Cheers ................................

I have just installed FC3 from PCQ. i am a newbie+ to linux :P

I have just installed FC3 from PCQ. i am a newbie+ to linux :P

32145[/snapback]

Kuel :-) so how do you find it in context of usefullness, user friendly

and accessibility. What are the major problems you faced while installing

and using it.

Cheers ................................

Have been using Linux since 1999 on my personal machine (long time ehhh...). Started off with Mandrake, flirted a bit with Suse but am now happily married to Gentoo for the past 2 years. Simply love the customizability and optimal performance. Have never liked Redhat (or Fedora), I feel its more like MS (its comletely a personal opinion, so do NOT flame me). And since I started using Gentoo, I have done away with Windows too :P

Have been running a few servers too since 2002 (all on Suse)

I hv 2 OS installed on my system: Windows XP & Linux!

In Linux I found SUSE the BEST!!!

gr8 look & gr8 customizations. :P

And runs smoothly.

I found it the fastest Linux distribution among all, like Mandrake, Red Hat, FC & others!

Have been using Linux since 1999 on my personal machine (long time ehhh...). Started off with Mandrake, flirted a bit with Suse but am now happily married to Gentoo for the past 2 years. Simply love the customizability and optimal performance. Have never liked Redhat (or Fedora), I feel its more like MS (its comletely a personal opinion, so do NOT flame me). And since I started using Gentoo, I have done away with Windows too :P

Have been running a few servers too since 2002 (all on Suse)

32147[/snapback]

Great :-),

Anything else you want to have from the distribution you r using, but missing ? :-).

Cheers ........................

I hv 2 OS installed on my system: Windows XP & Linux!

In Linux I found SUSE the BEST!!!

gr8 look & gr8 customizations. :P

And runs smoothly.

I found it the fastest Linux distribution among all, like Mandrake, Red Hat, FC & others!

32151[/snapback]

Hey man did you tried all the above listed distribution ?

Cheers ...........................

Of course!

I hv used all these listed distributions!

Red Hat & FC take a lot space & run slowly.

Mandrake is good But SUSE is the best.

It takes fewer space than others & runs faster!!!

I liked it.

Great :-),

Anything else you want to have from distribution your using, but missing :-).

32153[/snapback]

Not exactly from Gentoo, coz it has almost anything, but still some things will forward Linux a lot if available. eg: Voice chat on yahoo (otherwise Kopete rocks!!!), A good way to run MS Office (Crossover is not comaptible with O2k3 and Star/Open Office is way too behind) and maybe a few softwares to connect to my mobile :clap:

Of course!

I liked it.

32155[/snapback]

Reserve your comments on speed till you use Gentoo :P , though installing gentoo is a little bit time consuming (it took me 4 days for a stage 1 install :clap: ) but then the speed it gives is worth it. My old P3 works like a charm on Gentoo, though latest versions of Suse too make it sluggish

Not exactly from Gentoo, coz it has almost anything, but still some things will forward Linux a lot if available. eg: Voice chat on yahoo (otherwise Kopete rocks!!!), A good way to run MS Office (Crossover is not comaptible with O2k3 and Star/Open Office is way too behind) and maybe a few softwares to connect to my mobile :P

32156[/snapback]

Voice chat for yahoo on linux try

http://www.phrozensmoke.com/projects/pyvoicechat/

Development for the voice chat and web cam support in yahoo and msn protocols

is underway for kopete, I hope by next major kde release you will have these

facilities.

We will talk about running O2K3 on linux using crossover/wine combo later :-).

Cheers .............................

Of course!

I liked it.

32155[/snapback]

So you're totaly satisfied with suse as complete os :-).

Ummm what are the most common things that makes you

boot into MS world.

Cheers ...............................

Let me tell u one thing!

I don't use linux regularly!

I mean i do all my job in Windows XP.

I hv installed Linux only for interest.

I liked its look and i wanted to hv Linux installed on my machine.

Thats all!

So don't think that i'm totally satisfied with SUSE as complete OS.

I found Windows more user friendly and easy to use than Linux.

And many softwares like s/w for mobiles and many others r only available for windows not 4 linux!

So i prefer windows.

Let me tell u one thing!

I don't use linux regularly!

I mean i do all my job in Windows XP.

I hv installed Linux only for interest.

I liked its look and i wanted to hv Linux installed on my machine.

