Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
st_7

Apple Announces iPhone 5S & iPhone 5C

Finally, the curtain is taken(although we have already seen what's inside) on Iphone 5S & less pricy Iphone 5C. The launch of these phones, especially Iphone 5S is once again re-iterates the fact that Apple always a step ahead in introducing & implementing few new technologies(although not all) better than their competitors.

Iphone 5S Highlights:

post-75464-0-82697300-1378853563_thumb.j

post-75464-0-98477700-1378853668_thumb.j

1) World's First 64-bit SoC: Iphone 5S is the first & only 64-bit smartphone in this world as it contains the first 64-bit mobile SoC in the world, new & in-house developed chip A7. It takes care of all the processing requirements of this technical marvel. This SoC will deliver speeds twice as fast as predecessors both in terms of CPU computing & Graphics. The chipset contains 2x the general purpose & floating point registers than its predecessors and it packs twice the number of transistors than A6 Chip, about a billion of them.

post-75464-0-62921900-1378853599_thumb.j

2) M7, The Motion Co-Processor: Iphone 5S has M7, the Motion Co-Processor, which monitors motion data continously with the help of Accelerometer, Gyroscope & Compass. This co-processor enables new generation of health & fitness apps, with the help of Core-Motion API which identifies user movement and optimisations based on contextual awareness. Infact, Nike has jumped in and said to be making 'Nike + Move' app for Iphone 5S.

3) Improved Camera With Many Enhancements: Iphone 5S contains new 8 MP camer on the back, which is a 5-element apple designed lens with f/2.2 aperture and with 1.5µm pixel size, 15% larger active sensor area. The camera supports Slo-Mo video capturing @ 120fps along with its ability to shoot HD 720p Videos @ 120 fps. Camera also supports burst mode,panaroma mode and the ability to automatically set white balance, exposure level and creates a dynamic local tone map. One of the best feature of this camera is its ability to allow the user(us) to select which parts of the video to be in normal speed & which part to be in slo-mo. You can capture a video and select some part of it to be in Slow Motion while the remaining part to be in normal speed. The Iphone 5S also has dual flash(two different color temperature flashes). The front camera is a 1.2 MP one, capable of recording videos 720p@30fps along with face detection & FaceTime over Wi-Fi or Cellular capabilities.

post-75464-0-10598400-1378853735_thumb.j

4) TouchID, The Fingerprint Reader: This is arguably the highlight of all the features the Iphone 5S has. Its the fingerprint reader implemented at an entirely new level, which no other smartphone manufacturer has been able to implement. The sensor is 170 microns thin, 500 ppi resolution & scans sub-epidermal skin layers and has 360-degree readability. And the most sleek part of this whole implementation is that it's built-in-to newly designed home button(home button itself acts a fingerprint reader). The sensor is made of Saphire crystal or glass like material. And around the sensor a steel ring is placed which detects when the finger is actualy placed on the botton(so no pressing again & again). It can read multiple finger prints and the sensor, in a way acts as lens, takes picture of the finger print and analyzes it. And Apple quick to say that they didn't keep this finger print tech just for the name sake, instead they implemented the usage of fingerprint reader systemwide(built into IOS 7). Apple says the user can even authenticate iTunes purchase using his/her finger. And Apple also made it clear that all the data, collected by finger print reader, is stored locally(it will not be stored on iCloud).

post-75464-0-92851000-1378853807_thumb.j

post-75464-0-10432000-1378853825_thumb.j

5) Better Battrey Backup: Apple promises the battery life of 10 hrs 3g talktime, 250 hrs standby, 10 hrs LTE browsing, 40 hrs music playback.

6) Availability In More Countries At Launch: Iphone 5S along with the 5C model is available for pre-order on September 13th in U.S. In stores, it will be launched on September 20th in 9 countries. Iphone 5S will be available in more countries at launch than its predecessors. At launch the Iphone 5S will be available in the following 9 countries, United states, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore, United Kingdom and it will be availabe in more than 100 countries by the year end.

