Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
mujeebrehman

Review: Motorola Photon 4G

Any one with MoPho wondering to get the accurate battery stats (FYI to those who are unaware of this photon like some other phones show battery percentage in the levels of 10, 20, 30.. that too using third party apps).

I am using 2X Battery this app will show the accurate battery stats in % (This info was imparted by veteran KumaarShah all credit goes to him.) You can get the lite version free from the market and will suffice basic needs. :SI:

Hey thanks, mujeebrahman for crediting me here. I am not a techie. This info was provided to me by my cousin who had a SGS2 (GSM) and who was using it. He also told me that using 2x increases battery life and thats why it is named 2x. Initially it worked well for me - that is the battery indeed lasted longer. Currently I am not using 2x temporarily. No particular reason - just like that. And in any case, most of the functions in 2x were already there in ZDBox which you recommended.

BTW, did anyone get the USSD problem solved? Is it endemic to only Motorola world mobiles? or to even HTC Dinc2 etc? I sorely miss the convenience of USSD in my prepaid. I have to call CC for any and everything and to explain them everytime why I cannot do it is a big pain.

I have still not rooted my mobile as I do not have the time nor the patience. I am ordering one more Photon 4G for my cousin this week with Hetalbhai.

BTW, dd you get the EVDO issue sorted out?

Edited by KumaarShah

Kumaar sir the ussd problem is found in some world phones but not all. Dinc 2 does not have this issue as I am posting this reply from Dinc 2 itself. I too use Airtel prepaid on mopho but the problem is as per cc the 3g balance can only be checked through ussd no and and not through call. And after the quota it is rs. 10 per mb. I have lost around rs. 100 in balance after the quota got over. Now I am using the same sim on Dinc 2 and it gives me ussd with data balance after I disconnect the data.

Ussd problem is not solved so I bought an idea corporate plan post paid sim for mopho. My evdo is not yet solved but Delhi dur nahi hai as hetal bhai is looking in to it.

Finally let me know when would you be free this weekend so that I will call you and root your phone. It will take max 5 mins apart fromthe normal chit chat we do LOL.

Kumaar sir, USSD is the main issue in Sprint world-edition phones... I have read in some (USSD Dialer) app review that if the operator (both GSM and CDMA -- In India MTS supports USSD in CDMA afaik) supports USSD, the dialer will work and it said it will work for BigRED and NOT for Sprint.. Earlier in my earlier VerizonBB 8830WE, USSD works beautifully in GSM mode (after calls, bal check, etc) and heard Sprint WE BB won't allow USSD... So I think the issue is more in Sprint than in Moto, imho... Further our Rehman ji's post above proves the same...

Thats the main issue right now in Photon... But luckily my BSNL prepaid number shows last 5 call details + balance and data-balance by SMS...

Further reg rooting, I have tried one simplest method (the same script method automated by batch file in command prompt -- almost like a one-click method -- thanks to XDA) in my friend's Photon... If forum-friends want, I am ready to post it here in Moto sub-forum on Sunday/Monday as I am busy for 2 days...

Do Post it please. <br /><br />Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk<br /><br />

@mujeeb,

I will call you tomorrow after 4pm, if its convenient to you. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Edited by KumaarShah

Ya... I am posting the on-click root method today night... Got the req s/w and will give step by step infos...

Guys have you ever wondered that our mopho takes a while to boot up. I mean ppl with photon will understand exactly what I mean as our phone takes around 2 mins to boot up :ranting: with all the animation including the sprint NOW network screen, and additional 30 to 45 sec (user dependent) to load other programs.

Now HTC phones like Droid Incredible, Incredible 2 and for the matter of fact even Evo 4G has an option called fast boot which if enabled will skip all the useless fireworks and gets straight to the point I mean it takes around 15 secs to boot up with that option.

I understand that we do not have that option under mopho but come on guys at least we can find some work around here. With all my search all i found was how to change the boot animation :doh: So if anyone has any idea please shed some light on this matter that would be highly appreciated.

OT :- Which searching for the above mentioned problem I cam across a video which shows an EVO 4G with ported motoblur and this ROM is called EVOLUR :Sorprendido: The link for the video is

One more Photon user here .... Rooted it with one click method .... V.simple ... I never had idea that it is so simple...

USSD is a very big problem .... As soon as someone finds answer to this prob please let us know .. Does anyone have idea to check data balance except USSD in TATA Docomo.

As usual bootloader is locked .. Anybody having experience of unlocking the bootloader and loading a custom ROM ?

