Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
mywebid

Breaking: Airtel starts charging separately for VOIP data even with data packs

Breaking news for Indian telecom - Airtel has started charging extra over the data packs for VoIP data (services like Viber etc.).

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Airtel-to-charge-more-for-internet-calls/articleshow/45628501.cms

- A very bad move, certainly for customers

- Is it just a coincidence that this news comes with nes of WhatsApp introducing Voice calling soon.

- Airtel has just introduced its own VoIP application some time back

- Other telecom operators may soon follow this.

- This starts the end of net neutraility in India

- Would be interesing to see TRAI reaction to this

• Confused 1

TRAI as usual will hide its face inside its back side... But Airtel will get affected for sure, remember what happened to SMS black out??

But Airtel CC said its NOT applicable for postpaid users (or atleast NOT applicable to corp customers)...

Yes they say it is only for prepaid as of now, old customers would be migrated to this after 6 months but more importantly they say that they would be soon introducing separate VoIP packs.

Airtel must be having something in mind as they do this. They are not naive to take take this big step. I have a hunch that Rjio wud not be as cheap as it was thought earlier. Rather it wud be as expensive as 3G. Airtel must have got this info and thats why they did this just a week before Jio launch.

"Ideally, internet providers should charge all services the same rate. Indian mobile operators say that they have made big investments in creating networks and OTC players are getting a free run"

If Telcos are doing this, what stops ISPs from following suit? This will make mobile billing extremely complicated & users will be forced to subscribe to 'VoIP packs' apart from tracking a million other packs/recharges on their phones each Month.

Btw are other Telcos around the world already following/proposing this?

Around the globe it is topic of debate, some countries do have law for net neutrality

non of the major global teleco or ISP follow this practice which Airtel have just started

Probably good time for people to move from Airtel to Jio/other operators

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality_law

Edited by SUDYEcaZ

Airtel must be having something in mind as they do this. They are not naive to take take this big step. I have a hunch that Rjio wud not be as cheap as it was thought earlier. Rather it wud be as expensive as 3G. Airtel must have got this info and thats why they did this just a week before Jio launch.

I doubt Jio will be charging at 3G levels... If so, then that flight will never take off, imho...

"Ideally, internet providers should charge all services the same rate. Indian mobile operators say that they have made big investments in creating networks and OTC players are getting a free run"

How does charging little extra for that will bring back their ILD revenues, they missed (even 10p/10KB will be cheaper than their ISD charges)??? If VOIP calls are really affecting their voice call revenue, let them BLOCK the VOIP calls as a whole... They will NOT have those guts....

All they want is to dis-courage people from using VOIP calls... BUT CHANGE IS IN-EVITABLE, as change is the only thing thatz NOT gonna change... AirTel is NOT ready to accept the change... Those who are against change will be left in dust in future... happened earlier with SMS blackout and will repeat in VOIP calls, imho...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

This decision will further complicate things for prepaid users as they have to have monitor now 1 more pack.

Airtel has analysed and found that only in Internet charges they can make money. So they are trying to achieve this by this ridiculous idea. Lets see if their analysis is correct or it boomerangs against it.

For customers, the only hope now is Reliance Jio. Jio need not be very cheap. If they are reasonable and not ridiculous like other 3G players, we can see a change. With the kind of investment Jio is doing, surely they need more numbers. So surely for 3 years, I honestly feel that internet tariffs will not go up much as Airtel wants to charge

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now COAI writes letter to DOT over whatsapp free calling services

http://telecomtalk.info/coai-writes-letter-to-trai-over-whatsapp-free-voice-calling-services-will-rest-of-the-operators-follow-airtels-way/128207/

Why reacting now?? Just because Whatsapp have 600 million active users in India.

Viber/Skype/Hangout etc etc have been offering this since long time ...

Also our very own Airtel have a app called Airtel Talk which offers VOIP (Yes Free calls for Airtel Talk Users. same like Skype)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airteltalk&hl=en

When will this operators realize that voice will no longer be main revenue source. Data will drive everything

Charge customer for the data they use(irrespective of technology and content)

WB1CPSK

Edited by SUDYEcaZ

What if hike starts to offer VoIP calls? Will they use the same data shaping for hike as well?

• Confused 1

Now COAI writes letter to DOT over whatsapp free calling services

http://telecomtalk.info/coai-writes-letter-to-trai-over-whatsapp-free-voice-calling-services-will-rest-of-the-operators-follow-airtels-way/128207/

Why reacting now?? Just because Whatsapp have 600 million active users in India.

Viber/Skype/Hangout etc etc have been offering this since long time ...

Also our very own Airtel have a app called Airtel Talk which offers VOIP (Yes Free calls for Airtel Talk Users. same like Skype)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airteltalk&hl=en

When will this operators realize that voice will no longer be main revenue source. Data will drive everything

Charge customer for the data they use(irrespective of technology and content)

WB1CPSK

Don't worry RJIO is coming. It will blow their a** . Airtel has always been greedy. In terms of tariff hikes and reducing the freebies, it has been the leader. In terms of improving their network and customer service they are least bothered. I ported one of my vodafone number to Airtel. I get two network bars on my phone for airtel while using 3G in my home in New Delhi. When I use 2G only, then I get full bars. They told me that they will put another tower. I told them the issue is not with their network coverage. Maybe there is some signal interference when using 3G. Though I am a layman. But their engineers are least bothered and are looking forward to put a new tower near my place.

