Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
feeagle99

Please suggest an OMH based Global Phone

Hi RIMWebians,

Thought of upgrading my phone, budget is not an issue. Essentially I want to be able to use the same phone (voice, data, SMS, USSD) all over the world - CDMA in India and US and GSM elsewhere is what I am thinking. Been reading the forums and I am confused and was hoping that folks here could help. Reason I need an OMH set is that I am pretty sure if I take a programmed phone to the US it will stop working. Worst case scenario, probably if there is nothing, I might need to reprogram while in US and once again I am back.

On basis of what I read in RIMWeb I believe the phones can be Droid DNA, Sprint HTC One, Razr Maxx HD. There may be some older models I remember Kapilji and Tusharji were talking about Droid Razr and there is the Droid 3 too...

Can the experts please let me know what is the right choice here.

Thanks

All these phones will work with sim in usa as well as India n work on any gsm or cdma without any settings.. N you can switch from usa n India by just changing the sim

Verizon Motorola

Razr m

Razr hd

Razr maxx hd

Droid mini

Droid ultra

Droid Maxx (the latest one)

Moto x

Verizon Samsung s3

verizon lg g2

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by hiteshkkk1
  • Like 1

Better go for Htc one dual sim (cdma+gsm), there are some Lenovo models available which supports both gsm and cdma omh.dual sim Motorola handsets from China also there which supports gsm ussd and omh card.

All these phones will work with sim in usa as well as India n work on any gsm or cdma without any settings.. N you can switch from usa n India by just changing the sim Verizon Motorola Razr m Razr hd Razr maxx hd Droid mini Droid ultra Droid Maxx (the latest one) Moto x Verizon Samsung s3 verizon lg g2 Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hiteshji, do ALL these support GSM? Specifically does Samsung S3 support both GSM and CDMA?

Better go for Htc one dual sim (cdma+gsm), there are some Lenovo models available which supports both gsm and cdma omh.dual sim Motorola handsets from China also there which supports gsm ussd and omh card.

Satishji, concern I have with these phones is that while these may work in India through OMH, not sure if these can be used in USA on CDMA. Anyday I prefer using a CDMA network if possible. Thereby, I believe the best choice is buying a phone released by US phone operator. Ofcourse the complication here is Bad ESN :(

All these phones will work with sim in usa as well as India n work on any gsm or cdma without any settings.. N you can switch from usa n India by just changing the sim Verizon Motorola Razr m Razr hd Razr maxx hd Droid mini Droid ultra Droid Maxx (the latest one) Moto x Verizon Samsung s3 verizon lg g2 Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Razr M, Razr maxx HD I have heard, Verizon Samsung S3 don't you have to do some programming for enabling OMH? I have not seen other handset being discussed / offered here...

I would'nt mind this set but problem is I am not sure if these will work in US. Never seen anything like an OMH set being used in US and I prefer CDMA networks both in US and India. My guess is I essentially will need to use a phone released by Verizon/Sprint/US Cellular if I want to use CDMA there :(

From what I can see, the safe choices would be RAZR M and RAZR MAXX HD.

Would RIMWebians agree?

you can use us cellular s3 - only CDMA sim base will work in usa (US Cellular) and india both.

Motorola electrify M - Only cdma base (us cellular / Indian cdma)

motorola razr m - gsm unlocked, cdma sim for verizon and india.

and also other verizon motorola recommended by kakkad bhai.

• Like 1

N yes i535 Verizon s3 will work on us with vzw sim, in India with reliance sim too with modified sim which i can give you n gsm worldwide too

In using this since January n pretty happy with this device.. Best in all aspects..

If going for s3, go for vzw considering gsm support

Motorola razr m is being used by my wife and all combinations of s3 above will work

N same for razr hd which is being used my my friend

If battery life is your concern, definitely go for razr hd maxx.. Same as razr hd with 3300 mah n battery..

You'll get it from hetal bhai

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks Rimweb gurus for your responses!

