Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
vakharia

Motorola Razr HD Maxx - Tips And Suggestions

Purchased a Razr HD Maxx for my dad a couple of months ago from another forum, so I would offer a few tips:

1. If you want to use it on Reliance, then you need to cut your SIM to a micro-SIM size. Some shops charge Rs. 30 for this.

2. Data works by default on Reliance - no need to do anything special.

3. In the settings, there is a "International" mode, switch to that for usage in India.

4. You will get an update to update the system from 9.16.x to 9.18.x. But before you do that, please get the phone bootloader unlocked and also get root. There are instructions on other forums to do that.

5. Lot of bloatware from Verizon on the phone. I will get rid of that for my dad in the near future if Motorola does not come out with a 4.3 update soon.

6. Smartactions is a great app on the phone. Make good use of it to get even better battery life.

7. There are some issues with WiFi. We had to change our WiFi router to 802.11g (from b/g) for this to work. All other devices in the house did not have issues. This WiFi issue has also been reported at various places.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing. Please continue to discuss further in this topic.

<< Note: This topic is created by splitting the above post from a sale topic in Buy-Sell bazaar forum.>>

suggestion: please add 'tips and suggestions' in thread-name.

@tapatalk/MOTO-XPRT

The wifi issue is equally with every RAZR ranging from the RAZR xt912, RAZR maxx, RAZR HD and the RAZR MAXX HD after the JB update.
But thing is the issue is only when used with outdated wifi routers which are about 5 years or more old in USA. This is what I could make out from my search online. People had no issues when they used wifi routers of recent make.

OP is right about not being able to unlock BL after the 9.18.x and further updates. However the mobile can still be rooted, safestrap installed and custom ROM based on stock kernels be used.

Here is an official statement from Moto:

YvLIQEC.png?3

Edited by ankitdaluka

Thanks for creating a new topic out of this. Hopefully the few limited users of this phone can share information with each other on this page.

About the routers, it might be true that they may be old models, however, the technology used by them is pretty much the same as the new ones.

When I configured the mobile with my Cisco Linksys router, I had no issues. But when we took this mobile to connect with an Edimax router, it started misbehaving. Ironically, all other devices (2 laptops, one iPad, one Motorola Defy and one Motorola Xoom tablet, and two more mobiles) all were working absolutely fine.

After research for several hours and trying everything under the book, I came across a post where someone had the same problem and also provided a solution. The solution was to disable 802.11b,g and just switch to 802.11g on the router.

I tried this and it solved the problem immediately. The mobile has been running fine ever since.

Now, this is not an issue with the router, but with the mobile which does not seem to be happy with both b and g being available.

Coming to the boot-loader, the best time to unlock it is with 9.16.x. The moment you are online you will get a 9.18.x update, even here in India. So, it was to warn the buyer of the mobile to do decline this update. Everytime you switch on the mobile, you will get the update message. I am not sure what I did to hide it, but now-a-days my father does not get the message anymore.

I thought I should update this post.

Last week, I upgraded my dad's XT926 (which he is using with Reliance CDMA) from 4.1.2 (some 9.16.x version) to 4.4.2 (latest Kitkat release).

There were two steps involved.

1. Getting to the 9.30.1 version

2. Installing the OTA after that.

After the upgrade, the phone seems a lot snappier than before. I cannot comment much on battery life, but probably there is not much difference.

One negative thing that has happened is if you have contact with the +91 in front of the number, then SMS won't go (you get Error: 98). You have to edit the contact and remove the +91 or substitute with a zero.

Another negative this is that Reliance CDMA data has stopped working completely. Something to do with PRL I suppose.

SmartActions is no longer there. That is another negative.

Whether GSM is working or not after updating to KitKat sir?

sent from my rooted Droid MAXX using Tapatalk

Whether GSM is working or not after updating to KitKat sir?

sent from my rooted Droid MAXX using Tapatalk

I tested with TataDoCoMo. The signal came fine and the APN settings also came up automatically. The data also worked fine.

In my razr maxx hd update comes,downloaded automatically but i dont want to install it.it reminds often for install it.what to do ?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Root and freeze Motorola OTA app.

And delete the downloaded OTA from memory

• Like 3

I updated my android version to 4.4.2 in my motorola droid razr maxx hd (Verizon) after that I am not able to use data services on my phone though WiFi is working. Currently I am using reliance CDMA my number is 9312075421.

I tried with an Airtel sim card the internet was working on that sim.

Yesterday I had factory and hard resetted my phone but was not useful except of hassels

I spoke at reliance customer care regarding this they suggested that they can't give me internet setting as my phone doesn't allow my APN to be edited and they told me to contact point of sale that is seller telling me that seller can put some program to get data working.

Could you please suggest any way out.

Thanks & Regards

Abhishek Arora

abhishek_arora@live.com

I updated my android version to 4.4.2 in my motorola droid razr maxx hd (Verizon) after that I am not able to use data services on my phone though WiFi is working. Currently I am using reliance CDMA my number is 9312075421.

I tried with an Airtel sim card the internet was working on that sim.

Yesterday I had factory and hard resetted my phone but was not useful except of hassels

I spoke at reliance customer care regarding this they suggested that they can't give me internet setting as my phone doesn't allow my APN to be edited and they told me to contact point of sale that is seller telling me that seller can put some program to get data working.

Could you please suggest any way out.

Thanks & Regards

Abhishek Arora

abhishek_arora@live.com

I don't have a solution, but frankly I have not tried much, since my dad does not use mobile data as such. But I agree that Kitkat does break the data connectivity with Reliance CDMA. Some PRL settings have probably got wiped off it seems during this upgrade.

Others on RIMweb might suggest some troubleshooting exercise.

One specific ruim cards work with data

i have try 5 ruim cards only 1works with data

bellow attached pic of ruim cards thats work data in KK.

post-29638-140169749744_thumb.jpg

One specific ruim cards work with data

i have try 5 ruim cards only 1works with data

bellow attached pic of ruim cards thats work data in KK.

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1401697498359.jpg

Hi Vijay,

Thank you for this.

However, I am not sure what forum members can do to identify such a mini-SIM card? The picture will not really help us to buy something from Reliance web world, I suppose.

The fact that data was working previously, means that the update has messed up something in the phone. So, changing the SIM is not really a solution, in my opinion.

Try to get the latest mini sim card from webworld. Not the normal ones that u need to cut. get the ones that are available in mini.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

u need to try another micro sim card from different webworld. if none of the sim works. the solution is risky and costly. pm me

Razr HD/ Maxx users note that after upgrading to Kitkat and rooting the phone with towelroot, it is now possible to unlock the bootloader again. So, please make use of this opportunity while it lasts.

thanks for the update.