Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
mywebid

Battery performance in North India Winters

As it is generally said that Li-ion battery's efficiency increase at lower temperatures, but what I observe is completely opposite. As soon as the winters get chilly in north India (10-15 C in rooms), the battery backup of my mobile phone goes down drastically. Just for comparison a phone which was giving 7 days of backup is now discharging in 2 days flat. Do others in North India also observing this?

Do you think this is a battery phenomenon of less energy at 10-15 ambient temperatures. I am on CDMA network (Reliance). Is this specific to network (GSM or CDMA)? Or another thing that I can think of is may be that in severe winters the network signals power usually seem to go down so is this may be the cause of this battery drain rather than the battery itself.

Edited by mcwintek

Whew! I never noted any increment/decrement of battery backup in different seasons.

Infact, I keep fiddling with system files in my phones so battery performance keeps varying throughout the year.

As your phone is a basic one, I guess you can find a replacement battery easily. Try with a new battery.

BTW, how old is your phone's battery?

Whew! I never noted any increment/decrement of battery backup in different seasons.

Infact, I keep fiddling with system files in my phones so battery performance keeps varying throughout the year.

As your phone is a basic one, I guess you can find a replacement battery easily. Try with a new battery.

BTW, how old is your phone's battery?

I am observing this with all my phones whether smartphone or feature phone. And I am observing this from 2-3 seasons. Don't know if quality of batteries have gone down.

Well the phone I talked of is smartphone used as non-smartphone (no mobile internet, no wifi). With very less usage (10 min daily average) it gives me 7 days of backup. It is 1.5 yrs old, but I remember it giving the same issue of less backup previous winters too when it was new. The battery backup improved with winters fading.

I myself is perplexed by this observation so thought of asking if other also observe this.

I think the battery being cold reports the remaining power incorrectly. For ex. I have 50% of battery and then as soon as phone call comes it slips instantly to 20% and 5 min of talks and it comes to 12%. Now if I reboot the phone it shows 35%. So it looks to me that probably battery reporting is at more fault; of course the battery performance also goes down.

I have used RCDMA in Delhi for 10 winters. Never felt any difference

I think the battery being cold reports the remaining power incorrectly. For ex. I have 50% of battery and then as soon as phone call comes it slips instantly to 20% and 5 min of talks and it comes to 12%. Now if I reboot the phone it shows 35%. So it looks to me that probably battery reporting is at more fault; of course the battery performance also goes down.

Hmm.. This means, battery is losing life. Drag it till next summer, if it stops behaving - well and good.

Otherwise, you need a replacement battery.