Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ni0987

Review: MTS Blaze 5 CDMA+GSM Dual SIM Android

Played with blaze 5.0 for five days. Here's my experience with it.
Seller: Not very responsive to phone calls. One of three handsets came locked to MTS network. Mailed him for resolution and waiting for his response (24 hours have passed). Good that he is based in Delhi only.
Packaging & Shipping: No extra protective packaging was done. All boxes were covered in ebay brand packets and shipped through Aramex. Faced delivery issues with one of shipments. The phone box is a plain white box with a logo of MTS and import label. No other printing. I liked it :)
Accessories: 1Amp Charger, micro-USB cable, ordinary 3.5mm headset, 100GB SIM.

Phone Appearance: Not cheap looking; but MTS logo at the back destroys it. Thankfully, on this phone the MTS logo is not red but silver colored.
Build quality: Better than samsung Stellar (I have used only one samsung phone). This Blaze has survived a three feet free fall without any signs. But not comparable to any HTC/Moto android handset.
Display: Ordinary TFT with 480x854 pixels resolution. Looks too ordinary.
Camera: MTS is lying about camera. Its actually a 5MPx camera, not 8MPx.
Performance: you will hate it, but you will use it. I dont' play games. so can't tell how it performs while using heavy apps.

Pros:

• Dual SIM
  • Low SAR value. (I am always worried about it)
  • Tethering/Hotspot without issues.
  • Widget switch for turning data on/off.
  • Clear sound through earpiece.
  • Earpiece doesn't leak sound.
  • Good Loud speaker.
  • Good Signal reception for both GSM/CDMA.
  • Uses microSD as default storage for all purposes (installations/data/etc), so you won't feel bugged for low internal storage space.
  • Battery survives the day. Don't forget to charge it for the next day.
  • Doesn't get heated while charging.
  • Takes about 2.5 hours to charge to 99% from 10%.
  • Its Got FM!!! :)

Cons:

• Not Dual Active. You loose one network while using the other.
  • Ugliest interface I have ever seen, no uniformity across apps (SMS/Dialer/Calender).
  • Senseless choice of colors for SMS app.
  • Can't use different dialer/sms apps, as this phone needs dual-network aware apps.
  • Quad-core is waste as it lags sometimes (this is first time, I am using an android phone that lags).
  • Default BT status is 'visible forever'.
  • Its heavily modified AOSP. Xposed framework doesn't work comfortably. Few options in Gravity module make it slow. You need to experiment here.
  • Whatsapp crashes often. very often. See
  • 3.5mm audio-jack has issues (perhaps reversed pins). Generic wired handsfree do not work. I am using BT handsfree.
  • Gets heated during data usage even on 1x.
  • Bad camera.

more cons:

• google hindi input app doesn't work.
  • google voice input doesn't work.
  • google now launcher doesn't work.

See

TIPS:

• Disable MTS apps through apps_info. Though they are not intrusive/hogs.
  • Install a different launcher.
  • Create shortcut to activity: com.zte.emode.NetworkType for switching between 1x/EVDO/Hybrid.
  • Root it with SRS-Root (If you have the itch).
  • To get rid of always discoverable state edit build.prop: debug.bt.discoverable_time=5. It will keep BT discoverable only for 5 seconds, but it will be discoverable for 5 seconds each time you turn BT on. I couldn't find a way to keep it hidden state by default.
  • A matte screen-guard is recommended for this low-res screen. You have to live with a custom-cut piece ;)

I have to leave the office now. Let me know if you have any questions.

And, this handset is still available at:
http://www.thinkofus.in/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_62&product_id=657
update: thinkofus.in lets you add to cart, but when you checkout, it tells you that the item is out of stock o_O

Its the same seller, selling it on ebay.

Edited by ni0987
  • Like 9

<< This fresh topic created after splitting post from topic "Unlocked MTS CDMA+GSM Dual SIM Android Handsets at surprising prices on eBay" >>

• Like 1

Guys though I am not good at posting reviews will try giving a brief review of Blaze 4.5 which I got from the seller.Mods if Blaze 4.5 needs a new post please move it.

Phone feels very light in hands and back panel seems fragile and plasticky to me.If you are not very careful while removing the back panel careful may break some day.I read somewhere the battery is non removable but this a removable battery.Touch Interface seems fine yet to test handsfree on it but sound quality is pretty good when you talk and play songs.Since we are used to installing many aps in android this phone has limited options as total memory is 4 gig.CDMA signal quality seems pretty good yet to test gsm.Since this phone is designed for MTS a few unwanted aps are preinstalled and cant be removed.Overall a decent phone given the price bracket.A budget android phone for people who want a G+C mobile.Will post more pros and cons as I explore this phone more

• Like 2

great review ni0987 :)

i too have purchased 2 handsets for my family members. For 5500 odd, these handsets are decent enough thou i agree the phone lags at time thou specs say quadcore S4 snapdragon processor with 1 gb ram.