Whats Not So Cool With Iphone 5S:

1) The screen is still the same 4.0 inch, 640 x 1136 pixels, 4.0 inches (~326 ppi pixel density). The Apple also retains same form factor with measurements of 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm (4.87 x 2.31 x 0.30 in) and eighs 112g just as Iphone 5.

2) The battery is same 1440 mAh

Iphone 5C: The Budget Apple IPhone

post-75464-0-99173700-1378853964_thumb.j

post-75464-0-94707900-1378853996_thumb.j

Apple has announced a budget phone replacing the Iphone 5. And they literally replaced the phone, because, the Iphone 5C inherits the overall profile of Iphone 5 along with many of its traits. And to inform you, the Iphone 5C is the first Apple phone which is built using plastic(or polymer or polycarbonate, whatever you want to call it) since Iphone 3G & 3GS. Apart from that everything is same as Iphone 5. But Apple did say that they have done a system wide tuning of the same internals as Iphone 5.

Higlights:

1) High Quality build using Plastic or Polymer or Polycarbonte material with reinforced steel frame. Available in many different colours.

2) Improved camera than what is in Iphone 5. Iphone 5C has 8 MP, 5-elements camera with larger 1.9µ pixels. And Iphone 5C also has improved backside(flash) illumination. The screen is full sRGB standard & full widescreen one. New facetime HD camer, .

3) Console level graphics, more power-efficient and higher capacity battery(although it is stil unknown what the capacity is).

4) Supports more LTE bands than any other smartphone in the world, with theoritical speeds of 100Mbps. Supports Dual band(2.4Ghz/5 Ghz) Wifi a/b/g/n standards. Supports Bluetooth 4.0.

Apple's A7 SoC & IOS 7 64-bit Capabilities:

Although people criticize Apple for copying from & lagging behind other eco-systems technical capabilities, they should be given credit for introducting or implementing some of the best techs in their products. Some would argue that they(Apple) unilaterally changed the image of a Smartphone in the minds of masses although it was Palm & others who pioneered the smarphone concept at first. And here is the another milestone in the history of Apple or overall Smartphones, the first 64-bit SoC is announced & launched in the form of Apple's in-house developed chip 'A7'. With that IOS 7 becomes the first 64-bit mobile or smartphone OS.

During the new Iphones launch event, Apple has shared some interesting capabilities of IOS 7. Here are some:

1) Along with 64-bit capable, the IOS 7 is also backward compatible meaning 32-bit apps will work in IOS 7(just any 64-bit PC operating system).

2) IOS 7 has native 64-bit kernel, libraries & drivers. Meaning more robust performance without any decrease speeds across system-wide.

3) All built-in apps re-engineered and has Xcode support.

4) A seamless developer transistion(developers don't have to spend days in getting their apps re-engineered into 64-bit ones). Infact, the developers of popular 'Infinite Blade' game said(they were on the stage announcing the new series of the game 'Infinite Blade III'), they just had to work for 2 hours to create(or convert or re-engineer) 64-build of the new series 'Infinite Blade III' from its 32-build. That means, users & developers will not be stuck with their applications in 32-bit. The final build of IOS 7 is already released to developers, today itself and it will reach the normal users starting September 18th.

As I already mentioned, A7 is the first 64-bit SoC(although there are some ARM 64-bit designs, they are still in the stages of drawing board or pre-production). I've already mentioned some of the highlights of A7 SoC in the first point of Iphone 5S highlights section, at the start of this post.

So, that is it folks. I think Apple is successful in impressing the entire tech industry with the announcements of first 64-bit capable SoC, 'A7'(with the 64-bit capability of IOS7) along with the new fingerprint reader implementations 'Touch Id'. And I feel those are the two highlights that have overshadowed the announcements of the phone, which they are used in.

Edited by st_7

I liked the ring around the home button. BTW already bashing started for this phone. It has become a norm now to bash Apple after every iPhone launch...

• Like 1

I liked the ring around the home button. BTW already bashing started for this phone. It has become a norm now to bash Apple after every iPhone launch...

