Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
mazdayar

Can we increase available RAM on smartphones?

Is it possible to increase the RAM on phones the way it can be done on computers?

Can the hardware gurus shed some light in this area?

I use an HTC Incredible 2 & the phone is fantastic in every way other than the fact that it gets slow while multi tasking. Though the specifications of the phone say it has 768MB RAM, the phone shows only 573MB total available RAM. Out of that 370+ is always being used; which leaves very little for running the apps. Screenshot attached.

So it would be great if we could upgrade the RAM to about 2GB or at least 1 to 1.5GB.

post-64750-0-74610600-1383890633_thumb.j

You cannot increase the "physical" RAM on smartphone. It's still not modular & upgradeable like PC. But you can increase "available" RAM through rooting / removing bloatware apps & using certain RAM management apps.

• Like 1

As Rajan ji said, the smartphones are still not modular where you can replace or upgrade individual parts(some can in some phones) especially CPU, RAM etc. But it may change soon, if recent reports of Motorola project of making a truly modular phone is in the works. But still I don't think we will be able to upgrade or replace CPU, RAM in phones at least in the near future.

Thank god that we cannot upgrade. Even with project ara I would expect it to be possible to customize before buying not later.

Think about it, already we have so many customized roms and if we can tinker with hardware then we will never be sure to get genuine product in grey/second hand market. The products will be shady and unreliable like assembled pc.

When manufacturers of all cadres are constantly wooing us with upgraded variety and falling prices, it's best to stick with what hardware they add in their factory.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2