Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
dkaile

Asus Zenfone 2 - ZE551ML - Gold, LTE, 2.3GHz, 4GB, 32GB, 5.5", 5M/13MP

Got the new Zenfone 2, Gold, LTE, 2.3 GHz, 4GB, 32 GB EMMC, 5.5", 5MP/13MP in hand. Just 17k on Flipkart sale.

Asus%20Zenfone%202%2010-08-2015_1_zpsdjg

Asus%20Zenfone%202%2010-08-2015_2_zpsi8g

Asus%20Zenfone%202%2010-08-2015_3_zpsve2

Asus%20Zenfone%202%2010-08-2015_4_zpsveo

Asus%20Zenfone%202%2010-08-2015_5_zpsxqq

Great feel in hand for now.

Initial experience with the Asus Zenfone 2 -

First the cons -
1. The screen though very good by a 17k phone standard does not match to the HTC One or the SMOLED's of the Samsung. It's brightness is a little less though the color gradients can be adjusted. Few shots -

Asus%20Zenfone%202%2010-08-2015_7_zpsobb

Asus%20Zenfone%202%2010-08-2015_8_zpskgo

2. The camera too is quite good but still not as good as the HTC One's (before the pink tint issue). But color saturation is better.
3. Plastic body compared to the all aluminum of the HTC One M7.
4. Lots of Asus apps. And by lots I mean lots.
5. Still on android 5.0. A flagship should be on the latest version.

Pros -
1. I was most afraid of the battery life and that is quite decent in fact, especially after taking the new update it has increased quite a bit -

Screenshot_2015-08-10-19-58-48_zps1dfyny

So take the update immediately. Incidentally the update failed on wifi continuously but went through in first attempt through the mobile data. Still I have ordered the Asus Power Bank for my long trips.
2. Great metallic feel back cover and soft golden hue color. Great build quality.
3. Camera with HDR is pretty decent though not top of the line.
4. Fast charging really works. In 5 minutes it can give you a couple of hours backup.
5. Lag free and very fast even after so many crappy apps. the 2.3 Ghz processor and 4 GB of RAM really works. Some Asus apps are pretty decent in fact.
6. 3G speeds are pretty decent for Meerut (UP-W circle) on Airtel.

Screenshot_2015-08-10-17-53-02_zpsi4rr4j

Initial verdict - For a flagship of a company it still needs to go some miles compared to HTC and Samsung. But for the 17k price tag (in fact I can buy 3 for the price of a S6) I will take this any day over those over priced phones. It does 100% of what those flagships do and then some more. Where it lags just slightly in the body and the screen can easily be overlooked. Fantastic piece of hardware. Recommended as one of the best value for money flagship offerings in the market today. Enough of the CDMA crap.

• Like 7

Hi Dhiraj ji, does it have external memory expansion slot...

Sent from my HTC One dual sim using Tapatalk

Yes it does have a micro sd slot

How is the camera. Can you compare with other phones phones cameras

Hi Dhiraj ji, does it have external memory expansion slot...

Sent from my HTC One dual sim using Tapatalk

Yes, micro sd slot card upto 64 GB

How is the camera. Can you compare with other phones phones cameras

Check out for yourself -

P_20150812_170948_zpsesrkr2mo.jpg

P_20150810_161447_HDR_zpstqxpxg50.jpg

Both photos reduced to about 1/4th of actual image. And the box photo taken in very low light (hence a little grainy).

I think it's camera is better than my HTC One's M7 when it was in its prime.

Some links -

https://www.asus.com/in/Phone/ZenFone_2_ZE551ML/

Edited by dkaile

I am using 550 model .disappointed with the camera.we can get good pictures if the camera is completely steady. Any slight movement will spoil the picture .if one knows manually settings like exposure,shutter speed,ISO settings then manual mode gives better pictures.

but it is very difficult to keep the phone steady.there is no auto adjustments like in Samsung phones .

I did not understand PixelMaster technology ASUS has hyped about it but I didn't understand how it is better than normal cameras .I compared the pics of Samsung's grand 2 8MP cams pics which are better than ASUS 13 MP pics.

