Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums

I have the old asianet broadband service. I use Linux( Ubuntu ) and I could not get connected to the net if I used either Google's DNS or Opendns. I had to use Asianet's dns.

So I was wondering how, with the 'log in' system that Asianet has, one can use a dns other than Asianet's. Could you please tell me?

Thanks.

:previous:

You can add a DNS entry with the IP address for the login page URL in your PC's host file. For e.g. my login page URL is at mwcp-tvm-01.adlkerala.com (check in your browser's address bar) and its IP (check by pinging it) is 10.128.0.31

So I would add the DNS entry as:

mwcp-tvm-01.adlkerala.com 10.128.0.31

(the IP will vary according to your login URL)

Also add a DNS entry for :

images.adlkerala.com 202.88.238.209

Now you can open the login page using the full URL with the port number, i.e.: https://mwcp-tvm-01.adlkerala.com:8001

• Like 1

This is so awesome ... our dumb chennai please wake up and do something like this ...

Sreejith as long as Air Hell and BSNL continue to operate such services and plans shall only be a dream Air Hell charges more for limited service and BSNL charges ok for poor service.I hope such services become a distant reality in Chennai too

Just wanted to update that the new plans are available now and Asianet is advertising about the DOCSIS 3 service on its local channels now.

After my modem was replaced I haven't seen any connection drops yet. Not sure it was fixed in the modem or in their line.

Good review.

I have some questions.

1) The cable modem price is 3500/-. Is there any minimum hire period for the service? What if I am not satisfied with the quality of the connection - and would like to disconnect it? If at all such a situation occurs, will Asianet refund the said amount (or at least a reasonable portion of it)?

2) If I take Dart 1999, will I have to pay just 1999 or 1999 + taxes?

I am not familiar with the policies of this particular ISP since I have not used it earlier. Hence, these queries popped up in my mind. BTW, how is the connection now? Are you facing the same set of issues?

Got in touch with some Asianet officials today.

They have increased the price of the cable modem to 3950/-. (they term this as the installation charge)

The modem will always be the property of Asianet.

If we decide to terminate the connection within six months, they will ask us to pay 750 + taxes. (they term this also as the installation charge)

Even after paying the hefty amount, we wont get the modem for ourselves (for future use with other similar ISPs)!

The Dart 1999 plan will require me to pay 1999/- and additional taxes.

BTW, how is the connection now? Are you facing the same set of issues?

Ever since the modem was changed, the connection has been very stable. I don't know if it was the modem or whether they did something in the line to fix the stability issues. I am now able to keep the modem switched on for days without any issue.

I have now taken a static IP for Rs.2000 and I don't have to login anymore and ICMP commands like ping, trace route, etc. are working now. I noticed a dip in speed after taking the static IP. Support fixed some routing issue and then the speed was back to normal.

Their billing system is horrible that when there are plan changes, etc. it may have wrong charges. My last bill had around Rs.6000 worth of wrong charges :o (combo offer not applied, modem cost charged again). They will fix the bill after you contact them though, so just have to go through the bill carefully when you receive it.

Someone asked me about Torrent download speed which Asianet throttles for the slower DOCSIS 2.0 connection. The throttling/traffic shaping for torrent downloads applies for the new DOCSIS 3 connection as well even on a static IP connection. So if torrent downloads are important for you then you may have to look at other providers unless you use a seedbox or VPN to bypass the restriction.

Well explained review by Arun :good:

Joined this community because of this topic. Sorry guys, I'm not a subscriber of RIM.

I have been subscribed for ADL for the last 5 years and contrary to the some of the statements stated above, I have felt and would still state ADL's customer service in my area is very much satisfactory. The person in change of ADL have patience and know what's what with ADL. But, despite some of their staff's best effort to provide better service to their subscribers ASCL still fail in the essential thing – “providing disruption free service”. I have learned from my experience that rather than listening to the per-scripted replies of customer support guys at their support center, it's better to deal with guys in their branch office. There would be someone who know how stuff works?

Even though they are the only DOCSIS v 2.0 enabled ISP in Kerala, their uplink bandwidth still don’t cross the 512 kbps border even for the SME data plans and even with static public IP. For Xpress 520 plans and below the upload data transfer rate just reaches 256 kbps. I'm struggling with attained upload data transfer rate of around 500 kbps with Xpress 1085 plan. Even if you are ready to spend more by customizing the Asianet Dataline broadband Internet service, they won't make you happy on up-link rate.

