Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
csmart

[Help Needed] Restore foxpro files - Virus clean

:bs_help::bs_help::bs_help::support::support:

My dad is using customised accounting package on Windows 2003. The virus has struck and corrupted all .DBF files. These are Foxpro files. The virus has changed the name as below

BANK.DBF(!! to get password email id 1218097955 to caextreme1@gmail.com !!).exe

While it should be BANK.DBF

Now the problem is they do not have backup as smart accountant forget to take one. Is there a way to repair such files?

I tried changing the name back to .DBF but of no use.

Your help appreciated.. thanx in advance....

:bs_help: :bs_help:

I am no expert in FoxPro,

but have you used DBF repair tool like DBF doctor ?

^^^ Hitesh, we tried that without any luck. Actually it has been corrupted or changed by the virus.

On some forums, it is mentioned that this some sort of ransom.

Has it flashed any ransom message on the screen like mentioned here >> http://blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2013/10/cryptolocker-ransomware-what-you-need-to-know/

If it is CryptoLocker Virus, i fear you can only remove the infection from system but already infected files decryption is almost impossible.

This is an excellent post as repository of all current knowledge regarding the Cryptolocker infection. >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/506924/cryptolocker-hijack-program/page-26#entry3165383

• Like 1

Not getting these message. It has converted .DBF file of Foxpro to .exe with email ID as I mentioned in the 1st post. Whenever I click on this, it ask to enter a key to decrypt it.

Did you try AVG rescue CD.

It can be done using CD or usb drive.

You don't have to boot your os instead it cleans the system from booting with this tool. Quite effective in cleaning. It's totally free of cost.

http://www.avg.com/in-en/avg-rescue-cd

Edited by ::: VA :::

^^^

Files are encrypted now, its not a normal virus which effects EXE files,

his DBF files are as it is but only wrapped in exe with encrypted password.

normally every time Foxpro changes a DBF file, it saves the previous file with a .bak extension.

see if the .bak files are intact. you would be able to open them with MS Excel if they are all right.

if they are intact, you can save them back as .dbf files. If you have Office 2003 you can directly save from there otherwise download and install libreoffice and then open the .bak file in libreoffice and save in .dbf format.

this way you would have all file structures and most data intact, although the data relating to the last session would not be possible to be retrieved.

• Like 1

@commonman .bak files are not there. Will dig into the system to find.

Edited by csmart

Todays report in ToI, Chennai edition

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

post-7068-13825867486_thumb.jpg

^^^^

Ohhooh... So its more complicated than it looks like... Looks like I have to backup my office data too often and NOT once in 3 months...

@kanaga you need to have automated system of backing up. thats the best way rather than depending on an individual. 3 months is way too long for any backup.

I have a Foxpro based accounting Software

Now new version is for Windows Available

But every day u start PC it make a Auto backup of all companies in diff folder, That makes it very safe,

^^^ Parin appreicaite if you can tell which software you are using for backing up. We (my dad) are using winodws server based system with remote desktop. So everything is on server and not on PCs. Somehow accountants stopped taking backup from last 6 months.

Actually the program was written by me when I was studying First Year in Engineering College as time-pass... But since nobody with computer programming knowledge, knows my business better than me (even at that age) and knowing the way my mom and dad does things manually, the learning curve for that program is almost NIL for them and they are NOT at all ready to change to something new currently available in the local market...

Now I have FULL knowledge and knows better programming than earlier, but have little to NO time to update it. Even if the data is completely lost, it can be rebuild with even age old backup + recent HARD Copies, but the time and pain it will consume will be sooo huge. I am using DropBox (so that it automatically backup the data to my laptop, netbook, Nexus7 Tab and phone(s) as well) as backup service (with 53+GB space) and currently working for automation of that backup service.

This thread is an eye-opener for me... Thank you friends...

Edited by KanagaDeepan

you can use any backup software, and destination folder would be local drop-box folder

dropbox pc client will automatically upload those file to drop-box server

also u can set backup utility to delete old backup and save space of pc and drop-box

Yes, I am looking for the same...