I want to know 550 model 13 MP cam and 551 cam same or any difference because there is price difference of around 5000rupees

Camera is below par. I was using galaxy s4 before and I can safely say that camera of this phone is no where near galaxy s4.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3071912

The camera on the Asus Zenfone 2 is superior to my HTC One M7 and Galaxy Note 2 and definitely better than the S4.

Here's another shot of a motorcyle part I installed today and the chrome detailing matches my Nikon DSLR.

Harley%20Softail%20DHIRAJ%20Gear%20Shift

I want to know 550 model 13 MP cam and 551 cam same or any difference because there is price difference of around 5000rupees

The camera on Zenfone 2 is quite good . Only the Note 4 and S6 have better cameras. But then I can buy 3 Zenfone 2's in the price of a S6.

-----------------

Got the Asus Power Bank. Excellent build quality @1750/-. All aluminum body and very superior to the chinese crap floating around. Even though with my usage the battery of Zenfone 2 reaches just 50% by night.

Asus%20Power%20Bank_2_zpsp9nion7t.jpg

• Like 3

nice review br0!

i also have this same version model but red color model..!
nice phone with 4gb and no lags atall!

• Like 1

After ordering the original flip cover (incl NFC) from Flipkart - http://www.flipkart.com/asus-flip-cover-zenfone-2-ze551ml/p/itme6p3y78vhwczg which is just great to feel in the hand and takes your phone to another level,

Asus%20Flip%20Cover_1_zpss4nn2tui.jpg

Asus%20Flip%20Cover_2_zpsosngsf1o.jpg

Today I Ordered Asus Zenwatch 2 from amazon.com @129$. Approx 10k landed incl customs duty which they have incl in the cost while checkout (Total: $134.08 Import Fees Deposit: $22.79 Order Total: $156.87 *INR 10,822.94) Ships directly to Meerut, India - http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Smartwatc...ef=dp_return_2 . I feel the Zenwatch 2 is a great buy at nearly a third of the cost of the Samsung Gear S2 and Moto 360 ver 2.

Asus%20Zenwatch%202_1_zpscylpse7v.jpg

Asus%20Zenwatch%202_zpsngd2debn.jpg

Cheers...

PS - Asus now provides the official bootloader unlock for Zenfone 2 - http://www.androidauthority.com/asus-providing-bootloader-unlock-for-the-zenfone-2-648952/

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 4

After ordering the original flip cover (incl NFC) from Flipkart - http://www.flipkart.com/asus-flip-cover-zenfone-2-ze551ml/p/itme6p3y78vhwczg which is just great to feel in the hand and takes your phone to another level,

Asus%20Flip%20Cover_1_zpss4nn2tui.jpg

Asus%20Flip%20Cover_2_zpsosngsf1o.jpg

Today I Ordered Asus Zenwatch 2 from amazon.com @129$. Approx 10k landed incl customs duty which they have incl in the cost while checkout (Total: $134.08 Import Fees Deposit: $22.79 Order Total: $156.87 *INR 10,822.94) Ships directly to Meerut, India - http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Smartwatc...ef=dp_return_2 . I feel the Zenwatch 2 is a great buy at nearly a third of the cost of the Samsung Gear S2 and Moto 360 ver 2.

Asus%20Zenwatch%202_1_zpscylpse7v.jpg

Asus%20Zenwatch%202_zpsngd2debn.jpg

Cheers...

PS - Asus now provides the official bootloader unlock for Zenfone 2 - http://www.androidauthority.com/asus-providing-bootloader-unlock-for-the-zenfone-2-648952/

Can you compare the pics of Asus zenfone 2 and Asus zenfone 2 laser

I bought Asus Zenfone 2 used for 2 months and sold it on ebay.Just because not happy with the camera.Except camera it was excellent phone.

Now I want to know difference between zenfone 2 camera and zenfone 2 laser.

