Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
HetalDP

Samsung Galaxy S3

I got a new Samsung Galaxy S3. Upon connecting to the internet, it shows an Android system update with size 81.5 MB. So based on your experiences I should not opt for this update? I do want to root the handset to install/use a few apps that require root.

Once again congrats Arun for your new S3. AFAIK this new ota does pop issues for EVDO on our handsets. Man just root this device using the qbkings's youtube link and try installing the update and it will fail as once you have root you will too have custom recovery.

IMO the current setup prior to the OTA is the best and you will not regret not updating your device to the latest OTA.

Once again congrats Arun for your new S3. AFAIK this new ota does pop issues for EVDO on our handsets. Man just root this device using the qbkings's youtube link and try installing the update and it will fail as once you have root you will too have custom recovery.

IMO the current setup prior to the OTA is the best and you will not regret not updating your device to the latest OTA.

i believe you gotta be stock for this update.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yes one has to be on Stock to get this ota. However even if you are on stock but rooted this ota will be download on your device but it will fail to update.

I use droidwall to allow access to apps that can use Internet and I have disabled the system app Samsung updater from Internet access so this ota doesn't download again.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Go ahead if you are not rooted and completely in stock. I recently hard reset my phone and updated.it's more than 20 days now. The problem arises only if you are rooted.you might lose EVDO, just flash the NV again and you are good to go.

:previous: Ah ok, will update the OTA then and do the root later. Yes, I do have the NV dump, A-key, etc. thanks to Parin.

Arun Bhai, one more thing, do a nandroid back up once you update and only then.root. This nandroid back will always help for OTA updates. Once everything is done, back up NV and NAM using cdma ws.

Done the OTA update to LI3 build and everything continues to work fine including EVDO. Going to do the CWM recovery, Nandroid backup and then the root.

• Like 1

I just got s3 from parin and got it activated. Got the OTA and i appled the update and lost evdo. now getting data speed of only 120kbps. used to get atleast 1mbps. From the previous threads here i think i just need to flash the nv dump file. Please correct me if im wrong and help me get my evdo up and running.

Yeah, try uploading the NV dump file again.

Do you know to use CDMA WS? If yes then get the dump file from Parin Bhai and reflash it

yes i have flashed nv dump file previously via cdma workshop in my s2 by following instructions by parin bhai. Have requested for the nv dump file to parin bhai. Will flash it as soon as i receive it and post the result here.

:previous:

Not sure if you were able to get the NV dump yet from Parin as he is on vacation this week. You may want to check the following:

Dial: ##3282#

Edit

Enter your SPC code

Others > HDR/1X selection

If it is selected with "CDMA Only Mode", try changing it to "Hybrid Mode"

I am on stock ROM and I notice a couple of issues in the phonebook when compared to that of other handsets like HTC EVO 4G LTE. As mobile numbers are stored in the format 09xxxxxxxxx, when the incoming call shows up as 00919xxxxxxxxx, S3 does not show up the name from the phone book. Calls from some operators do show up in this format. Prefixer app has an option for incoming calls, but that shows up as a small notification box and does not change in the main contact display during an incoming call. Has anyone seen this working fine on a custom ROM or a different dialer on S3?

Another issue that I have noticed is with the call history in phone book. Sometimes it shows the list of all calls for a number when you open the number from the "Logs", while sometimes (have to say more) it doesn't show any call history at all for a number. HTCs used to display the call history of a number accurately when you check in Call Log

Facing exactly exactly the same issues on s2 cdma. And so miss my hTc evo 3D :)

Tapatalking........

:previous: oh i c, even on custom ROMs?

No. Stock

Moreover prefixer app only seems to show contact for one second in a span of five to six seconds. Would have preferred if it displayed the name all the time while someone is calling.

Tapatalking........

:previous: Right, Prefixer app doesn't show it properly either.

:previous: Do you use custom ROM on S3?

No..I just rooted...Thinking to try some....need to read the forums and will update you which one is better

:previous:

Not sure if you were able to get the NV dump yet from Parin as he is on vacation this week. You may want to check the following:

Dial: ##3282#

Edit

Enter your SPC code

Others > HDR/1X selection

If it is selected with "CDMA Only Mode", try changing it to "Hybrid Mode"

Arun sir.....yes parin is on vacation......requested nikme for the nv fine and he was kind enough to provide it. still im not able to flash it coz i dont have the spc. 000000 is not working. Without spc i wont be able to change to hybrid mode also. tried getting it by installing terminal emulator and running the command getprop ril.MSL. it would be great if anyone here would guide me to get the spc from the phone.

SPC is on the cover box if you bought it from Parin

I bought it from parin but didnt get the box.

Dont worry...i will help you.

there are two ways.

1. Install get my MSL. Now run it, you will get error message saying Could not find getprop ril.MSL.

2. Now dial ##3282#. Click Edit.

3. Enter any wrong SPC. you will get error SPC message.

4. Go to Get My SPC and try it out. If you get it., be happy with it and enjoy ;-)

Now you got failed in step 1. Try this step 2 :

1. Go to XDA http://forum.<span s...d.php?t=1737859, download ODIN and Package. Extract both packages. the package file should be with extension MD5

2. Download and install drivers http://downloadcente...er_v1_4_6_0.exe

3. Once done. Do factory Reset your phone ( From setting - backup and restore - Factory reset).

4. Once done, power off your phone and go to download mode. ( power down, home button(middle button) and volume down button)

5. Now Dont connect the phone, Open the ODIN and connect the phone. Now it will show a COM value.

6. In ODIN make sure to check only F.Reset Time and Auto Reboot only.

7. Click PDA and select the MD5 package and click start.

8. Will happen for some time and once did, your phone will get restart.

9. Now your phone will be at the very base baseband version.

10. Try the steps for method 1.

11. TADA...you will get your SPC.

Enjoy... Ping me when you have any doubts.....harismahesh@gmail.com

Dont thank me...thank DJ ;-)

• Like 2