Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
morecrap

HOWTO: Get Reliance CDMA up and running on HTC One M8 HK/ non-HK Edition from Sprint

Proceed with caution. I will not be responsible if you end up bricking your phone.

So, I got this phone some days ago and thought I'd make a helpful guide for people who are using this handset or planning to buy it to use with Reliance CDMA.

You will need:

1. DFS (Google it)

2. The APK attached to this post. MSLUtility.apk

3. Reliance/ Other CDMA RUIM

4. HTC Drivers

5. Android Platform Tools for troubleshooting if required. (RECOMMENDED)

6. Some knowledge of the UNIX shell and DFS

The steps I explain in this guide will help you have the most painless experience with this device to get it working properly on Reliance CDMA.

1. Get S-OFF using Sunshine. It will cost you $25 but it is very important that you get S-OFF.

2. Unlock the handset using this method. (OPTIONAL but recommended)

3. Flash Custom Recovery and ROOT the device using THIS. Feel free to skip to step 23 because the rest will be taken care of by Sunshine anyway.

4. Download and install MSLUtility.apk

5. Run the above utility and connect to a WIFI network before doing so.

6. Press READ SPC button on the utility and it should give you the SPC for your handset. Please note it down.

7. Open the dialer of the phone and press # # 3 4 2 4 #. Now enable the diagnostic mode on the device and connect it to your computer via USB.

8. Open DFS and send the SPC that you got in step 6.

9. Now get into the programming tab and switch the CONFIG setting to RUIM ONLY. After this click the WRITE button. Now you have successfully enabled the handset to use any OMH RUIM.

10. Exit the diag mode.

11. Pop in your RUIM card into the phone's SIM tray.

12. It should start working off the bat along with data.

Notes:

1. All your numbers must be saved as 0xxxxxxxxxx and not +91xxxxxxxxxx, otherwise it will not be able to send texts or make calls.

2. To get delivery reports consider using the Messenger app from Google instead of HTC stock messaging app.

3. To make a conference "MERGE CALL" button won't work. You need to press the three dots, tap "PEOPLE" and swipe to the dialer. Then press 3 and tap CALL. This will establish your 3-way conference.

4. Use a custom ROM instead of the stock SPRINT ROM. I use ViperOneM8 and it works perfectly.

5. Remove /system/app/HtcOMADM_SPCS and /system/app/HtcOMADM_SettingsPlugin_SPCS, to get rid of the SPRINT Hands Free Activation Nagger. You can do this by mounting /system in TWRP and using the TWRP file manager. Before this step read Further Notes below.

Further notes:

1. After flashing a custom ROM, you may need to go into TWRP, mount /system and in the terminal there enter the following commands. This is to enable adb on the device before you get into the first boot. It may be required to get rid of the Hands Free Activation screen:

ok
mount data
cd /data/property
echo -ne "adb" > persist.sys.usb.config
chmod 600 persist.sys.usb.config
chown 0.0 persist.sys.usb.config
chcon u:object_r:property_data_file:s0 persist.sys.usb.config

This will enable ADB on the device for some further troubleshooting in case you aren't able to get past the Sprint Activation Screen.

2. After this you will need to disconnect the USB and let the phone boot. Then you will need to extract the process list using the command:

adb shell ps > pslist.txt

3. Now open the pslist.txt file and search for htcsetupwizard, note the process ID and type this in:

adb shell
kill -9 <process_id>

4. You will need to repeat steps 2 and three once more and then do step 5 from Notes.

Feel free to ask questions in this thread for any help.

All credit goes to the developers of Sunshine and Team Venom for helping me out with these steps. They're wonderful people and I urge you to support them.

Edited by morecrap
  • Like 7

After doing s-off through sunshine and SIM unlock.. msl utility stops giving msg that Mel utility unfortunately stopped.

Please suggest way out.

After doing s-off through sunshine and SIM unlock.. msl utility stops giving msg that Mel utility unfortunately stopped.

Please suggest way out.

Was facing the same issue, I can confirm MSL Reader app linked above works just fine.

Thanks

I am using htc one m9 which was unlocked using gcprokey.
everything is working fine but data is not working. Can you please help me with this.
I am using recru series sim card.

everything is working fine but data is not working. Can you please help me with this.

You need to use RGERUC SIM card to make sure data works on the M9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to use RGERUC SIM card to make sure data works on the M9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do we distinguish between different Reliance CDMA sim cards? The one you mention above - is there any way to identify it at a reliance store?

Umesh

^^^^ you can see the series number on the back of the brand new sim card

Try apnbackuprestore or apn app to add apn using the xml file for Reliance. After that data should work with rec series ruim as well.

Thanks @Varulpatel

Hello skumar9988, I want to buy M9. Can you please tell whether you are able to get data(EvDo) successfully. If yes, please elaborate. Thanks