Guys have you ever wondered that our mopho takes a while to boot up. I mean ppl with photon will understand exactly what I mean as our phone takes around 2 mins to boot up :ranting: with all the animation including the sprint NOW network screen, and additional 30 to 45 sec (user dependent) to load other programs.

Now HTC phones like Droid Incredible, Incredible 2 and for the matter of fact even Evo 4G has an option called fast boot which if enabled will skip all the useless fireworks and gets straight to the point I mean it takes around 15 secs to boot up with that option.

I understand that we do not have that option under mopho but come on guys at least we can find some work around here. With all my search all i found was how to change the boot animation :doh: So if anyone has any idea please shed some light on this matter that would be highly appreciated.

OT :- Which searching for the above mentioned problem I cam across a video which shows an EVO 4G with ported motoblur and this ROM is called EVOLUR :Sorprendido: The link for the video is

check this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1265816 - might be the solution for faster boot

check this link http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1265816 - might be the solution for faster boot

Ananth chetaa thanks for the info but I have already been to that thread by our Farookh the guy who was the first to get photon and review it here. But mate you missed my point I am not complaining about the activation attempt by sprint as I have already frozen that app through titanium backup pro.

What I wanted to skip is the screen that comes right after the Motorola logo which says welcome to now network from sprint :wOOtjumpy:

Motorola seeking Photon 4G owners to test pre-release software.

Own a Sprint Photon 4G? You may want to hit up Motorola's official forums, as the company is seeking 1,000 Photon owners to help test and give feedback on some pre-release software before Moto unleashes it upon the general public. If that sounds like something you may be interested in, you must first become a member of the Motorola Owners' Forums and then fill out a registration form for the Motorola Feedback Network.

As for what kind of software you'll be testing, well, that much is still a mystery, as Motorola doesn't like to reveal what kinds of goodies these pre-release updates contain. We've seen them come in a variety of sizes in the past, so (almost) anything is a possibility. We'll let you know more as we get it. If you've got a Photon and would rather not wait to find out, though, hurry on over to Motorola's site and get to registering.

Source

It would be great for Motorola PHOTON users if this update had to do with Ice Cream Sandwich but that seems unlikely at this point in time.

May be few sw (qik in Atrix1) , webtop improvements and 1080p video recording like in Atrix2 and further minimize the difference b/w MoPho and Atrix2 (that is except Pentile of MoPho)... And definitely NOT ICS or atleast for now, imho...

Im a Motorola Owner Forum Tester / Member lets see if Motorola Throw some ROM to me or not

Great if health bhai gets involved surly I have my fingers crossed for the leaked preview of the update or who knows even ics update lol

@Hetalbhai,

Keep us posted on new developments especially if it is related too ICS

Great if health bhai gets involved surly I have my fingers crossed for the leaked preview of the update or who knows even ics update lol

One more addition to the legendary SWYPE typos? But he may actually love the title! :)

One more addition to the legendary SWYPE typos? But he may actually love the title! :)

Rajan bhai kya aapki gali kam khai hai maine typos ke liye jo ab hetal don se mar khilwana chate ho! Jab unhone notice nahi kiya to nard muni ka role mat karona sir. Aap ke daar se maine swift keyboard mai aapka aur hetal bhai ka naam feed kar diya hai. :)

Hi! Anybody getting sms delivery reports on gsm network? I don't know if its a bug our something, I just got a delivery report of an sms sent using gosms, m using lite settings and even gosms online service is not signed in. I never got a delivery report till now.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

@mujeeb

That was just for fun. I am always searching for deeper meanings in SWYPE typing.

SORRY if you found that offensive :(

@mujeeb

That was just for fun. I am always searching for deeper meanings in SWYPE typing.

SORRY if you found that offensive :(

Rajan bhai please I never felt offensive. Actually I enjoyed your comment I was just tying to pull your leg. On the contrary I am sorry if my reply seems repulsive.

The Water Drop Detection issue has solved thanks to xda. This fix will make your mopho respond properly to touches while playing games and users have also reported better swype experience after this fix. The link to the thread for this solution can be found here.

So basically what is Water Drop Detection issue.

The Water-Drop detection feature to prevent false touches on the Mopho and Atrix should've never been implemented in the first place. It disables the touch screen for 2 seconds if it detects input for more than about 10 seconds on the screen. Very noticeable when playing games in which the screen is to be pressed for more than a tap such as racing games for acceleration like racingmoto or games like GTAIII where you need to constantly be either walking/running or driving and have the on screen button(s) pressed for extended periods of time. The touch screen would become unresponsive after detecting this "touch" for more than about 10 seconds, thinking its a drop of water on the screen. Then takes a 3 seconds to reset before allowing screen input touches again.

