Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
vakharia

Droid Maxx: GSM radio is locked

Hi,

After getting a Droid Maxx, I popped in an Idea SIM and realized that it does not allow voice calls. That SIM was actually cut from a normal SIM. I tried the global mode and that has no option to select the network. So I tried the other mode (LTE/ GSM) and that showed me Vodafone and Idea, but nothing worked.

Then I manually put APN and data started working.

I tried a Vodafone nano SIM (again cut from normal) and that one got data working, but no voice calls, though network bars showed up fine.

I thought the cut SIMs are an issue, so I got a brand new Idea nano SIM and popped that inside the phone.

That one does not even allow data now. The phone just states No service.

I learnt now from a seller on ebay that the phone has to be activated on Verizon first. Then it can be used elsewhere.

I am not sure what exactly Verizon installs on the mobile.

But question is what can be done to unlock the GSM.

I don't have access to CDMA nano SIM's so I cannot test that out.

Update: Got a new Reliance SIM activated on another phone and put that in the Droid Maxx.

The voice part works fine, but there is no data.

^^^

Reliance CDMA or GSM???

^^^

Reliance CDMA or GSM???

^Reliance CDMA

Contact Hetal Bhai on gtalk. He is droid maxx expert. He told me long back it can easily be made to work on both gsm and omh.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

im already contacted him long back that he told it should work out of box !

Edited by HarshaRim

Coax him further

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Edited by ::: VA :::

can u give me his gmail id

what android version is your phone in ? ...

Android 4.4 comes out of factory on this phone now.

Update on the issue: An entire IMEI range was missed out from GSM Association's global database.

I submitted five such IMEI's belonging to devices in India.

Now, the global database is updated.

Indian carriers sync with this database periodically. But they can be requested to sync ad hoc as well.

Does anyone have any contacts with Airtel/ Vodafone/ Idea Cellular?

• Like 1

I think u have to keep the phone to 4.2.2 and then both GSM and CDMA RUIM works fine with all calls, sms and data. After upgrades ppl start to have issues.

I have a pc on 4.2.2 and it works fine

Since the phone comes with 4.4 out of the box, how do you downgrade it to 4.2.2 without having root access?

Since the phone comes with 4.4 out of the box, how do you downgrade it to 4.2.2 without having root access?

Who told u it comes with 4.4 out of the box ? It was lauched with 4.2.2 and is upgradable to 4.4 (soon 4.4.2)

I think u have to keep the phone to 4.2.2 and then both GSM and CDMA RUIM works fine with all calls, sms and data. After upgrades ppl start to have issues.

I have a pc on 4.2.2 and it works fine

your phones must have been activated previously on verizon so they are working coz few of my droids brand new phones are worked with gsm as they are activated and used for 1 day

yeah mine is pre-activated. Do u know if its working for me on 4.2.2 would it still work if I upgrade to 4.4? I have heard from few ppl that it may cause problem with the update.

Thanks

it wont create any problem for gsm it will create problem for cdma users like data doesnt work

So finally, after a month of follow up, it was discovered that an entire block of IMEI numbers was missing from the GSMA global database.

Now, that has been added. Indian carriers have synced their database and four out of the five phones which I am aware of, are working.

Ironically, only my phone is not working still.

But I am on it.

• Like 2

Yes, now my droid mini is working good... Thanks friends for your efforts...

sent from my rooted DroidMAXX using tapatalk

Keep up the great work brother.

This is something we had given up our hands on.

Angelic indeed

Keep up the great work brother.

This is something we had given up our hands on.

Angelic indeed

If you have other phones/ even something from the past, then let me know. Perhaps we can figure out a solution for the older models as well.

Yesterday, Motorola forums support pointed me to this URL:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/346215-sim-card-unknown-source-moto-x-cdma-verizon-2.html

Specifically the post around ICC ID was highlighted.

I am not sure if this is relevant to the problem of some phones not working on Indian carriers, but it is worth digging into briefly.

Can anyone test 20 and 19 digit ICC ID based SIM cards and report back which work and which do not?

The 19 digit ICC ID's may not work as per the post on the AndroidCentral forum. But we have to test to figure out if that claim is true or not.

More information about ICC ID is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_identity_module

Another post on Apple forums talks about how 64KB SIM cards do not work and only 128KB SIM cards work.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3390945?start=270&tstart=0

Harsha had mentioned about this earlier.

all my sim card iccid is 20 digit jst checked uninor have 19 digit iccid which doesnt work and bsnl 128k with 19iccid working fine

please help me i get droid ultra it was working fine on 4.4 i gave this phone to my brother he updated to 4.4.4 and now it doesn't works on any sim either gsm or cdma sim toolkit is showing it gives error this sim card is from unknown source please help me no network is showing

please help me i get droid ultra it was working fine on 4.4 i gave this phone to my brother he updated to 4.4.4 and now it doesn't works on any sim either gsm or cdma sim toolkit is showing it gives error this sim card is from unknown source please help me no network is showing

This seems quite bad.

I will reach out to all those who had problems with Droid series not working in India (which subsequently started working after IMEI database was updated).

If several users are facing this problem, then something in 4.4.4 is breaking support for us.

problem has been solved after updating no signal was showing i reset the phone and insert the verizon sim signal of roaming shows then i remove and insert my tata sim and it starts working again