Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Bablus

Mobile Chargers

Smartphones are one of the most important part of our life... and their life depends on chargers

Back in old days of Nokia, there was only one choice to make... thick pin or thin pin.. that too was governed by your phone model.. thats no more the case today, especially if you have android/blackberry phone..

You need to pick the right charger to ensure your phone has the best battery life...

I am no expert in the matter, but opening the thread so that everyone can ask their questions here and experts can provide answers...

To start with I have some noob questions

1. 1amp chargers vs 2amp chargers.. 2amp chargers charge faster... are they good for all?

2. Most people think, faster charge also means faster rate of discharge.. is that true?

3. Usage of portable batteries... how do you decide the amp rate in them? are they harmful for phones?

4. Car chargers - Most times I have experienced that phone gets heated up when connected for short duration. Are they harmful?

I am sure many of you have the above and more questions... pour in..

• Like 1

I would say that life has become much easier as the charging/data port for all non-Apple devices are now standardised with micro usb.

You can safely plug in any charger with a standard micro-usb pin with 5V DC output. The device draws power (i.e. milli amps) according to its needs.

For eg if your phone needs 500 mA charging current and you plug in the charger of Galaxy Tab supplying 2 Amps, still the phone will draw only 500 mA and will safely get charged, maybe a bit more quickly!

Only thing to be aware of is that before using any charger with any device, the charger should be having a "U/L" logo on it. This ensures that it is certified by "Underwriters Laboratories" for safety.

Going by same logic, car chargers should not be harmful as long as they supply a properly regulated output of 5V, hence it would be prudent to use only "branded" car charging adapters.

• Like 1

I had an incident with my android phone while charging by local CAR charger. My phone got heated and went in auto restart mode. After the incident, phone used to restart randomly. On repairing, I came to know that one of its IC got damaged due to wrong charger. So, I will advice all to use only appropriate charger for your lovely phone.

Charging rate is limited by the phone itself, so as to not charge the battery faster than specified. Charging faster than specified will shorten the battery's lifespan (how long - or how many times it is able to be recharged for, versus runtime, how long it will run on a full charge), so connecting a 2.1Ah charger will charge the phone no faster than a 1Ah charger will. However, charging with a 750mAh charger WILL charge SLOWER than a 1Ah charger, or anything above.
Since the battery is not user-serviceable/replaceable, the lifespan is critical to the phone. Manufacturers will target a balance - number of charges versus speed of charging, to make sure the batteries last for the expected "serviceable life of the device" which is between 1.5 and 2 years, or at around 500 full charge cycles which is 100% charge and use of that 100% charge, so a charge to 100%, use to 50% and charge to 100%, followed again by use to 50% is considered one full charge cycle (50% * 2 = 100%).
A battery of the type in our phones is considered beyond its "useful life" at the point where it will no longer take a charge in mAh, that exceeds 80% of what it was originally spec'd for. So in the case of the MAXX, 3,500mAh is the "rated" capacity, so when (not if, but when), the battery reaches the point where it will only hold 2,800mAh, it is considered beyond "useful life". That means that if it was able to last 48 hours on 3,500mAh, it should then only last 38.4 hours at the point where the battery is considered end of life. Does that mean the battery is dead? Well, of course not, but it does mean you may be hitting the charger more often per week than when you first bought it.
Another thing about these batteries...they actually PREFER to be partially charged more frequently, so for instance, if I've used it to 35%, instead of continuing to use to 15% or 10%, instead I'll plug it in for maybe 1.5 - 2 hours and boost the charge level up to near 80% or so. If you use and charge these batteries in the middle 60-70% of total capacity, you will extend the life dramatically, perhaps as much as 1,500 to 2,000 charges before it reaches that end of "useful life". So that being said, if you charge to 100%, and/or use to 0%, you are actually shortening the lifespan of the battery, since it's stressful to the battery to remain in either the top 20% (80%-100%), or the bottom 20% (20% to 0%). If you want to get the absolute longest lifespan of the battery, charge to 80% and use to 20%, and never go outside those ranges (except during meter trainings, about once every 2 months).

Read the above somewhere..

is the last line true about maintaining battery between 80% and 20%?

I suppose OEM chargers have overcharging protection also.

What I mean is, one should use only motorola charger with motorola phone and as much possible, one should use the original supplied charger.

• Like 1

Improper charging can be well experienced in a touch screen model. The screen will get locked when using a local (China) charger. You may not be able to do anything in the phone while the charger is connected.

while charging my xt881 with the charger of Droid a955 (both motorola), I did see the erratic behavior of touch screen of xt881, whereas it charges fine with Samsung galaxy S Duos 2's charger..

Whenever I use my OEM charger on a train, the touchscreen locks up. I feel it is not just the type or make of charger but also the condition of mains power that plays a role.

