Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
LTE4G

Reliance 4G/LTE Network Speed

I should admit that no matter what we say about Rcom, the 4G speed is quite satisfactory here in Mumbai.

Yesterday I downloaded 2.6GB data in 49 minutes ONLY. Means my data was downloaded at the average speed of 927KB per second (actual speed was fluctuating between 850KB to 1MB per second) N.B. KB = kilobyte here and not kilobits (Kb).

I am using Reliance 4G Data SIM in my mobile and using WiFi tethering to connect to PC. The mobile was kept indoors - inside the room on a table and signal was full.:wub:

Though happy with the speed but not Happy with the price Reliance is asking.:unexp:

I get the similar speed on my Vodafone connection (Vodafone was costlier hence I used RCDMA for Data - But Now Vodafone has become cheaper as they have almost reduced their prices by 42% under offers on *121#.

RCOM 4G speeds in Mumbai are better than Jio's 4G speed on Band 850, possibly due to lower number of 4G users of RCOM. But on Band 1800 and 2300, JIO has no match.

That's surprising considering both companies have their HQ in Mumbai. Anyhow I feel Jio will surely make it up.

Then it will be up to us as a customer to choose between the 2 networks either the one with fall back to traditional network for Voice calls and for places where there is no coverage or to one which will provide you constant LTE coverage and Digital voice over LTE.

I am getting 8-10 mbps speeds in Kolkata in Rcom LTE and 7-8 mbps speeds in JIO, both indoors.

Edited by commonman

2 minutes ago, dskumar said:

That's surprising considering both companies have their HQ in Mumbai. Anyhow I feel Jio will surely make it up.

Then it will be up to us as a customer to choose between the 2 networks either the one with fall back to traditional network for Voice calls and for places where there is no coverage or to one which will provide you constant LTE coverage and Digital voice over LTE.

Rcom's the so called traditional network for voice call is very poor.

Jio VoLTE quality is very good. though still have some connectivity issues with other networks.

Rcom PAN India coverage is good <-> so is Jio now.

Rcom 850MHz Band is plus <-> Now the same is also available for Jio users.

Pricing - Reliance has SHOCKED every CDMA user - People have great expectations from Jio's commercial launch.

So Jio has a upper hand since VoLTE will provide better quality as well as better connectivity indoors using 850Mhz Band for voice too.

Reliance 2G/3G is very bad in case of indoor connectivity as well as voice quality.

45 minutes ago, dskumar said:

+ Those wanting to have better coverage would choose JIO over RCOM.

I have both RCOM and JIO connections with me.

Last week on my way to my mother's place in central Kerala, I found that JIO has better coverage in remote areas than RCOM for voice at least. RCOM I found coverage almost nil at many places on the way.

4 hours ago, nibin said:

+ Those wanting to have better coverage would choose JIO over RCOM.

I have both RCOM and JIO connections with me.

Last week on my way to my mother's place in central Kerala, I found that JIO has better coverage in remote areas than RCOM for voice at least. RCOM I found coverage almost nil at many places on the way.

Reason: JIO needs only LTE network connectivity for voice and data whereas RCOM depends on 2G/3G network for voice. So even if RCOM is connected to 4G/LTE (Shared Network with JIO) still it will not be able to fulfill voice calls since RCOM 2G/3G network is not synchronized with 4G network of JIO. If someone tries your number - you will be out of reach. though you are connected to 4G network using JIO's shared tower, which is very BAD.

9 hours ago, LTE4G said:

Reason: JIO needs only LTE network connectivity for voice and data whereas RCOM depends on 2G/3G network for voice. So even if RCOM is connected to 4G/LTE (Shared Network with JIO) still it will not be able to fulfill voice calls since RCOM 2G/3G network is not synchronized with 4G network of JIO. If someone tries your number - you will be out of reach. though you are connected to 4G network using JIO's shared tower, which is very BAD.

Then what will be RCOMs value proposition once JIO is launched. Why would somebody use RCOM?

1 hour ago, nibin said:

Then what will be RCOMs value proposition once JIO is launched. Why would somebody use RCOM?

Good question.

Rcom has added advantage of 2G as well as 3G network. Only thing is that they should improve their service by providing better coverage. Which I believe they must be now concentrating on after closer of their CDMA Network.

No doubt CDMA Network of Reliance was very good and cheaper too.

So now they can offer cheaper data as 3G too. So the customer can choose either 4G/3G or 3G Only data option.

Having extra 2G and 3G tower apart from the 4G will also save them for network congestion as the load of users will be distributed.

Vodafone has quite good 2G as well as 3G coverage in Mumbai.

Further the most important thing is that if they implement VoLTE then they will have an upper edge over JIO.

At present Jio is on look out for new customers whereas Rcom already has enough subscribers which they can retain only if they take some serious and effective steps with regards to their 2G and 3G services.

Edited by LTE4G
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, LTE4G said:

Further the most important thing is that if they implement VoLTE then they will have an upper edge over JIO.

This is very important. Unless they implement VoLTE, it doesn't really make sense for people with 4g handsets to stick with RCOM. At least in states like kerala where they don't have 3G network at all. Moreover, the voice clarity is below average in my place at least.

One thing I heard from one of the old employees of RCOM is that they are currently concentrating on the Aircel merger not on any network expansion. In fact he also told me that though it is projected as a merger, it's more like selling RCOMs wireless business to Aircel and most of the key positions in the company would be taken up by Aircel employees. Not sure how far this is true. But I believe it to some extend with my experience of sending a mail to RCOM appelette authority and I am yet to get an acknowledgement or response of some sort even after 3 weeks. It seems that RCOM doesn't really care about their current customers. They are busy selling their company to Aircel.

• Like 1