Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
M.S.Rao

Reliance Communications de-activates around 10 million in-active GSM and CDMA Mobile Subscribers

India’s single largest Duel technology mobile service provider (GSM and CDMA), Reliance Communications (Rcom) has de-activated around 10 million in-active, low-end mobile subscribers at the end of September.

According to telecom regulator TRAI’s data, Reliance Communications (Rcom) purged approx 8% of its GSM and CDMA subscriber base in the month of September, 2013. With this clean-up move, Rcom lost its third position in the Indian mobile – telecom market to Idea Cellular in terms of user base.

According to TRAI data, India’s total mobile subscriber base (GSM and CDMA) decreased from 876.72 million in August 2013 to 870.58 million at the end of September 2013, registering a monthly decline of 0.70%.

Largest GSM mobile service provider Bharti Airtel and Vodafone India hold the number one and number two positions with 193.3 million customers 155 million customers respectively.

Idea Cellular is now 3rd largest mobile service provider in terms of mobile subscriber base, gained 1.2 million users in the month to end September with 127.2 million users.

Mobile subscribers in urban areas decreased from 525.84 million in August 2013 to 520.21 million at the end of September 2013. The wireless subscription in rural areas decreased from 350.88 million to 350.37 million during the same period.

“Our focus is entirely on enhancing profitable minutes on our network, and not on the number of subscribers “
Spokesperson Reliance Communications (Rcom)

Source: Telecomtalk

• Like 1

^^^^^

My 2 RCom (0ne Cdma and 1 Gsm) numbers are still active after 3 years.. Yes, I have just check it after seeing the report on TT... So either this info is false or RCom needs to deactivate few more crores of connections, that are NOT really active, imho...

• Like 1

good move -

will improve arpu instead of keeping crores of inactive subscribers just to inflate customer base for spectrum allocation

same here. two of my old prepaid numbers which got stuck due to handset not getting changed and reliance wouldnt

transfer them to new meid or omh. Its been more than 9 months and they are both still active.

as when i call it says they are switched off........

my 2.5 year old prepaid number from Hyderabad seems to be deactivated. (Not used since April 2011)

Earlier when called it used to say switch off.

Now its just beep once or twice and call is disconnected

^^^^^

Looks like your number is on the recently deactivated one crore list and mine and baba ji numbers are in the 4 to 5 crores yet to be deactivated RCom numbers (among total of 8.7 crores)...

This move will decrease their subscriber base, but will inflate the ARPU value and average MoU (minutes of Usage) which is much needed for them and their stock holders, imho...

• Like 1

Average VLR% for reliance in month of April13 was around 87, Idea 98, Airtel 95, Vodafone 95

This should give an indicaion of how many more subscribers RCOM might clean up...