Thats all!

So don't think that i'm totally satisfied with SUSE as complete OS.

I found Windows more user friendly and easy to use than Linux.

And many softwares like s/w for mobiles and many others r only available for windows not 4 linux!

So i prefer windows.

32161[/snapback]

Great @ least you got some intrest in it :-)

For the mobile software on linux can you check this

site, it may have something for you.

http://tuxmobil.org/

http://kmobiletools.berlios.de/

Cheers ...........................

I have jus "heard" alot abt Linux. Nvr got my hands on it. Can some1 tell me some pros and cons of having Linux on a machine? If i have to install Linux on a P4,2.4Ghz,128MB Ram Machine, which would be the suitable Distribution?

The names of the various distributions that u guys have spoken abt are like various versions of Linux or are they completely independent things working on the backbone of Linux?

Would features like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Or my CAD Softwares like AutoCAD 2004-06 or Autodesk REVIT be compatible with LINUX?

Would like to hear more from u techies!

Linux world is based on the open source software developed by numerous developers across the globe. Different flavours of Linux are actaually different packaging of the same core with differnt toppings.

While all distributions would essentialy comprise of a linux kernel, an X system (x,org), a desktop environment (eg KDE, Gnome), a few servers etc, they differ in the default choices. Also, all distributions provide differnt customizations, and custom built graphical user interfaces for configuring the OS. Though they still might be using the same thing in the background.

Then there are some distributions like Gentoo, which have taken on the benefits of BSD (the portage system) and merged it with linux. So its like eating the vanilla ice-cream from different campanies and topping it with the syrup of your choice. You can have it as plain vanilla or make a sundae out of it :P

I have jus "heard" alot abt Linux. Nvr got my hands on it. Can some1 tell me some pros and cons of having Linux on a machine? If i have to install Linux on a P4,2.4Ghz,128MB Ram Machine, which would be the suitable Distribution?

The names of the various distributions that u guys have spoken abt are like various versions of Linux or are they completely independent things working on the backbone of Linux?

Would features like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Or my CAD Softwares like AutoCAD 2004-06 or Autodesk REVIT be compatible with LINUX?

Would like to hear more from u techies!

32169[/snapback]

Few of the advantages of having linux as your OS are, no more frequent virus

problem, no more frequent reboots, no more hardware lockups, effecient

use of your hardware resources.

Few of the disadvantages of having linux as your os are, you may miss some

of your favorite apps, you may need to get your hand dirty with it to use it

more efficiently :-).

You can try fedora, core 4 will release by next month, or you can try suse

http://fedora.redhat.com

http://www.novell.com/linux/suse/index.html

I personnely think installation of gentoo for a new linux user is a daunting task :-).

Linux is a kernel { core of any os }, nearlly all linux distribution use the same

set of core programs and utilities, only differ in the way of customization, configurea-

bility and support.

For MS OFFICE replacement on linux there are office suites like openoffice/Koffice/

abiword, but you may find some feaures missing in context of MS OFFICE.

No autodesk dont have autocad for linux, but there are some native cad applications

for linux.

http://www.linuxcad.com/

http://www.varicad.com/

P.S

Guyz if you're going to install linux as your os and you're new to it then

please follows following suggestions before connecting it to internet.

Switch off all unnecessary services running by default, install a firewall,

personnaly I recommend www.shorewall.net.

If you have some specific question regarding the installation of linux you

can ask :-)

Cheers ............................

If you have some specific question regarding the installation of linux you

can ask :-)

32189[/snapback]

Thnx dacodecz & Puneet for ur detailed explanations. ;)

Umm, The virus on my Comp is pretty under control now. But i soon shall be formatting the entire HDD and wont be importing any of the old data to avoid the virus on the clean HDD. So i want to experiment a lil with it. Reason being, i simply want to try out Linux, but then there are ppl at home, who wouldnt be able to do without their Windows. Sopes, as Vishal says, he uses both the OS on the same machine.

For which i'd have to have a Linux Setup Proggie with me. I already have a WinXP with me.

1. Are Linux Setups downloadable in relatively good time? How heavy is the Setup?

2. What shud i install first? WindowsXP or Linux?

3. After installing the 1st, how do i install the second? Bootable CD or something?

4. It would be gr8 to have a step-by-step thing, so that i can take a print and follow the instructions! Do drop ur phone numbers, which i can use in times of trouble ;)

1. Are Linux Setups downloadable in relatively good time? How heavy is the Setup?

All Linux distributions contains 3 CDS data approx.