On believe that Droid RAZR MAXX HD should be my first choice and next should be Verizon S3.

I do see that some people have issues with the earpiece in MAXX HD, which I find surprising because I had a K1m earlier and in my opinion that was one of the best sounding handsets I have ever owned. Hopefully the "audio experience" in MAXX HD will be comparable.

@ feeagle99

One major issue that no one has pointed here regarding the US specific handsets

If you are Planning to make the purchase in INDIA than please note this

Most of the CDMA Handsets Imported from USA & being sold in INDIA are BAD ESN if i am not mistaken around 80%

so Chances are those wont work for CDMA service In the USA as its already barred by the original Operator

& some Global Phones also have restrictions for being used on Domestic GSM carriers in USA as they are meant to to be used on GSM if travelling outside USA

So its better to make purchase in the USA

Now some key points regarding your choice of handsets

Now If you Make the Purchase in the US

for example Razr Maxx HD (Clean ESN)

You can use the Handset with verizon in USA , GSM Worldwide & Both GSM or CDMA in INDIA (will work out of the box)

For Droid DNA will work with verizon sim in USA GSM worldwide & CDMA non sim (NV MODE) & GSM for INDIA ,

so if u choose & get it configured also u will need to switch between modes (nv & SIM) depending upon country

the process takes only 5 mins but requires a pc to do it

For sprint HTC one

can be used in USA on sprint in NON sim (nv mode) GSM world wide & both CDMA or GSM sim in india

but again need to switch modes according to country

so best option in my opinion would be Razr HD Maxx

Hope this Info Helps

@Forum Members if i am wrong some where please correct me

Regards

• Like 8

I read this being mentioned more than once still I want to confirm.

Droid razr maxx hd

& Droid Maxx.

Will they work out of box with any Indian cdma/gsm SIM.

Can I just get one from USA without second thoughts.

Essentially required for omh rcdma of course.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

@ feeagle99

even if you go for bad esn phones, they are still usable in USA with carrier like cricket and metro etc.. [little flashing is require just like reliance]

I can help you with cricket and metro

Jagjit Singhji : Indeed I did my analysis and it seems that RAZR MAXX/RAZR MAXX HD are the best bets for working "out of the box" across multiple countries. And yes Bad ESN is a concern if being bought in India. No idea if you knew this but one can do ESN checks using swappa.com if buying in India. In my case my brother-in-law will be making a trip to India soon and I thought best thing to do is to ask him to get the phone. But in case I would have bought this in India, I would have done an ESN check at swappa.com before buying the phone. Incidentally got a 2 day old RAZR MAXX HD for $260 :).

Baba Jee: Will PM you as soon as I get the phone to report on success with using with Reliance OMH as soon as I try this out. I was very interested with HTC One after reading some posts about OMH out-of-box, but was not sure if this was an one-off one. LG G2 was another interesting phone too, but very limited experience of Rimwebians with this phone made me not decide on this phone. Both phones are pretty unique and would have loved to have them.

Hiteshji: The whole issue with flashing makes me wary. Yeah one can flash for cricket/metro and use it in US, but as soon as one gets back to India, flashing is needed again. And in case of newbies like me, mistakes could happen and I could end up bricking the phone. NV mode changes have me so scared that I have not updated the OS of my EVO till date. I believe all that I need to do is reset MIN value to old value after update but am afraid with issues related to A-Key. I do not have the A-key value and I forgot who I bought the phone from :(. Droid DNA is a great phone with wireless charging, only reason did not go for that was because of NV Mode in India :(.

Edited by feeagle99

<< Topic Merged >>

Hi Guys,

I have a Motorola Photon which is having cracked CDMA and unlocked GSM. Can I take this phone to US and use with a carrier provider there ?

Since its been unlocked will it be a problem. Please let me know.

<< Topic Merged >>

Hi Guys,

I have a Motorola Photon which is having cracked CDMA and unlocked GSM. Can I take this phone to US and use with a carrier provider there ?