With respect to their home segment VoIP service, the service seems to be okay with free initial credit of Rs.50/-. However, their calling rates are not transparent at all. ASCL displayed rate is not what is getting deducted from your VoIP prepaid account. Upon enquiry with upper management, the reply I received was their intermediary service provider at different geographical locations other than India, hiked their service charge and the rates also fluctuated and they can't even update the calling rates published on their website, which is cheating customer's and require immediate legal action.

As informed by ADL about throttling of peer to peer traffic, I have been experiencing good download data transfer rate with static public IP using Bittorrent. I wonder how? ADL is providing free to use modem to annual payment subscribers and they have the option to avail the modem on lease for monthly payment schemes. However, modem warranty is strictly for one year on both the cases, which is odd.

Even with all this cons, Asianet Dataline cable Internet service have it's edge over ADSL providers by providing more data transfer speeds and extra data transfer for ADTV subscribers and to more far places.

If you guys are in need for symmetrical up-link and down-link bandwidth and are ready to spend more, you can avail BSNL GPON Internet service which will quench your quest for speed. But don't expect much in terms of customer support.

Finally they rolled out their upgraded DOCSIS 3.0 service. Good to hear from Arun that D3 plans are rocking. I still have to wait as the service is currently not available in my area. Let's hope with their new technical advancement the reliability of the service also increases.

Arun, How's your experience with Cisco DPC3825 modem's Wi-Fi range? Does they can be operated simultaneously in 2.4Ghz and 5.0 Ghz and how's the configuration options of the device? More over could you please share the MTU set by them?

How's the data transfer rate enabling VPN and any points to note while enabling personal or enterprise VPN access?

Thank you.

Hello Arun and others :)

Stumbled upon this page thanks to google. Just got myself into Asianet broadband and took up the dart 1470 plan. Been a VSNL/Tata Indicom user for more than 7 years and had enough of their service downtime and lack of response.

Anyways my query is a bit weird.

My desktop, laptops and even my tablets pick up the wifi and log-in flawlessly but neither my htc one nor my wife's lenovo gets logged on to this. It just goes on an "obtaining ip address" loop. Any help in this would be appreciated.

And thanks a ton for the detailed review. Was clueless about the option for static ip. that login procedure everytime is a pain :(

How to find out if the DNS is remote or Asianet?

Thanks for everything :)

Hi Ajith,

You can lease a static public IP from ASCL for INR 2000/- for plans Xpress 1085 and above to avoid manual login through Mettle Wire server. You can still access your account and usage details. The IP is mapped to your MAC of modem/router and assigned for 24 hours.

The DNS servers ADL assigns are

For Linux, you can make use of the dig command and in Windows nslookup to query the DNS records.

Yes after much chaos and confusion i manage to get a static ip from them. Still beats me why they want a network diagram which i drew in MS Paint :P Last few days went through hell with their customer support. Out of the 5mbps i was supposed to get, i was consistently getting just 1.9mbps down and 3.1mbps up on speedtest check! They just kept saying its all fine at our end and blah blah.

Finally got someone to come check. he came he checked called someone and it was back to normal. He said it was a server issue! Go figure :P

Arun, How's your experience with Cisco DPC3825 modem's Wi-Fi range? Does they can be operated simultaneously in 2.4Ghz and 5.0 Ghz and how's the configuration options of the device? More over could you please share the MTU set by them?

How's the data transfer rate enabling VPN and any points to note while enabling personal or enterprise VPN access?

WiFi range is less than the other Netgear and Cisco WiFi routers I have used for ADSL connections. So if you have a very big house then you might struggle. Only 2.4 GHz is available. There are a lot of configuration options in the modem settings page and allows you to control most things you would normally need. The MTU set in the configuration page is 1472.

The DNS servers ADL assigns are

Mine shows: 202.88.238.3 and 202.88.238.5

Yes after much chaos and confusion i manage to get a static ip from them. Still beats me why they want a network diagram which i drew in MS Paint :P Last few days went through hell with their customer support. Out of the 5mbps i was supposed to get, i was consistently getting just 1.9mbps down and 3.1mbps up on speedtest check! They just kept saying its all fine at our end and blah blah.

