Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
rahulkapoor

Sierra Wireless Card

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased a Sierra Wireless Data Card for Rs 13499. Its damn cool stuff. Simply needs to insert it into your PCMCIA Slot and u r online anywhere anytime.

Seems its really value for money. Something good is that u can send sms from your PC itself and make voice calls when ever required. (may be in case of emergency when ever your phones battery is out.... use phone inside your laptop..)

It looks damn tech savey..... where ever i go ppl ask me whats this and when they see me surfing at a remote place that too wireless.... they r like ohhh its fundoo....

any comments from ur end guys..!!! :grin::(

I don't want to disappoint you, but once Reliance launches ev-do, your card won't be able to take advantage of it. This is where I feel Reliance goes wrong. When they themselves claim that they need only a month to launch ev-do after the spectrum policy is announced, why sell these cards? People like you who have spent 14k for the card will feel really dissapointed as ev-do promises average speeds of 500-600kbps (peak 2.4mbps) and you will be stuck with the same speed you get now.

Also note that the spectrum policy will be announced anytime now. I know for a fact that they will launch the ev-do pcmcia cards once ev-do is launched as I have seen them. I guess they want to clear their stock. Thats why they've suddenly begun promoting the cards.

This is the one that I saw:

post-2028-1115279429_thumb.jpg

Edited by vb86

yeah it is said in RD7230 Handset experience that it supports EVDO

I don't want to disappoint you, but once Reliance launches ev-do, your card won't be able to take advantage of it. This is where I feel Reliance goes wrong. When they themselves claim that they need only a month to launch ev-do after the spectrum policy is announced, why sell these cards? People like you who have spent 14k for the card will feel really dissapointed as ev-do promises average speeds of 500-600kbps (peak 2.4mbps) and you will be stuck with the same speed you get now.

Also note that the spectrum policy will be announced anytime now. I know for a fact that they will launch the ev-do pcmcia cards once ev-do is launched as I have seen them. I guess they want to clear their stock. Thats why they've suddenly begun promoting the cards.

This is the one that I saw:

31082[/snapback]

Chalo I will make some things clear to you.

First thing: There is a spectrum issue at this point of time. Once the govt nnounces the spectrum, even after that Reliance is not gonna deploy the network for EVDO in more that 10 cities. Over an above the deployment of EVDO for 10 cities would take near about 6 month (not less than that)....lol.... I think you should better go and ask the same from some reliance guy who is looking after data business.

Second : this device is damn cool. I think you should use it and after that you should comment on the performance of device. If u think u can wait for EVDO than better to go with Bharti who have completed the testing for their WiMax deployment. ..lol

Third: Reliance will only launch EVDO Cards and it will not launch any phone for it. Your 7230 is NOT EVDO phone. I have one EVDO card with me from GTran. That also works perfect when I go near Reliance DAKC office.

Rahul.

Second : this device is damn cool. I think you should use it and after that you should comment on the performance of device.

I don't doubt the perfotmance of the device. But spending 14k for a card that supports max 144kbps knowing that ev-do is not far... I guess each to his own.

Second : this device is damn cool. I think you should use it and after that you should comment on the performance of device.

I don't doubt the perfotmance of the device. But spending 14k for a card that supports max 144kbps knowing that ev-do is not far... I guess each to his own.

31148[/snapback]

Excuse me, do u actually get 144Kbps surfing speeds through the Sierra card??

if i m not mistaken the maximum possible data tranfer speed between the modem in any of the RIM handsets and the desktop PC is 115 Kbps (due to cable limitations??), but the modem can connect to the RIM's CDMA data network at 144 Kbps. So does that mean that the Sierra wireless card removes that limitation, and allows you actual surfing speeds of 144 Kbps(approx.) on your laptop?

also i would like to know that if there's anyway that i could get actual 144 Kbps speeds on my desktop?? of course one way to do that would be to get a PCI to PCMCIA adapter and use the Sierra card on the destop PC, but ......c'mon u could get an entry level PC for 14K nowadays + the adapter will cost extra, so i agree with u, going 4 a Sierra Card just for 144Kbps would not be wise.

Is there any other way to get an actual download speed of 144 Kbps(or near about that, considering the performance of the data network) on my destop PC using my LG RD 5130??

and where can i get more information about EVDO??

unlimited on EVDO will atleast cost 5k per month, depends on speed. and 144kbps is more thn enough for business porpose and even for downloads. well 2mbps conn is still availble but not everyone can afford it. Rahul let others say wat they want, wireless connection on laptop of 144kbps in india is new thing to see though. enjoy it to fullest :)

what gtran evdo card u were talking about? throw some light on it please.

by 144kbps i meant that reliance currently supports max 144kbps, don't know whether that data card supprts 115 or 144.. and i dont mean to say that eveyone needs those speeds that evdo provides, all im saying is that you limit your options.. in future , if one needs higher speeds, then those with the current aircards will need new ones.