But some ditributions like SUSE & other contains only 1 CD.

Means u hv to d/l at least 700 MB of data or u can purchase CD from any shop near U.

U should install Windows first, otherwise it'll overwrite the Linux Boot-loader and U'll not be able to boot into Linux.

3. After installing the 1st, how do i install the second? Bootable CD or something?

Yah! After installing Windows U hv to boot either using bootable Linux CD or floppy, then follow the steps in wizard.

Mandriva Linux, (formerly Mandrake Linux) is one of the easiest to setup in your computer as it has a fully menu driven interface for installation. Check out their Hindi website !

Regarding the "heaviness of the setup", even though Linux distributions come in 3 or more CDs, only 1 CD is required for the real installation. The other CDs contain applications, games, etc. of which you may not use all. So just download the main CD (yes, 700 MB is tough) and download applications, etc. seperately as most of them are available with GPL/Open Source license for free download.

Ubuntu Linux is gaining in popularity now, for its easiness and reliability since it is built on Debian Linux. Debian is one of the most reliable Linux distribution alongside Red Hat Linux.

Well, these are from my researches on the net, and not from my *actual* experiences since I'm still living in the Windoze world (sic!). One of the main drawbacks in migrating from Windows to Linux is that one will miss his/her favourite applications/softwares, even though there are alternatives to some extent in Linux. So a person who migrates from Windows to Linux will always prefer to install both as a dual boot. And thats what I'm going to do too. I'll be *getting my hands dirty* with Fedora Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (since its used in our server, I'd like to gain more experience on it) after I buy a new HDD this month end.

---snip---

4. It would be gr8 to have a step-by-step thing, so that i can take a print and follow the instructions! Do drop ur phone numbers, which i can use in times of trouble ;)

32206[/snapback]

Ok here are the some information that I would like to share with you regarding the

installation of linux and winxp, I assume you're having single hard disk { installation

on dual hard disk is not much different }. I wont be giving installation instructions

about any specific linux distribution, it would be generic only. The information here is

for stand alone machine having no network card or part of a LAN.

If you want information regarding some specific linux distribution feel free to ask.

1. Install winxp first, create partition for it, and leave some unpartitioned space

for the linux { to start 10/20 GB would be sufficient }.

2. After finishing the basic installation of windows xp, also install ms recovery console

it will help if anything go wrong with XP setup.

3. Boot from the linux cd and follow the installation instructions.

When asked to create linux partitions never go with the automatic partition creation,

It might ruin your XP setup, so slect manual and enter the following informatiom.

Create a patition for /, allocate the 75% of your remaining disk space to this partition,

choose the filesystem to be of type ext3.

Create a partiton for swap, general rule for calculation of swap space depends upon

amount of RAM you're having, mutiply it with 2.5 and that is your swap space require-

ment.

If you still left with some disk space then create a new partition, name it whatever you

want to, select fs type to be of ext3 and assign all the remaining space to it.

When asked for configuring boot loader then do select it. Grub and lilo are the

most common ones.

When asked for creating a user, do create one.

4. Follow rest of the installation, try to install everything first { since you're new, your

exploration will teach you what you need to have and what not }, you can uninstall

everything you don't require later without any problem.

5. If your linux distribution have an option to load xwindows directly then select

it, it will directly load the GUI of linux without requiring you to type any command,

and you will skip the console login. If there is not any option like this no problem

I will show you how to do that.

6. If everthing goes well than you will finish with linux installation. After reboot you will

see grub or lilo boot menu, you will find entries for XP and linux there, by default

it will load the linux first after a timeout of 5/15 seconds. But we can change it according

to our need.

7. Boot into linux and watch for any warning or error message and if you find one then

note it down it will help us to solve the problem. If you did'nt had an option for loading

x-windows directly then booting sequence will stop at the console login prompt.

Log in as root and type the following commands to make your linux load x-windows

directly.

vi /etc/inittab

Once you get the file opened search for something like this

id:3:initdefault:

after finding it press insert key of your keyboard to get the vi into editing mode

change the 3 to 5 and press escape key then press :wq and you're done with it.

