Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
::Hitesh::

[Tutorial] Update Boost Moto G to 5.0.2 [lollipop]

Do Not proceed if you don't know how to get your phone back to reliance via flashing PRL and DATA.

Following below process may loose network connectivity on Moto G

use it on your own RISK !!

Hi,

Motorola just released soak test for our Moto G XT1031 [boost],

I am using this from almost a week now and found working perfectly fine.

Now for us (reliance/TATA) users OTA is always an issue on MotoG, it wipes PRL and DATA.

But this time one of AndoridForum user SuperR made zip which don;t update Modem/Baseband and bootloader.

So you can enjoy lollipop on you 4.4.4 radio and bootloader.

If you want to update radio/baseband to 5.0.2 you need to flash PRL and DATA again.

To use this zip following are requirements.

1- Moto G should be bootloader unlocked

2- Custom recovery should be installed - I prefer TWRP 2.7.1.1

3- OTG pen drive of minimum 1GB. [or ADB skills to push files to phone]

Both of above can be done using THIS post.

And HERE is TWRP 2.7which I use.

Before doing this, will suggest you to take full backup of your phone .

1- Contacts - Already on google server.

2- SMS - Use Go SMS or with equivalent tools (CM Backup also works fine)

3- if you want to same applications already installed, use APK backup or EX Explorer to copy all APK.

4- Photos & Other files - just copy to your PC using MTP mode of moto g

So now you are ready to update your phone.

Download below files

5.0.2 ROM - HERE

SuperSU zip - HERE

If you are into Xposed firmware get latest from XDA post - HERE

Now after your backup, boot phone to recovery [TWRP]

1- Copy all zip to your OTG pen drive.

2- Wipe all partitions including DATA

3- Wipe DATA partition 2nd time for safer side.

4- then reboot your phone to TWRP with OTG connected.

5- From TWRP install option, and select FALCON_220.42.18.ZIP

6- installation will take about 2min.

7- then dont reboot the phone.

8- go back to main menu in TWRP.

9- again select SuperSU.zip

10- this time select wipe dalvik option

11- and reboot your phone .

This reboot will take 5-10 minutes. dont panic.

After booting it will go for HandsFree activation, wait another 5min and it will give option for NEXT.

if you reached till this step then you have installed lollipop on you moto g.

now if you want to use xposed firmware to mod you system. boot to recovery and flash Xposed install zip from XDA post.

after installing xposed zip you need to select wipe dalvik option other wise phone will show out of space error.

you can skip Xposed step if you like normal version of moto G. (i am heavy user of xposed so mention extra steps for others)

now reboot your phone to system.

after reboot you will again get HandsFree activation. wait for 5min and click next.

now let android Setup Wizard run.

Add your google accounts and other details.

you will be on lollipop home screen. (which looks almost same as kitkat home screen :P )

now time to get rid of Handsfree activation and get back tether options.

to do so follow these threads. HFA Tether

While removing HandsFree activation, you will not find sprintOMADM2.APK in Priv-App folder

there is SprintOMADM2 folder in Priv-app, inside this folder you will get SprintOMAD2.apk, rename this apk and you are done.

Tether works as shown in above thread.

Now as we are using kitkat radio/baseband & Bootloader, one small issue occurs.

you will find small flicking on phone. this will go aways ones you turn your screen OFF and ON.

to get rid of this issue, we need to update radio and bootloader to lollipop 5.0.2 version.

But after updating radio and bootloader to lollipop, you need to load PRL and DATA again.

So select what you want and enjoy lollipop on moto G. !!

now you can either download all your apps from playstore or install it from your backup.

restore your data & SMS as per your liking and you are good to go.

I am on 5,0,2 with kitkat radio and bootloader. My phone is working fine with this combo.

here is the proof.

t5ir7r.jpg

Edited by ::Hitesh::
  • Like 9

Do Not proceed if you don't know how to get your phone back to reliance via flashing PRL and DATA.

Following below process may loose network connectivity on Moto G

use it on your own RISK !!

If you want to try 5.0.2 modem HERE is the link

to flash this zip you need to be on 4.4.4 radio and bootloader.

if you are on 4.3 radio and bootloader first flash THIS zip and then flash 5.0.2 modem zip.

But after doing this you need to flash PRL and DATA again.

On lollipop ##DIAG# works perfectly fine. also old method of PRL and DATA works.

HERE is tutorial for same.

Edited by ::Hitesh::
  • Like 2

Remove this line from Modem of OS update binary scrip and Service PRL will not Reset

ui_print("Erasing modemst1 ...");
assert(format("raw", "EMMC", "modemst1", "0", "/modemst1"));
ui_print("Erasing modemst2 ...");
assert(format("raw", "EMMC", "modemst2", "0", "/modemst2"));
You have to disable Signature Verizon-cation in TWRP
  • Like 3

As a request from member posting this zip here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgm87ne8botjg6j/explorer.zip?dl=0

Flashing this zip in recovery , you will get es explorer in phone. No need to download again from play store .

This will help installing or restoring apps you backup earlier.

thanks Hitesh.

updated successfully. everything works fine.

thanks & regards

Edited by jj788

Hi Hitesh,

I'm on 4.4.4 not rooted/bootloader unlocked. Whether doing an OTA update requires any more work other than the PRL and DATA update?