Finally got someone to come check. he came he checked called someone and it was back to normal. He said it was a server issue! Go figure :P

Lol, I made the diagram using MS Word :P The explanation they gave is that it is some requirement from the telecom regulator when a static IP is leased.

BTW speedtest.net has now added Trivandrum as a test server location and it is provided by Asianet :hi2:

3243875315.png

Yes even strange that gas connection bill was accepted by them as address proof for new connection but not for static ip. Strange :)

Posting my expirience with asianet DOCSIS3 broadband connection. First I applied over internet by sending an email as suggested by their advertisement. There was no response. So I called them over phone.The next day a guy came to inspect my residence. I stay in the Palarivattom area of Kochi where they have this facility.

The next day itself the cable was laid. Though I had asianet digital TV cable they said they will draw a separate cable for internet otherwise speed may be affected.

The modem was installed 3 days later . I opted for the combo plan Xtream 810 with monthly payment of Rs 810 + taxes which gives 12 Mbps speed and 12GB usage + 4GB usage extra as I am already aasianet Cable TV customer.( Combo-Plan).

To get the comboplan activated ( and get the extra usage) you should have both internet and TV connection in the same premises under the same name.

First I sent the reqiured email to asianet for activating combo plan. I got a reply saying I have dues in my cable TV account and hence this could not be activated. I had already paid 1 year advance for cable TV. It took a personal visit to the cable TV office of asianet to correct the descrepancy . The guys at the cable TV office were very helpful and corrected the mistake in the accounts ( I went with reciepts). then I called up asianet broadband and they said that the combo plan is already activated.

The whole process took 1 week .

I am migrating from BSNL broadband . The difference is that you should always have one computer logged in to the asianet broadband login page to remain connected . I am using an old laptop to remain continously logged in.

I am getting a speed of 7-10 Mbps . there is no modem issues or connection drops till now. I am using the connection for the last 3 days.

Maybe I will go in for a static IP later on to override the login issue.

Has anyone tried a few games on this? I'm planning to get the Xtream 1999 plan (20 mbps and 75+10GB data limit). I never expected to get such great speeds here.

Hey Aditya, I play Diablo 3 online with my dart 1470 connection. It is ok but then i lag out at times which could either be my wifi or asianet. It's ok i guess.

How are the game downloads? Getting the speed offered? And are you able to stream full HD without buffering?

Edited by Adityanair

Not sure what you mean by game downloads. But regular downloads are at 500-600KBps which is great for me. Though i keep wishing tata docomo broadband had feasibility in my area :( their plans are amazing.

Hello all... I am from Tvpm.. I am using Asianet Broadband dart 1999 plan... and Same modem.....DOCSIS 3. Till last month my connection was good and was getting good MS.. now... when checking it shows good... speedtest.net. Ms is good.. But from this month starting they made some changes and all went down for me.. MS is very important to me as I am a game tester. I was getting an ms for 90 to 150 till last month.. now it is more than 200 to infinity... 999 is last... I have given complaint and they tried lot of things.. but the problem is not getting solved.. I have Bsnl and Idea net setters.. when I am using those.. connection is perfect and i get at least under 150. As a result of this my job is under issues.. and MS is one big important thing for a game tester.. I am attaching the ping potter screenshot that I have done. Help will be highly appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

http://i.imgur.com/DC8cua5.png

http://i.imgur.com/SkvC16m.png

http://i.imgur.com/5U3ToMV.png

http://i.imgur.com/uTXfCWy.png

http://i.imgur.com/KRRUR65.png

http://i.imgur.com/SxYiVWQ.png

:previous:

Can you run an MTR test to these IPs and paste the result? If you are on Windows then get WinMTR here: http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/

Asianet has upgraded the top 2 plans to 50 mbps now. See the new plans here: http://asianetdataline.com/brdplus.aspx

I'm on the Xtream 2499 plan with 180 GB limit per month at Rs.2499 + tax:

3641762841.png

This was their announcement with Cisco after implementing DOSCSIS 3.0: http://newsroom.cisco.com/press-release-content?articleId=1402538

"to offer speeds of up to 50 Mbps per subscriber in the state, in the first phase, followed by 100 Mbps service in phase 2"

• Like 2