Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums

Hi Guys,

I use Android GSM phone and I my 2G connection is ON whole day. I wanted to switch to CDMA. I have 2 questions:

1. HANDSETS: First of all most of Android CDMA handsets are imported and I have heard imported handsets are prone to 1x/EVDO network issues. Imported hadsets are only good for making calls and sending SMSs, not for smoothness internet experience. Is it true ?
  2. NETWORK: In GSM I can use 2G while I can receive calls at the same time. 2G disconnects only if I am on live call. I read somewhere that if you use 1x/EVDO on CDMA handsets then when people try to call you, they will get busy tone. it true ?
  3. Wi-Fi Tethering: I use WiFi and WiFi tethering
  4. Google Maps: since Android versions on phones are out of date and no updates provided, will I get all Google Maps features and updates available on KitKat/latest/GSM versions ?
Edited by arnuld

Hi Guys,

I use Android GSM phone and I my 2G connection is ON whole day. I wanted to switch to CDMA. I have 2 questions:

1. HANDSETS: First of all most of Android CDMA handsets are imported and I have heard imported handsets are prone to 1x/EVDO network issues. Imported hadsets are only good for making calls and sending SMSs, not for smoothness internet experience. Is it true ?
  2. NETWORK: In GSM I can use 2G while I can receive calls at the same time. 2G disconnects only if I am on live call. I read somewhere that if you use 1x/EVDO on CDMA handsets then when people try to call you, they will get busy tone. it true ?
  3. Wi-Fi Tethering: I use WiFi and WiFi tethering
  4. Google Maps: since Android versions on phones are out of date and no updates provided, will I get all Google Maps features and updates available on KitKat/latest versions ?

if you are using internet on 1X CDMA then you wont able to receive calls at that time...

you have to activate EVDO so that you can get Calls while accessing internet...

i am currently using Samsung Victory L300 non-sim

on which i can use wi-fi hotspot while on call...

if you are using internet on 1X CDMA then you wont able to receive calls at that time...

Wi-Fi is totally different story, It is not part of the connection. Hence, using Wi-Fi will never pose an issue. How much battery EVDO eats ? I guess it is equilant to 3G in GSM and 3G eats battery so much that in 5 hours battery goes from 100% to 10% while 2G I can keep ON whole day on one charge.

You shortlist the phones you would like to have and then distinguish each phones with your concerned points. Around 85% of the forum members are cdma users.

Wi-Fi is totally different story, It is not part of the connection. Hence, using Wi-Fi will never pose an issue. How much battery EVDO eats ? I guess it is equilant to 3G in GSM and 3G eats battery so much that in 5 hours battery goes from 100% to 10% while 2G I can keep ON whole day on one charge.

you didnt get my point...i use EVDO to tether through wifi....it lasts 6-7hrs for my Victory on EVDO..

@Kapil Matey: Oh.. I get it now. Thanks. I have done the same to update my friend's phone. Glad to know it works with CDMA phones.

@shreesh: I don't have much budget, so I think I will get MTS Blaze 4.5 from ebay here . I searched and read lot of threads regarding data working/not-working on imported handsets. I guess I will stick to Indian handsets. Any other recommendations for budget <= 7K ?

Also, what about roaming charges on EVDO ? I got airtel currently and I have roamed in Punjab, Delhi, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu and there were never any roaming charges for 2G/3G.

Edited by arnuld

@Kapil Matey: Oh.. I get it now. Thanks. I have dose the same to update my friend's phone.

@shreesh: I don't have much budget, so I think I will get MTS Blaze 4.5 from ebay here or Samsung Steller from ebay Hope these both will fit my requirements.

Any other recemmendations for budget <= 7K ?

There are many phones in your budget like ZTE Engage, Samsung Stellar, LG Tribute, Motorola Razr M, Electrify M. By considering your points you should now select the models.

USB Tethering and Hotspot works fine on ZTE and Electrify M. Whereas on Samsung Stellar root is required and a 3rd party app is required to use. Don't worry about network point you posted it changes model to model.

• Like 1

Evdo on roaming has no extra charges as long as your data pack is activated.

• Like 1

@Kapil Matey: Oh.. I get it now. Thanks. I have done the same to update my friend's phone. Glad to know it works with CDMA phones.

@shreesh: I don't have much budget, so I think I will get MTS Blaze 4.5 from ebay here . I searched and read lot of threads regarding data working/not-working on imported handsets. I guess I will stick to Indian handsets. Any other recommendations for budget <= 7K ?

Also, what about roaming charges on EVDO ? I got airtel currently and I have roamed in Punjab, Delhi, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu and there were never any roaming charges for 2G/3G.