Is there any major improvement in camera because of Laser technology and pixel master 2 compared to pixelmaster 1 in old zenfone

If any major improvement is there then i am planning to purchase laser model tomorrow from flipkart with special offers

Request you to help me deciding

If there is no major improvement then I will decide from from following model

Moto g 3

Samsung J5

Xiami mi4i

Edited by ramtech

I bought Asus Zenfone 2 used for 2 days and sold it on ebay.Just because not happy with the camera.Except camera it was excellent phone.

Is there any major improvement in camera because of Laser technology and pixel master 2 compared to pixelmaster 1 in old zenfone

If any major improvement is there then i am planning to purchase laser model tomorrow from flipkart with special offers

Moto g 3

Samsung J5

Xiami mi4i

Yup, you can say that the camera is slightly below the other flagships like the S6 and the difference is mainly noticeable in indoor shots, but with the models you are comparing i.e. G3, J5 Xiami etc, these are all at par or the Asus might even be slightly better. And today this model of Asus is going at a mouth watering price of 17.5K for the 4GB, 2.3Ghz, 32GB model. Now comparable phone is MotoX Style which has a better camera and it is going for 32K for the 3GB. 32GB model. i.e. at nearly DOUBLE the price of the Asus Zenfone 2. So for the money, this phone is great bang for the buck.

Zenfone 2 Laser is going at 9199 today at Flipkart for the 2GB 16GB 1.2Ghz, but it seems to have the same camera and its not full HD and doesnt have fast charging etc.But at this price and with 4G working on both sims unlike my Zenfone 2, it seems a great deal too, if you can live with that camera, which I surely can as per my photos posted above.

I bought Asus Zenfone 2 used for 2 days and sold it on ebay.Just because not happy with the camera.Except camera it was excellent phone.

Moto g 3

Samsung J5

Xiami mi4i

Yup, you can say that the camera is slightly below the other flagships like the S6 and the difference is mainly noticeable in indoor shots, but with the models you are comparing i.e. G3, J5 Xiami etc, these are all at par or the Asus might even be slightly better. And today this model of Asus is going at a mouth watering price of 17.5K for the 4GB, 2.3Ghz, 32GB model. Now comparable phone is MotoX Style which has a better camera and it is going for 32K for the 3GB. 32GB model. i.e. at nearly DOUBLE the price of the Asus Zenfone 2. So for the money, this phone is great bang for the buck.

Zenfone 2 Laser is going at 9199 today at Flipkart for the 2GB 16GB 1.2Ghz, but it seems to have the same camera and its not full HD and doesnt have fast charging etc.But at this price and with 4G working on both sims unlike my Zenfone 2, it seems a great deal too, if you can live with that camera, which I surely can as per my photos posted above.

Is there any difference/improvement in camera because of addition of laser technology and pixelmaster 2( old model has pixelmaster 1) ?

I am planning for zenfone 2 laser for my wife. It actually comes to about 6,500 or so after 2,000/- for buy back and 10% on SBI Credit Card (for today - 16th Oct 2015) only. I think its killer at this price.

• Like 1

Bought Zenfone 2 laser 2gb varient in festival offer

Rs. 9199 - 10 % discount with SBI Card ( effective price Rs.8279) Really killer offer

Bought Zenfone 2 in july for Rs.11700 used for 2months sold on ebay for effective price of Rs.9500( just because not happy with camera)

Bought Zefone 2 laser using for 15 days.

My observations and differences with two models zenfone 2 and zenfone 2 laser ( both HD screen and 2gb variant)

1. Both have same display quality

2.Call quality is better in laser model including loud speaker ( but still loud speaker not very loud)

3.4g connectivity have less bands on laser model compared to previous model.

4.Laser is 3 sattellite GPS when compared to 5 sattellite GPS of previous model

5.There is an addition of gyroscope in laser model

5.CAMERA ( Main Point for me)

Really there is an improvement in camera

May be because of laser technology focus is fast and exposure and shutter speed is fast.With this picture is not getting spoiled with minor hand shake or with moving object.previous model even small shake spoiled the picture to unusable.Now noise has reduced to some extent.(small difference comparatively but can be managed)

I liked the manual settings a lot .Even in zero light conditions i am able to take close up pictures which can be taken prints of 5 * 7 inch. Really its great here.