The issue some people raising is why Apple still want to sell Iphone 5C 16GB @ $549 without contract(32 GB costs still higher) and call it the budget phone. Some of the people from tech industry argue that, although they are praising Apple for A7 & Touch Id implementation in 5S, Iphone 5C does cost much lesser than what Iphone 5 has costed Apple to manufacture and hence they could've easily pass those extra profit, from the already mammoth profit Apple makes on each phone(previous generations) and could've offered the 5C for much lesser price than what it is. It only helps Apple in pentrating more low end markets which eventually may upgrade to higher end Iphones in the future.

And then there is the same screen issue, Apple could've increased the screen size & resolution(atleast in higher end model 5S) which again attracts more people even from the Android community to atleast try out what Apple is able to dish out.

Edited by st_7

I was seriously expecting 5c 16gb to be for 449$ and 32gb for 499$ as suggested in some forums. I was really interested in getting a Blue color one asap but now I guess its better to look for good deals on iphone 5 only for a while. The upside is that after this new launch ppl are selling there iphone 5 in haste and so in much better price point for us. :)

Apple wants to maintain its premium tag.

Coming back to the features, touch ID in my opinion is really good. If it works the way it is shown. The unlocking the device becomes much easier and there is no need for nay third party app for hidding/locking access to app. It also saves lot of time on typing password or draw pattern to unlock.

• Like 1

since i love making predictions,

i think 5s will outsell 5c in india!

why buy a budget looking cheap plasticky phone for rs. 30-35 k?

there are so many better premium options below rs. 25 k.

if anyone really wants the ios ecosystem, they can buy the 4s instead and not have to start buying lightning connectors.

next year apple will be forced to start discounting unsold inventories of 5c.

i'm happy with my 3gs and will be content once i get it jailbroken.

seems 5c will sell for 40k+?

I wonder how is it cheap?

and what would be the pricing for 5s?

I'm not an expert but my prices prediction...

5S for appx. 50000

5C for appx. 35-38000

5 for appx. 42000

4S for appx 27000

4 for appx 15-18000 or to be discontinued.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not an expert but my prices prediction...

5S for appx. 50000

5C for appx. 35-38000

5 for appx. 42000

4S for appx 27000

4 for appx 15-18000 or to be discontinued.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

No, 5C alone is priced around 4,488 Chinese Yuan in china((the main targeted market of 5C along with other low end markets) which translates around 46K in Indian currency. And there is no Iphone 5, Iphone 5C replaced Iphone 5, so atleast officially Iphone 5 will not be sold. And this is the reason, high price of 5C, why(along with no changes in screen size or resolution in atleast 5S that I talked about in my previous post) some of the people in the tech industry as well as the market brokerage houses like Nomura are disappointed & down-graded the Apple's share. And just as opined, many market pandits are of the same view Apple could've sold 5C much cheaper, which would've really attracted many people from many emerging markets.

I'm afraid Apple has missed the opportunity once again to storm into low end markets along with gaining back the market share in the higher end market that it has lost in the last few years. Again, most Apple users don't care whether they have world's first 64-bit capable OS & SoC, instaed almost all Apple buyers are those who fond of looks(which includes beautiful & high resolution screens) & simplicity in its usage. By simply putting a big screen, no not talking about those phablet sizes but atleast a screen of size betwee 4.3"-4.7", and a 1080p resolution in 5S along with selling 5C for around $450, Apple could've thumped almost all the competition in both low end & higher end markets, atleast for next few months.

Getting into cheaper variants would be the end of Apple, because the only reason they sell is due to their premium image which strictly requires high prices (and exceptional quality and branding of-course - but that is a given with Apple).

If their products become 'too affordable' by the masses there will be no aspirational appeal and they will completely lose out to the Androids.

I completely agree about the screen though, they should have increased the size to 4.7" and resolution to 1080p.

But then, they are probably planning that as your next reason to upgrade to iPhone 6 !