Otherwise, at home I have OEM chargers of Samsung mobile, Samsung tab 2, HTC, LG and Palm Pixi. I use all these interchangeably and all wok fine with any handset. Though the tab takes too long to charge when connected to lesser capacity chargers.

I have been using a Belkin car charging adaptor connected to the cig. lighter socket and having an USB port as output. I have never faced any problem with any of my phones.

I have even used the USB ports of the DVD player and music system for charging the phones!

Well recently noted one thing not sure how far this is true/right.The oem charger and usb cable that came with Samsung Galaxy used to charge so slow.I replaced the usb cable and it started charging fast.With original adapter and charger even if the phone is connected for 12-15 hours charge wont be full while plugging a different usb cable on original adapter charges quick within 1-3 hrs depends on depletion of battery

Well recently noted one thing not sure how far this is true/right.The oem charger and usb cable that came with Samsung Galaxy used to charge so slow.I replaced the usb cable and it started charging fast.With original adapter and charger even if the phone is connected for 12-15 hours charge wont be full while plugging a different usb cable on original adapter charges quick within 1-3 hrs depends on depletion of battery

Whao!!

^^^

Cable is faulty nothing big

Sent by Moto G on Reliance CDMA

Hithesh cable fault is nothing big I do know but the fact is that cable with another plug charges my other phone perfectly that is what surprises me

Hithesh cable fault is nothing big I do know but the fact is that cable with another plug charges my other phone perfectly that is what surprises me

Reminds of Nokia cables with embedded circuits :P

Cables are very important for battery and charging circuit protection on phone mother board. Most OEM cables has current limiting circuit. So using aftermarket cables may affect battery and main board.

People who are using can check using galaxy charging current app. Different cable with same charger will have different charging currents.

Faulty cable or mismatch pin alignment or wave form of power supply or noise in power can cause phone restarts or damaged socket or battery or main board. It some time depends on safety incorporated by phone manufacturer.

Non OEM car chargers are worst thing to use.

Edited by kshah
  • Like 3

^^^ I doubt your version of cable. Agree that different chargers have different Amps but there is no current limiting mechanism in cables now a days. Current carrying capacity is directly related to the thickness of the cable. But this does not mean that it will limit the passing of the current. The low cost or chinese cables tend to heat up faster when connected high current chargers as cable used is very thin. So once cable gets heated, it also transfer heat to charger and phone. So when cable is hot, its current carrying capacity reduces and hence you get low current.

In fact, you can use any cable with any charger but problem arises when quality of metal and thickness are compromised.

• Like 2

^

I am unable to search my post in past where I posted some information (not sure if with screen shots) on my NOTE 2, That time I used same charger and 3 different OEM cables, they were samsung original for N2, Kindle and Nokia N97 cable. They all gave different figure. I will post with screen again if I can find various cables.

I am really not aware about after market cables though.

Edited by kshah

Presuming cables have nothing to do with charging capacities, I bought 10 of them from ebay from Chinese vendor..

while all work for basic data transfer... not of them work for phone charging...

the current supply snaps in 30 seconds

Its starts to charge and stops after 30 seconds..

Presuming cables have nothing to do with charging capacities, I bought 10 of them from ebay from Chinese vendor..

while all work for basic data transfer... not of them work for phone charging...

the current supply snaps in 30 seconds

Its starts to charge and stops after 30 seconds..

Probably the wires are so thin that voltage drops (due to higher than normal resistance) below the acceptable level. Since it takes some time for the wire to get hot and resistance to increase, hence this behavior of 30 sec start and stop.

But in case of data transfer, a very miniscule amount of current flows so it works.

I require a charger for my Motorola Razr M. Which one to go for and where? I would like to buy online or from anyone here.

Please provide a link

Buy Samsung original. Or any branded one. I suggest Samsung only because it is the most widely available brand.

I have used chargers of Samsung, HTC, Palm Pixi, even Galaxy Tab 2 with my Razr M and all work fine.

Thanks

I require a charger for my Motorola Razr M. Which one to go for and where? I would like to buy online or from anyone here.

Please provide a link

The best micro-USB charger that I have used in the last 5 years is the one that came with my Blackberry Playbook. It is a 2A output charger.

Photograph here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-GENUINE-BLACKBERRY-PLAYBOOK-HIGH-CAPACITY-MAINS-WALL-TRAVEL-CHARGER-2-Amp-/310894798550?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccessories_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item4862c626d6

A typical 2000 mAh battery is charged in around 1.5 hours.

Is it safe to charge normal phones a device with higher power output charger? Will it not harm your battery or your device?

Is it safe to charge normal phones a device with higher power output charger? Will it not harm your battery or your device?

No it will not harm your device or battery..

Mobile will only **** down as much ampere as it design for..

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My Moto G charger is not working. when I connected with my Nexus 10 charger. it is charged normally but after 20 mins phone is heated like boiling water Disconnected immediately and connected with my external power bank. I think it is not safe !!!

Triggered from my Nexus 10