From next time linux GUI will be loaded automaticly, for now type

telinit 5, and you will find yourself in the linux GUI, if there is an option for selecting

the session type then do select the window manager of your choice { personaly I

prefer kde }. Log in to the user account we have created in step 3.

8. Now we will do a basic security configuration of the system. Navigate the menu

system and find out an entry for shell or console, most probably you will find it in

System utilities or utilities of the menu system, click on it and you will have a

console window. type 'su -' and enter your root password, be warned now you are

working as root with full access to everything.

First find out what network services are running on the system by typing the

following command

netstat -avnutp | grep LISTEN

We would like to disable all network services excpet the bind/named and cupd.

{ There are distribution specific tools to start/stop enable/disbale services, but

as I said I am giving here the generic instructions only. I wont be using those

tools, if you want to know more about the tools on a particular linux distribution,

ask me :-) }

type command

cd /etc/rc.d; ls

here we will be interested in directories named rc2.d rc3.d rc4.d rc5.d

get into these directories and remove file name you find in the last column

of the output of command

netstat -avnutp | grep LISTEN

Leave the entries for bind/named and cupsd, you can remove files in linux using

command 'rm <filename>'.

Now stop all those services except the bind/named and cupsd by typing following

command one by one for all the names we found in netstat comand.

kill -SIGQUIT <name found in the output of netstat -avnutp | grep LISTEN>

confirm this by executing the netstat command again, if everything gone well you wont

find anything except the names for bind/named and cupsd.

9. Now lets secure the bind/named by making it listen to our local interface only, BTW

because we installed everything and almost all linux distribution comes with a caching

nameserver for bind/named, we will be using this configuration. It will resolv dns name

to ip address so we can browse the internet w/o any problem.

open file /etc/named.conf using vi

in the options section add these entries

listen-on { 127.0.0.1 ; };

forwarders {

202.138.103.100;

202.138.96.2;

};

save the file and close it, ip address in the forwarders subsection is of reliance.

open file /etc/resolv.conf

and add entries

domain .

nameserver 127.0.0.1

save the file and close it.

10. Now lets secure the cupsd this program is resonsible for the printing services

on linux, but by default it's open to the whole world :-(, so here we will restrict

it's access from local machine only.

open file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Search for the section "Access Permissions" and type the following text

<Location />

Encryption IfRequested

Satisfy All

Order deny,allow

Deny From All

Allow From 127.0.0.1

</Location>

<Location /admin>

AuthType Basic

AuthClass System

Encryption IfRequested

Satisfy All

Order deny,allow

Deny From All

Allow From 127.0.0.1

</Location>

Now search for the following entries and configure it as given below

HostnameLookups Off

KeepAlive Off

Listen 127.0.0.1:631

Save the file and close it.

11. Now let's secure or system little more.

Open file /etc/host.conf, remove everything there by default and enter following text

order hosts,bind

nospoof on

spoofalert on

spoof on

Save and close the file.

Now open file /etc/hosts.allow and enter following text.

ALL: 127.0.0.1

Save and close the file.

Now open file /etc/hosts.deny and enter the following text.

ALL:ALL@ALL,PARANOID

ALL:0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

Save and close the file.

11. Type CTRL+d to logout from root console and reboot the system.

If everything gone well you will be prompted for username and password

at the linux GUI login console :-)

Ok guyz enough for now, next time I will show you how to install and create

firewall rules for your desktop to secure it from the wild internet.

Cheers ............................

whoa, that was an excellent tutorial, dacodecz ! thanks for encouraging us to explore into Linux ! its time for me to pin this topic ;)

WOW dacodecz, i envy your patience to post this long :)

Well, I am a Linux user since someitme now. I have 3 systems two of which have FC2. The third has only WinXP. One system triple boots with WinXP, WinME and FC2. I don't use windoze anymore. It's just for my family.

Well, I am a Linux user since someitme now. I have 3 systems two of which have FC2. The third has only WinXP. One system triple boots with WinXP, WinME and FC2. I don't use windoze anymore. It's just for my family.

32271[/snapback]

Dear linuxguy,

So what things you like or dislike about it comparing to MS os :-). What more features you

want to have in it or are you completly satisfied with the distribution you are using.

BTW please also consider from the context of a windows user while giving the feedback.

Cheers ..............................

I jus read an article on OpenSource at Express Computers Journal dated 23-05-2005. Did any1 go thru it?