• Like 1

I believe the next iPhones will have larger screen and a few additional vow features. The pricing will remain higher than the androids. Apple will be encouraging people to exchange their smartphones for some discounts in India. That's their new strategy to gain market share without lowering their margins and prices. If they allow those using iphone 4 to upgrade at a discount of 10-15k I believe lot of them would upgrade to iphone 5S.

A bit disappointed that iphone continues with ite screen size. Fat guys like me really hate it ... lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Introducing the iPhone 5S, lol

• Like 2

As usual, the guys over iFixit.com has given the just released Iphone 5s their treatment. They dissected it into parts & given a score of 6 out of 10 on repairability. Head over to this Link to know some interesting things about the internals of Iphone 5s & how the internal workmanship differs from Iphone 5.

post-75464-0-62413900-1379691527_thumb.j

Source

iPhone 5S Trumps Practically Every Smartphone in Benchmarks!

Guess what! iPhone 5S only has a 1.3 Ghz Dual Core processor but has scored better then every Quad Core, Ghz bursting, latest phones in benchmarks! And by a huge margin in some benchmarks!

The most comprehensive technical review of iPhone 5S is here >> http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review

Have a look at the following benchmark images! Source Anandtech

58181.png

58166.png

58170.png

58171.png

58196.png

• Like 4

A7 Chip In Apple iPhone 5S Is Actually Made By Samsung

Source
Apple-iPhone-5S-board-640x262.jpg

Apple and Samsung have an increasingly competitive relationship over the recent years, with their iPhone and Galaxy S-lines doing battle to see which can sustain this highest level of technological advancement the longest. Another well-documented, but perhaps less known, fact is that Samsung actually supplies Apple with mobile processor chips and has actually signed an agreement with Apple to provide them with 14mm A9 chips through to what is predicted to be the iPhone 7.

It comes as no surprise then that we see that the highly vaunted A7 64-bit chip in the Apple iPhone 5S, which has produced a 20-30% performance improvement over the old iPhone 5, is actually made by Samsung. And as a related side-note, if anyone is considering switching to the iPhone 5S because of its 64-bit processor, have a read ofthis article and see why a 64-bit processor is no better than a 32-bit processor in the current and near future mobile industry.

So there you have it, another product of the awkward relationship between Apple and Samsung, which at the heart of it, is just good business. Anybody want to share their opinion on this relationship between Apple and Samsung? Share it with us in the comments.

Source: Chipworks via Phandroid

• Like 1

its a known fact that samsung manufactures chips for apple, the higher benchmarks are the result of 64bit implementation, the core numbers is same as the megapixel myth , higher cores doesnt mean better performance , it all depends on the architecture and other factors , as far im seeing the 64bit implementation has given the apple a leap

^^^ You forget about the additional chip, M7, motion coprocessor which has also helped a lot.

• Like 1

^^^ You forget about the additional chip, M7, motion coprocessor which has also helped a lot.

true

its a known fact that samsung manufactures chips for apple, the higher benchmarks are the result of 64bit implementation, the core numbers is same as the megapixel myth , higher cores doesnt mean better performance , it all depends on the architecture and other factors , as far im seeing the 64bit implementation has given the apple a leap

The core count(number of cores) in a processor does count only if it is to be used with multi-threaded applications, this has been the point of discussion for the last couple of years in the Android world too, where there aren't enough applications that truly need multiple cores. And 64-bit architecture in the not so matured 64-bit platform does more bad than good because, for a 32-bit app or a driver, both 64-bit & 32-bit libraries will have to be loaded on to the main memory. More usage of ram for the same app than a normal 32-bit platform(if you remember this was the problem that desktop users faced when the 64-bit architecture was first introduced in operating systems like XP & Vista, no true 64-bit drivers & apps so more laggy performance).

