Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
hiteshkkk1

USA B1 / B2 Visa Discussion

I pinged the q on VA twitter handle n got this link in reply..

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/getting-into-the-country/health-and-visa.html

After completing questions, what I got was :

post-64662-0-39377600-1391592983_thumb.p

• Like 1

Any good site for booking us tickets

Any good site for booking us tickets

Step 1

First start with various online sites like makemytri... or yatr... or cleartri...

Step 2

Check the flight timings, price, direct or having stop overs & connecting time in airports. Be careful that the tickets are refundable or non-refund..

Step 3

Then, to your choice, shortlist flight(s)

Step 4

Follow step 1 to compare the price (for the shortlisted flight) offered by various online sites.

Step 5

Finally check with your local travel agent to verify your selection to clear all your doubts. Mostly they won't match the price, so go the shortlisted ticket online & buy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by admirer2000
  • Like 1

I booked thru goibibo

They were running discount of flat 5k

I called their call centre n asked for more.. They gave me additional 5k

I compared all sites n most of them were costly than official virgin site.

This one i got 7k less than official virgin site.

Call them n get good deal... Don't book online

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Since my departure date is nearing, want suggestions on currency in below points..

1. I'm planning to get forex card from kotak / axis /HDFC. Even then, how much cash $ is recommended to be kept with both of us? Also any source to get good rates for $ in Mumbai /pune?

2. Any suggestions on which bank forex card to go for considering best rates..?

In USA airports for trolleys, you have to pay 5 dollars like. So fOr that you need to have 5 dollar changes.

Try to get a prepaid SIM in USA for your trip OR see whether any of your local friends can spare.

Also in USA, instead of using vending machines, pick up your needs from SuPer markets.

TAKE ALL CARE TO CARRY YOUR PASSPORTS SAFELY alltime.

Upload a copy of your passports and other important docs to your Gmail account.

Some more dos and don'ts me others will add.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks..

I would like to add... I would be holidaying with my friend there so sim card n all other stuff would be taken care by him... In fact he's gonna pay for all the expenses there... I'll pay him in India to his family at mutually agreed conversion..

I just need cash for emergencies n during layover..

In fact, i may skip getting forex card as i can use my existing credit / debit cards in emergencies..

My friend has already got one addon card on his usa credit card for my use

Anyone having $ around 1k in pune or Mumbai and willing to give at fair conversion? We may deal...

I got my B1 visa approved in Chennai last week. I do agree that a decision will be taken based on the DS-160 application and the visa officer just takes a final decision during the interview. So filling up your profile details properly in the DS-160 is key. The waiting time at the consulate was horrible though as I needed to wait for 3+ hours. :bash:

I got the ticket on Virgin Atlantic as well. Are you able to manage the booking through virgin-atlantic.com using your name & PNR?

Yes...

I am able to manage the booking..

In my case, i had to put my 1st name as HITESH DINESH & last name as KAKKAD

It won't take without father's name...

I also did my seat selection... Tickets booked after 31st march have to pay for advance seat selection...

:previous:

Ok, just checking if booking through a 3rd party agent (goibibo) was the reason or not. Virgin Atlantic customer care told me that online management is not available for my booking since I have more than 4 flights in the booking (mine starts from Trivandrum). For seat selection they said I can call over phone and select. I booked it before March 31. What are the other options available in the booking management page?

Only 2 major uses are seat booking n meal preference..

You can also update your ff number n accumulate miles.. I dont have any ff...

FF - Better to start now, even if you don't have one yet.

Later you can use it in the same airlines or their partners. Who knows who will partner with whom :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by admirer2000

Since my departure date is nearing, want suggestions on currency in below points..

1. I'm planning to get forex card from kotak / axis /HDFC. Even then, how much cash $ is recommended to be kept with both of us? Also any source to get good rates for $ in Mumbai /pune?

2. Any suggestions on which bank forex card to go for considering best rates..?

I have been using axis bank travel card. They are most reliable as far I am using past few years. Now about SIM card, do not buy SIM cards at airport they are damm expensive, suggest go to bestbuy store or staples and pick up tmobile pay as you go phone would come for $10 and it does have some balance. If u pick up regular sim you would get that for $50 with voice and data. It's your choice if to go for only voice then $10 bucks phone makes sense or else pick up regular SIM card. Let me know if u need any further details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use Thomas Cook Borderless Multicurrency Prepaid Card. The personalized service is the advantage. If I need to add funds, I would transfer using Net Banking to their bank account and would ask the representative by email to load the card with the credit. Conversion rate is better than banks (at least HDFC Bank) as the RM in HDFC Bank said agents like Thomas Cook can give better rates since they deal with lot more currency exchange than banks do.

BTW Verizon has the best network in US. It is CDMA, so you might want to arrange a clean ESN handset and get it activated. Prepaid plan is available for $45 with unlimited talk and text, $20 for 3 GB 4G LTE data.

• Like 1

^^Sorry. AT&T has the best network. Though networks are subjective depending on the area, AT&T has the best network (including LTE) overall and more importantly its GSM! Aio is the prepaid arm of AT&T I would suggest anyone who is visiting US to pickup either Aio or Straight Talk.

If you want something cheaper, stick to T Mobile. Network is decent enough.

• Like 2

If you're traveling to USA via London on British airways and if you're not entering London then you don't need UK visa. You should have USA visa.

^^ Gr8 so i think so it clears it ..

after going thru site i also come to know UK has two types of transit visa

transit airside and transit landside; type depends on if you go thru UK immigration or not

just talked with my friend .. her husband is regular international traveler so he was not having issue.

