Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums

Is evdo good enough?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with your evdo performance?

• Yes its amazing
    • HSDA/3G is much better
    • I wish it was faster
    • I am waiting for EVDO Rev.B or 4G

In last one year or ever since 3g got easily available for comman man :SI: , I have used High speed interent over mobile of various networks for good duration.

Airtel, Vodafone, Idea & Reliance GSM & CDMA.

As far as speeds are concerend RGSM was the most surprising with often 7Mbps :w00t::Sorprendido: speeds but the network was very poor. I travel alot and it would get tricky in most places.

Airtel & Vodafone would easily give me 4-5 Mbps any point of time and very decent coverage too. :grinning:

Idea with best gsm 3g plans in Raj circle at least but speeds would stretch max. to 2-3 Mbps at any given point of day or night. :Silbando:

Now coming back to the topic of this thread our forums' :pleasantry:most coveted reliance cdma evdo rev. A. I must say, baring apart the call quality and coverage, the speeds are mostly poor :ko2: . At the max. it stretches to 500-700 Kbps at any point. Its cheaper by almost half than any other network with the popular 94 recharge. :dance: But is it really worth it? All the time consumed with such speeds. Does the cheaper call rate and call quality suffice for slow internet. :nono:

Most of us here have spent our hard earned money invested to buy the most smart- smartphone but is it able actually do all the smart things without being backed by a strong internet. :crazy1:

Have we already reached the point where advent of either EVDO Rev. B or 4G is imperative? :thumbup: Should we keep buying phones on our dear rcdma network with both handset and network supporting only Rev.A. :suicide:

With this thread I am hoping to discuss and share experiences, plus review the situation. :sos:

Edited by ::: VA :::
  • Like 1

Agreed that we have not yet evolved on RCDMA as yet with sub 1Mbps speeds most of the time ... but you are not downloading movies on mobile .. you need to surf and download at the.most docments .. for videos and other stuff we have wifi .. at our home as well at our offices. ... and how much time we have fir all that ... considering that .. RCDMA is good for me .. with decent network coverage .. across india... and we do not get single provider coverage from one operator across India ..

I second Maulik's views. Internet on mobile is mostly used for email/IM sync viewing docs and and pics sent by friends, though I agree usage may differ. Rev B or higher speeds are obviously a plus but even at present speeds, I don't see any viable alternative in India that can provide so much wide coverage of 50-700 kbps speeds.

I agree with VA ji. On gsm too 3g is not as widespread add evdo and 2gsm is practically unusable.

As I believe, with meid registration our beloved hetal has compelled us to be with reliance for couple of more years. Cdma now when compared with gsm has became less productive.

Recently I badly felt need of browsing while calling and my phone could not support.

Even lacking video call is at times counter productive in cdma

• Like 1

As per my view currently EVDO A should be sufficient to meet requirements of most of the subscriber.

500-600Kbps is good enough for video chats and occasional downloads.

For regular download one cant depend on mobile internet due to the cost factor involved.

Just off topic...

Tata plans to expand Photon Max network

http://www.indiatvnews.com/business/india/tata-docomo-plans-to-expand-high-speed-mobile-broadband-service-7875.html

Down 2-3 years I think TCDMA/RCDMA will close business for voice only service and will upgrade most of their Metro/mini metro network to have EVDO.B capabilities

Simultaneous voice and data is often needed as you carry and do so much with these smartphones. To share or check things relevant to a conversation is often a necessity.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Yes simultaneously Voice + Data is really killing for EvDO RevA ..

I too feel VA is right, 3G GSM is much better than EvDo. Although EvDo Rev B is available for Chennai (as per HP's post earlier), I do not have any handset capable to check that, so no comments.

One more thing, is that battery life in EvDo is very very poor as compared to 3G GSM. On EvDo, my Photon lasts only max 6 hours, but with 3G GSM on my same Photon, it lasts almost 2.5 to 3 times more. Others here may share their experience on battery life.This has been my own experience during the last one year. Of course, 3G GSM network availability is a problem at many places, but where its available, it has been very good so far.

Given a choice, I will junk EvDo, I use it very rarely because of poor battery life. Most of the time, I use WiFi only when in office or at home.

Thanks kumaar Bhai to highlight this one, I had totally missed. My experience is same regarding battery life over evdo and hsda.

But strangely I have observed htc handsets on omh to go on and on easily with constant evdo active. Dinc2, desire vc & xc

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Thats true .. especially on MoPho ,. Which i was using about 2 weeks ago when i got lgog.

With stock gingerbread cdma evdo gave worst battery life and phone usedto get very hot .. infact battery temp apps used to report 49degrees ...

Theni changedthe prl to local hsd as well as changedvthe ROM from stock gingerbread to pacman jellybean ... and on that battery life was awesome on EvDO .. onlyvthing i missed was usb tetheringdue to rom issues ..

• Like 1

EVDo Rev.A gives a constant 2.8 MBps off peak hours in my vicinity. There has never been a network blackout in 1x or EVDo in the last two years. BSNL 3G and Tata Docomo 3G GSM never connect to the internet, maybe it connects accidentally sometimes but otherwise I have not found any 3G or 2G HSPA service comparable to EVDo. Reliance will incorporate 1x advanced which is better than EVDo Rev.B in close future. The only downside upon using EVDo on smartphones is the chips getting too hot.

Home Office with Samsung Note8

• Like 1

Agree about spread and stability of evdobut handsets? How many handesets today has rev B ? Unless qualcom aka read Verizon and sprint don't wish phones will have blocked features.

Does PRL have any role in having good EVDO speed?

If so then which PRL is best for Delhi region?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

^^No noticeable difference in performance on any PRL in Reliance in any circle. But in other countries there exists a specific set of PRLs based on circle, region and subscription. LG Optimus G and Huawei Ascend W1 works on EVDo Rev. B. Rev.B development is not gaining focus because Sprint and Verizon do not need EVDo Rev B. They believe they have transformed Hi speed data into 4G LTE and that technology is future proof for the time being. In US, those carriers who do not offer 4G LTE, automatically get LTE roaming on partnered networks. The other factor dominating 4G LTE is a possible unification between GSM and CDMA. One number, any SIM, any handset, any network.

Home Office with Samsung Note8

• Like 1