Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
commonman

Linking Lyf mobile to router

I am having Wind4 handset. I am using it as hotspot. But I found that it has limited reange and the speed drops sharply if the connected device is at a distance of more than 6-7 feet.  I also have TPLink W8968 wifi router which supports USB 3G/4G dongle and one of the 4 LAN ports can be used as a E-WAN port with cable internet or other wired LAN. I was using this earlier with MTS dongle and its signal is strong enough for my whole flat.

Is there any way that Wind4 can be connected to with the router as the modem and other  devices connect with the router.

6 hours ago, commonman said:

I am having Wind4 handset. I am using it as hotspot. But I found that it has limited reange and the speed drops sharply if the connected device is at a distance of more than 6-7 feet.  I also have TPLink W8968 wifi router which supports USB 3G/4G dongle and one of the 4 LAN ports can be used as a E-WAN port with cable internet or other wired LAN. I was using this earlier with MTS dongle and its signal is strong enough for my whole flat.

Is there any way that Wind4 can be connected to with the router as the modem and other  devices connect with the router.

Simply connect your usb cable between phone and usb port in modem then  on usb tethering in phone try 3-4 tumes if it not work first it will work and if not reply

19 hours ago, commonman said:

You can buy a range extended...they are around 1000 bucks.

I have a similar setup, using raspberry pi as router using hostapd. Phone is connected to raspberry pi in usb tethered mode, and the USB wifi adapter on rapberry pi works as hostspot.

This is slightly complicated...let me know if you want to do this...i can help.

The easier option is to buy range extender.

try usb tethering in lyf handset..

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 dual sim using Tapatalk

USB tethering with TP link wont work. When USB tethered, android phones connect as RNDIS devices, not modem serial devices. I doubt if TPlink would have this driver build in.

Please try and share your findings.

@NanduNaada

Thanks.

USB tethering with W8968 did not work. Router did not recognise the mobile.

But your reference of range extender reminded me of the old TPLink MR3020 that I earlier used and I remembered it had some AP option. Fished it out. Searched on the web and found a few videos. In AP configuration it had the option of Repeater. Seems to be working. Though MR3020 does not provide as much range as W8968, still it now provides enough signal to access from most parts of my flat.

Only downside is, to use my printer via network, I have to switch to W6968.

Edited by commonman
  • Like 1

You can try OpenWRT on your router. I had read somewhere that it supports usb tethering on android phones.

6 hours ago, nibin said:

You can try OpenWRT on your router. I had read somewhere that it supports usb tethering on android phones.

yes you can..but you need advance router for it.  and go for the one with have openwrt support.  btw, some routers have inbuilt repeater feature and they are cheap 

i have used it with asus router old days i remember :D loads of tweaks. its bascially complete linux os. you can even attach hdd and load torrents files, control it remotely. and it will download torrent 24/7 :D independently. just router download stuffs directly into HDD. 

Edited by sunilromy

I m using Xiaomi Mi Wifi Mini router

using as repeater. I tried USB threading to router but it didn't work.

I am using it on netgear r7000 router loaded with Asus Merlin x-vortex firmware.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Connect a repeater, which has both WiFi and LAN ports.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Use any wifi router with wireless bridge feature, or use openwrt and use wifi as wan port and connect tethered n/w to it

cheapest openwrt router TPlink 841 version 11 it cost around 1000