Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
nitinmukesh123

Xiaomi MI 3

Could not find any topic for this hence creating this topic

I recently bought MI 3 from flipkart during the first launch and product received was defective (SIM tray does not open). Flipkart replaced the item and I do not see any other problem.

I am facing couple of problem and I hope someone will provide any solution for the same.

Review

Not good at reviewing a product, and I have not used it much but overall I am happy and my ratings as follows. Please note this is my first smartphone.

Specifications

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/e5ed2985

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_3-5678.php

1. Performance: Not sure at this moment as I only installed skype for now and used it for video calling through WIFI and I am pretty happy with the performance. I think once I have installed couple of resource hungry apps then I would be able to comment.

Rating 9/10

2. Loading time: Pretty quick

Rating 9/10

3. Look and feel of handset: As per my liking ;)

Rating 9/10

Will evaluate and post more later

Issues

1. The default PC suite is in Chinese and I could not find any way to change the language, To install PC suite connect mobile to PC, ignore all device driver errors and once it is listed in Windows install the software using setup.exe.

2. No user guide/product specification document is available or may be I can't find any. I really need this to review all setting/options available in mobile.

3. Support is pretty bad as I mailed xiaomi regarding some issue and not received any response till date.

BENCHMARK

post-11328-0-56929900-1406992201_thumb.p

post-11328-0-11610500-1406992261_thumb.p

post-11328-0-14439200-1406992323_thumb.p

Edited by nitinmukesh123

For the price it is offered, it is a great buy. But is it comparable to high end devices. The specs are high end.

How is the call quality and battery performance?

The problem with Xiaomi mi3 is buggy software. Further the free RAM after boot with no apps installed is 272 MB only. Whereas in my droid maxx is 900 MB, even though I have installed 100+ apps in my phone. Just compared with my friends phone yesterday. So miui is worse than touchwiz as a skin, IMHO.

Plus point is it's root ready, but since they didn't release kernel source code, options for custom ROM is nil.

Their developer ROM is as bad as nightlies. When you visit their forums, you can find that they didn't care about bug fixing much.

But these limitations never affect average users, but not for android lovers / purists, IMHO

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

^I am not sure about couple of things you mentioned

1. RAM

If you check the screen captures I attached, a lot of RAM is available (middle image). (Sorry if I am incorrect)

2. Bugs

Yes there are a lot of bugs but I see they have been working pretty hard to fix these. Have updated the device software 2 times in past 5 days. The support is bad though and I hope they will improve it.

Battery performance

I find it pretty good.

Call quality

Good. Not sure if the signal is low how well the device perform.

Not faced any device getting heated issue for long duration calls. (~30 minutes)

Edited by nitinmukesh123

The free RAM I have seen is from settings->apps->Running tab in both phones.

Reg their bug fix support or lack of it, I will give the link to their forum pages when I get access to computer.

Please could you tell the price of droid maxx.

Here is the link showing the Bug-Fixing in-efficiency of MI team... Here is list of threads discussing MI bugs...

@Nitin I bought DroidMAXX for 30k (actually for 8k after selling my Note2) 7 months back... Now it may be available from 23 to 25k, not sure.. Please check BuySell forums...

Wow this ram issue sounds worry some. If it seriously is hogging so much when on a 2gb ram device.

I was going gaga about xiaomi making awesome speced phone for so less.

Wow this ram issue sounds worry some. If it seriously is hogging so much when on a 2gb ram device.

I was going gaga about xiaomi making awesome speced phone for so less.

They can make awesome phones , every part is available for them in flea market ,

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk 2

I was lucky to get my order canceled by fk...

They sent me mail telling i didn't respond to them even when i actually got a call n confirmed...

Bad practice seems by fk

What I have noticed is on the specification page of the mi3 on flipkart they clearly mention that for nano or micro sim user should use the sim adaptor provided. But in the package they are not including the same. I have contacted many people who got the mi3 and no one received the adaptor. This is clear cheating on the part of xiaomi and flipkart. Misleading it's customers.

• Like 1

Xiaomi Mi3 & Redmi Series to Get Android L Update, Announced by Hugo Barra

http://gadgetlite.blogspot.in/2014/08/xiaomi-mi3-redmi-series-to-get-android.html

Something interesting I found on above link

Announcement: All Mi devices are bootloader unlocked and we encourage rooting. And, if you mess up and brick your device by mistake, just bring it to a service centre and we'll re-flash it back to life for you, free of charge obviously said by Hugo Barra

Android L

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_L

Edited by nitinmukesh123

MIUI is a massive RAM hog. My cousin got this phone recently so I was able to get my hands on it for a while. The highest amount of available RAM I saw on it was around 400 MB. I know it would be different for different people depending upon the number of apps installed and other things. But no matter how many times I closed all the running apps I couldn't go beyond 400 MB. I am not bad mouthing Xiaomi, its just MIUI that's at fault here.

Another noticeable drawback is the camera which It is sub par at best.

I will update this post again if I get my hands on it again.

Friends please note. Other non Indian stores selling MI3 in Android Jelly Bean OS. Indian store selling MI3 in Android Kitkat OS. All other non Indian stores selling MI4 in Kikat OS. Indian store not selling MI4. Seems that they are dumping old and unsold stocks from other countries to India and updating the OS, and selling in small quantities and making artificial demand. We are getting MI3 in a reasonable price but it is a outdated model. It is like a Pentium 4 computer with Windows 8.1 loaded.

Friends please note. Other non Indian stores selling MI3 in Android Jelly Bean OS. Indian store selling MI3 in Android Kitkat OS. All other non Indian stores selling MI4 in Kikat OS. Indian store not selling MI4. Seems that they are dumping old and unsold stocks from other countries to India and updating the OS, and selling in small quantities and making artificial demand. We are getting MI3 in a reasonable price but it is a outdated model. It is like a Pentium 4 computer with Windows 8.1 loaded.

Are you deliberately being harsh on mi3?

Snapdragon 800 with adreno 330 is Pentium 4!!!!

• Like 3

I am going to get my hands on a MI3 in the next few days, let's see how good the phone is. As there are plenty of users out there now, 70k of them.

any one who has used both the mi3 and mi4 please tell in real life which one looks better

both the phones have amazing specs but if looks are the only concern which one to buy and if the mi4 is released in india wht price could be expected

ps- can wait 4 months for the mi4

pps- already have a mi3

also read somewhere that the mi4 has full illumination jdi display (dont know what that means though) but looking at the above link of gsmarena both the displays look almost same

A fully loaded mi3 shows almost 1 GB ram in every fresh boot up with stable 23 version . I personally tested that (with almost >50 apps installed). N miui has one of the best ram management system.

N yes miui has many bugs, which need to be corrected asap. But it's the best VFM product available now in India. N one more thing we should know that "unused ram is spoiled ram".

I am following en.miui.com, Indian MIUI forum, unofficial miui international forum from last few months. After reading lots of article there, I am a well wisher of them, n also planning to buy mi3 soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by avishekghosh

Xiaomi has good hardware but one of the worst Android skin, no matter what you do free ram is always below 350mb and they are still so many bugs...

Does that really matter as long as apps and basic functions works smoothly? Does any iPhone user bother about free memory? I do not think we should be bothered about memory management much if the phones works smoothly....

• Like 6

So the black market price of MI3 is once again going to reach sky level..

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

• Like 2