Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
manish

Tutorials to Tweak LG RD 7130

hello everyone,

this is my first post on rimweb.com.

i own an LG RD 7130. the manual and the website (the reliance website ) say that it is possible to sync the phone's address book with the PC and vice versa

i have the cd and the cable from reliance . but it does not contain such software

could anyone point me to any online/offline resouces so that i could refer to it and interface my phone from the PC,

Also, is it possibe to upload/download tones/wallpapers from the RD7130?

i would also like to know if doing the above would be legal or not

Regards

Manish

Hello Manish, welcome to RIMweb.com !

You can download this software from LG, to sync data from LG RD 7130 to your computer, using the data cable. It is currently not possible to upload ring tones/wall papers for LG RD 7130 using Data Cable. And yes, it is illegal to upload ring tones using Data Cable like the way it is done for LG RD 2030.

Also, is it possibe to upload/download tones/wallpapers from the RD7130?

y dont u give it a try by using the procedure shown for RD2030 here and let us know whether it works for LG7130 or not... maybe we might get some big breakthrough from there...

first of all, i would like to thank all you guys for the help and the support

some of you are really intelligent geeks., i must add.

I will keep posting messages here on my progress to hack the LG RD 7130

(And. today's been a good day to start hacking .. india won a real thriller against Pak)

Directory Structure of the 7130

( a + sign next to a name indicates that the menu item has subdirectories)

/

|-$SYS.FACTORY

|-$USER_DIRS

|-RDM_PORT_MAP

|-ams +

|-brew +

|-data +

|-locsound +

|-nvm +

|-picture +

|-pim +

|-sch +

|-t9udb +

|-wavelet +

The ringtones are stored in the locsound directories in the 7130 as opposed to the medl directory in the 2030

The contents of locsound directory are

mhlsnd1

mhlsndh1

mhlsnd2

mhlsndh2

since i have two downloaded ringtones in my phone

also mhlsnd1 contains the song data and mhlsndh1 contains the song name or "header" . that is why the extra h is there .

i am not sure of the above fact , but i think that is largely the case after examining file sizes and hex dumps

i have yet to investigate how to upload the midi files onto the phone , will try it out and report as soon as successfull

wish me luck!

manish

did u use bit pim?

what size did it show?

i think it might be same size coz since they have modified the ringtone format for their lg rd2030 then its likely they have incorporated it for all their phones. try overwriting. tell us if its working...

btw great work.

well, manish , could u please send me a zipped copy of the 'brew' folder that exists there?

my email is sur_sen@yahoo.com

well, u could also send me a zipped copy of the downloaded ringtones.. maybe i could help

Editing wallpapers on the RD7130

the contents of the picture directory are as follows:

( i am using bitpim .62 )

- picture

|-image1 16440

|-imgh1 64

|-sort 20

the numbers next to filenames is their image sizes in bytes...

the contents of the sort file are:

00000000 00 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ................

0000010 ff ff ff ff ....

I do not know what it means

the imgh1 file contains the name of the wallpaper (Rani1) in

The image1 contains the actual wallpaper and as i have mentioned before is of size 16440b

I have noticed one more unusal thing : you can set a TRANSPARENT WALLPAPER!

this happened accidentally . i uploaded a BMP full color file and did not upload the heeader..

initially the wallpaper did not change and the phone rebooted

then after booting i went into the messages menu and after checking my inbox i pressed the END button to get out of all menus at once

To my surprise, the screen did not change, and i thought i had screwed up the phone.

then i noticed that although the screen had not changed much, i could see the banner i had set in the bottom of the screen!

so this became my transparent wallpaper! enter into any menu, press END and that becomes the wallpaper.

i did not post for a few days since i wanted to see if anything bad happens to my phone

surprisingly it is completely ok!!

will keep posting further progress!

(and what a hell of a crunch series we are having with the pakis!)

Regards

Manish

Hi manish,

I dont remember who... But someone told me that the images are in JPG format.

Maybe this info helps you better :grin:

hi ashok,

the image1 starts with a BM8 in the beginning in the file, and thus i think it may be a BMP file after all,..