Pls. note the following before buying MTS Blaze 4.5 at eBay.in:

1. The Phone locks to MTS after Factory-Reset / Software-update (you can't use Reliance/Tata CDMA)

2. The handset "Back-cover" is flimsy and doesn't close properly at the corner

3. The default Network mode is "Hybrid" & there is no provision for network mode selection (1X/EVDO/Hybrid).

4. There is no GPRS/EDGE/3G for GSM (only CALL/SMS)

5. Call/SMS Block-mode is not available

• Like 1

1. The Phone locks to MTS after Factory-Reset / Software-update (you can't use Reliance/Tata CDMA)

3. The default Network mode is "Hybrid" & there is no provision for network mode selection (1X/EVDO/Hybrid).

Oh my... (1) and (3) are deal-breakers. I do not want my friends to hear a busy tone when I am online (1x problem) and I hate locked handsets. I really do not care about call block or GSM slot, even single CDMA SIM slot phone is fine with me. If I buy phone from Buy/Sell forum here then I will not face the issues in (1) and (3) ?

instead of MTS blaze 4.5, better go for MTS Blaze 5. Better battery back up and build quality. There is a option to switch to EVDO only mode with an easy twick, as shared in the specific thread for MTS blaze 5. I am using it personally and quite satisfied.

Edited by commonman

i will also recommend mblaze 5.

@tapatalk

i will also recommend mblaze 5.

@tapatalk

MBlaze 5.0 was available earlier for Rs.5,999/-, not any more (out-of-stock)!

MBlaze 5.0 was available earlier for Rs.5,999/-, not any more (out-of-stock)!

Yeah, I noticed that too. Only MTS Blaze 4.5 is available or I see MOTOROLA Razr XT907 and XT926 handsets, all way more than my budge plus I try to avoid imported handsets. I see ZTE Grand SII available from amazon India and I see specs and price are quite of a good match but anything more that 5 inches of screen is a no-no for me, I want a phone, not a monster:

eas075.jpg

Though it is said that with hybrid mode, the caller would not receive engage tone while data is ON, I have experienced many times that this does not works well. In hybrid mode 50% of times on RCDMA network, caller hears engage tone. With EVDO only of course the phone comes as unreachable and with 1x only it comes a busy. So Data on work phone is not really advisable. Also Reliance has history of freak balance deductions for data even when data pack is running. You have to keep a tab on balance and most of times it is a futile fight.

Though MTS Blaze 4.5 doesn't have Call/SMS Block-mode, one may use "Mr Number" App (Free on Google Playstore) to block unwanted Caller/SMS. To Block "Last Call charges" SMS from Reliance include the number "913600" in the "Blacklist" of Mr Number App.

Though it is said that with hybrid mode, the caller would not receive engage tone while data is ON, I have experienced many times that this does not works well. In hybrid mode 50% of times on RCDMA network, caller hears engage tone. With EVDO only of course the phone comes as unreachable and with 1x only it comes a busy. So Data on work phone is not really advisable. Also Reliance has history of freak balance deductions for data even when data pack is running. You have to keep a tab on balance and most of times it is a futile fight.

Dude, that is a horrible thing. I use data 24x7, I can not afford being not reachahble 24x7. This is totally a deal breaker for me.

^You can't recieve calls with 1X data on, on Reliance CDMA. Tata does not have the same issue. On TATA, 1X data disconnects and the call comes through.

If you are using evdo phone will not remain busy. In 1x yes it will become busy.

If you are using evdo phone will not remain busy. In 1x yes it will become busy.

It's not the case always. As data exchange is slow in 1x. Unless you are actively using it at a certain point. Rest times when I am traveling and getting only 1x , I keep getting calls with data on too.

I have tried many times to get get a busy tone during 1x data connection but it always rings. I have checked with an active download also.

@tapatalk

• Like 1

So many replies. Thanks to all for clearing up my doubts. Two questions:

1. EVDO take more battery than 1x ? (In GSM 3G drinks battery life likealmost 4-5 times faster comparing to 2G )

2. I cheked TATA data plans on some shop here in Hyderabad and they do not seem to differentiate between 1x/EVDO data plans. Is this how it is ?

So many replies. Thanks to all for clearing up my doubts. Two questions:

• EVDO take more battery than 1x ? (In GSM 3G drinks battery life likealmost 4-5 times faster comparing to 2G )

• I cheked TATA data plans on some shop here in Hyderabad and they do not seem to differentiate between 1x/EVDO data plans. Is this how it is ?

1. You wouldn't find major battery depletion as long as you get good signal strength.

2. CDMA data packs don't differ with network mode 1x/evdo

Haa... Thanks everyone :hi2:

Finally I bought MTS Blaze 5.0 from ebay @6750/- , will receive it in few days

I am using DOCOMO CDMA with Note3 in Hyderabad. I used to get calls while the date is on. Even on roaming also. There is no difference 1x and EVDO on docomo cdma. Reliance EVDO you will be getting only less than 1mb speed where as TATA you will get 2mb speed.