Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
csmart

[HELP] OpenOffice with Macro

I tried to open an excel sheet with Macros in OpenOffice 4.1. The sheet opens but macros don't work. I tried individually running some macros from but those gave error. The same sheet works perfectly fine in MS Office. The security level is kept minimal in Open Office.

The main reason for using Open Office is that my dad wants to migrate to Linux. But the problem is that in Gujarat, for every dispatch, you need to provide form 402 or 403. THese are online forms and then you have to download an excel sheet with macros. Their site also mention using MS Office only. This is like govt forcing you to use MS products. The VAT filings also have the similar issues.

Need help to resolve this.

TIA...

Try saving MS excel file in ODF or ODS format, then you can check in OpenOffice, to see if it works.

Note : Though I have used macro / excel programs / open office, but have not encountered problem you mentioned. But, if I were you, I will try such options, as you never know what works & what not. Next option is Google.

PS : Even, I have observed similar problem, elsewhere. For passport application, we have to d/l a form that is in pdf & than fill it up for submission of data. However, that file opens only in Acrobat & not any other pdf program ( I have checked pdf xchange). It's probably, due to competancy issue with govt departments.

I tried saving/converting but no luck. It gives error while manually running macro. While googling, I found that entire code has to be rewritten as OpenOffice do not support entire VBA code.

None of the govt departments bothered to think outside MS. Even though ex-president had requested to consider open source platform, govt departments simply not bothered.

Then, probably you are out of luck & may have to install MS product. Telling based on my experience, mentioned in PS above. Tried many google results, but eventually had to install Adobe to open that form & fill, no other pdf reader / editor were able to open that file.

But, my words are only "my" experience & not the ultimate truth..

BTW : Govt can't think beyond MS & MS knows it very well, & therefore, MS has recently threatened to PSU banks to upgrade to Win 7 or 8, since they are going to stop supporting Xp. Even, publishing a study for 1000+ Cr loss govt banks likely to make due to continual use of Xp..Read on net..

The main idea of posting was that if someone in our forum has used Open Office then it would have been a boon. I knew chances were slim.

Besides, I don't know how our govt is working. This way we are loosing lot of foreign reserves.

have you tried this?

Can I use my Microsoft Office macros?

The OpenOffice.org macros are written in OpenOffice.org BASIC, a macro language that uses the same programming logic as Microsoft Visual Basic. However, some elements differ, as for example the calls to software commands and object names. So you would have to rewrite the macros. Macros written for MS Word for instance cannot be executed via OpenOffice.org; you'll need to re-write them. This has its benefits - it makes OOo documents less virus prone.

OpenOffice.org 3 Calc can execute many Excel macros, but (for security reasons) you must manually enable this feature. Choose Tools > Options > Load/Save > VBA Properties and enable the Executable code checkbox.

^^^^ yes tried but no luck. And Writing code is not possible...

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2