But Apple somehow managed to produce a SoC that delivers performance more than its counterparts in the mobile world just at the base clocks(A7 SoC max clock speed 1.3Ghz whereas Snapdragon 800 SoC clocks at a staggering 2.3Ghz). It has come very close to the performance of Intel's Bay Trail(which considered to be the beast to beat in the coming months). This is due to two reasons, one is the 64-bit processor, which means more wider general registers & float-point registers along with the increase in the number of registers and two is the amount of optimization that Apple has made to take full advantage of the SoC. If you read reviews of Moto X(Motorola's latest flagship), it trounces(in many benchmarks) every other Android flagship of this year(from the first of the year) which features Snapdragon 600 SoC even though it(Moto X) has the last year's processor, Snapdragon S4 Pro. It is just because of Moto X fully & better optimized for the Snapdragon s4 Pro than any other smartphone was done.

M7 co-processor doesn't help in the performance of Iphone 5s, it is just there to do works that don't need the muscle of main processor. Instead of wasting more power in waking up the main processor, Apple implemented M7 co-processor for all the works that need very low power so that the main processor can be put in deep sleep state(which saves or improves battery life). Again, I'll compare with what Motorola did with Moto X, one of the most talked about feature in Moto X is always on screen, screen always doesn't shut off completely when it's locked, instead it shows the notifications on the lock screen at minimum brightness when the display is infomred by the host of sensors that the phone is out of pocket or bag or the phone is put face(screen) up on the table. If you put phone face down on the table, the display shuts off completely, same is done when the phone goes into pocket or bag. So all these features are implemented by Contextual Awareness processor(TI MSP430). All the sensors, that feed the information & help the display to decide when to light up to provide notifications, use Contextual Awareness processor but not the main Snapdragon S4 pro processor because they don't need the muscle of S4 Pro. Same goes with the always on voice feature(say 'Ok Google Now' to unlock the device or do other things without touching it), which is implemented by another co-processor called 'Natural Language Core'(TI C55x).

Edited by st_7
  • Like 3

informative

Chaos Computing Club (CCC) - German Hackers Group, is able to hack into iPhone TouchID. Read more...

Edited by csmart

This is freaking...

Apple sells 9 million new iPhones in three days Mobile

http://engt.co/18kZRcV

Apple just set a new all-time record for iPhone launch sales: it reports selling nine million total iPhone 5s and 5c units this weekend, well over the 5 million of the iPhone 5 launch last year. While the company isn't breaking down sales by individual models, it notes that the initial iPhone 5s supply has already sold out. The company also mentioned that more than 200 million devices are already running iOS 7. That's the fastest software upgrade in history, according to Apple. While it's difficult to put the sales and download figures into context without directly comparable numbers from rivals, it's clear that the new devices are off to a strong start. Check out Apple's self-congratulatory release after the break.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by csmart

my wife upgraded her iphone 5 over the weekend to ios7 and loved the new interface,

i updated my ipad2 and hated the 'flat' u.i.

i would have to downgrade to ios6 if i want to jailbreak in any case

i guess i'm not into change for the heck of it!

which is why i'm content with my wife's old 3gs [4 years] and an even older bb cdma [5 yrs] ...

i guess its a sign i must be getting old :nerves:

This is freaking...

Apple sells 9 million new iPhones in three days Mobile

http://engt.co/18kZRcV

Apple just set a new all-time record for iPhone launch sales: it reports selling nine million total iPhone 5s and 5c units this weekend, well over the 5 million of the iPhone 5 launch last year. While the company isn't breaking down sales by individual models, it notes that the initial iPhone 5s supply has already sold out. The company also mentioned that more than 200 million devices are already running iOS 7. That's the fastest software upgrade in history, according to Apple. While it's difficult to put the sales and download figures into context without directly comparable numbers from rivals, it's clear that the new devices are off to a strong start. Check out Apple's self-congratulatory release after the break.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2
  • Like 1

Iphone 5s cdma+gsm shows up on ebay india for 85k

firstly i read in one of our threads that its selling for one lakh in grey market and now this. :Silbando:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Apple-iPhone-5s-64GB-GSM-CDMA-World-Phone-Works-on-all-GSM-and-CDMA-Networks-/181226050869?pt=IN_Mobile_Phones&hash=item2a31ea1535

Edited by ::: VA :::