The usage will be phone calls + whatsapp + mails hence the screen size at 5" is a boon for the elderly.

Build wise it feels solid and yes the viewing angles dissapoint. sound quality seems ok. battery is decent enough to last a day.

getting a case and screen guard will be an issue from open market but are avaliable at aliexpress from where i ordered 2

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-HOT-High-Quality-case-for-ZTE-N919-N919D-cover-for-ZTE-N919-with-Free-Gift/1906146893.html

the seller was kind enough to give me 15% discount. spend a dollar more and get it via HK post since china post is way too slow. Total cost for 2 screen guards + 2 covers came to 502 bucks which i feel is quite cheap :P:

• Like 1

Also, it has just 1.5GB left for installing apps [MTS BLaze 4.5]

I am interested in Unlocked MTS Blaze 4.5 (ZTE-N818) CDMA+GSM Smartphone for my Reliance OMH Ruim and seek clarification to
the following:

1. will Reliance-EVDO work on this handset?

2. If the handset is "Factory-Reset", will it remain "Unlocked" and support Reliance-RUIM?

3. If the handset Software (Firmware) is Updated, will it remain "unlocked" and support Reliance-RUIM?

4. The Seller (Think-of-us India) claims One Yr. Warranty, will the ZTE Service centre provide warranty support to this MTS
Branded "Unlocked-handset" if Reliance-RUIM is used?

5. Should the handset need replacement during warranty period, will ZTE Provide an "Unlocked" Blaze 4.5 to support Reliance-RUIM?

further, I understand that model specific "Screen-guard" and "Flip-cover" are not available for MTS Blaze 4.5 in the local market and one has
to use "universal" Screen-guard (cut-to-size) and Pouch/Belt-case.

looking forward to an early response

thanks & regards
hejmady

I am interested in Unlocked MTS Blaze 4.5 (ZTE-N818) CDMA+GSM Smartphone for my Reliance OMH Ruim and seek clarification to

the following:

2. If the handset is "Factory-Reset", will it remain "Unlocked" and support Reliance-RUIM?

3. If the handset Software (Firmware) is Updated, will it remain "unlocked" and support Reliance-RUIM?

4. The Seller (Think-of-us India) claims One Yr. Warranty, will the ZTE Service centre provide warranty support to this MTS

5. Should the handset need replacement during warranty period, will ZTE Provide an "Unlocked" Blaze 4.5 to support Reliance-RUIM?

further, I understand that model specific "Screen-guard" and "Flip-cover" are not available for MTS Blaze 4.5 in the local market and one has

thanks & regards

hejmady

Dear Hejmady I will try to answer all your questions one by one

1.Yes Reliance Evdo will work fine on this handset

2. As per seller claim this phone comes factory unlocked to be used in all networks hence it should work

3.This part I am not very sure which firmware you are talking about but should work fine maybe other members can throw some light on this

4. I have had a MTS Mtag which was unlocked and used in Reliance network service centre did accept the same and same should apply here

5.If ZTE handsets are sold unlocked in the market then you should get an unlocked set else a network locked one which can be unlocked using DC unlocker or similar softwares which are available

Hope this satisfies your queries if you need more info please write happy to share what I know

Sorry missed on screen guard and Flipcase as of now nothing specific to Blaze series is available in local market.Nitin Bhai ordered case for this Blaze 5.0 using aliexpress site you can try out there or get universal screen guard and case and do minor adjustments

the following:

thanks & regards

hejmady

Dear Hejmady I will try to answer all your questions one by one

1.Yes Reliance Evdo will work fine on this handset

2. As per seller claim this phone comes factory unlocked to be used in all networks hence it should work

3.This part I am not very sure which firmware you are talking about but should work fine maybe other members can throw some light on this

4. I have had a MTS Mtag which was unlocked and used in Reliance network service centre did accept the same and same should apply here

5.If ZTE handsets are sold unlocked in the market then you should get an unlocked set else a network locked one which can be unlocked using DC unlocker or similar softwares which are available

Hope this satisfies your queries if you need more info please write happy to share what I know

dear Deepak Shanker,

thanks for the prompt response, you have answered all my queries well.

one more thing, where to find "activity: com.zte.emode.NetworkType" in Blaze 4.5 and how to create shortcut for switching between 1x/EVDO/Hybrid (Ref: ni0987 Post, dtd. 10-Nov in his review on Blaze 5.0)

regards

hejmady

Got my 5.0 yesterday in the evening.. 1st impression

1.Build quality good

2.Speaker good

3.voice quality good

4.battery backup good still 35 % remaining as i have not charged it yet started using from 72% with wi-fi, evdo and calling.

