Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
st_7

Samsung Unveils Galaxy S5, But With No Oomph Factor!

Samsung has just announced & unveiled it's next flagship phone, Galaxy S5. But to the disappointing to the eagerly waiting tech enthusiasts & Galaxy(Samsung) brand followers & lovers, it has nothing new that other phones on the market are already offering except for the Finger Print Scanner. The S5 features Snapdragon 801 SoC(not even 805 thanks to delays in the production from Qualcomn) which is just a small bump compared to Snapdragon 800 that we've been already seeing on many devices since past few months, only the memory & GPU clock is bumped along with a small 0.2Mhz CPU bump in 801 SoC compared to 800 SoC. The looks of the S5 is very similar to its predecessor S4, which is rather disappointing as Samsung executives have been promising a major overhaul in the look of S5 after huge complaints from customers who have bought S4, although the implementation is different in S5 such that you won't see the stitching type of thing that you notice in devices like Note 3. The only notable difference is the leather like back which is already been implemented in Note 3 & other devices, even a S4 version with leather back is been launched few days ago. 2GB Ram, 2800 mAh battery, 16MP camera(No OIS!!, are you kidding me & same tech as S4 camera) & 5.1" 1080p Screen are some of the major specs of S5. Oh! Well, forgot to mention, Samsung have provided some neat features especially Heart Rate Sensor to check your heart rate just in case to keep yourself in check before getting too frustrated seeing same design with not much improvements hardware wise & also to see another stripped down version being released almost with same looks(to the point that people have a hard time to believe the dent that your pocket took to purchase it). Another feature, S5 is now IP67-certified, again to add another layer of protection, just in case you didn't use Heart Rate option to check your frustration & threw it in water(or in dust) :) .

The following are the specs(from the initial reports which will updated with more details as they come) & some hands-on videos from various sites.

• General: 2G, 3G and 4G LTE connectivity
  • Form factor: Touchscreen bar phone
  • Dimensions: 142 x 72.5 x 8.1mm, 145 g
  • Display: 5.1" 16M-color Super AMOLED HD capacitive touchscreen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels (431ppi)
  • Chipset: Snapdragon 800 MSM8974-AC
  • CPU: 2.5GHz Krait 400
  • GPU: Adreno 330
  • RAM: 2GB
  • Memory: 16/32GB storage, microSD card slot
  • Still camera: 16 megapixel auto-focus camera
  • Video camera: Full HD (1080p) video recording(No OIS!!)
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0, microUSB 3.0 with MHL, GPS receiver with A-GPS and GLONASS, 3.5mm audio jack, NFC, Infrared port
  • Battery: 2800mAh
  • Misc: Fingerprint scanner, heart rate monitor, humidity sensor, temperature sensor

Hands On Videos(First Impressions):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yv3IKud4ZL0

Engadget(AOL) has put up a nice & short video of their first impressions, do check it out here: Engadget S5 First Impressions

Some Pics Of S5:

gsmarena_009.jpg
gsmarena_012.jpg
gsmarena_020.jpg
gsmarena_021.jpggsmarena_023.jpg
gsmarena_015.jpg
gsmarena_003.jpg

Presentation Highlights:

2:22 PM EST: Wireless warriors: The S5 offers fast network connectivity through LTE Cat 4 and WiFi MIMO. Audience members nod their heads like they know what that is.

2:23 PM EST: Photobugs: A new powerful camera has fast autofocus, color with HDR, and an improved user experience.

2:24 PM EST: Fitness nerds: The S5 also has a built-in heart sensor and it’s water resistant, so don’t worry about sweating the thing to death if you wear it out on a run.

2:25 PM EST: Shin shows off a new smartwatch, the Gear Fit, which has a curved back, apparently, and a fitness band instead of a boring old regular wristband. We saw the Gear Fit earlier today, so this isn’t a surprise.

2:30 PM EST: VP of European telecommunications Jean-Daniel Ayme takes the stage to share some more details about the S5.

2:31 PM EST: The back cover is perforated for “a comfortable natural grip,” which may help silence critics who’ve hated on the S4′s cheap plastic body. The phone will come in electric blue, charcoal black, shimmery white and charcoal goal, with more special designs and colors to come.

2:32 PM EST: The 5.1 inch full HD super amoled screen “delivers a superior user experience,” and new software helps the screen hit the right brightness and contrast to fit your viewing environment, whether that’s bright light or a dim room

2:33 PM EST: Improved battery will offer 10 hours of web surfing or 12 hours of video playback. “That’s a lot of cat videos,” says Ayme.

2:35 PM EST: New camera chipset and software offer faster response time and a better camera experience. “This is the fastest ever autofocus for a smartphone.” There’s improved HDR capabilities. The S5 camera can also simulate the shallow depth of field you get when taking pictures with a DSLR camera, so get ready for more “artsy” selfies on Facebook and Instagram.

2:40 PM EST: You want blazing fast downloads? Jean-Daniel has got speed for you. The S5 works on LTE networks around the globe, and can reach wireless speeds up to a gigabyte per 30 seconds. A joke about finishing your movie download before your microwave popcorn falls flat.

2:42 PM EST: This may address my personal biggest complaint with Galaxy devices so far. The S5 has a new “ultra power saving mode” that conserves your battery before you run out of power; it can automatically turn the display to black and white, shut down all features except SMS. Ayme says if this turns on after you hit 10% battery, the phone can still last up to 24 hours in standby.

2:43 PM EST: A built-in fingerprint scanner allows you to unlock the phone without passcodes. It’s all stored on the hardware, not in the cloud. Sounds pretty much like Apple’s scanner on the iPhone 5s.