There is a limitation with laser technology it cannot work beyond 5 meters.So there is no use if you are taking pictures of far objects.

But still there is software issues with camera i think. Picture is being taken before or after flash is fired because of with pictures are coming dark.This is happening sometimes otherwise it is very good.I thing this can be fixed with software.

over all camera is OK for me

Actually i thought of selling this phone also if camera is not good. BUT DECIDED TO KEEP IT.

Finally a request.

Pls suggest a good ear phones for zenfone 2 laser with good call quality and music with good bass. I am looking for earphones where ear phones part and mic can be seperated .I want to use head sets when at home with this mic. Sony used to provide earlier but unable to find now in the shops.

I noticed not all 3.5mm earphones are compatible with zenfone 2 laser

my budget is 500 to 1000

thanks in advance

Edited by ramtech

Just received my Asus Zenwatch 2 from the US through amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0163HRGNC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Product Link - https://www.asus.com/ZenWatch/ASUS_ZenWatch_2_WI501Q/Features/

Landing cost including customs 156 $

Asus%20Zenwatch%20recd%2003-11-2015_156_

Full stainless steel finish. Bands are standard 22mm inter-changeable and available at your corner watch store.

Asus%20Zenwatch%20recd%2003-11-2015_3_zp

Charger is 1A. Charging cable is proprietary and magnetic.

Asus%20Zenwatch%20recd%2003-11-2015_Acce

Incoming call alert

Asus%20Zenwatch%20recd%2003-11-2015_9_zp

Thousands of watch faces. Make it a Rolex one day and Cartier the next... lolz

Asus%20Zenwatch%20recd%2003-11-2015_8_zp

I am luvin it for now.

Cheers...

• Like 4

Just a noob question.
Does it work with any & every android device

Edited by rajanmehta
<< Large post entire quote with multiple photos removed >>

Does it work with any & every android device

Yup. Android 4.3+ or iOS 8.2+ devices.

How is its battery life Dhiraj ji?

Dhiraj Ji, how does it compare with the Alcatel One Touch ?

I ordered A one touch and got from flipkart during sale.

I find it very helpful to view my mails SMS and whatsapp summary directly on the watch also to know who is calling .

And of course I love the way I can flip my wrist and the time shows on my watch.

What other features does the android wear have in addition ? What am I missing ?

Can anyone suggest the watch with good features and good deal. Should i go for alcatel or other brand watches which has support to both android and ios

How is its battery life Dhiraj ji?

Well, I have removed it from charging since 6am today, went to tennis and did normal activity. And now at 6.30pm, after nearly 12 hours of use it has 67% battery still remaining and it is assessing to last a further 24 hours. I would say that is pretty decent though my usage was quite low today. This is with ambient screen always on. With screen off it may last 3 days plus as per my estimates.

Dhiraj Ji, how does it compare with the Alcatel One Touch ?

Alcatel One Touch is a very basic android watch. It is a generation old. Though it is the same price as the Asus Zenwatch 2 @150$. It is smaller at 1.22" display compared to 1.63" display of the Zenwatch2, The display is 240 x 204 compared to 320x320 of the Asus. It has a TFT LCD compared to MOLED of the Asus which also has a higher pixel density of 278ppi compared to 258 of the Alcatel. The battery is also double at 400mAh compared to 210mAh of the Alcatel. The Asus has 4GB of internal memory and 512MB of RAM. Though the Alcatel is pretty decent for its price, it is just a generation too old and doesn't have the premium feel of the new offerings.

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 3

Experiencing ghost touch and some part of screen unresponsive. :( sad that this is happening so soon.

Experiencing ghost touch and some part of screen unresponsive. :( sad that this is happening so soon.

Remove your screen guard or tampered glass if any. It can hamper with proximity sensor etc. I have seen such case with friends using Asus.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk