Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
mujeebrehman

Review: Motorola Photon 4G

Dev afaik the most stable rom as of now would be [KANG][ROM] CM7.2 by Photon Dev team 2-10-2012 or you can go for the once you requested Joker roms. I would rather suggest you go through this and take your pick.

To be frank I am not in to the rom thingy coz I do not have time to troubleshoot the problems due to custom roms. I know there are advantages of having them rather than the stock for example the lag you see during the home screen transition is utter crap it is not the hardware but the blur to be blamed for. Not that I dig for blur but again that's me!

Veterans like kshah can guide you better in this department!

PLEASE NOTE - There is a rom on xda which is solely for electrify. Please do not flash it it will s&*^# your mohpo. Read carefully before you flash something!

In moto photon, my preference is for stock rom due to inherent restrictions of motorola.

For any HTC device certainly custom ROM works better. I also believe that stock rom has certain imposed speed restrictions for stability. This does not mean that they are bug free.

BLUR is very deep down in rom so stripping stock rom means bringing instability. Same applies to SENSE of HTC.

So time waster like me :-) , should keep on trying new rom, but people who has more productive work to do should remain with stock, IMO.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

@kshah or @mujeebrehman Can one of you please post a link to your dropbox if you have skinny4g and skinnyrev1 roms ? I'd like to use both CDMA and GSM mode so CM7 or CM9 is not an option for me :-)

Thanks in advance

Dev I do not have these roms on my pc as of now so can't upload them on dropbox, maybe kshah may have them. The link I gave you earlier has two two torrent files through which you can download these roms. i also understand that all direct links are down.

Conference works in photon, i just trued it last evening and it was working all right.

Sent from my MB855

:previous:

Can you please shed some light on it. I am unable to do the conference in cdma or gsm using the stock setup.

It simple. you shud hav an on-going call and on ur screen u can see add call button (refer the image link below). just click it add another call. Once you are connected to second call u will be able to see merge icon in place of add call. on clicking ti you can start conf call. following same process of add and merge you can easily create conf call. I'm providing a link where i had called on 4 numbers and created a conf call at same time.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6-ko5w3S79GU01jWDhhTmVRb09FWUliclJwOGhNZw

Hope this will help....PM me if you need more help. i can provide step by step if this doesnt work.

• Like 2

Yes Conference does work ... tried in gsm mode only till now .. stock ROM .. 198_6 ... Add call button after picked up by other side .. press merge calls and thats it ..

Question is cdma?

On gsm not any issue

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

It simple. you shud hav an on-going call and on ur screen u can see add call button (refer the image link below). just click it add another call. Once you are connected to second call u will be able to see merge icon in place of add call. on clicking ti you can start conf call. following same process of add and merge you can easily create conf call. I'm providing a link where i had called on 4 numbers and created a conf call at same time.

https://docs.google....FWUliclJwOGhNZw

Hope this will help....PM me if you need more help. i can provide step by step if this doesn't work.

Thanks kundalus +1 for your efforts to explain it. But mate I already know these steps as this a standard procedure. However it did help me as when I tried it again it on gsm gave me a error like call cannot be conferenced or something like that. Now as I am on stock setup sbf 198_7 so i tired calling Idea cc about call conferencing issue now the ****ty part is that they said that my corporate idea number does not have call conferencing facility by default. :ranting: And they were asking me R.s 50 per month for this service. So the culprit was the service provider and not the phone itself. Time to terminate that gsm number as my only use was for 3G. :bash:

Yes Conference does work ... tried in gsm mode only till now .. stock ROM .. 198_6 ... Add call button after picked up by other side .. press merge calls and thats it ..

Mate thanks for explaining this however, I was previously too trying this however now I have figured out that my gsm number did not have cc facility by default and I had never anticipated that part. :doh:

I did a factory reset yesterday. surprisingly I'm facing less gsm connectivity issue but there is still some issue. In past few days I noticed that even when I go to a slightly interior location, network goes off while htc legend n nokia phones are still showing 3-4 network bars. Also the network doesn't connect on its own. I have to try airplane mode or search for network manually.