But i will try to decode it and see

thanks for the info

Regards

Manish

well i have an rd7130 and i hacked it. my wallpaper upload was current wallpaper and its size exceeded 16kb so i got my fone screwed :grin: .it was under warranty and for problem with software, those mudheads in ernakulam(zenicon) changed the main board of that :lol: . there is no repair in repair centre :P only replace :quest: i got the phone back after four long days....as expected for a great customer service in kerala. but this time i got back the original pcb also from them. now i am studying the original hardware(if possible) ;) so guys please be careful not to update current wallpaper on that. if it happens run around and enjoy 4 to 5 phoneless days

Hi Manish

Even i wanted to try helping you out in for adding ringtones and wallpapers so can you tell me what software are you using and what cable are you using USB or serial and what software are you using to convert the image files to the format which the cell supports and not more than 16B.

Please reply and or sms me on 02231096686 if you have updated any info on the same.

Regards,

Danny

Hi Vignan and Danny

I am using a USB cable and i am using BitPim .62 as my software

Vignan, i think i was pretty close to screwing up my phone, thanks

(but i will still continue to experiment .. the transparent wallpaper was cool)

I have a problem to solve - i have to determine the file format which is being used and how to upload the damn wallpapers SAFELY.

Didnt do much today.. and i am running a bit busy now.. may be i will do it in a week or so.

But i will first back up my entire phone , just in case

btw i also discovered the following thing..

Lots of Java applets (in my case 40) are stored files. they are basicall J2ME files.

I think i can run my own Java applets on the phone by uploading them ..

Will try this and report my progress

If we are able to upload Java applets it should be real fun..

also. i noted (after analyzing the hex dumps of the .jar files) that many of the files contain many email addresses and urls too..

Also , it is possible to view SMS on the PC .. in not a very compact form though, but it still works. there may be a way to send sms from the pc too.. that also has to be looked into

Thanks for all the support/feedback/criticism guys

Keep it coming

will keep you posted

Manish

Sms can be read by downloading file through bitpim.. i have tried that in LG 2030...

But i dint find a method to send sms... :help:

hi guys!!

this is one gr8 site for us mere mortals stranded with the handsets provided by reliance.. :lol:

i got the bit pim .7(no gr8 improvement for as far as our handsets are concerned!! we still have to go thru the filesystem procedure :( ) i wanted to ask u techno geeks how can i download an image using this software.. i tried so hard to do it but whenver i downloaded an image(.bmp or .jpg) it came out just as a black screen(in case of .bmp) or a screen filled with vertical strips(in case of .jpg)!! when u go for hexadump,u will see that all the wallpapers present there starts with bm8...maybe this is a clue to something?? ;) pls pls help me out

as for the ringtones, i was successful to transfer some sample midi files of Mobile Music Polyphonic but other midi files somehow didn't work.any BRRRIGHT ideas???

btw i am using the USB data cable provided by RIM and its working fine.

HELLOW GUYS!! no replies from u yet... only that my msg has been moved to the last by Chirag :'( anyway!! here's a good news (finally)... i am attaching ringtone (DIRE STRAITS!!)that i have tried in the good old 7130.. u too have a nice time. though its not professional at all :( but i promise there's more goodies to come :(:lol:;)

just remember to first download as many tones u can from R-World(three at most i think) and then just overwrite into the sound dir after u syncronize ur phone using bit pim( i am using .7 version).

WELL GUYS! once started can i look forward for some masterpieces?? :)

Dire_Straits___Local_Hero__Wild_Theme_.zip

well for picture upload to 7130, the max pic size is 120*128 and 256 color bmp format with max size of 16440bytes :( . if someone makes a pic with this resolution , it will work.i have uploaded successfully a pic to my 7130 and its fine.