Since its been unlocked will it be a problem. Please let me know.

I don't think it will work on US gsm networks without tweaking. RAZR M for example can be made to run on US gsm networks after nv editing. Dunno if the same tweaking would be applicable for photon.

Ankit, but i am asking about the GSM part of it. Can I use the GSM without any issue ?

As far as I know it's gsm unlocked for world but USA GSM carriers like tmobile and atnt will not work

My sister is having a motorola photon which is having Bootloader unlocked and with custom Rom. She took to US and now when she search for Available networks nothing is been displayed.

She put another sim also and for that also same happening. Just a white screen no networks shown.

I heard like in photon if you dial *#*#4636#*#* hidden menu..and "menu>select radio band" can select to "USA band".

Does She need to Change the radio to USA Band. Can someone tell me what is that ? Please help

^ ^ ^

Most US CDMA Global phones are always locked / restricted for use on other US GSM carriers & generally won't work without tweaking.

For your Motorola photon, follow this guide to use it on US GSM Networks.

My sister is having a motorola photon which is having Bootloader unlocked and with custom Rom. She took to US and now when she search for Available networks nothing is been displayed.

She put another sim also and for that also same happening. Just a white screen no networks shown.

I heard like in photon if you  dial *#*#4636#*#* hidden menu..and  "menu>select radio band" can select to "USA band". 

Does She need to Change the radio to USA Band. Can someone tell me what is that ? Please help

There is no USA band option in that menu,I can assure you.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

No,I have seen in lots of forums that people put into US Band and now they cant access network. thats why

_^^^_

Link posted by rajan will give you all details about putting moto photon on USA gsm bands.

Sent from my Hydro

Finally got RAZR MAXX HD today and I put the OMH sim today. And I was extremely disappointed.

First - WiFi was not working. It got stuck at getting IP address. I solved this by setting a static IP address. This took care of this problem.

Second - Still open... 1X is not working. Tried adding a APN (rcomnet, #777, default,*, and various MCC/MNC combinations). No luck. I noticed that a lot of entries from ##PROGRAM were blank! Example MIN, IMSI_11_12, MDN... Also got a message - Failed to get call NAM information. These entries were present while using the Verizon SIM card and did not get the same message with Verizon SIM card!

It seems like some settings need to be added to the phone to make the OMH work.

Rimweb gurus, please help!

Edited by feeagle99

@feeagle99

before tinkering with the settings i will suggest you to try a different OMH sim card Preferably a TATA OMH if possible

i am speaking this from my past experiences with Reliance sim cards many a times reliance sim cards dont work

so it is advice able to use a tata sim if possible to derive to a conclusion

just a week back i tried a New Reliance omh sim in Moto X it didnt connect to data service but when i tried a Tata omh sim Data was working fine

so could be an issue relating to sim card not the phone

• Like 1

Jagjitji,

Do not have access to a Tata OMH card, what I did do was use an Airtel SIM card and that worked fine. Since then reflashed the phone, added new APN (rcomnet, 404, 00, net nar, CHAP). No data yet. Also called *333 and as is expected they asked me to go to Webworld. Only thing the web world guy said was that if adding APN does not help, then this phone is not OMH. So two big questions - Does RAZR MAXX HD indeed support OMH sim card and is Reliance card indeed an OMH card? I am too big a noob to answer these questions with any authority though...

My guess is given that some people have had success with this handset maybe it has something to do with versions of OMH cards out there, i.e. not all OMH cards are equal.

I will drop emails to Nodal officers/appellate authority... and given that I have verified on Airtel, if there is no quick resolution, it will be goodbye Reliance and hello Airtel + LNP :SI:
It s**ks though, been a Reliance customer since one month of launch of their service...

@feeagle99, did you try *288, had a similar problem while trying to provision Sprint LG G2 for OMH Sim cards where I got a message that reads some thing like, 'can not create data connection' and my MIN & other details were blank, I've done *228 and then everything working now. Try it once, if you haven't tried yet.