I doubt factory reset has got anything to do with the radio firmware. I also noticed that gsm does not connect on its own if the phone is in sleep mode even after changing prl to only gsm mode.

Will upgrading to latest sbf help?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

mujeebrehman You are a good guide for Motorola Photon,I will contact you for any help if needed .Thanks once again.

Iqbal bhai thank you for your kind words. Though I have upgraded to epic 4g touch I will surely try my level best to help you. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Mujeeb Rehman have you tried both GSM and CDMA, i dont think they are dual standby?????

And like you told the GSM signal is awesome and i am not loosing the signal or the call does not get disconnected in the weakest regions.

I am thankful for your info about this handset and to be true i took the handset by reading your topics.

Initially i thought let me take a chance , but when i started using it i am in the opinion that this is the best GSM handset available.

Thanking you Mujeeb Rehman once again

Edited by raysmanindi

^^^^^

Afaik, Photon esp the GSM part has problems with catching signals... From my usage wrt GSM signal strength, Photon < Optimus3D < Incredible2 < CaptivateGlide < BB8830...

Kanaga Deepan i have been using it from past 10 days , and i am really impressed about the quality.I had a HTC droid incredible 2 and a Samsung S2 , but this beats them.I have used it in a place where jammers are installed and it worked wonders.I dont know how but i am really happy with this phone.Maybe my handset is a FREAK :smiley-bounce022::pleasantry:

^^^^^

My Photon had excellent voice clarity EVEN on BSNL 2G network... But coverage is a issue always.. May be my Photon was bad or yours is UNIQUE... Enjoy then...

I can also vouch for what Iqbal bhai is saying. I have been using my mopho for GSM (using vodafone 3g) for last 15 days and I live within 1 km from pune airport. In my area cell reception is major issue due to jammers installed all over the place and also govt doesn't allow cell towers within certain kms to the airport for security reason. So I compared the signal strength of vodafone with two phones and found that photon signal reception and call quality is far superior than others. So @Kae if you are facing issues with GSM with ur mopho thats gotta be due to some issues with ur particular piece.

I am not certain if mopho is faster that galaxy s2 or other high end dual cores out there , but its quite snappy and I'm more than happy with its performance for day-2-day usage.

Edited by dev997

Kanaga Deepan,i have tried to get a simple solution for your Photon from one of my friend in U.S .He says always keep the phone in 3G mode(rather than wifi +3G mode) for normal use.If you want to download heavy date, then switch it to WIFI and after data is downloaded stop WIFI and put the data to again 3G mode, through this way the data network will be very strong. Again it is a suggestion , so please try and update.

^ ^ If your handset's network is set on “3G only” mode and in regions where 3G coverage is lacking or reception is poor, the battery will drain faster.

I have already sold my Photon 1.5 months back... Am now using CaptivateGlide... No USSD, pentile-display, coverage, good re-sale price ;p forced me to sell my Photon...

As Iqbal bhai, and Dev confirmed mopho is the best in network coverage and voice clarity period. As currently I am using epic 4g touch and when I checked the details about signal i was without network for 6% of total cell stand by time. Further, Iqbal bhai mopho is not dual stand by you can use only one network at a time but the switch hardly takes 3 seconds. Though mopho is very snappy there is some lag in the home screen transitions at times because of the sh^&&*^ blur software from motorola. but again I prefer to be on stock.

Actually people using custom roms can confirm that on other stable roms mopho performs better.

Thanking you once again Mujeeb for the info

My daughter is facing an issue in the Photon 4G that the Data does not work on Reliance GSM while roaming. There is some sort of roaming guard on domestic roaming which is not getting removed in settings. It is greyed out with no way to turn that roaming guard off. Please let me know some solution for this as she wants to change handset just because of this. The phone is stock.

Edited by dkaile

Sirji

Check gsm roaming data guard..same place.. at bottom

Domestic is same with me too.. greyed out

I am right now on roaming

Vaibhav

Sent from my Moto Photon 4g using Taptalk2