5.Camera is average not as expected.

6.Screen touch is smooth

7.Display(screen resolution) not good

8.network reception good

9.Just shows 500 Mb of free space in the phone memory.

10.till the moment no lagging or hanging of handset

Not as good as expect but for a CDMA smartphone that too in RS 5400 its worth buying.

once will use the handset for 3-4 days will write the detailed experience.

Edited by anshu_s09

Hi everyone,

I purchased Micromax Canvas Duet 2 (EG111), regarding that I facing one issue regarding internet connectivity with my Reliance CDMA sim card. It is a OMH sim card but still the internet is not working in it.

I have tried using the MTS CDMA sim card, surprisingly the internet is working fine. Also GSM internet also working fine.

Request you to kindly help with some settings which I need to apply in the phone so that I can use my Reliance cdma internet in the phone.

Thanks and Regards,

Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh just omh sim wont be enough check if you have activated evdo for reliance there is a thread which talks about how to activate HSD for Reliance follow that data should work.Since the phone is built for MTS it should work but you need to activate data and enter APN settings check both

@DK49b, talk to your seller. Did he told you that its an unlocked/OMH handset? If yes, ask him to help you configure reliance CDMA EVDO.

Keep in mind that MTS will not provide you any support for other network.

If the seller didn't mention that its an unlocked/OMH handset, you have to find alternate ways to configure reliance CDMA for this handset.

Micromax Canvas Duet 2 (EG111) is OMH handset.. not locked to any particular operator, if I'm not mistaken..

tap'n frm HTC desire 816DS on R-CDMA / R-GSM

• Like 1

Played with blaze 5.0 for five days. Here's my experience with it.

Seller: Not very responsive to phone calls. One of three handsets came locked to MTS network. Mailed him for resolution and waiting for his response (24 hours have passed). Good that he is based in Delhi only.

Packaging & Shipping: No extra protective packaging was done. All boxes were covered in ebay brand packets and shipped through Aramex. Faced delivery issues with one of shipments. The phone box is a plain white box with a logo of MTS and import label. No other printing. I liked it :)

Accessories: 1Amp Charger, micro-USB cable, ordinary 3.5mm headset, 100GB SIM.

Phone Appearance: Not cheap looking; but MTS logo at the back destroys it. Thankfully, on this phone the MTS logo is not red but silver colored.

Build quality: Better than samsung Stellar (I have used only one samsung phone). This Blaze has survived a three feet free fall without any signs. But not comparable to any HTC/Moto android handset.

Display: Ordinary TFT with 480x854 pixels resolution. Looks too ordinary.

Camera: MTS is lying about camera. Its actually a 5MPx camera, not 8MPx.

Performance: you will hate it, but you will use it. I dont' play games. so can't tell how it performs while using heavy apps.

Pros:

• Dual SIM
  • Low SAR value. (I am always worried about it)
  • Tethering/Hotspot without issues.
  • Widget switch for turning data on/off.
  • Clear sound through earpiece.
  • Earpiece doesn't leak sound.
  • Good Loud speaker.
  • Good Signal reception for both GSM/CDMA.
  • Uses microSD as default storage for all purposes (installations/data/etc), so you won't feel bugged for low internal storage space.
  • Battery survives the day. Don't forget to charge it for the next day.
  • Doesn't get heated while charging.
  • Takes about 2.5 hours to charge to 99% from 10%.
  • Its Got FM!!! :)

Cons:

• Not Dual Active. You loose one network while using the other.
  • Ugliest interface I have ever seen, no uniformity across apps (SMS/Dialer/Calender).
  • Senseless choice of colors for SMS app.
  • Can't use different dialer/sms apps, as this phone needs dual-network aware apps.
  • Quad-core is waste as it lags sometimes (this is first time, I am using an android phone that lags).
  • Default BT status is 'visible forever'.
  • Its heavily modified AOSP. Xposed framework doesn't work comfortably. Few options in Gravity module make it slow. You need to experiment here.
  • Whatsapp crashes often. very often.
  • 3.5mm audio-jack has issues (perhaps reversed pins). Generic wired handsfree do not work. I am using BT handsfree.
  • Gets heated during data usage even on 1x.
  • Bad camera.

more cons:

• google hindi input app doesn't work.
  • google voice input doesn't work.
  • google now launcher doesn't work.