They were 8 family member traveling for vacation to USA And mexico

she booked on British Airways and was going to USA LA. booked thru makemytrip

but at mumbai airport BA staff did not allowed them to board a flight as they did not had UK transit visa ..

after blasting makemytrip for not informing them abt this transit visa... (i am not sure if they requires landside visa for BA)

later on next flight to usa her husband's company arranged tickets on emirates they went thru emirates (via dubai)

just for our information let us know when you confirm with ur friend. (my US friends and family member mostly used via Frankfurt option)

thanks

EDIT : for info purpose - adding PDF visitor visa info

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/out-of-country/visitors.pdf

Can I get the link for this plan?

I use Thomas Cook Borderless Multicurrency Prepaid Card. The personalized service is the advantage. If I need to add funds, I would transfer using Net Banking to their bank account and would ask the representative by email to load the card with the credit. Conversion rate is better than banks (at least HDFC Bank) as the RM in HDFC Bank said agents like Thomas Cook can give better rates since they deal with lot more currency exchange than banks do.

BTW Verizon has the best network in US. It is CDMA, so you might want to arrange a clean ESN handset and get it activated. Prepaid plan is available for $45 with unlimited talk and text, $20 for 3 GB 4G LTE data.

You can put my ff of jet airways 100233092. Just put the number in your reservation. Don't tell them it's not yours.

Only 2 major uses are seat booking n meal preference..

You can also update your ff number n accumulate miles.. I dont have any ff...

Have a great trip.

For currency, I've already got 1k usd from Thomas cook. I'm not carrying any prepaid card since my friend has already ordered a us based credit card in my name which I'll use there n we will settle in cash.

As far as sim is considered, I've already got tmo sim for 1$ n have activated it with 50$ unlimited talk n text n 1gb 3g data + I've added 15$ for unlimited international calling. So, I'm paying 70$ for phone including taxes.

Tmo sells sim for 10$ but many times they come up with sale n offer for 1$. I picked then.

The number is already active with my friend.

Most of the time I'm with my friend who uses vzw n all the accommodation locations are free wifi.. So there won't be any issue i guess..

Thanks for inputs friends..

Now waiting for Saturday... Super excited

For currency, I've already got 1k usd from Thomas cook. I'm not carrying any prepaid card since my friend has already ordered a us based credit card in my name which I'll use there n we will settle in cash.

As far as sim is considered, I've already got tmo sim for 1$ n have activated it with 50$ unlimited talk n text n 1gb 3g data + I've added 15$ for unlimited international calling. So, I'm paying 70$ for phone including taxes.

Tmo sells sim for 10$ but many times they come up with sale n offer for 1$. I picked then.

Most of the time I'm with my friend who uses vzw n all the accommodation locations are free wifi.. So there won't be any issue i guess..

Hitesh bhai we are also super excited waiting for travelogue and lots of phones :P

• Like 1

Some more Tips:-

Take with you small gifts (less costlier) like a keychain with Taj Mahal. . . and instead of tipping you can give them.

Where ever you visit, venture into the ride or Cable Car or Cruise trip or specialty of that place & buy memento / souvenirs. Don't reserve it for NEXT trip. (I have missed some such and now feel that I should have taken at that time itself.)

Also, keep posting your photos on a daily basis to your Picasa account - so as to record your moment & it will be a memorable one for later reference also.

bon-voyage.jpg?fx=r_640_400

Tipping in USA is a must as they earn less than minimum wage

Recommended is 14 percent

Have a safe and very happy journey, all the best

Thanks arun for pointing me to this thread..

1) Well you have a lot of cheaper prepaid plans over here so buzz me if you need info. Do not buy any plan till you yourself see the coverage in the area you will be living in. The coverage maps are different than ground reality. T-Mobile is spotty network and so is att. Verizon is the best and has most extensive coverage. There are Verizon mvnos too.

2) USA is a land of deals. If one is smart enough to look around one can get anything for a fraction of a cost or for pennies.

This is all I could say as far as phones are concerned. :-)

• Like 1

Tipping in USA is a must as they earn less than minimum wage

Recommended is 14 percent

Have a safe and very happy journey, all the best

I didn't mean tipping in the restaurant - other places.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Please give me more info. I've checked on the site and visa is not needed.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/india/transit/no

Check if you need a UK visa
  1. 1What passport do you have?
    India

Change this answer

2. 2What are you coming to the UK to do?
    Transit (on your way to somewhere else)

Change this answer

3. 3Will you pass through UK Border Control?
    No

Change this answer

You’ll need a visa to pass through the UK in transit (unless you’re exempt)

You should apply for a Direct Airside Transit visa if you arrive in the UK on a flight and leave again without passing through immigration control.

Exemptions

You won’t need a visa if you:

• are travelling to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country
  • are travelling from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and it’s less than 6 months since you last entered that country with a valid entry visa
  • have a valid US permanent residence card issued on or after 21 April 1998 (or an I-797 extension letter issued by the Bureau of Citizenship if it’s expired)
  • have a valid Canadian permanent resident card issued on or after 28 June 2002
  • have a valid uniform format category D visa for entry to a state in the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • have a valid uniform format residence permit issued by an EEA state

Please see these details. Also check the link. I'm asking as I'm travelling BA and going to USA.

Hitesh bhai,

pls check confirm following info :

one of my friend faced issue while traveling thru uk going to usa they booked thru makemytrip ...

they could not board their flight at mumbai as they were NOT having UK TRANSIT VISA

pls get this info checked ... if some one has recently traveled thru uk (indian passport holder with valid us visa)

will get more info on this by afternoon ...

Vaibhav

I didn't mean tipping in the restaurant - other places.

Other places like?