I wanted to add a few things for people that might of been in the same boat as me when trying to install this. I went to install this zip with TWRP version 2.8.5.0 which was for the titan version of the moto G I believe. So upon trying to install, I got the error "cant update binary zip, this is for xt1031,1032,1033 etc..." . So I actually had to go into the binary update and manually change "xt1031" to "titan", in both the spots that you see it in. (its only in the first line) from there it seemed to be fine. Though it stayed on the bootloader unlocked screen for about 15 mins until i held down the power button and then it magically came on with what seemed like no problem. I've been using it all day so far and haven't noticed one bug. Data and calling worked out of the gate. Also, I'm using my phones tether to send this at the moment. And that is without flashing the other modem or changing anything to the modem. Thank you very much for this ROM. I have tried a bunch and they didn't compare to this one.

Hiteshbhai,

I had done installation and tried to install es file explorer from zip file provided by you but it didn't work.

Today, after installing lollipop, I had done PRL and Data. so, i got network of mobile phone but when i am trying to add account in google on that mobile showing error. "couldn't sing in. There was a problem communicating with goolge server Try again later."

Please help...

Hiteshbhai,

As I switch off the wifi, my mobile switched to 3G on reliance network and DATA get on... and as DATA get on.. Moto get connected with Google Server and I had add the google account.

Edited by drkansari

Hi Hitesh,

I'm on 4.4.4 not rooted/bootloader unlocked. Whether doing an OTA update requires any more work other than the PRL and DATA update?

If u take ota , u need to do PRL and DATA only. Everything will work normally then.

@daleksec3208

That whybi have suggested to use twrp 2.7.1.1 . twrp 2.8 makes your phone as xt1032 in recovery.

I wanted to add a few things for people that might of been in the same boat as me when trying to install this. I went to install this zip with TWRP version 2.8.5.0 which was for the titan version of the moto G I believe. So upon trying to install, I got the error "cant update binary zip, this is for xt1031,1032,1033 etc..." . So I actually had to go into the binary update and manually change "xt1031" to "titan", in both the spots that you see it in. (its only in the first line) from there it seemed to be fine. Though it stayed on the bootloader unlocked screen for about 15 mins until i held down the power button and then it magically came on with what seemed like no problem. I've been using it all day so far and haven't noticed one bug. Data and calling worked out of the gate. Also, I'm using my phones tether to send this at the moment. And that is without flashing the other modem or changing anything to the modem. Thank you very much for this ROM. I have tried a bunch and they didn't compare to this one.

• Like 1

Can I flash this over 4.4.2 or do I need to flash 4.4.4 first?

Thanks

∆∆∆

If you want to flash on ROM then no issues, if you want 5.0.2 radio then u have to flash 4.4.4 partition updater first then 5.0.2 partition updater, u don't have to update system to 4.4.4

@HItesh

Please put Big RED Warning about they will loose connectivity after doing it ! If you know how to reflash it then only Proceed!

• Like 1

@HP Done !

Gurus,

Does the SPCUtility has stopped working ? ... I got a second hand Moto G verizon , i was told the spc is 000000 but its not .. Can you help me to get the spc .

thanks,

^^^

After 4.4.4 update spc utility stopped working. And for boost or Verizon moto g SPC is NOT zero by default.

For Verizon few people were able to read spc in dfs by following method.

1- boot phone with BP tool option in boot loader

2-dial ##626 and enter any numbers

3- connect phone to PC with correct diag drivers

4- open dfs and in spc section click read.

This is not tested by me .

Ibhave read that ART runtime (whichbia default in Lollipop) would take up more space than the dalvic. Does this means the free space we have would be even less than Kitkat? And as such Moto G has just 8gb.

@hitesh bro

I have installed lolipop from the zip in OP and also flashed the modem. I have done Data programming using your guide. Everything is working fine. But the Current country in the dialer is being shown as US and every app that takes the number automatically takes it as US. If i can change back to india.

^^^

do settings as per below pic.

2vmj2pt.jpg

Ibhave read that ART runtime (whichbia default in Lollipop) would take up more space than the dalvic. Does this means the free space we have would be even less than Kitkat? And as such Moto G has just 8gb.

This is true. but only system space will be less compare to kitkat, remaining storage will be as it is. you wont find any major difference.

My Moto G is running on 4.4.2. Can i upgrade from 4.4.2 to 5.0.2 directly?

@mcnu, yes you can but only without updating modem and boot loader.

If you wish to update including modem. Then you need to flash 4.4.4 modem updator then 5.0.2 modem updator.

If done with modem updator you need to do prl and dump again.

For all you need custom recovery.

Sent from my XT1031

Hitesh Bhai have updated but the same stopped at Updating PRL and did not go to hands free activation, due to this everytime phone restarted it tries to update PRL and causing delays anything can do to stop that?

Very nobe question phone is reading + as 011 not able to find how to solve the same?

Need USB drivers for Moto G to connect to PC.

@Pkc19. Everything u need is posted in this topic , kindly do read this topic very carefully

Sent from my XT1031

^^^

do settings as per below pic.

2vmj2pt.jpg

r u referring to the above but the same did not solve the problem of having + replaced with 011

For the second issue did not fine anything in this topic or am i missing anything?