Edited by vb86

GTran EVDO card looks same like any PCMCIA Card. It supports 1X CDMA as well. Its a fundoo card. Since EVDO is deployed only in DAKC, i.e reliance office in Navi Mumbai, u can get speed only there. Since for EVDO n/w the RF is available like anything as this time so i get a speed of 700 kbps on wireless (Istay very lose to Reliance Office) . I purchased this card from US and got it configured in reliance through one of my friend. SO NOW I HAVE TAKEN PLATINUM PLAN AND I DOWNLOAD MOVIES, SONGS ETC ETC LIKE MAD......

Anyways, My Sierra is something which i purchased officially through reliance. The advantage is when ever i go to pune or delhi or anyhere in India, while travelling also i am able to surf on my laptop. Actually it made my laptop wireless in true sense.

Imagine u r travelling by say Neeta Volvo from Mumbai to Pune and u wanna work on your laptop. U wanna send some office communication etc. Now I can do so as my office gives me a facility of VPN. So I just need to get connected on internet and login to my office network. and I am always with my office. Thats the benefit of Reliance man.... :)

Forget EVDO and stuff like that. You can get a mobile phone (min worth around 2k) to do the same damn thing. Surf while you're mobile using your laptop! Why would you pay 14k for a device that you cant even use as a mobile (when its disconnected from your laptop).

I use my phone & laptop hen I am roaming. Works perfectly. Plus I have a phone!! :)

...You can get a mobile phone (min worth around 2k) to do the same damn thing. Surf while you're mobile using your laptop! Why would you pay 14k for a device that you cant even use as a mobile (when its disconnected from your laptop)....

Well Anujit,

The issue here is not of cost effectiveness. It is of convenience for those customers who are willing to pay any amount for a service that is truly beneficial for them in some way or the other.

The purpose of a laptop is mobility that is why laptops and it's accessories are much costlier than desktops. Else why spend ~50K on a laptop if you could get a desktop for ~15K?

Edited by amtrag

with the same network backbone, be it evdo or 1X, I belive user will not experience great difference in speed. Even reliance broad band, of 512 kbps do not perform great. I had an opportunity to browse for 30 mins at my frnd's place. Effective download speed at about 430 pm was 200 kbps. with high latency value. of about 250-280 mS to yahoo.com

reliance SIERRA WIRELESS AirCard 555 is not detecting in my sony laptop.same other sony laptop(same configuration) is detecting fine.can anybody suggest me how to install my reliance SIERRA WIRELESS AirCard 555.any settings nedded in my laptop.

<TOPIC MERGED!>

Edited by Vishal Gupta

reliance SIERRA WIRELESS AirCard 555 is not detecting in my sony laptop.same other sony laptop(same configuration) is detecting fine.can anybody suggest me how to install my reliance SIERRA WIRELESS AirCard 555.any settings nedded in my laptop.

<TOPIC MERGED!>

36542[/snapback]

I believe yours is a Sony Vio laptop. For resolution plz go to Sierra Wireless Website and search for sony laptop. You will get the solution there.

Hey there is a Good News Guys...!!!

Reliance is reducing the price for their Wireless Sierra Data Cards from Rs 13500 to Rs 9500...

They are Big BOSS in Wireless Data Service and has become # 1 in INDIA....

Three Cheers for RELIANCE INFOCOMM.... :grin: :'( :help:

Edited by Vishal Gupta

:'( :help: Gosh! I bought it for 13500 just a few days back.....too bad!

Why would anyone spend 13k or 9.5 on a card when you can get the same features (and a million more) with a 2k mobile.

May be you wont understand till you use this. Actually its more about the convenience and mobility.....truly wirefree actually.

Well said basant.

9.5 K !!! he he he .... I am waiting for their "Monsoon offer" (Laughs!) remember guys mobiles were at 18000 and all of a sudden a monsoon offer and mobs at 501.

Kisko pata... within a few days ... we might have a Sierra Monsoon offer from RIM...

Dreaming!

see i was right....!!! the price has reduced to Rs 9900.... for the Reliance Sierra Data Card.

I have heard that they are looking for a low cost device costing 5000 to us....

that would be cool man.... !!!!!!

Rahul..... :clap:B)

<REFRAIN FROM USING SO LARGE FONTS!>

Edited by Vishal Gupta

I just called helpdesk in Bombay and they say price is 13995?

Anyone who got card under 10k?

From where did you find out that the prices have dropped to 9500?

I have been considering the purchase of this card from quite some time but have been reading about it here on the forum to help me with my decision.

Today, I finally decided to register on the forum :)

By the way, has anyone have any idea about the Vdata Services offered by Tata Indicom? I know this might not be the right place to discuss it but would like to know which is better (connectivity, data transfer rates, etc), Tata or Reliance.