I have tried this work around on my mopho. And indeed this works as I have tested this on the only game I play now Defender and yes it works flawlessly now previously it used to stop responding in between the game where you had to hold the touch and move the finger to fire. As I am not using swype at the moment can't comment on its improvement. Also I have gained multiple touch points previously my mopho only supported 2 touch points i.e you cannot use the more than two fingers on the touch area to register new touch input.

To test it out download phone tester from the market and under phone tester you have the option Multi-touch test using this option you will see that our mopho can only recognize two touch points at a time. However, after this fix i can now register 5 touch points. I guess it is not of great use for everyone but for people who play games on the phone this is phenomenal.

The method I followed to get this fix is

1. Download the attached .zip file

2. Using RootExplorer navigate to "system/etc/touchpad/22/touchpad.cfg"

3. Press the "Mount R/W" button and Back-up the touchpad.cfg file to a safe location either on your SDcard or SDcar-ext.

4. Unzip the Downloaded attachment and inside copy the touchpad.cfg file in "Raindrop_Fix/system/etc/touchpad/22/touchpad.cfg"

5. Navigate to "system/etc/touchpad/22/" and make sure to press "Mount R/W", paste/replace the touchpad.cfg file in the "22" folder.

6. Reboot your MoPho.

I have tried this work around on my mopho. And indeed this works as I have tested this on the only game I play now Defender and yes it works flawlessly now previously it used to stop responding in between the game where you had to hold the touch and move the finger to fire. As I am not using swype at the moment can't comment on its improvement. Also I have gained multiple touch points previously my mopho only supported 2 touch points i.e you cannot use the more than two fingers on the touch area to register new touch input.

To test it out download phone tester from the market and under phone tester you have the option Multi-touch test using this option you will see that our mopho can only recognize two touch points at a time. However, after this fix i can now register 5 touch points. I guess it is not of great use for everyone but for people who play games on the phone this is phenomenal.

The method I followed to get this fix is

2. Using RootExplorer navigate to "system/etc/touchpad/22/touchpad.cfg"

3. Press the "Mount R/W" button and Back-up the touchpad.cfg file to a safe location either on your SDcard or SDcar-ext.

4. Unzip the Downloaded attachment and inside copy the touchpad.cfg file in "Raindrop_Fix/system/etc/touchpad/22/touchpad.cfg"

5. Navigate to "system/etc/touchpad/22/" and make sure to press "Mount R/W", paste/replace the touchpad.cfg file in the "22" folder.

6. Reboot your MoPho.

thankfully root explorer is not the only method. sorry i think root is necessary for such changes.

in the same post of xda linked above you will find

Flash Instructions :

2. Place .zip on the root of your SDcard

3. Boot into CWM recovery

4. Perform a Back-up (This hasnt been verified yet on all Photon Roms so better safe than sorry)

5. Choose Install .zip from SDcard

6. Navigate to where you place the zip (either in Internal-SD or SD-ext)

7. Flash the Raindrop_Fix.zip

8. Reboot

Edited by ::: VA :::

thankfully root explorer is not the only method. sorry i think root is necessary for such changes.

in the same post of xda linked above you will find

Varun you are absolutely right you will need root access to make this mod if you follow the first method. Btw i knew the 2nd option to flash the update file however I prefer the old fashioned way to do it manually.

As it is a matter of personal preference one can refer the link and choose what suits him best. However, I bet you will feel the difference in games like asphalt right the moment you make this mod!.

Hello All ,

I'm also soon gonna be a pround mopho owner (just ordered it). So I thought I should collect some insight from the current users of such an incredible marvel. I am currently using Epic 4g and I truly think it is awesome phone with some minor network issues. But above all , its a generation old phone , now that dual-core phones are in limelight. I am basically purchasing this phone so that I could have flexiblity to use GSM network instead of RCDMA as I have quite frequent network issues at my home on it.

I have couple of q's about it :

1. How is the call quality and network reception for RCDMA ie CDMA radio as well as GSM mode. Have anyone compared RCDMA network quality on some other phone (say samsung epic) with this ?

2. Has anyone tried overclocking the phone to 1.3 or 1.4 ghz using any overclocking kernel yet. If yes, hows their experiences ?

3. How is the speaker/headphone quality of the phone. As per my understanding you don't have headset in the box , so need to rely on third party one. Which one will you suggest to use in this case ?

4. Also i wanted to know if we have HDMI cable in the box or not ? if not, what is the approximate cost of mini HDMI - HDMI cable in market ?

Thanks

Dev

I will put up my review on the handset in brief once I get my hands on it.