for my WiMax Connection. Without phone i unable to add my account in payment portal. Anybody show me your old bill through .pdf. And give me a guideline to pay my bill online.

4. Still the Usage portal is under Construction.

Please share here your opinion and your experience with BSNL WiMax. Thank you very much for approval my post here and for reader's Golden time as well

All,

Visiting this forum after a long time !!

Due to some personal reason I myself shifted my Wimax connection from Panampillynagar (Ernakulam,Kerala) to Perumbavoor (Ernakulam,Kerala) Telephone exchange area. I was sure that Wimax is operational in Perumbvaoor. With simply placing the outdoor CPE in terrace , it was not catching any signals. Then I fixed the CPE to the TV antenna pipe. Voila !!!! its started picking singnals with RSSI -85 dBm & CINR 10-13 dB with a BSID : 00:02:73:84:6f:BE. Yeah.. with this merely ok ok values of RSSI and CINR , I was getting about 1 Mbps torrent download speed.

Things went wrong from Nov 13th :-( I was not getting connected to the above BSID. Instead its trying to catch up some weak signals ( RSSI -100 dBm & CINR 0-3 dB ) from BSID's 00:02:73:84:2F:93 , 00:02:73:84:2F:7E & 00:02:73:84:2F:68. Since signal was too weak I was not getting authenticated and connected to internet.

Tried to rotate the CPE, but no luck. I had one JTO's phone number ( who came for feasibility study ). Called him and told the issue. He inturn given contac tnumber of a JTO who sits in Ernakulam central Wimax Switch room. From switch room , I came to know that the BSID 00:02:73:84:6f:BE , which I formerly connected was of Kalady exchange's second sector is down due to some issue :-(.

The JTO told that , this issue may take some time to fix. So waiting for the fix from BSNL's side. Let's see how things going.. :-)

Just got a call from the concerned JTO. She told that the Alarm on the sector has cleared now. I am yet to connect and see. ( In office now :-) )

Just got a call from the concerned JTO. She told that the Alarm on the sector has cleared now. I am yet to connect and see. ( In office now :-) )

Negative. I am not able to connect :-(