Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
shanusmarty

Using Android Phone As GPS Tracking Device Without Using Cellular Network OR Data

Hi everyone,

Kindly help,

I have an old android Phone(with inbuilt GPS) which I would like to turn to a GPS tracking device, however there is no internet connection or cell service(i may plan later) I tried some free apps but they all require internet connection to work.I would like to ask is there any GPS tracking/recording apps that will do the work? I can access to my android Phone everyday I just need to put the phone on the car, I am tracking.

Prefer live tracking, but saved locations can do.

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Hi, there are some offline maps available those you need to install in your device before using for example... "SYGIC" you don't need internet connection it uses the offline maps that we have to download before using... it simply connects your GPS and works on offline maps... but these applications do need a good configuration device for example if i remember properly... India map requires about 700 MB of space... and minimum GHz processor and 1 GB ram... try... all the best...

^^^ well, i am not looking for naviagtion, i m using sygic, i want a tracker software.

Afaik there is no such gps tracket but if gsm then there is a software which record cell site locations. Some

Check this

you can get offline Sygic & Gramin

both good app, also India map is available.

If you dont find it, PM me, can not post link here :winko:

EDIT :0

You can get location of your CAR, but it needs something to communicate with you.

It should be some kind of DATA transport.

either GSM 2g/3g, CDMA 1x/EV, Wifi, SMS etc.....

Edited by ::Hitesh::

you can get offline Sygic & Gramin

both good app, also India map is available.

If you dont find it, PM me, can not post link here :winko:

Hitesh ji, i m not looking for offline navigation! :) i need a tracker software please read OP carefully!

Afaik there is no such gps tracket but if gsm then there is a software which record cell site locations. Some

Check this http://www.rimweb.in/forums/index.php?/topic/33813-Must-Have-Android-Apps-For-Your-Smartphone---Part-II

Kshah ji, which post you referring to ? its a big thread! :P

Check the GPS Logger for Andorid. It is available on play store. I think it meets all your requirement. It can also send emails at regular interval using data. Data is used only if you opt for auto email otherwise all details will be stored localy.

But keep in mind, when you say live message, you need some sort of connectivity..

Try "GPS essentials".

There is an option of "Tracks" in main page. It simply tracks your co-ordinates with respect to time at the interval you specify.

Lateron, you can export kml file, which can be read directly on text editor or google earth etc.

It has multiple options like pause (which avoids long kml file), saving location etc. Have tried it few months back & it works like charm.

I just used it to measure, accuracy of travel path & check related charges by hired taxi.

Attached are two images.

PS : It doesn't need data connection or even network. Without network, accuracy of pin pointing may get affected, but I am not sure about that, with very little knowledge of GPS basics.

post-5509-0-33217300-1375168216_thumb.pn

post-5509-0-75293900-1375168275_thumb.pn

Edited by silent_god

@shanusmarty,

By tracking, I assume you mean realtime tracking. As Hitesh already expained in his edited post, the device will need some kind of data channel to send over the location info. You can tether this phone to your working phone for data connectivity.

If you are OK with offline tracking, then refer post #8 :)

• Like 1

Thanks a lot everyone, you are all superb :)

i will try GPS logger for now, special thanks to CSmart!

one thing more,which app is best, if i have a active data connection, and want to track it live and free too :P

I doubt you will get a live tracker for free but can try. The other option with GPS Logger is that you can get SMS/email every one minute. There is one more app but you have to pay monthly charges for using their server. App is free.

Real time GPS tracker

they charged about 12 Euros per year or so.

Thanks a lot everyone, you are all superb :)

i will try GPS logger for now, special thanks to CSmart!

one thing more,which app is best, if i have a active data connection, and want to track it live and free too :P

Appreciate if you can post your experience with this.

Well.. i tried to use.. i get a gps lock and then i put the phone in car.. untouched..

Then i see the log.. it just shows the location till i have it in hand.. after that no logs :(

I think gps lock breaks away!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4