• Like 1

Breaking news for Indian telecom - Airtel has started charging extra over the data packs for VoIP data (services like Viber etc.).

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Airtel-to-charge-more-for-internet-calls/articleshow/45628501.cms

- A very bad move, certainly for customers

- Is it just a coincidence that this news comes with nes of WhatsApp introducing Voice calling soon.

- Airtel has just introduced its own VoIP application some time back

- Other telecom operators may soon follow this.

- This starts the end of net neutraility in India

- Would be interesing to see TRAI reaction to this

I don't understand if they start charging for messaging apps like Whats app and voip calling apps like viber etc, what is the need for taking their 3G plans. Even if I have to ocasional browsing or things like online shopping on flipkart app etc, it can wait wait till the evening when I return home and can use broadband connection at my home. Why should I pay Rs. 250 extra for 3G tariff.

^^

soon most people would realise that and stop taking 3G plans. then may be the idiots of Airtel would realise their stupidity.

• Like 2

Soon Idea and Vodafone like a dog will follow Airtel's footprint.

People using Airtel., should port no to other network

Atleast this airhell people should reliaze that they cant take customer for ride...

The day everyone starts to charge for VOIP other OTT app start using VPN on phone

I hope this ppl dont start charging for using VPN

• Sad 1

^^^^

Not only for VPN, if allowed for VOIP, then they will charge separate for

[1] Facebook and twitter saying their customers are complaining them more using social n/w, so fb charges @ just 100Rs/hour extra

[2] YouTube saying its heavy usage is loading their precious servers, so extra UTube charges @ 1Rs/10kb

[3] IMs saying its affecting their SMS revenue, so use IMs @ Rs1.50 per message

[4] Online Shopping saying amazon and flipkart are getting free ride while they build their network hard brick by brick.. Charges Rs300/website

[5] Travel / Taxi services saying, when customers are moving their towers need to work hard.. Pay just Rs5/km

[6] Bank services saying that foreign banks are charging them heavy interest and they need to recover.. Rs15/transaction

[7] Google or Wikipedia leads to less visits to library.. So due to our social responsibility we will charge Rs150/page

[8] Online Gamers are demanding less ping day by day.. So to achieve that we charge Rs1.20 per milli-second

[9] Google Play Music, Spotify is affecting their Wynk service and to compensate that we charge just Rs500/month

GREEDY P!GS....

Edited by KanagaDeepan
  • Like 8

But corrupted TRAI will help them for sure...

yes, they will allow the entire cartel to **** blood, officially!

Kanaga - you have given lots of ideas to these guys. Claim some royalty, because they may implement this soon. :grinning:

These operators feel that we have reduced our bills by using OTT top up apps like whatsapp and viber. Then these operators should be reminded that we are already paying huge amounts of monthly rent (Rs. 250) for 1 GB 3G internet which fluctuates to 2G in certain pockets of the city. Then we have minimum Rs. 200 as monthly rent for voice plan. Operators want to charge standard prices for SMS on festivals. Thus I spend Rs. 450 as monthly rent (Rs. 200 for voice and Rs. 250 for 3G). Add to it the expensive data charges for exceeding 1 GB. What else they want from us. One day they will even charge us even if we unlock our phone. Airtel is the main culprit. Mr. Mittal is very greedy. If he has his way, he will charge us for reading messages, incoming calls, unlocking phone, charging our phone battery, buying a new phone, switching off our phone, switching on our phone, roaming, not roaming and the list goes on and on. But they will not take any initiate to improve their network. Basically, they want to **** even the last drop of blood from our body.

• Like 2

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/software/hike-acquires-zip-phone-to-launch-free-app-based-voice-calling-soon/articleshow/45805989.cms

So now will they take hike under VOIP ?? or give it a free run on airtel network since it is owned by his son,

Edited by sangalaviral

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/telecom/net-neutrality-important-says-telecom-minister-ravi-shankar-prasad/articleshow/45901960.cms

Net neutrality important, says Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad

NEW DELHI: Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad today said net neutrality principle, which means access to Internet and related services without any discrimination or barrier, is important and views of all stakeholders will be taken for evolving a governance model for the web.
"Internet is property of world. Global world must be linked to local. Net neutrality is important as Internet is meant for masses. We will need to take stakeholders views to see broadly what should be the governance architecture to deal with it," Prasad told PTI.
He was responding to a query on government's view on the subject.
The Minister is expected to chair a meeting soon where stakeholders will present model of Internet governance and issues around it.
US lawmakers plan to start drafting legislation this week aimed at keeping the Internet open without stricter net neutrality rules that have received backing from some corners.
Under the principle of net neutrality, telecom operators or anyone who plays a role in delivery of Internet should not discriminate or impose any kind of barrier for accessing Internet or services based on Internet.
Recently, there was huge public outcry on social media when telecom major Bharti AirtelBSE -2.55 % decided to charge separately for calls made using Internet connections. It later backtracked on its plans.
TRAI is expected to come out with a consultation paper to take a public view on regulating over-the-top telecom players like Skype, WhatsApp, Viber which facilitate their user to make calls or send message using Internet for free.
OTT subscribers are only required to pay for Internet charges consumed for using their services.