2:44 PM EST: There’s also a “kid’s mode” which shuts down vital functions inc ase you’re silly enough to offer your expensive mobile device to a child without supervision.

2:49 PM EST: Park returns to talk more about the Gear 2. Camera speaker and mike are in the bezel so you can swap out straps to match your fashion. Samsung added a smartphone-style home button. It’s got 4GB of memory, so it’s more useful as a standalone music player –load up your files and leave your phone in a locker before you hit the gym. Gear 2 can sync with 17 different Galaxy devices, and has a battery life of up to three days. It’s water and dust resistant.

2:53 PM EST: The audience doesn’t seem too excited about the Gear 2, and even less chuffed for the Gear Fit, but Park gamely presses on extolling the new gadget: It’s the world’s first super amoled touch screen display on a wearable device! It weighs in at just 27 grams! You can swap out the straps –standard colors are black grey and orange, “plus designer choices.” And of course it tracks your heartbeat and works like a pedometer. It works with 20 Galaxy devices, and you can run a new piece of software called S Health on your Galaxy S5 to track all your fitness details and download data from the Fit.

2:54 PM EST: S5 is the world’s first smartphone equipped with a heartrate sensor –a little nub underneath the phone camera on the back of the device where you hold your finger. “We’ve worked out the workout,” says Park.

2:55 PM EST: Park wraps up with the S5′s big features: “Style with a modern glam look.. better pictures with a great camera… more time to live your life with a fast network… devices protected for your lifestyle… and proactive health so you can stay fit.”

2:57 PM EST: The new devices will be released on April 11 in nearly 150 countries. And that’s it for the presentation!

Sources: GSMARENA, Engadget, Forbes & Various Other Technical Blogs.
  • Like 3

I hope it should work with Reliance Jio 4G, It supports most of the LTE Bands. How about TD-LTE !!

HTC's response

BhQ0sZXCcAA8Xzk.jpg

Seems that the HTC One's successor is launching on that date...

• Like 1

Same old look !

Total disappointment.

tapatalking.....

• Like 2

I don't think Samsung design has changed significantly after S3. They all look more or less same.

The back of s5 is looking like s4 has got chicken pox... No doubt looking fugly...

Sent from Droid MAXX using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Now new models from Samsung are coming out to bring down the prices of the earlier models only. If you are a Samsung fan, no need to buy this, wait for S6, S7....so on and go on enjoying good handsets at heavily discounted prices.

For me significant change is Water proof n dust proof. Downside of this you can't open back cover. I still think Note3 is a better buy.

Can't comment on looks until I hold it in my hands. Maybe it will give better feel and better grip.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

For me significant change is Water proof n dust proof. Downside of this you can't open back cover. I still think Note3 is a better buy.

Can't comment on looks until I hold it in my hands. Maybe it will give better feel and better grip.

But water/dust proofing have drawbacks. Device gets heated up fast!!

Edited by ev1lb0ygen1us

The back cover of Galaxy S5 is just like of S4, you can open the back over & replace battery.

The back cover of Galaxy S5 is just like of S4, you can open the back over & replace battery.

You mean water n dust proof phone with removable back cover?

^^^^

Yes, just like "S4 Active" released on AT&T...

got this on 9gag

aZP2bgp_700b.jpg

• Like 2

^^^^^

NO... I won't agree... Band-Aid has less number of holes (and that too tiny holes) and its looking much beautiful than stup!d S5, imho... Further the arrangement of holes is also looking good in Band-Aid... Sammy should have fired the one who designed this BullSh!t by now. Even Note2's glossy is looking OK than this.

Edited by KanagaDeepan
  • Like 1

Too much drilled holes in one pic!

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk 2

Its not waterproof...its water resistant... In IP67 the '7' stands for water resistant while '6' is for dust resistant (that varies '5 or '6' depending on dust particle sizes it can resist)... Had the water part been '8'...it would have been waterproof!

So it is basically just water resistant, like the moto g.

The only Oomph factor for me is that this will start pushing down price of the whole S4 - S2 trail on Ebay .... Yehhh !

^^^^^^

But by seeing Sammy 's past records, I don't have my hopes high, especially for official ones with warranty... Sammy reduces price of old phone by 10% only or at max 4000 and launch next phone @ price of old phone + 15000 Extra. Happened with S3, Note3, S4 and eventually for S5 too, imho...

Edited by KanagaDeepan

especially for official ones with warranty...

Official phones with warranty are a bit alien concept for me now ... havnt owned any in last couple of years... I only know Bad ESN :censored3:

• Like 2

One thing everybody is overlooking is that Galaxy S is no longer the flagship series of Samsung. Galaxy F series which is going to come in June/Aug is going to be the flagship from now on....it is expected to be the competitor to G3.

Lets see what Samsung does with that...

especially for official ones with warranty...

Official phones with warranty are a bit alien concept for me now ... havnt owned any in last couple of years... I only know Bad ESN :censored3:

How many phones have you run through in the last couple of years to say that :P

How many phones have you run through in the last couple of years to say that :P

Personally 5. HTC Eris - Droid X - E4GT - Sprint Nexus - Verizon Nexus

For family and resale ... more than 100 :)

^^^

That's the minimum number for him, he is one of the seller on rimweb.

And till F series is not launched, S series is flagship for them

tapatalking.....

Edited by ::Hitesh::
  • Like 2

Looks like Sammy is NOT pricing S5 lower than that of initial S4 price... Source

Edited by KanagaDeepan