Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aalok

Region Locked Samsung Phones

Over the last few days, there have been reports about the presence of region-lock on Samsung’s Galaxy Note 3 smartphone but it turns out the overall situation is not all that bad.

Note3_SIM.jpg

According to a report in All About Samsung, the region-locks are only valid for the first-time activation of the smartphone. So, you are planning to get an American Galaxy Note 3, you will have to activate it using a SIM card valid in Americas region and after the activation, you can pop in any SIM card to use it. The same has been tried and tested and works fine.

Apparently, Samsung wants to curb the grey market imports of smartphones from one region to another. So, unless you open the smartphone box and put a local SIM to activate it, there is no way to use it in another region (except a few exceptions).

These exceptions are that a local Samsung service center (local to the place from where you have bought the phone) can unlock the phone for you or you can try one of the services available online, which offer unlock codes for money.

In related news, it has also come to light that region locks aren’t just present on Note 3, units of Samsung Galaxy S III, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S4 Mini, which were manufactured after July 2013, come with region locks. All these region locks are also valid for the first time activation like Note 3.

It is also important to note here that not every region seem to have region-locked Samsung phones and unless you see a sticker like the one present in the image, it is very likely that the phone is not region-locked.

Source

• Like 1

samsung is killing their own business.

just wait for some time, solution will come up for this....

^^^^^

Now there is a news that once this region locking will be done for old phones like S3 and Note2 after KitKat update... SOURCE : PA

Looks like my T-Mobile Note2 is the LAST SAMSUNG device for me... I have to get T-Mob or AT&T SIM so that I can continue to use it in India, after the KitKat update...

F YOU SAMMY....

the biggest gainer in India would be Micromax and Lava (Xolo)

Now Note3 region lock can be removed... RegionLock Away

androidfannetwork.com/2013/10/05/regionlock-awayremove-galaxy-note-3-region-lock/

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

^^^^^

Thanks and bought it from PlayStore, just in case I may need it in the future...

^^^^^

Thanks and bought it from PlayStore, just in case I may need it in the future...

Deepan bhai Paisa jyada hogaya kya? Bina jaroorat ke app kharid raheho . Edited by ::Hitesh::

^^^^^

I may save the Rs150/- by buying T-Mobile Note3 (just like Note2 I am using now) in future at discounted price in the future ;) ... So its a worthy investment imho... Further there is a rumor that current Note2 will be on the same fate after 4.4 KitKat update...

Further we have to support those developers who spend their talent and TIME for android community.. This may encourage them... And with Rs150, may be I have just lost the money for buying 1.5 kgs of onions :grin: ...

^^^^^

YUP... Same as Note2... Freedom only till 4.3...