Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ani_meher

Tablet + phone (if possible) from US under $150

I have a friend in US who can bring me tablet or phone back to India. I am a newbie in this area, and would really appreciate any guidance from experts.

1. I am looking for a tab with 8-9" screen. I liked

a. Asus memopad 8" 32GB at $99

b. Nook HD+ 9" (4:3) at $120 (but no cameras)

c. Samsung Galaxy 4 7inch 8GB (at $99 at walmart).

All of the above are non-phone tablets. Any other good deal tablet? My requirement is light browsing, gaming and reading technical pdfs. Is the 4:3 screen nook worth ignoring the lack of cameras? Is a camera on tab much useful?

2. Is there a phablet that is best bought in US? I couldn't find any 7" phone + tablet under or around $150 at a significant difference in USD & INR price. Some are almost similar in both India and US.

Is there any suggestion regarding the above choices, whether I should go for any of the above, or any other one? Or should I stick to basic iPad (which one?)

Edited by ani_meher

If you need a reading device, primarily, then out of the three options, Nook HD+ is best.

Do you have a camera in your mobile? Which device will you use to take a pic; a mobile or a tab?

I own Nook HD+, Its simply the best reading device in this price range.

I can't say anything about gaming capabilities of this tab because I never play games.

The only con with nook HD+ is the proprietry charging/data port.

Others have microUSB port which is way confortable.

Edited by ni0987
  • Like 1

With windows 10 even windows tables are good reading devices. PDF files read best on windows devices. If you are planning to read eBook formats than android devices are equally good. I have no idea about nook HD.

Why don't you look at xiaomi tab 7" @ 12k?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk 2

do consider digiflip tablets on flipkart. huge discount on these tabs on app.

Thanks for the answers, friends. My main purpose is to read books with formulas, so I need big screen. I already have 6" ereader, so 7" will not be enough.

I am leaning towards Nook hd+. Even though it is older, it is supposed to be a premium tablet, so hopefully the material used will be of good quality.

What cover is recommended. There is one 'book style' cover where the tab gets ON/OFF as we open the cover. But some say it makes the tab thick to carry. Other choice is to add TPU cover and use a case to carry. Any experience on this front (on any tab)? Also, is screen protector necessary?

I keep my nook HD in a soft pouch.

And the screen looks really soft with a matte finish screen guard.

Screen guards for nook HD are not available easily, so I cut an ipad screen guard and applied on Nook.