TIPS:

• Disable MTS apps through apps_info. Though they are not intrusive/hogs.
  • Install a different launcher.
  • Create shortcut to activity: com.zte.emode.NetworkType for switching between 1x/EVDO/Hybrid.
  • Root it with SRS-Root (If you have the itch).
  • To get rid of always discoverable state edit build.prop: debug.bt.discoverable_time=5. It will keep BT discoverable only for 5 seconds, but it will be discoverable for 5 seconds each time you turn BT on. I couldn't find a way to keep it hidden state by default.
  • A matte screen-guard is recommended for this low-res screen. You have to live with a custom-cut piece ;)

I have to leave the office now. Let me know if you have any questions.

And, this handset is still available at:

http://www.thinkofus.in/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_62&product_id=657

update: thinkofus.in lets you add to cart, but when you checkout, it tells you that the item is out of stock o_O

Its the same seller, selling it on ebay.

hello

thank you for your detailed review.... but i have one doubt about your 3rd tip... mblaze 5.0 has hybrid mode by default.... how to change it to 1x only or evdo only ???

I am using Apex Launcher. it has option for creating shortcuts for app activities.

Long press on home screen >> Shortcuts >> Activities >> com.zte.emode.NetworkType

it will create an icon at home screen. hit it and you'll see options for 1X/EVDO/Hybrid modes.

this option is also available in Holo launcher but it performance slow.

<showoff>my home screen</showoff>
post-72780-141580276983_thumb.jpg

Edited by ni0987

I am using Apex Launcher. it has option for creating shortcuts for app activities.

Long press on home screen >> Shortcuts >> Activities >> com.zte.emode.NetworkType

it will create an icon at home screen. hit it and you'll see options for 1X/EVDO/Hybrid modes.

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1415802769914.jpg

thank you very much....i will test it on electrify m..

@aalok you are absolutely right... it is not locked to mts... I mentiones that mts sim is working in it... I am facing problem with configuring settings for reliance cdma... reliance call centre is also not picking up the call.... so can anybody knows how to configure reliance cdma settings... HSD is active on my phone. i was using it earlier with HTC VC.

thanx

Dinesh just omh sim wont be enough check if you have activated evdo for reliance there is a thread which talks about how to activate HSD for Reliance follow that data should work.Since the phone is built for MTS it should work but you need to activate data and enter APN settings check both

I have evdo activated i was using it earlier with htc vc... but in that u dont need to configure. I am facing problem with configuring settings for reliance cdma... reliance call centre is also not picking up the call...

:blink: but electrify m is made by motorola.

thats a ZTE system app activity.

if such a thing is there in electrify.m its name would different.

@DK49b - when SIM is inserted, do you see corresponding APN in network settings ? Be it Reliance or MTS..?

tap'n frm HTC desire 816DS on R-CDMA / R-GSM

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1415802769914.jpg

I am newbie to Android and have purchased Unlocked MTS Blaze 4.5 for my Reliance OMH Ruim (EVDO enabled).

can you pls. give a step-by-step procedure to get options for 1X/EVDO/Hybrid modes? i.e., which Android App I should install to get to see 1X/EVDO/Hybrid modes.

looking forward to an early response.

thanks & regards

hejmady

OMH sim by default is not evdo enabled you need to contact Reliance customer care to activate HSD there is separate thread which talks about HSD activation via sms go thro it and you will find all the information you need.You dont need any app to see EVDO 1 X signals they will automatically pop up once you insert the sim.Enter APN settings in the mobile and once HSD is activated you are good to go

Gurus tried looking for the thread where whatsapp ogwhatsapp was discussed could not trace hence asking here Last I heard ogwhatsapp wont work anymore to have whatsapp in both numbers any solutions as yet or alternate to keep whatsapp in both sims working?

Sorry missed on screen guard and Flipcase as of now nothing specific to Blaze series is available in local market.Nitin Bhai ordered case for this Blaze 5.0 using aliexpress site you can try out there or get universal screen guard and case and do minor adjustments

Premium Leather Pouch with Magnetic Flip-cover for MTS Blaze 4.5 is available at http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00OONGBTI/ref=cfb_at_prodpg

Premium Leather Pouch with Magnetic Flip-cover for MTS Blaze 4.5 is available at http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00OONGBTI/ref=cfb_at_prodpg

The link you provided is for pouch which is available in various price what we are looking for is back case/flipcase.This I know already exists thanks for the link anyhow