DONT TRY HIGHER SIZE PICS. handset will get screewed up :lol:

hi vingan,

the specs u gave me did it...yes! i was able to upload so many pictures!!! :grin: but :unsure: the image quality is somewhat bad(it only 256 colors no,that's why).. any idea how these reliance guys get such good image quality since they too have 256 color images on R-World.. :blink:

hey guys! are u all DEAD :confuse: ??? continue with this interesting thread no!! :lol:

see the problem with higher color pics is that the memory taken by the pic itslef will be higher in the fone and so the number of pics that can be stored will be less. also most of the pics that is stored in rworld are 256 color.i have tested this. for saving space one has to use 256 color pics. :grin::confuse:

Hi VIGNAN, thanks for lots of help for finally giving me courage to hack but i need to purchase the usb cable and download the Bitpm ver 7 file can you tell me where can i get the cable in mumbai and which cable have u used from Reliance webworld or local market as web world do not have the usb cable. Please do send me the exact steps in configuring the bitpm for 7130 and procedure to upload files to the phone and alos do send me the url of bitpm and please do work on the task for uploading 64K colours files to the 7130 as it would be of great help to all the users of the 7130

Can mail me on dannycrasto@rediffmail.com

My RIM no is 022 31096686

Cheers

Danny

hi vingan,

the specs u gave me did it...yes! i was able to upload so many pictures!!! :P but :unsure:   the image quality is somewhat bad(it only 256 colors no,that's why).. any idea how these reliance guys get such good image quality since they too have 256 color images on R-World.. :blink:

hey guys! are u all DEAD :confuse: ??? continue with this interesting thread no!! :lol:

There is a way to convert 16 bit+ color images to 256 color pics without losing quality. Its some kind of sampling technique. Its done in 2 pass. I used to use Irfanview to view pics on my old 66 Mhz pc whose display adapter could only display 256 colors max ^_^ and it did this stuff to improve quality of high color pics when viewed on 256 color display.....

Try using photoshop......... :rolleyes:

well, it cannot be done without loss of image quality.

use error diffusion technique while converting from 16bit to 256 colours you will get better image quality

Here's what you need to change the wallpapers for the LG RD 7130:

1) the handset itself:

2) A usb data cable (should work with the serial cable too, though i havent tested it on it )

3) Bitpim program (http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/) (free download)

4) Adobe Photoshop (or some other image manipulation program you are comfortable with)

I also suppose you are comfortable with working with BitPim

If not please read: http://www.ngcoders.com/index.php?page=rd2030&aid=intro

the instructions given there are for the LG RD 2030 , so what is shown in the diagrams on the page will differ from what you'll see in bitpim., but beyond that the basics are the same

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's how you do it:

(please note that the instructions that i have given are for Adobe Photoshop.. if you use any other image manipulation program, please follow the same steps and execute the corresponding commands in that program)

1) Make a new image of 120 x 128 pixels

2) Next you need to change the color mode to 256 colour indexed mode

for this you will find "modes" in the image menu.

go to modes-> indexed mode.

select 256 colors and leave all the settings as default

3) save the image as BMP.. ignore the warinings (if any)

4) Fire BitPim

5) Expand the + directory ( main directory) and look for directory called pictures

6) Expand pictures and then you will see something like

image1 16440

image2 16440

image3 16440

imageh1 20

imageh2 20

imageh3 20

the imagex (where x is 1, 2 or 3) contain the actual image data and the imagehx ( again where x is i 2 or 3) contain the names of the images as they show up on the phone

Now what you have to do is to simply right-click the image1 (or 2 or 3) file that you want to change and select "overwrite" and then point to the file you had made above (dont worry , a dialog box will pop up which will allow you to do it)

REMEMBER:

1) NEVER TOUCH THE imagehx FILES!! THEY ARE FILE NAMES AND YOU SHOULD LEAVE THEM AS IT IS

2) REMEBER TO BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA ON THE PHONE USING BITPIM. I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR PHONE

i however assert that there was no damage to my phone by using the above appraoch.. so it should work fine on your phone

Feedback/Criticism/suggestions are always welcome

Guys, we use Indexed colouring (which means we reduce the fullcolors to the 256 most-used colours in the image)

The phone can display all 65k colours but the images have to 256 indexed

for eg a sunset picture will have all the shades of crimson, yellow and black but no green

so the phone can display all kinds of crimson and yellow , but the image need not be very big

smart solution to the problem

... i have given a step-bystep guide to doing it at

http://www.rimweb.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=855

Any info on how to upload ringtones for the 7130?

i have seen that the other ringtones supplied for the 2030 do not work on the 7130